cousin/nephew/niece?

whase

In Dutch, we have 1 word for both the children of your aunt and uncle's children, and for the children of your own brothers and sisters. And in all my years at school, I have never heard this to be different for the English language.

But today, the mother of a friend of mine, who studied for English teacher, told us cousin is only for uncle and aunt's children, and nephew/niece is only for your brother's and sister's children...

so now I want to know if everyone knows about this, were me and my friend the only ones making this mistake? Or is this something new for you too?

Yeah, it's true. I have plenty of cousins (all significantly older than me) from my uncles and aunts, but I don't have any nephews or nieces from my brother or sister. Also, for children of your cousins, they are usually called second cousins.

Yeah, it's true. I have plenty of cousins (all significantly older than me) from my uncles and aunts, but I don't have any nephews or nieces from my brother or sister. Also, for children of your cousins, they are usually called second cousins.

I thought those were just first cousins "once removed", and that second cousins were something like your cousins' cousins. NB: This is not my area of expertise. I am quite possibly wrong.

Holy shit. Thank you for explaining this cousin/nephew thing to me. I never really knew the difference. I mean now it sorta makes sense in retrospective... one is kinda directly linked to your genealogy while the other is a bit more distant in its branch.

Still, just call them kids.

I thought those were just first cousins "once removed", and that second cousins were something like your cousins' cousins. NB: This is not my area of expertise. I am quite possibly wrong.

That's what my family calls them, at least.

I thought niece was for the children of your children (and you'd be heir grandfather/mother) and nephew is for the children of your brother/sister (and you'd be their uncle/aunt).

Edited by Jhen Mohran

Well, I have second cousins once removed that I see fairly often, but I don't know which part of that refers to what. I think they're my mom's cousin's (adopted) children. Let's ask google! Second cousin once removed is the child of your second cousin or the second cousin on one's father or mother. So maybe they're my second cousins twice removed? Or once removed and then reverse removed?

Basically, in English family relations are confusing. Google also says that cousin can refer to anyone with whom you share a common ancestor. So everyone is cousins! Technically, my dogs and I are cousins! That makes it so much easier.

Well, I have second cousins once removed that I see fairly often, but I don't know which part of that refers to what. I think they're my mom's cousin's (adopted) children. Let's ask google! Second cousin once removed is the child of your second cousin or the second cousin on one's father or mother. So maybe they're my second cousins twice removed? Or once removed and then reverse removed?

Basically, in English family relations are confusing. Google also says that cousin can refer to anyone with whom you share a common ancestor. So everyone is cousins! Technically, my dogs and I are cousins! That makes it so much easier.

Damn, so if I'm eating a cucumber I'm eating one of my cousins? Yuck!

Anyways, first cousins are generally from the same generation as you while nieces/nephews are a generation lower. That's how I make the distinction anyways.

I thought niece was for the children of your children (and you'd be heir grandfather/mother) and nephew is for the children of your brother/sister (and you'd be their uncle/aunt).

Nephew is the male child of a sibling, niece is the female child. For example, I am the nephew of my dad's and mom's brothers (none of them have sisters), while my sister is their niece.

What's been said about cousin/niece/nephew is all correct but I'd like to clarify on the things like first/second cousins etc.

Your first cousin (usually just called cousin) is your parent's sibling's child

Your second cousin is your grandparent's sibling's grandchild

Your third cousin is your great-grandparent's sibling's great-grandchild

And so on. As for being "removed" there is one level of "removal" for each generation they are away from that relation.

e.g. your first cousin once removed is your cousin's child

Your second cousin twice removed can be your grandparent's sibling's grandchild's grandchild or your grandparent's sibling's grandchild's grandparent (your grandparent's sibling, often called your great uncle/aunt)

I hope that helped (though it probably made things more confusing)

Nephew is the male child of a sibling, niece is the female child. For example, I am the nephew of my dad's and mom's brothers (none of them have sisters), while my sister is their niece.

Oh... I was confusing niece for someother word :sweatdrop:

Cousin: (usual usage) Child of one's aunt or uncle.

Niece: Female child of one's sibling.

Nephew: Male child of one's sibling.

Second-cousin: Cousin of one's parents, IIRC.

Once you get past the first three shit just gets weird, I don't know if many people really know how the terminology for that goes. Currently I'm referring to the various spawn of my various cousins as "mini-cousins" but of course that's not really correct.

I've had at least one person exclaim "Oh, you're an auntie!" to me upon learning that some of my cousins have kids though, so it seems to be fairly muddled and lacking in a standard usage past cousin/niece/nephew.

So then a second cousin is also a first cousin once removed in some cases? Like mine could be second cousins once removed or third cousins?

Not quite, in your example above the cousins you mentioned were your second cousins (from the relation you described). A quick check is whether the family member in question is the same generation as you, if so they are not removed at all. The higher second/third etc. relate to how far back you have to go to find a direct ancestor you both share and the removal is how many generations they are away from you.

e.g. the relatives you mentioned were your second cousins and their parents (your mum's cousin and partner) will be either your first cousin once removed (one generation back to your mum, then her first cousin) or your second cousin once removed (your second cousin, then back one generation to their parents). I think.

Edit: Wikipedia has a chart that explains it better than me.

Edited by Byte2222

I have always been told that second cousins were the children of cousins, not my parents cousins. I guess I have been told wrong then? :/

At this point, could be all a matter of where you live! Needless to say, the Dutch make things much more simple!

I just like calling them cousins. It's a good generic word. When people discuss these kinds of things with me I admit they aren't things I pay a great deal of attention to past a certain point.

THAT BEING SAID one's extended family can be absolutely wonderful, and I think the nuclear family is overrated for our current situation (though mine is like amazing).