What kind of Fire Emblem player are you?

Tangerine

What kind of FE player are you?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Veteran? Do you love you some Hard Modes? Or do you prefer to chill out in NM most of the time?

• I always choose one of the harder modes if I can.
    • I'd rather player on an easier difficulty than deal with HM frustrations.

I hate Hard Modes. I only play them for completions sake. Like getting unlockables, although I did FE11 H5, just for the status.

After beating it once I never do it again. I don't get any pleasure from being killed without mercy.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever allows me to do an all mage playthrough without too much grief. And when I say mage, irefer to offensive spellcasters, not those staff using pacifists :P:

Hence I play easy mode. The only time I've ever played Hard mode was FE7 and 8...and those were not the all mage playthroughs. Besides, what other modes let you train up the 'dead weight' characters effectively? 8D

I tried playing the hard modes in FE12 with an archer My Unit and no patience to reset for good stats and pretty much got pissed off at how my cavaliers just get ORKOed in Chapter 1 and decided to give this hard mode business a rest.

I've beaten Normal Mode on almost every FE I've played, I also like to start with it (except on FE6, I'm on chapter 7, it just seems like a huge boring clusterfuck map, and from reading the comments here, FE6 HM is one of the less fun HM's...)

For FE9, I got to about chapter 24 on a PoR HM playthrough and I just got bored, it was no harder than NM for me after the early to early-mid game and I'd like to try MM sometime.

I also recently started a HM file on RD after beating NM twice and it is such a pain in the ass. Not only do half of your units have weaker stats than the enemies your facing,

they took away the convenience of battle saves - which was put there to cope with the difficulty, ironically,

they took away enemy ranges - which is just stupid and annoying for someone who is good enough to survive HM,

and they took away the Weapon Triangle - which makes no sense, since it's a gameplay mechanic used for variety in FE's 4-12 that there is no reason to take out, it actually makes the game require less strategy and makes it less fun.

Edited by rigadoog

I personally loved FE6HM.

With the exception of said Chapter 7.

Like, FE6HM is probably my favourite HM out there. That and FE12 H1. It's not difficult enough that you have to follow a fairly inflexible, ultrafast strategy just to survive without turtling, but it's not cakewalk made of soloing with the Jeigan unit either.

Although I do like FE8 because it's such an powertrip for Seth. It's good for when you just want to destroy things.

• 1 month later...

Lots of FE6HM chapters are just dumb about reinforcements. Like they are unfairly placed in some and unsuspecting players get squishy units killed by them. I was a victim twice :(. The Sacae chapters got me with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of FE6HM chapters are just dumb about reinforcements. Like they are unfairly placed in some and unsuspecting players get squishy units killed by them. I was a victim twice :(. The Sacae chapters got me with them.

I do wish Rutger did not ambushspawn. :<

Ambushspawning is annoying, yeah, though I don't really mind it much if I played NM before hand to know the spawn points and such. Same case with FE12.

I sometimes play hard mode unless it's ridiculous. But usually, I play normal/easy, with self-imposed constraints to put it in the golden area (neither boring nor frustrating).NewYearsEmoticon.gif

I typically play the games on Normal mode. I'm fairly sure I played FE9 and FE10 on easy the first time through, but I think I find Normal a bit more interesting now that I know the games.

I like my games with SOME challenge, so FE6 HM and FE12 H1 is about right for me.

I don't touch easy mode in general, as the games are easy enough as it is on normal.

That said, I'm not too keen on the OMGWTF modes like FE12 Lunatic either.

I use to start out on normal when i first got into FE then as i got better normal became to easy so i usually start on hard now.

I started FE 9, on hard and 11 on h2 i belive

I started 10 on normal cause i heard from a few friends that hard was really hard (still have not finished hard dont have my wii at the momment)

i wish 4 had a starting hard mode though cause it was pretty easy except in a few spots

oh and i started 8 on hard mode on ephriams route first only a few rought points like the ghost ship (almost broke my GBA a few time cause of under leveled chars and being in the wrong place at the wrong time)

• 1 month later...

This is totally a necro but I asked myself and gave myself permission to make a new post. I had to make a comment.

I am extremely surprised at how even the poll is! I thought we had a pretty, uhhh, "hardcore" community :P!

It is nice to see that FE players from all walks of life are around :O.

This is totally a necro but I asked myself and gave myself permission to make a new post. I had to make a comment.

I am extremely surprised at how even the poll is! I thought we had a pretty, uhhh, "hardcore" community :P!

It is nice to see that FE players from all walks of life are around :O.

I know, right? I always had this impression most active members here were "I AM LORD OF HARD MODE! PH34R!!" So its kinda awesome to see a more even balance. Especially since im Duke Of Easy Mode.

Where's the "I like to LTC the shit out of Easy" option?

Selection bias IMO. The hardcore ones are the ones who do the most talking about actual playing/strategy, for hopefully obvious reasons.

Edited by zahlman

I choose hard certainly more often than I used to, at least in game genres I'm something approaching familiar with (Civilization and RTS games, on the other hand, just-above-baby mode is usually where I'm at). Stuff's really situational.

Time to spoil the results!

I generally try to go for a harder difficulty, but there are some which are too much for me. I struggled with FE6HM, FE11H3 and FE12H2 but stuff like HHM I'm pretty comfortable with.

2nd+ time through, I figure I know the game and well enough, and liked it enough to complete it a first time, to play on harder difficulties. But first time through I'll go for normal mode. Fire Emblem need more ways to control difficulty midgame. If you choose an easier mode, you get ahead to quick, if you choose a harder mode, you get behind pretty quick as well.

I like the Easy and Normal modes though

Being a casual player, I don't like getting trolled by stuff like HHM and fe10 HM when the RNG gives bad level up+ambush Spawnning.

That, and I'm not the type to LTC anything.

And I usually go and do stuff while not thinking,like getting

Seth killed in fe8 HM.(Wasn't paying attention)

Titania killed in fe9 HM ch17 (See above)

Forgetting that Kieran at 20/5 can 1hko Shinon in fe9 HM-good thing the Brave Bow is droppable.

Somehow fucking up every time I try HM and getting the Uber-Jeigans, x-mas Cavs, and Ogma archtypes killed.

Yeah, I just a casual player slightly above a n00b

• 3 weeks later...

I perfer for Easy or Normal Mode instead of Hard Mode.

I get good for not letting my allies killed while I'm playing the Fire Emblem series.

I got to Chapter 1 in FE4 since I was looking for Fan Translation around the Web and founded in Emuparadise, but I'm thinking a way to have Ira recruited without getting her killed.

I am almost done Chapter 1 in FE2 since I was looking for Fan Translation around the Web and founded in Emuparadise also.

I got finished in Chapter 1 in FE5, but I need a better Rom since I got the Glithy one while I was playing on my Zsnes.

I am in at Chapter 5 in FE6 in Normal Mode.

I am almost finished FE7 (Normal Mode), FE8 (Easy Mode), FE9 (Easy Mode), and FE11 (Normal Mode).

I beat FE10 (without any deaths but I didn't recruited Stefan, Pelleas, and Sephiran) in Easy Mode.

I got to Chapter 1 in FE4 since I was looking for Fan Translation around the Web and founded in Emuparadise, but I'm thinking a way to have Ira recruited without getting her killed.

Lure her out with Alec and rush Sigurd over to talk to her at your earliest convinience.