QUINTESSENCE? DONT UNDERSTAND

General Banzai

*Long*

Calm. Down. There's a heated argument and then there's practically flaming. This is for both of you. I see anymore signs of flaming in here and a warn will be given. Anymore after that and it'll be suspensions. Play nice or leave.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calm. Down. There's a heated argument and then there's practically flaming. This is for both of you. I see anymore signs of flaming in here and a warn will be given. Anymore after that and it'll be suspensions. Play nice or leave.

Yessir (ma'am?).

What all this really makes me wonder is who posted this on GameFAQs, and why?

On a side note, it could be said FE7's plot is more true to life because there are so many things left unanswered and unexplained: Life's a bad story, full of inconsistencies, absurd twists, ridiculous situations, and lacking closure.

Not sure where you're going with this. Can't speak for anyone else, but I like stories that make for a more interesting story than my own life.

Yawn.

And a slap on the wrist is no reason not to bother responding, Bonzai. Unless you'd like to concede, which is probably in your best interest at this point.

I think it'd be more purposeful of Othin and Banzai finished that FE8 or whatever other FE game post so they can be the ones defending a plot that's supposed to be much better than FE7's while everyone else gets to call plot holes everywhere. :p

I think it'd be more purposeful of Othin and Banzai finished that FE8 or whatever other FE game post so they can be the ones defending a plot that's supposed to be much better than FE7's while everyone else gets to call plot holes everywhere. :p

Well, that'll be fun, won't it?

Noe that we're done with this little diversion, I'll talk with Banzai about that.

@Othin: Oh, I wasn't really going anywhere with it. Just sort of felt like pointing it out. Being truer to life is good to a certain extent, but it can very easily go too far.

Alright then.

Yawn.

And a slap on the wrist is no reason not to bother responding, Banzai. Unless you'd like to concede, which is probably in your best interest at this point.

Ha ha, nice try. Unless you can indicate to me that you're willing to do this politely, then I see no reason to continue. Amazingly, this thread went 28 pages of mostly respectful discussion before a mod had to step in and post a warning.

I'm not gonna fall for your bait. Honestly, if you want a response to your last post, look to the response I made to the post before that. Both of us have simply recycled the same exact points for our last three posts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

Try to keep up if you're just jumping in. As a fun fact, I'm actually seriously considering pursing a Ph.D.

Re-read the article you linked me to, then re-read my statement. If you can't understand "the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device" used in my previous statement, I doubt a doctorate (or a masters, or even a bachelor's at an academically rigorous university) is in your future.

Re-read the article you linked me to, then re-read my statement. If you can't understand "the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device" used in my previous statement, I doubt a doctorate (or a masters, or even a bachelor's at an academically rigorous university) is in your future.

So I didn't realize you were, ah, dense. Sorry; I didn't mean to be rude to someone with your shortcomings. Here's a simplified explanation: see that original post? It's long as shit. Obscenely long, in fact, by forum standards. I called it a "dissertation" as a way to mock its excessive length, a form of something we call hyperbole. Since you didn't seem to understand what that term meant, I posted a convenient link for you to peruse at your leisure.

Yes, I understand that you were trying to be coy. And bless your heart, keep trying!

Ha ha, nice try. Unless you can indicate to me that you're willing to do this politely, then I see no reason to continue. Amazingly, this thread went 28 pages of mostly respectful discussion before a mod had to step in and post a warning.

I'm not gonna fall for your bait. Honestly, if you want a response to your last post, look to the response I made to the post before that. Both of us have simply recycled the same exact points for our last three posts.

Typical, and I should've seen it coming. It takes a very special kind of poster to spend hours typing up a mega-essay on a Fire Emblem critique, only to drop out of a debate after a few posts because poor wittle baby's feelings got hurt.

News flash. Respectful discussion doesn't translate into good discussion. As I said before, this entire topic has been an exercise in redundancy, something that I was hoping to shake up a bit. Trouble is, you appear to lack the reading comprehension skills of a middle-schooler, much less an alleged UCLA English major. If you really believe I've "recycled the same exact points," then you're hopeless.

And seriously, grow a pair. Are you really that offended by a forum debate about the plot of a GBA game? Apparently so, which makes me seriously question your priorities.

It's not that I'm offended, it's just that I'd rather this topic not get locked because it devolved into a flame war.

At this point, it might as well get locked. You have nothing to say that hasn't already been thoroughly debunked, as evidenced by your continued refusal to put forth a rebuttal.

At this point, it might as well get locked. You have nothing to say that hasn't already been thoroughly debunked, as evidenced by your continued refusal to put forth a rebuttal.

So whoever gets the last word wins? As I said before, you put forward no new points or evidence in your last post that you haven't already said before. You said yourself in an earlier post that we were simply going around in circles. When I explained this to you a couple posts back, you responded by insulting me, claiming I hadn't the reading comprehension skills of a middle-schooler.

So whoever gets the last word wins? As I said before, you put forward no new points or evidence in your last post that you haven't already said before. You said yourself in an earlier post that we were simply going around in circles. When I explained this to you a couple posts back, you responded by insulting me, claiming I hadn't the reading comprehension skills of a middle-schooler.

This is the second time you've claimed I said this, and this is the second time I'm telling you I didn't. The argument isn't going in circles. You're being obtuse, certainly, but we're slowly making progress bit by bit. Or we were, at least, until you decided to throw in the towel.

It has nothing to do with "the last word wins"; in a debate, one person makes a point, the other person responds, and the process continues. Simple. Currently, you're up next, and if I were to post again before you did, I would be repeating myself. Nothing I can do until you decide to step up to the plate.

Doomguy, you say you've read through this thread. In doing so, you may have noticed the unbalanced numbers of people arguing for the two sides. Banzai and I can't respond to everything here, not for as long as anyone might wish to keep pressing the point. After a few exchanges, we must figure out if we think there is any merit in continuing to argue a particular point. If it's not going anywhere, we must leave it be; we have no choice.

Some arguments we've had have lead to results and greater understanding. Banzai and I have conceded multiple points when the opposing argument has been sufficiently supported. We have no aversion to conceding points; we simply will not do it when it is not warranted. This argument will not lead to greater understanding of anything. It is not going anywhere; you have noted yourself that both sides have just been repeating the same arguments over and over. We disagree about why the argument has stagnated, but no attempt to convince the other about it is going to go anywhere, either.

As such, there is nothing left to argue here, no reason for us to continue responding to your posts. You seem to be the only one who thinks there's any point in continuing this back-and-forth, and that's just not enough. I will not respond to any more of your posts in this thread, and I believe I've convinced Banzai to not do so, either. I realize this is not what you wish, but it is not something you will be able to change by continuing to post requesting responses. Here, although we will never agree about why it will be necessary, we must agree to disagree.

Doomguy, you say you've read through this thread. In doing so, you may have noticed the unbalanced numbers of people arguing for the two sides. Banzai and I can't respond to everything here, not for as long as anyone might wish to keep pressing the point. After a few exchanges, we must figure out if we think there is any merit in continuing to argue a particular point. If it's not going anywhere, we must leave it be; we have no choice.

Some arguments we've had have lead to results and greater understanding. Banzai and I have conceded multiple points when the opposing argument has been sufficiently supported. We have no aversion to conceding points; we simply will not do it when it is not warranted. This argument will not lead to greater understanding of anything. It is not going anywhere; you have noted yourself that both sides have just been repeating the same arguments over and over. We disagree about why the argument has stagnated, but no attempt to convince the other about it is going to go anywhere, either.

As such, there is nothing left to argue here, no reason for us to continue responding to your posts. You seem to be the only one who thinks there's any point in continuing this back-and-forth, and that's just not enough. I will not respond to any more of your posts in this thread, and I believe I've convinced Banzai to not do so, either. I realize this is not what you wish, but it is not something you will be able to change by continuing to post requesting responses. Here, although we will never agree about why it will be necessary, we must agree to disagree.

You've got the attitude of a real winner.

First, you two absolutely do "have a choice" about responding to people. If you had the time to think up and finish this colossal, fire-starting OP, then surely it's not too much trouble to take the time and respond to those who engage your thread. Second- and this is now the third time I've said this- I do not believe the argument is going in circles. I believe it is moving in a clear direction (my direction, naturally), and that a consensus is inevitable if given the proper commitment on both sides. That's how debating tends to work.

But hey, feel free to do whatever you like. This isn't a sanctioned debate or anything, so you've got the luxury of choosing to ignore posts at your pleasure. Just don't pretend that this is a matter of "having no choice"; it's a matter of giving up, which is exactly the kind of move I'd expect a couple of losers to take.

Thanks a lot for playing, and better luck next time.

Actually an admin warned both of you to stop first, I am just softer about it so nobody noticed :(.

I am going to help both of you out so you can avoid any further warnings, since you insist on continuing!

Edited by Tangerine

Well, I'm not sure what just happened, but if we're all happy now, I'm not too concerned.

Anyway, Banzai's offline for the rest of the day, but he says he'll do the rest of the FE8 analysis tomorrow, and I'm posting this here to hold him to that.

So I didn't realize you were, ah, dense. Sorry; I didn't mean to be rude to someone with your shortcomings. Here's a simplified explanation: see that original post? It's long as shit. Obscenely long, in fact, by forum standards. I called it a "dissertation" as a way to mock its excessive length, a form of something we call hyperbole. Since you didn't seem to understand what that term meant, I posted a convenient link for you to peruse at your leisure.

Yes, I understand that you were trying to be coy. And bless your heart, keep trying!

I think you've missed the point here, or my post wasn't as clear as I intended it to be. My assertion in my original statement was that someone who believed the original post could be a dissertation shouldn't be taken seriously about anything. Ever. Which obviously (at least to me, but I made the post so I guess it would be obvious to me) was just as much an exaggeration as your poking fun of the length of the original post. Which is why I directed you back to your own link, so that you could understand I also was exaggerating in my original statement.

Well, I'm not sure what just happened, but if we're all happy now, I'm not too concerned.

You are painfully boring.

I think you've missed the point here, or my post wasn't as clear as I intended it to be. My assertion in my original statement was that someone who believed the original post could be a dissertation shouldn't be taken seriously about anything. Ever. Which obviously (at least to me, but I made the post so I guess it would be obvious to me) was just as much an exaggeration as your poking fun of the length of the original post. Which is why I directed you back to your own link, so that you could understand I also was exaggerating in my original statement.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with "obvious to you." But no hard feelings.

You are painfully boring.

You are painfully arrogant.

Well, looks like this is over. I look forward to seeing what I can disprove in your FE8 essay. I'm serious, it was interesting doing this, and it made me actually pay attention to the story in this game for the first time in literally years.

You are painfully arrogant.

Well, looks like this is over. I look forward to seeing what I can disprove in your FE8 essay. I'm serious, it was interesting doing this, and it made me actually pay attention to the story in this game for the first time in literally years.

Have you not read his posts about FE8 over on the Sacred Stones board? He's literally obsessed with the game. The odds of him critiquing that game as... uh... "thoroughly" as this one is infinitesimal. Better off betting on the Knicks to win a championship.