A Moment's Lament for a Kindred Soul Lost

Sakusa

2yybddt.jpg

http://www.longislan...-in-ronkonkoma/

http://newyork.cbslo...claims-2-lives/

For those who won't bother clicking the links, a close friend of mine, Andrea Giattino, was killed when Brian Mullady crossed into northbound traffic and struck the car she and her boyfriend were in. Both she and Mullady were pronounced dead at the scene. Her boyfriend, Justin Quaranta, was treated at a local hospital and released. An was only 19 years old.

We met sophomore year in our high school women's ensemble. Another close friend of mine, Melanie dragged me over to her and introduced us. At first, I was a little apprehensive, since she and her on/off boyfriend, Jimmy, constantly made out everywhere, and I tend to look down on people who demonstrate too much PDA. However, she looked up at me with a bright smile and presented a cheerful, bubbly introduction. I couldn't help but like her.

From that day on, even though we weren't the inseparable friends I would've liked to have been, we were pretty darn close. Every day during 6th period and during 7th in our junior and senior years, I would skip over across the room from the alto section to the soprano section to say hi and make small talk except, of course, when either she or I would be absent. Seeing her during class truly brightened my day, and I know she was a light for others as well.

An was the sweetest, kindest person I knew. She genuinely cared for the people around her and treated everyone with respect, even if they didn't respect her in return. Every time anyone was sad, she would be there, making sure everything was okay. Despite living in poverty, enduring the side-effects of an abusive relationship of her mother's, and when everything seemed to be taking a turn for the worse, she would always put on a strong face and smile to reassure her loved ones.

Not only did An have a good heart, she was also talented in her own right, even if she herself didn't acknowledge it. She was an amazing singer and artist. Her voice was sweet and angelic. Her fashion designs were beautiful. Her caricatures were quirky and unique. She tried her best in everything she did, and even though her labor didn't always bear fruit, everyone knew how hard she worked.

An loved and was very much involved in music. She almost always made an effort to audition for solos in chorus, and even though she wasn't able to get one, we all knew she had a beautiful voice. Together, we sank in extra time to practice Carl Orff's Carmina Burana with Ithaca College, a private college known for its music programs, and Beethoven's 9th symphony. Towards the end of the school year, we would get together with friends to pick out songs to practice and sing at a nursing home nearby.

The fact that such a beautiful, kind-hearted person is no longer with us breaks my heart. She was the last person I'd expect to die from an accident such as this, and her death is truly a shame. She had her whole life ahead of her. Her time came too soon.

An, your bright smile, cheerful personality, and unabashed kindness will forever remain in my heart. Words cannot express the regret I have for not being able to spend time with you, even though I could have. I'll never forget our shenanigrins in chorus and P.E. or our heart-to-hearts in the hallway with Mrs. Ray. I love you so much, and I'm sorry that I wasn't able to say that to you as much as should have. Your everything will be missed. Your existence was truly bright and shining, and I know you've touched many people just by existing. Rest in peace, An. You're in a better place now, and I know you'll be watching over us from above.

This is her Facebook memorial page, if any of you would like to pay respects.

It greatly saddens me to hear of this. My condolences to all who knew this person of such wonderful spirit.

My thanks to you for posting this, Sakusa. May your heart heal as quickly as is proper.

I... I-...

I can't pretend to know what it feels like to lose a personal friend, nor can I pretend to know how to comfort someone. But... well, R.I.P.

...I'm a terrible person, I know.

Sorry to hear such a sad thing....

My condolences to those who knew this young yet great lady possessing the epitome of kindness.

Yet I do not know how to comfort broken souls... I must think of a way!

Edited by Frostbite

It can be an unreal experience when such things happen. While not nearly as close, a person I knew and talked to, a fellow marching band member, was killed in a similar way. It was after she graduated from high school, too, much like your friend (judging from her age). I couldn't even bring myself to go to the visitation, it disturbed me so much. Needless to say, it is usually much easier to deal with the death of someone in their 80's or 90's who died of natural causes than someone who hadn't even reached their 20's dying in such a violent way. It doesn't feel right for the young to die, but it just goes to show that death doesn't discriminate. Still, 19, that's the same age as me... I can only say that I hope the best for you and her family as you all cope through this.

Well... I'm not sure what to say to console you regarding the death of a dear friend. In fact, I don't think words (no matter how well articulated) can ease the pain that such an incident brings. That being said, at least it was not a long and agonizing death. Small mercies I'm afraid.... Anyways, for what it is worth, you have my most sincere condolences...

Wow I suck at this don't I...

Well... I'm not sure what to say to console you regarding the death of a dear friend. In fact, I don't think words (no matter how well articulated) can ease the pain that such an incident brings. That being said, at least it was not a long and agonizing death. Small mercies I'm afraid.... Anyways, for what it is worth, you have my most sincere condolences...

Wow I suck at this don't I...

It's the internet. We ALL suck at this pretty hard. The important thing is to try and express it my dear doctor.

Oh no. She sounded like a great person! I just hate how this happens to so many people. Death comes too easily and it affects so many who were in touch with that person... It's so sad that she died so young.

I'm so sorry Sakusa I hope that you will recover quickly from this. You were always cheerful too! I wouldn't want this to change that. I mean of course she seems like she would deserve some respect and you can mourn her but I don't want this to change you!

........... tbh that post could've gone way better.

Yours? Basically, you said, "I'm sorry for what happened but I love YOU" which is a beautiful sentiment. It's a sentiment, but it's a beautiful one. Sakukitty is not going to get much more than sentiments in words here, it's up to her what she does with them. Hopefully something beautiful as usual.

Edited by Loki Laufeyjarson

Yours? Basically, you said, "I'm sorry for what happened but I love YOU" which is a beautiful sentiment. It's a sentiment, but it's a beautiful one. Sakukitty is not going to get much more than sentiments in words here, it's up to her what she does with them. Hopefully something beautiful as usual.

That just means you don't understand my reasoning. I'm being sincere here. You on the other hand are just trolling around on what someone said when they very likely weren't intending what you're implying at all.

And now you're doing the same to me.

Try not to make wild assumptions and ruining this topic. That's not what it was made for.

From the one or two times I've interacted with An, she struck me as one of the sweetest people upon meeting her.

I don't think what had happened is going to sink in for me any time soon.

;________;

It would figure someone like you would ask that question.

Someone like me? What do you mean?

Why are you trying to distract Sakukitty from the recovery process over her friend by trying to make her worry about someone else? Sakukitty needs to recover her SELF right now.

Everyone said just about everything I could say, so I added in that question because it was something else I had been thinking of. In addition to me legitimately wondering how he was feeling about this, I figured Sakukitty and him might feel better if she knew that there was someone who could understand her pain, that way, the two could talk about it with each other and perhaps make each other feel better. If Sakukitty's getting any healing from anybody, it's probably from the people closest to her and her friend, not from us.

Edited by FionordeQuester

Fionarde and anyone else that feels the need to get into an argument like this, shut up. Don't act like a tool in a thread like this -- it's fucking shameful. Someone close to the OP died. At any rate, "on/off" boyfriend is not at all an appropriate statement in the thread at hand; if you left out the "on/off" people wouldn't be so hardassed about what you said. Your intention was beside the point considering it came off completely differently than you'd expect.

At any rate... this reminds me of the time that someone (I didn't know them but others did) from my high school, same sort of predicament (GREAT person) died in a motorcycle accident. It was scary and extremely sad just hearing about it, especially because he was a senior when I was a freshman in high school -- we went to the same school for a year and it happened just like that. I am extremely sorry and while I dont really know you i'm around if you need to talk or vent (no guarantees on how much I'd be able to help)...

Fionarde and anyone else that feels the need to get into an argument like this, shut up. Don't act like a tool in a thread like this -- it's fucking shameful. Someone close to the OP died.

Sorry. I suppose I should've PM'ed him?

At any rate, "on/off" boyfriend is not at all an appropriate statement in the thread at hand; if you left out the "on/off" people wouldn't be so hardassed about what you said. Your intention was beside the point considering it came off completely differently than you'd expect.

Also sorry about this. I referred to him as this, since that's the way Sakukitty referred to him (I missed the part where she said his name was Jimmy), but, manners and etiquette have always been a weak spot of mine. Sorry.

At any rate... this reminds me of the time that someone (I didn't know them but others did) from my high school, same sort of predicament (GREAT person) died in a motorcycle accident. It was scary and extremely sad just hearing about it, especially because he was a senior when I was a freshman in high school -- we went to the same school for a year and it happened just like that. I am extremely sorry and while I dont really know you i'm around if you need to talk or vent (no guarantees on how much I'd be able to help)...

Sorry for your loss as well. I've never experienced this sort of thing, so, maybe that was my mistake. Trying to think of something to say when really, I had nothing.

Edited by FionordeQuester

That just means you don't understand my reasoning. I'm being sincere here. You on the other hand are just trolling around on what someone said when they very likely weren't intending what you're implying at all.

And now you're doing the same to me.

Try not to make wild assumptions and ruining this topic. That's not what it was made for.

Taking this to PM since this is not the place to keep fighting. Sakukitty, sorry for this.