Fire Emblem Forever (status: dead?)

Krad

And Tinny?

Glass cannon.

chapter 6 is a little bit odd. is there supposed to be some sort of reinforcement trigger around kempf? after i cleared the first wave of mounties, i realized that i could just drop seliph and shanan inside the alster blockades and seize without as much as doing anything.

Reinforcements from Alster appear for 3-4 turns the turn after you seize Melgen. You could skip them if you use Fee to fly Seliph over the Alster blockades, but then you have a harder Kempf battle (since he's on the castle) and you miss out on Tinny.

(and where the heck did anyone find a promo item in chapter 4)

Visit the village closest to Rivough (the one that gives a Steel Bow) with Seliph.

I'll try to release a bugfix patch this weekend fixing as much as I can of what has been mentioned, but knowing my past release schedules, I won't make any promises.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what's in the chapter 9 chests?

a couple of words of feedback:

chapter 6 - man, those reinforcements from the forts near darna and melgen were a pain in the butt. you can't pick them off the turn they appear because you will probably miss and/or eat a counter and then get killed by the other reinforcements. blocking them occupies 3 of your units. they also happen to come up right when you're just about on top of them.

i wasn't aware that i could seize darna and melgen at all at first. isn't there some way to change the objective mid-map using a LOMA code? perhaps you can make seizing all 3 castles mandatory, because this really confused me.

chapter 7 - 20 turns defense is too long. most players would probably be able to rout nearly the entire map before the 20 turns are up. i'm guessing that chapter 7 is based somewhat off FE5 chapter 20, which was only 15 turns defense. i'd personally try 16 turns maximum for this map. also consider adding enemies entering the door near the armory as well.

for the actual map itself, i never felt a need to defend the top right entrance. i don't think many enemies will enter that way.

chapter 7x - no criticism; this is a good map.

chapter 8 - it would be nice if you introduced some reinforcements from the left side of the map every few turns. after i cleared out most of the enemies by turn 6, the rest of the map was just running away from ishtar on the right while the guys on the left did nothing.

I'm now playing chapter six and I'm really enjoying it. My only complain is about the AI of chapter 5 ally units, the troubadors can heal from far but they always go to a square next to the unit they want heal and sometimes they have more than one unit in range and they heal the unit that has almost full hp instead of healing the one that is almost dead. They also have suicidal tendencies, they always go to squares next to enemy units when they can't heal. Other than that I'm liking the game so far.

Edited by Warg

in chapter 10, eyvel is selectable from the unit screen - which i think is intentional - but there is no indication in the chapter dialogue beforehand that she is.

EDIT: just noticed this. if you restart chapter 10 from the save select screen, there's a "one year later..." screen at the beginning of the chapter, whereas it doesn't appear if you continued directly from the previous chapter.

EDIT 2: you can't select eyvel in chapter 10x, so i'm guessing that her being selectable in chapter 10 is an oversight.

EDIT 3: am i correct in assuming that the objective of chapter 10x is to:

seize the gate after forcing veld to escape? isn't it possible to change the map objective with a LOMA code instead of (i'm assuming you're using this) a tile change? also, the default map objective seems to have a period at the end.

Edited by dondon151

I'm really enjoying this hack so far. Keep up the good work Krad! By the way, if it isn't too much trouble, could someone please tell me the requirements for the gaiden chapters?

1x = Talk to Seliph with Oifey

4x = No requirements

7x = Don't kill the boss of Chapter 7 and have Shanan alive

10x = Have Julia fight Raydrik and have Ares alive

chapter 6 - man, those reinforcements from the forts near darna and melgen were a pain in the butt. you can't pick them off the turn they appear because you will probably miss and/or eat a counter and then get killed by the other reinforcements. blocking them occupies 3 of your units. they also happen to come up right when you're just about on top of them.

They are only 3-4 waves of each ones, so I didn't think they would be too hard. I guess that changes quite a bit when you're actually going fast.

i wasn't aware that i could seize darna and melgen at all at first. isn't there some way to change the objective mid-map using a LOMA code? perhaps you can make seizing all 3 castles mandatory, because this really confused me.

I thought about making them mandatory at first, but eventually settled down on making Darna optional and Melgen sort of optional. I can probably make them obligatory if people want it like that, but I like it the way it is right now.

chapter 7 - 20 turns defense is too long. most players would probably be able to rout nearly the entire map before the 20 turns are up. i'm guessing that chapter 7 is based somewhat off FE5 chapter 20, which was only 15 turns defense. i'd personally try 16 turns maximum for this map. also consider adding enemies entering the door near the armory as well.

for the actual map itself, i never felt a need to defend the top right entrance. i don't think many enemies will enter that way.

I'll probably end up shortening this chapter eventually. I originally made it so long so one could get all chests in that chapter (there were more originally).

chapter 8 - it would be nice if you introduced some reinforcements from the left side of the map every few turns. after i cleared out most of the enemies by turn 6, the rest of the map was just running away from ishtar on the right while the guys on the left did nothing.

Will probably do.

I'm now playing chapter six and I'm really enjoying it. My only complain is about the AI of chapter 5 ally units, the troubadors can heal from far but they always go to a square next to the unit they want heal and sometimes they have more than one unit in range and they heal the unit that has almost full hp instead of healing the one that is almost dead. They also have suicidal tendencies, they always go to squares next to enemy units when they can't heal. Other than that I'm liking the game so far.

Can't really do much about the AI, sorry. That was the best I could get after messing with the AI for a bit.

in chapter 10, eyvel is selectable from the unit screen - which i think is intentional - but there is no indication in the chapter dialogue beforehand that she is.

EDIT: just noticed this. if you restart chapter 10 from the save select screen, there's a "one year later..." screen at the beginning of the chapter, whereas it doesn't appear if you continued directly from the previous chapter.

EDIT 2: you can't select eyvel in chapter 10x, so i'm guessing that her being selectable in chapter 10 is an oversight.

Yeah, Eyvel isn't supposed to be selectable in 10. And the "One Year Later" screen is weird, will fix next version.

EDIT 3: am i correct in assuming that the objective of chapter 10x is to:

seize the gate after forcing veld to escape? isn't it possible to change the map objective with a LOMA code instead of (i'm assuming you're using this) a tile change? also, the default map objective seems to have a period at the end.

The objective is still to defeat the boss, but it's a different one.

Just finished 10x so here comes comprehensive comments. I'll use proper capitalization to make this easier on your eyes.

Also I'm a stat whore when growths are involved...

aresc.pngarthure.png

Ares: a pretty solid unit; not much else to say. His start is a little lackluster because his base speed doesn't let him double everything right off the bat, but I think it's better this way because he'd be way too good otherwise.

Arthur: I unabashedly admit that I probably RNG abused this guy's growths a little bit, but a mounted magic user just sounds really good and this combination of power, 1-2 range, and mobility is extremely potent. Arthur was my third promotion and I was a little disappointed that MK has 7 move instead of 8, but again, I think it's better this way because 8 move MK would be amazing. Doesn't valkyrie have 8 move, though? You might want to consider dropping that to 7 as well as a matter of consistency and balance.

delmud.pngfeecg.png

Delmud: exactly what you'd expect from an early joining cavalier. I don't think his offensive stats are supposed to be this good at 18/2, though? I got lucky with his speed growths early on and he was basically my go-to offensive unit after Oifey. He's also probably a little res screwed because that 6 res is after a barrier ring.

By the way, fpr some reason delmud got S lances immediately after he promoted. I don't mind, because I like lances more than swords in this hack and he would have still had E lances anyway, but I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

Fee: I probably RNG abused this gal's growths too. She has a bit of a hole to dig out of immediately upon joining because her parameters are pretty bad aside from speed and she doesn't have the sword rank to use anything better than an Iron Sword. I think it's fair this way. She got a Shield Ring to facilitate training in chapter 7. I do think that her exact joining situation in chapter 3 (with Arthur) is a little rough, because it's way too easy to get a little unlucky and end up wasting many turns hiding and healing.

finnr.pngjuliaq.png

Finn: man, fucking amazing unit.

Julia: I just had her take a kill here and there and I am certain that some of those stats are way above average. I think that near-exclusive access to Alba is a decent incentive to use her despite her shortcomings, so props to you for that.

lanao.pngleif.png

Lana: using Lana is almost mandatory given that she is the only healer until chapter 6. She ended up promoting at L16 prior to chapter 10x, which I thought was surprisingly high. The staff EXP seems just right for a player like me but it might be a touch high for slower players. I'm not going to complain, though.

Leif: how many maps is Leif mandatory for? He doesn't really bring anything special to the table, but he's not bad, and he can gain EXP pretty easily with the Light Sword. The Light Sword is what really makes him usable. If it weren't for the fact that he's forced in a handful of maps, or that his promotion might actually be awesome, I wouldn't consider using him.

lesterd.pngnanna.png

Lester: so the problem with Lester is that he's absolutely atrocious if his speed growth doesn't stay on track and he stops doubling. He also gains EXP more slowly than everyone else because of bow lock. Honestly, I don't know if this is a problem that you should try to fix, because Lester is okay, but not amazing, and not everyone can be amazing.

I do think bow knights should at least get C swords on promo, though. Being stuck to Iron Swords and Iron Blades means that his sword rank isn't going anywhere.

Nanna: I love troubadours. Next.

oifey.pngseliph.png

Oifey: amazing unit. Looking back at his bases, I got some amazing luck with his growths, especially his def. He started trailing off in chapter 8 or so but got right back on track with the chapter 9 Speed Ring. I'm not really sure how one would go about balancing this guy because you kind of need him early on in order to really do anything quickly. Maybe it's better not to. The only thing that I can think of is to knock down a couple of his base stats by 1 point and reduce his base level to 1 or 2.

Seliph: man, Seliph sucks. He got a couple of good level ups in chapter 10x before I took this screen, but he was getting doubled before that and 3-4RKO'd enemies in return. The Vitanova is better than a Rapier, but not by much, and I never got the impression that it came in that useful even with the effective bonus against cavalry and armors. If I had to pick between having Seliph or Leif as the lord forced in every map, I'd pick Leif every single time because of the Light Sword. I suppose he'll be amazing regardless once he promotes and obtains the Tyrfing, since I'd imagine that he'll promote into Sigurd's class.

shananl.png

Shanan: best bosskiller, but not too great at other things because of no mount and sword lock. This one is str blessed but he doesn't really even need it since he just needs to crit with the Relic Sword or Balmung and the opponent is dead. Even though Shanan is absurdly powerful, I never got the impression that he was broken, because once other units starting ORKOing consistently and Finn came along with the Hero Lance, I sometimes chose not to deploy Shanan at all because he wouldn't be doing anything.

Map design

I really enjoyed some of the later chapters, but they did seem a little lacking in terms of content, some of it maybe due to not being fully playtested, some of it due to the player having much better units. I already commented on chapters 7 and 8. Chapter 9 was more or less just right. Chapter 10 was actually pretty good, but I felt like the middle group didn't have much to do until I activated the switches, and I could almost ignore the left and right groups after I activated the switches. Perhaps consider adding something to make the actions of one group of units more visibly affect another group of units. In chapter 24 of FE5, the right group mainly served to knock out all of the dark mages that had some nasty status staves capable of targeting the rest of the map, for instance. You'd probably want to avoid status staves this early in the game, but there are other options.

Conversely, some of the earlier chapters were almost excruciating. Again, some of this is due to units getting way better post-promotion. However, the outdoor maps have this tendency to bottle you up in certain places on the map, which I'm sure is intentional, but given the already-huge length of the maps themselves, it just feels like a chore to complete. Foot units have a tendency to fall behind and never catch up.

Chapter 2 is especially painful and I can't think of a good way to change it. Looking at the FE4 chapter 6 map, it seems that the map is not so much desert as it is sand with a patch of grass in the middle. Perhaps you can find a way to accommodate that in an updated map.

Strangely enough, I didn't mind chapter 5 too much. Desert is more bearable with a flier, 2 (or 3 counting Salem) mages, and a bosskiller that already starts right where you want him to. As a tangent, I think that desert maps are way more enjoyable with FEDS scale movement (most foot units have 3 move in desert) as opposed to GBA scale movement (unpromoted foot units have 2 move). I also didn't mind the snowy maps - this is probably because reduced movement is not a big deal when the objective is defense.

Characters

I don't have very much to say regarding specific units in particular. My impression is that axe users got the short end of the stick as a result of what you did with the weapon type and the classes that use them. Given the huge MT disparity between swords and axes of the same echelon, I sort of see what you're trying to do, but none of the axe users appeared effective. I ignored Johalva, Halvan, and Orsin because they weren't mounted (Johalva might be better off as, like, a brigand or something, for the sake of diversity and so that he doesn't get shafted by the chapter 5 desert). Johalva and Halvan are also slow. I tried using Johan, but the hit rates left much to be desired, and Great Knight didn't seem as appealing of a promotion option as Paladin because GKs have 7 move. In the end, I only ended up using Glade from time to time as a filler unit.

Lance users such as Finn and Oifey tend to have just the right combination of speed and atk to double and ORKO a lot of common enemy types, but sword and axe users fell short in some respects. As I've said already, axe users tend to be slow (I suppose Orsin and a promoted Ulster would be exceptions), so their offense doesn't compare even with axes having +3 MT on lances. Sword users end up doubling the same kinds of enemies but doing 6 HP fewer damage because lances have +3 MT on swords. Blades are not a strong enough alternate option for sword users because a Steel Blade has only +2 MT on a Steel Sword in exchange for -20 hit and +3 WT.

As for specific units, Faval seems rather underpowered when you compare him to Ced, who not only has staves, but has higher speed and a higher offensive stat that targets a generally lower defensive stat. 18 spd starts to fall short of doubling common enemy types as early as chapter 10. Perhaps consider moving a couple of points of str into spd (for Faval). Danstil is actually not that bad in chapter 6, but he's immediately outclassed by Glade in chapter 7. I appreciate the effort that you put into trying to differentiate the magic users, but consider giving Salem something else that he could take advantage of.

tl;dr wow this was a lot longer than I had thought. I was very pleased overall with the design. Keep up the good work.

Edited by dondon151

In chapter 7, I found the time limit very generous for everything but the middle of the map with the General and the Master Seal Hero - it's risky to push out beyond the cramped quarters just outside the door because there are a lot of enemies with decent hit rates coming after you there, and the General is a big roadblock. My best units were fending off the wyvern reinforcements, so I had nobody who could just wade in with 1-2 range and kill everything. I only managed to get the Hero on turn 18, I think; maybe I could improve on that time with a different strategy.

Chapter 8 was much simpler. Shanan can hold off the western enemies all by himself, and if you send some units up the northern path, Ishtar will chase after them and will never even get near you before the chapter ends. I never got to visit the houses in the northeast; is there anything in them, or are they just decoration?

Also, the 'Glacier' tiles dont give any movement penalties (at least not to Paladins), though it doesn't really affect anything.

As for characters, I found Tinny a bit average. She doesn't start with enough speed to double much, which hurts her XP gain compared to the other mages. Arthur has a solid availability lead and a horse when he promotes, Julia has Alba and great magic (capped at 15/0), and Asvel rams his speed caps really quickly. My Tinny had 15 in speed and magic - admittedly she was only at level 13, but all my other magic users except Salem had already equaled or surpassed that. Maybe it was just my playthrough, but there wasn't much incentive to use her by the time you get her.

Just some suggestions; I've much enjoyed playing this hack overall.

There's a character named Harpy and I'm known as Harpy at times.

ILU <3

Also Finn is kind of like fe6 Miledy in the sense of great bases+class and runs around raping shit.

MU GBA edition? What?

Edited by Inspector Clouseau

Just finished 10x so here comes comprehensive comments. I'll use proper capitalization to make this easier on your eyes.

Also I'm a stat whore when growths are involved...

aresc.pngarthure.png

Ares: a pretty solid unit; not much else to say. His start is a little lackluster because his base speed doesn't let him double everything right off the bat, but I think it's better this way because he'd be way too good otherwise.

Arthur: I unabashedly admit that I probably RNG abused this guy's growths a little bit, but a mounted magic user just sounds really good and this combination of power, 1-2 range, and mobility is extremely potent. Arthur was my third promotion and I was a little disappointed that MK has 7 move instead of 8, but again, I think it's better this way because 8 move MK would be amazing. Doesn't valkyrie have 8 move, though? You might want to consider dropping that to 7 as well as a matter of consistency and balance.

delmud.pngfeecg.png

Delmud: exactly what you'd expect from an early joining cavalier. I don't think his offensive stats are supposed to be this good at 18/2, though? I got lucky with his speed growths early on and he was basically my go-to offensive unit after Oifey. He's also probably a little res screwed because that 6 res is after a barrier ring.

By the way, fpr some reason delmud got S lances immediately after he promoted. I don't mind, because I like lances more than swords in this hack and he would have still had E lances anyway, but I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

Fee: I probably RNG abused this gal's growths too. She has a bit of a hole to dig out of immediately upon joining because her parameters are pretty bad aside from speed and she doesn't have the sword rank to use anything better than an Iron Sword. I think it's fair this way. She got a Shield Ring to facilitate training in chapter 7. I do think that her exact joining situation in chapter 3 (with Arthur) is a little rough, because it's way too easy to get a little unlucky and end up wasting many turns hiding and healing.

finnr.pngjuliaq.png

Finn: man, fucking amazing unit.

Julia: I just had her take a kill here and there and I am certain that some of those stats are way above average. I think that near-exclusive access to Alba is a decent incentive to use her despite her shortcomings, so props to you for that.

lanao.pngleif.png

Lana: using Lana is almost mandatory given that she is the only healer until chapter 6. She ended up promoting at L16 prior to chapter 10x, which I thought was surprisingly high. The staff EXP seems just right for a player like me but it might be a touch high for slower players. I'm not going to complain, though.

Leif: how many maps is Leif mandatory for? He doesn't really bring anything special to the table, but he's not bad, and he can gain EXP pretty easily with the Light Sword. The Light Sword is what really makes him usable. If it weren't for the fact that he's forced in a handful of maps, or that his promotion might actually be awesome, I wouldn't consider using him.

lesterd.pngnanna.png

Lester: so the problem with Lester is that he's absolutely atrocious if his speed growth doesn't stay on track and he stops doubling. He also gains EXP more slowly than everyone else because of bow lock. Honestly, I don't know if this is a problem that you should try to fix, because Lester is okay, but not amazing, and not everyone can be amazing.

I do think bow knights should at least get C swords on promo, though. Being stuck to Iron Swords and Iron Blades means that his sword rank isn't going anywhere.

Nanna: I love troubadours. Next.

oifey.pngseliph.png

Oifey: amazing unit. Looking back at his bases, I got some amazing luck with his growths, especially his def. He started trailing off in chapter 8 or so but got right back on track with the chapter 9 Speed Ring. I'm not really sure how one would go about balancing this guy because you kind of need him early on in order to really do anything quickly. Maybe it's better not to. The only thing that I can think of is to knock down a couple of his base stats by 1 point and reduce his base level to 1 or 2.

Seliph: man, Seliph sucks. He got a couple of good level ups in chapter 10x before I took this screen, but he was getting doubled before that and 3-4RKO'd enemies in return. The Vitanova is better than a Rapier, but not by much, and I never got the impression that it came in that useful even with the effective bonus against cavalry and armors. If I had to pick between having Seliph or Leif as the lord forced in every map, I'd pick Leif every single time because of the Light Sword. I suppose he'll be amazing regardless once he promotes and obtains the Tyrfing, since I'd imagine that he'll promote into Sigurd's class.

shananl.png

Shanan: best bosskiller, but not too great at other things because of no mount and sword lock. This one is str blessed but he doesn't really even need it since he just needs to crit with the Relic Sword or Balmung and the opponent is dead. Even though Shanan is absurdly powerful, I never got the impression that he was broken, because once other units starting ORKOing consistently and Finn came along with the Hero Lance, I sometimes chose not to deploy Shanan at all because he wouldn't be doing anything.

Map design

I really enjoyed some of the later chapters, but they did seem a little lacking in terms of content, some of it maybe due to not being fully playtested, some of it due to the player having much better units. I already commented on chapters 7 and 8. Chapter 9 was more or less just right. Chapter 10 was actually pretty good, but I felt like the middle group didn't have much to do until I activated the switches, and I could almost ignore the left and right groups after I activated the switches. Perhaps consider adding something to make the actions of one group of units more visibly affect another group of units. In chapter 24 of FE5, the right group mainly served to knock out all of the dark mages that had some nasty status staves capable of targeting the rest of the map, for instance. You'd probably want to avoid status staves this early in the game, but there are other options.

Conversely, some of the earlier chapters were almost excruciating. Again, some of this is due to units getting way better post-promotion. However, the outdoor maps have this tendency to bottle you up in certain places on the map, which I'm sure is intentional, but given the already-huge length of the maps themselves, it just feels like a chore to complete. Foot units have a tendency to fall behind and never catch up.

Chapter 2 is especially painful and I can't think of a good way to change it. Looking at the FE4 chapter 6 map, it seems that the map is not so much desert as it is sand with a patch of grass in the middle. Perhaps you can find a way to accommodate that in an updated map.

Strangely enough, I didn't mind chapter 5 too much. Desert is more bearable with a flier, 2 (or 3 counting Salem) mages, and a bosskiller that already starts right where you want him to. As a tangent, I think that desert maps are way more enjoyable with FEDS scale movement (most foot units have 3 move in desert) as opposed to GBA scale movement (unpromoted foot units have 2 move). I also didn't mind the snowy maps - this is probably because reduced movement is not a big deal when the objective is defense.

Characters

I don't have very much to say regarding specific units in particular. My impression is that axe users got the short end of the stick as a result of what you did with the weapon type and the classes that use them. Given the huge MT disparity between swords and axes of the same echelon, I sort of see what you're trying to do, but none of the axe users appeared effective. I ignored Johalva, Halvan, and Orsin because they weren't mounted (Johalva might be better off as, like, a brigand or something, for the sake of diversity and so that he doesn't get shafted by the chapter 5 desert). Johalva and Halvan are also slow. I tried using Johan, but the hit rates left much to be desired, and Great Knight didn't seem as appealing of a promotion option as Paladin because GKs have 7 move. In the end, I only ended up using Glade from time to time as a filler unit.

Lance users such as Finn and Oifey tend to have just the right combination of speed and atk to double and ORKO a lot of common enemy types, but sword and axe users fell short in some respects. As I've said already, axe users tend to be slow (I suppose Orsin and a promoted Ulster would be exceptions), so their offense doesn't compare even with axes having +3 MT on lances. Sword users end up doubling the same kinds of enemies but doing 6 HP fewer damage because lances have +3 MT on swords. Blades are not a strong enough alternate option for sword users because a Steel Blade has only +2 MT on a Steel Sword in exchange for -20 hit and +3 WT.

As for specific units, Faval seems rather underpowered when you compare him to Ced, who not only has staves, but has higher speed and a higher offensive stat that targets a generally lower defensive stat. 18 spd starts to fall short of doubling common enemy types as early as chapter 10. Perhaps consider moving a couple of points of str into spd (for Faval). Danstil is actually not that bad in chapter 6, but he's immediately outclassed by Glade in chapter 7. I appreciate the effort that you put into trying to differentiate the magic users, but consider giving Salem something else that he could take advantage of.

tl;dr wow this was a lot longer than I had thought. I was very pleased overall with the design. Keep up the good work.

• There's a sort of consistent method of assigning mounted movement. If the unit was mounted before promotion, they would go from 7 -> 8 movement upon promotion, with the exception of Johan who remains at 7. If they weren't mounted, they would go from X -> 7, with the exception of Seliph and Leif when they get their promotion.
  • Delmud shouldn't get S lances upon promotion; will look into it.
  • Leif will get a promotion at the beginning of Chapter 12 (same as Seliph), so then he should be much more worth using. I'm not entirely sure of what his class is going to use (currently leaning towards Sword/Axe/Bow to differentiate it from Seliph's, who gets Sword/Spear + Tyrfing).
  • Lester getting C swords seems good, I'll change it.
  • The original ideas I had for the later chapters included more enemies + more thigns to do on the maps, but eventually decided agaisnt it so the chapters wouldn't become too hard. Reintroducing some of them should be easy enough and it'd make those chapters better.
  • I'll probably change Chapter 2's map at some point, I've grown to dislike its desert over time.
  • The thing about the DS deserts is that all units have +1 or +2 movement compared to their GBA versions of their classes. I'll change the Fighter's desert movement, since 1 move there is too low.
  • I tried to cover all type of units with the few axe units you get in the game (Johalva - tank, Johan - balanced, Halvan - offense, Orsin - speed), and give an incentive to use them with them getting effective weaponry, early killers and a hidden Hero Axe around there. I'll see what else I can do to make them more worthwhile of using.
  • I'll boost Faval (he also will get access to the Yewfelle before Ced gets the Forseti) and Danstil a bit, and will make the stronger Dark tomes appear earlier to make using Salem more worth it.

Thanks a lot for the comments! I'll take them all into consideration to make the next version much better.

As a general comments, most of your units are very close to their averages assuming they were levelled up to 20. Since I assume most were promoted early, they are a bit blessed.

As for characters, I found Tinny a bit average. She doesn't start with enough speed to double much, which hurts her XP gain compared to the other mages. Arthur has a solid availability lead and a horse when he promotes, Julia has Alba and great magic (capped at 15/0), and Asvel rams his speed caps really quickly. My Tinny had 15 in speed and magic - admittedly she was only at level 13, but all my other magic users except Salem had already equaled or surpassed that. Maybe it was just my playthrough, but there wasn't much incentive to use her by the time you get her.

By 13, she should have around 17 in both Magic and Speed. She's sort of the Est of this hack (being the second to last unpromoted unit you get), and the incentive to use her is mostly her growths, which are the best of all the mages (even though she has the same growth total as all of them).

Just downloaded the hack today. Very well done. One question to ask though, will you be putting in custom music in the future?

Eventually, yes. Aside from many from FE4 I want to add, I'd really like to have the Xenoblade Unique Monster music as a boss battle theme, and Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time's final boss music as a map theme.

MU GBA edition? What?

Just a character you can name, and you can do it so I don't go full ORIGINAL CHARACTER DAN STIL. He was also added since I wanted an Armor Knight in the game other than Hannibal.

Also, updated the first post with some info regarding v2.2, and when to expect it.

Edited by Krad

There's a sort of consistent method of assigning mounted movement. If the unit was mounted before promotion, they would go from 7 -> 8 movement upon promotion, with the exception of Johan who remains at 7. If they weren't mounted, they would go from X -> 7, with the exception of Seliph and Leif when they get their promotion.

Well, as you've said here, the assignment method isn't entirely consistent, and sometimes it's good to eschew consistency for the sake of balance. Obviously there are better characters than Nanna, and 8 move Nanna is not going to be broken relative to 7 move Nanna, but there is also some consistency in giving valks and MKs the same promoted movement, and valk is already a very good class anyway.

Delmud shouldn't get S lances upon promotion; will look into it.

I haven't actually looked into repeating this glitch. I have a feeling it has to do with saving a resetting the game, though.

Leif will get a promotion at the beginning of Chapter 12 (same as Seliph), so then he should be much more worth using. I'm not entirely sure of what his class is going to use (currently leaning towards Sword/Axe/Bow to differentiate it from Seliph's, who gets Sword/Spear + Tyrfing).

So Leif is going to be mounted? That's pretty good. Definitely worth a long term investment, then.

The original ideas I had for the later chapters included more enemies + more thigns to do on the maps, but eventually decided agaisnt it so the chapters wouldn't become too hard. Reintroducing some of them should be easy enough and it'd make those chapters better.

So I actually think that this should be the opposite. Early maps are relatively more difficult and shouldn't have a million objectives, whereas players will probably have significantly better units in greater quantities in later maps. I don't mean to suggest that this should be taken to an extreme, though. The later chapters already feel almost right; they just need a touch more of engagement.

I tried to cover all type of units with the few axe units you get in the game (Johalva - tank, Johan - balanced, Halvan - offense, Orsin - speed), and give an incentive to use them with them getting effective weaponry, early killers and a hidden Hero Axe around there. I'll see what else I can do to make them more worthwhile of using.

Where do you get the Hero Axe ._. That's a great incentive, but if it's anything like the Hero Lance (i.e., it's A rank), I have a feeling that it's going to benefit Glade more than any of the unpromoted axe users.

You should really consider changing Johalva's class for the purpose of variety (that is, unless you don't plan on including any berserkers). I'm not sure why brigands have such high stat caps, though.

I'll boost Faval (he also will get access to the Yewfelle before Ced gets the Forseti) and Danstil a bit, and will make the stronger Dark tomes appear earlier to make using Salem more worth it.

You'll have to find some unique way to boost Danstil. The easiest thing that I can think of is actually to give him a higher lance rank than Glade, but my gut feeling is that this would be rather ineffectual because if you give Danstil an A rank lance to start out with, Finn could just take it instead. I'm not too sure what your motivations are for including Danstil in the game. You could take this as an opportunity to develop this original creation and make him special in some way.

For v. 2.2, I wouldn't recommend changing base stats. Save that for v. 3.0. At least, it's not going to compel me to replay the hack.

Edited by dondon151

Well, for knight class, I have a stupid weird idea for them.(in fact ,I steal it from some Japanese FE hack).

Because they will be getting double no matter what anyway, than why not just make it more extreme?

Give them 0 in speed/luk/res base and growth then boots hp/str/def base and growth significantly.(and modifier stat cap,too)

I test this once on FE8 with Gilliam and it turn out he is batter than he was.(or maybe FE8's difficulty is just too LOL)

are you talking about player knights or enemy knights

in either case that's a bad idea

first, danstil isn't doubled by everything (he's actually doubled by relatively few enemies in his join chapter) and he does end up taking a bunch of damage from enemies with axes. he's not invincible.

second, 0 luk base for player units is just asking for ragequits.

third, doing this for enemy knights doesn't make the game any more enjoyable than it is currently. as of right now knights are pretty much impossible to ORKO with physical weaponry anyway. a max str paladin exactly ORKOs a generic armor knight with an armorslayer in chapter 10 of adult mode. you either have to gang up or use a magic unit to ORKO a knight as is.

oh another thing, krad (and many others agree with me on this)

the beginning of chapter 1 is a bit too luck-based. yeah, all 3 combat units have WTA over the axe enemies, but they still have reasonable hit rates, plus they 2HKO your units. i think there is a certain good way to do it, but it's kind of a turn-off to players who are playing the hack for the first time.

idea for chapter 5: make salem come at you so that it's possible to recruit him earlier in the map. he'd actually be very useful in this map because of his bulkiness, but as it is right now he joins when the chapter is almost over.

Edited by dondon151

are you talking about player knights or enemy knights

in either case that's a bad idea

first, danstil isn't doubled by everything (he's actually doubled by relatively few enemies in his join chapter) and he does end up taking a bunch of damage from enemies with axes. he's not invincible.

second, 0 luk base for player units is just asking for ragequits.

third, doing this for enemy knights doesn't make the game any more enjoyable than it is currently. as of right now knights are pretty much impossible to ORKO with physical weaponry anyway. a max str paladin exactly ORKOs a generic armor knight with an armorslayer in chapter 10 of adult mode. you either have to gang up or use a magic unit to ORKO a knight as is.

You're right

I check enemy attack in this hack and they're too high to shrug off cri-attack ever with 25+ Def.(axe has very high damage in this hack)

How about keep Luk and HP just normal? just drop spd/res and rise str/def?

the beginning of chapter 1 is a bit too luck-based. yeah, all 3 combat units have WTA over the axe enemies, but they still have reasonable hit rates, plus they 2HKO your units. i think there is a certain good way to do it, but it's kind of a turn-off to players who are playing the hack for the first time.

idea for chapter 5: make salem come at you so that it's possible to recruit him earlier in the map. he'd actually be very useful in this map because of his bulkiness, but as it is right now he joins when the chapter is almost over.

agree with this, too.

In chapter 1, we are too close to too many bandits, maybe scatter them more?

Edited by Jimmy_Smith

Well, as you've said here, the assignment method isn't entirely consistent, and sometimes it's good to eschew consistency for the sake of balance. Obviously there are better characters than Nanna, and 8 move Nanna is not going to be broken relative to 7 move Nanna, but there is also some consistency in giving valks and MKs the same promoted movement, and valk is already a very good class anyway.

Alright, makes sense.

So I actually think that this should be the opposite. Early maps are relatively more difficult and shouldn't have a million objectives, whereas players will probably have significantly better units in greater quantities in later maps. I don't mean to suggest that this should be taken to an extreme, though. The later chapters already feel almost right; they just need a touch more of engagement.

I wasn't really planning on making huge changes, just a few things to make the latter parts of some chapters not feel so empty.

Where do you get the Hero Axe ._. That's a great incentive, but if it's anything like the Hero Lance (i.e., it's A rank), I have a feeling that it's going to benefit Glade more than any of the unpromoted axe users.

It's hidden in Chapter 4, but I forgot to add the hint for it (you'll be able to get one normally a bit later in the game). Will fix this in the next version.

You should really consider changing Johalva's class for the purpose of variety (that is, unless you don't plan on including any berserkers). I'm not sure why brigands have such high stat caps, though.

Brigands have high caps since they don't promote. I have an idea for Johalva that I'll experiment around with.

You'll have to find some unique way to boost Danstil. The easiest thing that I can think of is actually to give him a higher lance rank than Glade, but my gut feeling is that this would be rather ineffectual because if you give Danstil an A rank lance to start out with, Finn could just take it instead. I'm not too sure what your motivations are for including Danstil in the game. You could take this as an opportunity to develop this original creation and make him special in some way.

I added him to make the Leif part of Chapter 6 easier on the player (since Finn sadly can't do everything himself and Leif is not too durable). As for what to do to him, I was thinking of boosting some of his stats by 1 point, and maybe allowing him to use axes before promotion.

Well, for knight class, I have a stupid weird idea for them.(in fact ,I steal it from some Japanese FE hack).

Because they will be getting double no matter what anyway, than why not just make it more extreme?

Give them 0 in speed/luk/res base and growth then boots hp/str/def base and growth significantly.(and modifier stat cap,too)

I test this once on FE8 with Gilliam and it turn out he is batter than he was.(or maybe FE8's difficulty is just too LOL)

I don't think that would work, really. With the high damage everything has, only having those stats wouldn't work.

2lQY9.png

I think you know what my reaction to this is going to be. Not dastard 0/10

I seriously don't.

Both of those seem good, will change.

In chapter 1, we are too close to too many bandits, maybe scatter them more?

Will do.

ch7 Mage Knight is evil and should be replaced with something that doesn't double your team with magic.

Do you mean Kempf in Chapter 6? Oifey, Fee, Shanan, Ares and Finn can avoid being doubled at base level, and you don't even are required to kill him.

Do you mean Kempf in Chapter 6? Oifey, Fee, Shanan, Ares and Finn can avoid being doubled at base level, and you don't even are required to kill him.

I think he means the generic Mage Knight right outside the castle.

Anyway I've found a peculiar glitch in chapter 1. It happened when Syn attacked Ulster, placed in a forest. Ulster killed him with a critical. This triggered the reinforcements to appear, but for some odd reason, Sif moved himself right where Syn died, which I know shouldn't happen. I can notice this only after the enemies continue attacking, which is after Oifey's pep speech.

Edited by Doga Blockovich

I think he means the generic Mage Knight right outside the castle.

I didn't think he would be talking about this one, since it isn't so strong and if he got through Chapter 6, I assume a generic MK wouldn't be too much trouble.

Anyway I've found a peculiar glitch in chapter 1. It happened when Syn attacked Ulster, placed in a forest. Ulster killed him with a critical. This triggered the reinforcements to appear, but for some odd reason, Sif moved himself right where Syn died, which I know shouldn't happen. I can notice this only after the enemies continue attacking, which is after Oifey's pep speech.

I'm aware of this one. While I'm not entirely sure of why it happens (all I know is that it only happens if Sif appears during the enemy phase), I've already got a fix for it in the next version (have him appear the turn after you kill Syn).

Edited by Krad