is alcohol a drug?

whase

Are there any people here studying Biology or something? because I'm very curious to know if alcohol is truly a drug.

from my point of view (I've never used alcohol nor any (other?) drugs), it's easy to believe alcohol is a drug, since it both makes people do crazy stuff.

but on the other hand, if alcohol is a drug, why is it still legal?

so, what exactly happens with your body when using other drugs, and what happens differently when using alcohol?

just me being curious,

thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For starters, alcohol doesn't "make people do crazy things", it just lowers their inhibitions and impairs their judgement. I personally am still sensible when drunk(I wouldn't go drunk driving or anything retardedly stupid like that), just less restrained with my sense of humour.

To answer your question though, yes, alcohol is a drug.

Edited by Ceadeus

Just because something is a drug doesn't mean it has to be tossed out and made illegal. Lots of completely harmless, and even beneficial things are drugs. Caffeine is a drug for example, as are most (all?) medicines.

caffeine a drug? I never heard that one before. does sound logical though.

so all that "don't do drugs" stuff is kind of nonsense since there would only be very few people who don't do drugs, right?

(please keep adding more drugs to the list about what I don't know of. I'm curious to find out if when I'm saying "I don't do drugs", I'm not lying)

so all that "don't do drugs" stuff is kind of nonsense since there would only be very few people who don't do drugs, right?

(please keep adding more drugs to the list about what I don't know of. I'm curious to find out if when I'm saying "I don't do drugs", I'm not lying)

Adrenalin is a drug, you can get that from the endorphins your brain releases when you go on decent roller coasters.

Alcohol fuckin' sucks.

That depends on whether you're talking about Fosters, or something that's remotely drinkable.

"Drug" is too broad a term if what you're looking to describe is potentially harmful/addictive mind-altering substances. Ibuprofen is a drug that I take rather a lot of because I get a lot of headaches. (Also known as Advil or Motrin.)

In terms of the "I don't do drugs" usage, people generally accept that to mean "I don't drink, smoke, or use any illegal substances," though. Most people don't consider a morning coffee habit to be "doing drugs" for example, nor would taking medication (for that medication's intended purpose) generally be considered to be "doing drugs". If you're just looking for things that fall under the "I don't do drugs" usage, it's pretty much alcohol, nicotine, anything illegal, and abusing prescription medication (usually painkillers).

Alcohol is a drug, but it's one of the good drugs. It doesn't make you act stupid, it doesn't cause health problems, and nobody ever becomes dependent on it. See, completely different from the bad drugs, right?

Alcohol fuckin' sucks.

Says the 17 year old.

Edited by Anouleth

Am I the only one that finds it hilarious that someone from the Netherlands is saying he's never done drugs and wondering why alcohol isn't illegal?

Am I the only one that finds it hilarious that someone from the Netherlands is saying he's never done drugs and wondering why alcohol isn't illegal?

My first reaction to this topic was to double check that Whase's location was set to the Netherlands

My first reaction to this topic was to double check that Whase's location was set to the Netherlands

Mine too, honestly, but I saw it was in General and not FFTF.

A drug is a chemical that you take for an effect whether it's illegal or not, yes alcohol is a drug, as is Motrin and LSD. FYI some narcotics are legal and used medically so don't get that confused as the illegal stuff.

"Don't do drugs," is a catchall statement that is really meant to say, "Don't do drugs you are not supposed to." It makes the situation more ambiguous if they cannot use a general term to paint a black and white picture, you see. More convenient.

To say "Don't do drugs!" is really over-generalized. Like I said before their are some good drugs that are legal. If you follow this rule to the letter you'll likely die of something.

Drugs are important in medicine too. I think you should probably do some googling, when they say "don't do drugs" they mean the ones that are illegal due to overly powerful side effects and ones that you don't have a prescription/don't need.

^Well, not all of the are illegal because of side effects...^

Weed is a lot better for you than cigarettes but it's illegal(I think because of the amount of nontaxable money being made off it, but I'm not sure...) I think if the government treated it like alcohol it should be legal.

Wait until college.

I'm in college AND I live in the Netherlands (which apparently means something?), and I haven't even once drunk any alcohol.

so college doesn't necessarily mean you have to drink or like that stuff.

Alcohol is a drug, but it's one of the good drugs. It doesn't make you act stupid, it doesn't cause health problems, and nobody ever becomes dependent on it. See, completely different from the bad drugs, right?

Good drug? Doesn't make you act stupid? Doesn't cause health problems? Can't become dependent on it? If I knew better, I'd say that you're joking, but I don't, so...

I'm in college AND I live in the Netherlands (which apparently means something?), and I haven't even once drunk any alcohol.

so college doesn't necessarily mean you have to drink or like that stuff.

The Netherlands is very liberal with their drug policies. Plus, college is for partying, man! Rock on, brother. Drink beer, smoke weed, EAT crack. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

college is for partying, man! Rock on, brother. Drink beer, smoke weed, EAT crack. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

I've been at a party once when I was 11, I hated it. It was a school party, so everyone thought it was too calm.

I thought it was too loud and wild. I locked myself up in the library until my parents came to pick me up.

so yeah, I hate parties and have no reason at all to drink alcohol.

about drugs in Holland, it actually is illegal. And yet, I always see people doing drugs in public...I hate that smell...

Plus, college is for partying, man! Rock on, brother. Drink beer, smoke weed, EAT crack. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

Depends on the school, but it tends to be. College is a time that involves stuff like parties and experiments. I never thought I would smoke weed, then I smoked weed. I never thought I'd get so drunk I'd throw up, but I got that drunk. It happens in college.

Alcohol, like many other things, can be used for good or bad. For example, I can't make my misoyaki salmon properly without two types of alcohol. Likewise, alcohol in too great a quantity can really screw up your body. It's all a matter of perspective.