I'm losing interest in Pokemon games...

Raven

How does that make sense?

How does it not make sense? I loved pwning the sh*t out of everything with my Alakazam and Nidoking. And finding missigno was cool.

Everything got boring after Silver/Gold. Then LeafGreen/Fire Red came out again and I went back to Nido-solo's. It was sweet.

Edited by Kevin

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They could all be a lot more balanced with not a lot of changes. Characters like Meg, Danved, Makalov, and Ilyana are almost obviously bad.

Of course they could be. Just because we can make a tier list and see how much better than Lyre Haar is doesn't mean the game is poorly balanced, it just means it isn't perfectly balanced.

If you guys think no FE game is perfectly balanced, you have not played FE5! I am constantly impressed by how little luck matters in comparison to tactical skill and strategy. The characters are all perfectly balanced and equal as well, but they all have different functions that make up their usefulness!

What an amazingly balanced game, it is too bad they were never able to replicate it.

Now now, honey, I know you miss me, but it's rude to intrude on other people's conversations with sarcasm. Wait for me, I'll be yours tonight.

How does it not make sense? I loved pwning the sh*t out of everything with my Alakazam and Nidoking. And finding missigno was cool.

Haters shoudn't hate :(

I don't hate. I fucking loved Gen 1 back when it was new. Now I just point out obvious flaws in game design.

Everything got boring after Silver/Gold.

Nostalgia.

If you guys think no FE game is perfectly balanced, you have not played FE5! I am constantly impressed by how little luck matters in comparison to tactical skill and strategy. The characters are all perfectly balanced and equal as well, but they all have different functions that make up their usefulness!

What an amazingly balanced game, it is too bad they were never able to replicate it.

I haven't played the game, but I would imagine that it probably isn't perfectly balanced. After all, it has a Samto expy, and what would a Samto expy be if not utter trash?

Of course they could be. Just because we can make a tier list and see how much better than Lyre Haar is doesn't mean the game is poorly balanced, it just means it isn't perfectly balanced.

Well, it's one thing to have every character have some advantages, but some of those advantages be more valuable than others in varying playstyles (for example, if you compare Klein and Igrene, Igrene has better stats in NM, but Klein has better supports and an earlier join time). But when you have characters like Danved or Lethe or Nealuchi who are just obviously awful and clearly an inferior choice? To me, that is 'poorly balanced'.

Edited by Anouleth

Gen 1 was cool, despite the domination of certain types. If anything the glitches are good old nostalgia these days.

Gen 2 explanded on it, added genders, breeding, a couple of types for the balance, weather and a bunch of cool new monsters.

Gen 3 was eh to me. Some of the new monsters were pretty cool but cutting so many of them in R/S kinda left a weird taste. Mechanics were a hit (abilities, EVs) and miss (IVs, Pokéblocks and all the contests).

Didn't play Gen 4, but the best thing to me was the physical/special split. The worst starts with St and ends with ealth Rock.

For having played Gen 5, I enjoyed it a lot. It didn't do like Gen 3 where they left half of the monsters to create new ones, but instead went head on and created new ones, many of them I loved. TMs having infinite uses is the other major addition that I approve, though I also enjoyed wild double battles and the different experience formula. My only real nitpick at the moment is that medics appear all the time, which makes it a bit too easy for some. Personally I'm cool with that, but the challenge is lessened. I also approve of the new Elite Four forumla.

Also fuck yeah FE5. If anything the return to the basics of FE6 is what sucked. No skills, no power/magic split, needing pointless amount of times to get support bonuses (aka support conversations). Even the story of FE6 itself is basically both FE3 books recycled in one while changing a few names here and there.

Also fuck yeah FE5. If anything the return to the basics of FE6 is what sucked. No skills, no power/magic split, needing pointless amount of times to get support bonuses (aka support conversations). Even the story of FE6 itself is basically both FE3 books recycled in one while changing a few names here and there.

Just because FE6 was a lot simpler didn't mean it wasn't enormously fun.

The Strength/Magic split has always been pointless, anyway. Having a separate stat that does practically nothing? Why even bother? The only good thing about it was making magic swords work more intuitively, but screw adding in an extra stat just for the sake of a couple of 20-use weapons. I always preferred Valkyries when they were wielding magic rather than swords anyway.

For having played Gen 5, I enjoyed it a lot. It didn't do like Gen 3 where they left half of the monsters to create new ones, but instead went head on and created new ones, many of them I loved. TMs having infinite uses is the other major addition that I approve, though I also enjoyed wild double battles and the different experience formula. My only real nitpick at the moment is that medics appear all the time, which makes it a bit too easy for some. Personally I'm cool with that, but the challenge is lessened. I also approve of the new Elite Four forumla.

I like the sound of infinite use TMs as well.

Edited by Anouleth

Just because FE6 was a lot simpler didn't mean it wasn't enormously fun.

The Strength/Magic split has always been pointless, anyway. Having a separate stat that does practically nothing? Why even bother? The only good thing about it was making magic swords work more intuitively, but screw adding in an extra stat just for the sake of a couple of 20-use weapons. I always preferred Valkyries when they were wielding magic rather than swords anyway.

I'll admit I liked FE6 at first, more than even FE7. However when you play FE3, you notice then that FE6 is just FE3 with some added new stuff, so much it's ridiculous. In fact you can pretty much make parallels between the majority of the characters in the game.

The strength/magic split added some utility. Back in FE4, if you had the creativity, you could pair Ayra with someone like Azel and make their kids run around with magic swords. You can also do this with Lachesis to have a Mage Knight equivalent in Delmud.

Sword using Female Paladins had potential in FE5. Elite Sword gave double experience, Fire Sword gave a healthy +5 in magic + a potent magical attack, Earth Sword made Nanna a very niche unit, King Sword gave Charisma, Rapier gave them effectiveness against Armors/Horses and, if you had the rank for them (Amalda starts with an A already), you could even use status inflicting swords.

As for other magic units using strength, personally I think that's the best stat to calculate AS. Always being lowered by AS seems unfair for axe users unless their weapons get really strong, but constitution doesn't make sense to me since a big person may not be extremely strong.

Then there's Master Knights/Barons/Emperors. Unbalanced yes, but they had this much added versatility. Token General boss on a throne gets old fast. Let's give him a status staff so that he's not forced to sit on his ass while his troops get owned. He'd also have more stamina than a Sage, and more versatilty since he wouldn't be forced to magic all the time.

In conclusion I just feel FE4 and 5 expanded on the creativity, 4 especially, until FE6 took it away, only to be restored in FE9, which I think is still a pretty good game.

I like the sound of infinite use TMs as well.

Trust me, it's fantastic. No more stupid breeding chains for TMs to be more or less infinite. You can customize your Pokémon easier than ever too, but watch out if you delete a move that can't be learned via TM if you don't want to spend a Heart Scale.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

I'll admit I liked FE6 at first, more than even FE7. However when you play FE3, you notice then that FE6 is just FE3 with some added new stuff, so much it's ridiculous. In fact you can pretty much make parallels between the majority of the characters in the game.

You should note that by some margin, FE3 is the most popular Fire Emblem game ever created. For all that people rave about Thracia 776, it still sold poorly (far worse than FE6). So by some standards, the move 'backwards' was actually an improvement.

The strength/magic split added some utility. Back in FE4, if you had the creativity, you could pair Ayra with someone like Azel and make their kids run around with magic swords. You can also do this with Lachesis to have a Mage Knight equivalent in Delmud.

Sword using Female Paladins had potential in FE5. Elite Sword gave double experience, Fire Sword gave a healthy +5 in magic + a potent magical attack, Earth Sword made Nanna a very niche unit, King Sword gave Charisma, Rapier gave them effectiveness against Armors/Horses and, if you had the rank for them (Amalda starts with an A already), you could even use status inflicting swords.

As for other magic units using strength, personally I think that's the best stat to calculate AS. Always being lowered by AS seems unfair for axe users unless their weapons get really strong, but constitution doesn't make sense to me since a big person may not be extremely strong.

Then there's Master Knights/Barons/Emperors. Unbalanced yes, but they had this much added versatility. Token General boss on a throne gets old fast. Let's give him a status staff so that he's not forced to sit on his ass while his troops get owned. He'd also have more stamina than a Sage, and more versatilty since he wouldn't be forced to magic all the time.

I'm happy to let magic users be magic users and weapon users be weapon users, personally.

In conclusion I just feel FE4 and 5 expanded on the creativity, 4 especially, until FE6 took it away, only to be restored in FE9, which I think is still a pretty good game.

FE6 kept the most important stuff, like the weapon triangle, Rescue, and the improved combat formulas. I'm not really broken up about losing skills.

You should note that by some margin, FE3 is the most popular Fire Emblem game ever created. For all that people rave about Thracia 776, it still sold poorly (far worse than FE6). So by some standards, the move 'backwards' was actually an improvement.

I'm happy to let magic users be magic users and weapon users be weapon users, personally.

FE6 kept the most important stuff, like the weapon triangle, Rescue, and the improved combat formulas. I'm not really broken up about losing skills.

FE5's main problem is that he was released in 1999 in very small amounts. Even FE4 was released in 1996 mere months before the N64 was released. In counterpart, FE3 was released in 1994 which was probably the best time. I'm not denying it's a good game, but I figure if FE4 and 5 were released at a more reasonable time, they would've been more popular.

I just really don't like how unidimensional it makes those units. Even most enemy Sages and Druids will only have a tome and no staff for added challenge against the player. Meanwhile, I don't see many enemy Paladins using axes, Warriors using bows or fliers using swords. Only Generals and Heroes tend to whip up their secondary weapon type.

Personally I found skills more fun than weapon triangle. Past a certain point in the game, the latter means nothing in quite a few cases. I do think what they did in FE11-12 about cutting weapon level bonuses was nice, but FE6 didn't have those.

Rescue's fine, but FE6 removed something for the duration of the entire GBA arc that felt quite silly : people can't normally rescue mounts, especially with their riders on top.

While I do have some nitpick with those, like the AS thing I mentionned earlier, I guess the combat mechanics are fine.

FE5's main problem is that he was released in 1999 in very small amounts. Even FE4 was released in 1996 mere months before the N64 was released. In counterpart, FE3 was released in 1994 which was probably the best time. I'm not denying it's a good game, but I figure if FE4 and 5 were released at a more reasonable time, they would've been more popular.

Really? I'll take your word for it.

I just really don't like how unidimensional it makes those units. Even most enemy Sages and Druids will only have a tome and no staff for added challenge against the player. Meanwhile, I don't see many enemy Paladins using axes, Warriors using bows or fliers using swords. Only Generals and Heroes tend to whip up their secondary weapon type.

Well, even if every Sage and Druid carried a Physic staff, it still wouldn't be that problematic. If they had a status staff, it would be ridiculous since you wouldn't be able to keep everyone healthy.

It's true that most enemies don't use their secondary weapon type. It does seem a little bit of a waste, especially in FE10 where enemies literally never use anything but their main weapon type (except Crossbows).

Personally I found skills more fun than weapon triangle. Past a certain point in the game, the latter means nothing in quite a few cases. I do think what they did in FE11-12 about cutting weapon level bonuses was nice, but FE6 didn't have those.

I found that in FE9 and 10, skills were not that useful against generic enemies. Perhaps it's different in FE4 and FE5.

While I do have some nitpick with those, like the AS thing I mentionned earlier, I guess the combat mechanics are fine.

Actually, AS is something I never liked. After a certain point weapon weight just becomes irrelevant.

Really? I'll take your word for it.

Well, even if every Sage and Druid carried a Physic staff, it still wouldn't be that problematic. If they had a status staff, it would be ridiculous since you wouldn't be able to keep everyone healthy.

It's true that most enemies don't use their secondary weapon type. It does seem a little bit of a waste, especially in FE10 where enemies literally never use anything but their main weapon type (except Crossbows).

I found that in FE9 and 10, skills were not that useful against generic enemies. Perhaps it's different in FE4 and FE5.

Actually, AS is something I never liked. After a certain point weapon weight just becomes irrelevant.

They are. FE4 was released on May 14th 1996, FE5 on September 1st 1999 (Ocarina of Time was long released, just to give an idea). In counterpart, FE3 was released on January 21st 1994.

Just an Heal would suffice. Something like Barrier once in a while maybe. I'd also like to see more of the Warping variety in the lategame.

Reminds me of that Lance General using a Steel Axe in Part 2. He's probably the only one of his kind.

Were they not enough or too much? I know for example that Luna would negate defense entirely and that Astra would be at full might. Continue had a higher activation in FE 4(AS +20%), Awareness was more useful with all the Big Shield Generals and would also protect flyers from arrows (in FE 4 only). Both Ambush and Wrath changed a bit, but at one point both were close to their FE9 counterparts. I'd agree the Pursuit (double attack), Bargain (silver card) and Berserk (critical) skills were kinda unneeded.

In a way I think that's normal. When you grow stronger, you should get used to heavier weapons, no?

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

It's still really uncreative on IS's part that they didn't really expand on what the enemies can do other than just attack you and heal allied units. I remember I was once toying around with editing the FE8 ROM, and as far as I could tell, there was no AI option for, for example, enemy dancers to dance units or staff users to use staves like Barrier or Warp. It makes sense because there are no enemies that do that in FE8, but the fact remains that they existed in FE5 and screwed around with the player quite often.

Then there's that Rescue dude in 3-11 of FE10, but he would rescue adjacent units if there were no better targets =/

Fine, my turn to pour out my thoughts about the Pokemon generations. . .

Gen 1: This was the game that made me go from Solitare to Handheld Addict. I had a weird love of Fearow's Mirror Move. Still do.

Gen 2: My least favorite gen, probably because I was tired of seeing Kanto. . .and stupid breeding restrictions. Yeah.

Gen 3: My favorite by far. I loved the abilities and the contests, breeding made more sense (no more random failures!), the stupid Attack IV cap was lifted off of female Pokemon, and I was introduced to Hidden Power.

Gen 4: Looks-wise, some of the Pokemon were UGLY. I was glad there were plenty of new dual-types to play with, and I learned that I really liked trading over the 'Net. Go figure.

Gen 5: Can't wait.

It's still really uncreative on IS's part that they didn't really expand on what the enemies can do other than just attack you and heal allied units. I remember I was once toying around with editing the FE8 ROM, and as far as I could tell, there was no AI option for, for example, enemy dancers to dance units or staff users to use staves like Barrier or Warp. It makes sense because there are no enemies that do that in FE8, but the fact remains that they existed in FE5 and screwed around with the player quite often.

You could count the reinforcements in FE10 Part 4 as being Warped from offscreen, but you're right. I think that staves in general have a lot of untapped potential. I want to have Warp and Rescue staves that can be used to target enemies, or Warp staves that work from range, or maybe a low level staff that lets you trade with a unit or use a shop from a distance. Or a staff that gives flying to the target for a single turn.

Barrier especially sounds fun when you consider that RES doubled as MAG in FE5, though. Maybe put in a competing Dispel staff to remove it? Enemy casters could try to remove your buffs, then kill you.

I think what was especially nice in FE10 were the added effects of some of the staves when equipped. I would really have liked to see them played around with.

Then there's that Rescue dude in 3-11 of FE10, but he would rescue adjacent units if there were no better targets =/

Yeah, he's funny! But it's still kind of a neat idea in theory, to have a Bishop that would rescue allied wounded units.

(It's aggravating that with Micaiah and Laura around, Pelleas decides to give it to the stupidest Bishop in Daein.)

i heard he fantasizes about raping girls while giving abortions

I heard that his having sex with a girl is the equivalent of getting your tubes tied.