QUINTESSENCE? DONT UNDERSTAND

General Banzai

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean I'd expect him to have people lining up.

But that would go entirely against the principles of the Black Fang which only happened when Sonia was manipulating him.

I'd check the exact quote from Lloyd, but Serenes doesn't have his chapter. Do you have the line?

That could have happened, but it can't have been their intention. It's clear that no such thing happened, so if Darin and/or Ephidel had expected it to, in talking about fleeing to Valor, the primary reason would have been the failure of the pro-Laus territories to respond, and they would have said as much, but they said no such thing.

They didn't really have much chance to respond before Eliwood routed them but

Our plans may have gone drastically awry, but as long as we have the master's power behind us, we cannot be defeated. We'd do well to leave now, before those meddlesome worms arrive. You will leave everyone from Laus behind. We will use them to delay our foe.

Its only then after Bauker is defeated that they have well and truly given up on the rebellion coming to fruition.

If they are so hard to find, how would anyone be able to hire them? Leila managed to waltz right in there no problem, why couldn't Bern do the same?

Fiora also found them at the cost of her entire unit, look what happened in Crazed Beast when Hector tried to find them, just because Leila did it doesn't mean that its easy.

What would have been best is if Ch 25 Hector did not exist, as it's 100% entirely filler.

I dunno, man, Farina is pretty essential to Hector's development.

In a game like Fire Emblem, I hardly think a few filler chapters are a big deal. This is one point in particular where you really need to remember the difference between a game and a novel/movie/etc. In terms of gameplay Ch 25 is fairly unique in its objective, a new character shows up, and I, at least, find it pretty fun. So story-wise it may be useless but Hector's mode isn't really the "main" story so-to-speak in the first place.

It occurs to me. General Banzai, you complained in this topic about the story and artwork being childish. I would like to direct you to C.S Lewis:

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

Sounds about right, Sage. That's part of why I hate middleschoolers and, well, most children in general.

About the Jaffar thing, this is gonna come off douchie, and you day we're making ridiculous logical leaps. I'll explain if you want.

It occurs to me. General Banzai, you complained in this topic about the story and artwork being childish. I would like to direct you to C.S Lewis:

Haven't read anything by Lewis, and thus I can't comment on whether or not he knows what he's talking about.

What I have heard about him--that his fantasy books are hardcore religious allegories (not to mention several of his other, lesser-known works are literally critical essays on religion)--seem to contradict everything he just said in that quote, however.

Haven't read anything by Lewis, and thus I can't comment on whether or not he knows what he's talking about.

What I have heard about him--that his fantasy books are hardcore religious allegories (not to mention several of his other, lesser-known works are literally critical essays on religion)--seem to contradict everything he just said in that quote, however.

You seriously haven't read Alice in Wonderland?

That was Narnia dear.

I don't think they were intended to be hardcore allegorical novels. They were clearly aimed at children and there just happens to be Christian symbolism there if this is accurate.

EDIT: Damn. Ninja'd.

Edited by Sagekitty

Have you ever been seduced by a woman? It's harder to say "no" than you're trying to imply. Yes, it is possible to push back, and people do it all the time. But it almost sounds like you're saying that Brendan, through all his zealous years, isn't allowed to have a weak moment. That he can't be human.

Reputation means nothing. Legault has a reputation, and he quickly dismisses it. Ike has a reputation of being a hero/villain (depending on your country), yet he sees himself simply as a mercenary. Very easily could Brenden have this reputation, yet see himself as just some dude doing things.

And "supposed to be better" does not mean "perfect." Priests and such give in to temptation every now and then just as well.

This goes back to characters being allowed to have flaws and make mistakes. Yes, it wasn't very smart of Brendan to let Sonia slowly take control of the Black Fang, but that doesn't necessarily mean that this was a poor choice on the part of the writers.

Edited by -Cynthia-

They're definitely religious. They're chock full of religious symbolism, but at the same time they aren't in your face. You need to be at least somewhat familiar with Christianity to see the symbolism. If you aren't you'll just think they're fantasy. They're also definitely children's books. I'm not a fan, but they are good. As for the other stuff, I haven't read them either, but I get the sense that they aren't so much critical of religion so much as they are critiques.

They're definitely religious. They're chock full of religious symbolism, but at the same time they aren't in your face. You need to be at least somewhat familiar with Christianity to see the symbolism. If you aren't you'll just think they're fantasy. They're also definitely children's books. I'm not a fan, but they are good. As for the other stuff, I haven't read them either, but I get the sense that they aren't so much critical of religion so much as they are critiques.

Oh, they're not critical of Christianity at all. I meant in the way of critique.

Okay, I kinda thought you meant of other religions since he was a hardcore Christian. Like I said, I'm not really familiar with them but I think his intent was that you shouldn't accept things on blind faith. I belive he analyzed Christianity so much to challenge his own beliefs and see if it really was right for him to be a Christian. If he found anything he couldn't resolve with himself then he would have stopped being a Christian. Then he published them so people who also wanted to do the same didn't have to go though all the religious texts he did, which as I understand was a hella lot.

By the way, can I have a link to the peer reviewed Space Invaders plot analysis? I could use some laughs.

Furthermore, I'm wondering why there'd be a plot analysis on Space Invaders. It's an arcade game made in 1979. There wasn't really a plot beyond "aliens invade. You good. Kill them." I don't see why people would bother with a detailed analysis of a plot of a game that has less a plot than FE11.

Wait, what? His writing ability and other beliefs/thoughts/comments aren't relevant to that point at all. What is relevant is the idea that shunning things that are "childish" is childish itself. You can agree or disagree, but don't dismiss the idea because of not having read his works.

I'm of the belief you've made some really good analysis of some issues with FE7, wether I agree with all of them, or your overall point, or neither. I've never read anything else you've ever posted or discussed here, and I've never read any of your writings. If you're asking people who haven't read everything you've written (Seems like every one but Othin) to take your critique seriously based on the merit of your arguments, you should do the same for others shouldn't you?

By the way, can I have a link to the peer reviewed Space Invaders plot analysis? I could use some laughs.

Furthermore, I'm wondering why there'd be a plot analysis on Space Invaders. It's an arcade game made in 1979. There wasn't really a plot beyond "aliens invade. You good. Kill them." I don't see why people would bother with a detailed analysis of a plot of a game that has less a plot than FE11.

I actually can't, because I could be sued. You need special permission to even show an article like that to a class, let alone publicly post it on the internet.

I actually can't, because I could be sued. You need special permission to even show an article like that to a class, let alone publicly post it on the internet.

Out of curiosity, where was it published, or was it a peer write up? I'm not that familiar with literary journals, but I can't think of any that would be that strict with something like that.

Out of curiosity, where was it published, or was it a peer write up? I'm not that familiar with literary journals, but I can't think of any that would be that strict with something like that.

Really? At UCLA I have access to like over 9000 literary journals but they made me agree to all this crap about not distributing them.

Yeah, basically at UNCW they say go find a source, or article, or story, based on the assignment, and don't plagiarise it. They really don't care if we let people see it because most are public access, so we wouldn't really be changing much by sharing them.