Fire Emblem 12 ~Heroes~ Translation Project

Can be or are? Because I seem to remember dondon saying that they were nothing alike.

Both can be ベル (beru)-something, as there's no definitive rule when you're talking about how Japanese write foreign names/words. They have limited phonemes and write as they speak, after all.

Just as a reference: I've seen Berserk written as "baasaku" and "beruseruku" in Japanese.

Is it a stretch? Yes, I think so too. But one could say they're as different as Ruthea is from Lucius.

Edited by TheEnd

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh god no, that would be another dutch word: - Haar, meaning hair in dutch, Barts, meaning crack, Verf would mean Paint in dutch, please stop, the list goes on and on already... ;_; Belf / Vergil are great names for him.

Some people think Belf is just about the worst name IS has ever come up with, and someone suggested Vergil- knowing it was a stretch- as a better alternative. I mean, NoA did things like Asseray->Artur, which is really a bigger change than Belf->Vergil, to improve the name even though it might not fit the kana, and these people figured they were doing the same thing. I don't agree with Belf being a terrible name, but I think Vergil is just fine. I mean, beyond NoA changing names to improve them (i.e. Asseray) they have also done very random things like Stella->Astrid.

Edited by Rewjeo

There was a poll. The fans who voted chose Vergil. It might be better to just deal with it.

Weren't the options "Vergil" and "Virgel"? Some poll...

Besides, vergil has a kinda classy, maybe slightly stuck up feeling to it imo, well, his hair and outfit, and sable order status fit that quite well.

How you perceive him, and What he is, are not the same. What makes the Sable Order stuck-up? What makes you associate that feeling with his garb? Why do you associate Vergil with those specifications?

You may be able to connect associations, but connecting the dots doesn't mean you've created the intended image. All it means is you've made a pattern out of the dots. Whether that is the intended pattern or not is not able to be answered by blind associations.

Don't expect much more than that from Blazer/Arch.

Edited by Celice

I merely stated that he feels more of a classy person than a bucket of paint. I didn't state that he was that way, I just said i was happy with the name vergil/belf, because, again: IMO, they fit him more than the name 'paint'. Besides, you don't have to use him if you don't like his name, yay for 77 chars. ;o

I had suggested "Belves" and "Bell," but I don't think enough people like me enough to warm up to that suggestion.

I merely stated that he feels more of a classy person than a bucket of paint. I didn't state that he was that way, I just said i was happy with the name vergil/belf, because, again: IMO, they fit him more than the name 'paint'. Besides, you don't have to use him if you don't like his name, yay for 77 chars. ;o

This is a terrible justification for not appropriately selecting an English name.

Edited by dondon151

My name means "Doctor of God" in Hebrew. I don't want to be a doctor at all. Does that mean I have a shitty name?

Same idea here. Just because his name's etymology doesn't fit YOUR view of him doesn't mean that it can't be his name.

My problem with Virgil is that it seems like they just picked a name out of nowhere. I'd probably go with Belves or something. I have a pretty good feeling that I've posted this same thing before in this very topic.

My name means "Doctor of God" in Hebrew. I don't want to be a doctor at all. Does that mean I have a shitty name?

I have a feeling we might have the same name, though mine is "Healer of god/God heals/etc"

On the online functions, I have a question that might have been brought up before. Will the patch automatically unlock the wi-fi "download" stages and items?

And so the topic gets thrown into the volcano

@Hikarussr possibly as a separate patch but the main one will not have "bonus features" or anything like that as the main focus is to translate, not to make it easy for people to enjoy the entirety of the game (though translating definitely helps with that xP). Hopefully that makes sense (does it?).

Okay so once this Translation Patch is updated, Do i have to use a new rom. (It would suck to start over my progress just for an update!)

• 1 month later...

I saw an update in the Blog of this Project.

By the Pictures and notice i saw, It looks like progress is going great. I think i am also going to like the Base Conversations and Dialogue by the Looks of the Preview.

I say, this is awesome. Can't wait until the full patch is donesmile.gif

Question: Would Patching the New Version over the Old one in the ROM be a bad idea? If so, how would i put in the Patch without losing my current save data?

Edited by Aelphaeis Mangarae

It's always best to patch a clean rom, but don't worry. Save data isn't actually stored inside the ROM file itself, but as an extra file (often a .sav). So, as long as you keep your rom's filename intact, you should be able to make use of your old save without any trouble.

I'm talking about battery saves, though. Savestates can be more finicky.

Edited by TheEnd

Does this Apply to DSV Files (I use Desmume)...

Okay, I tested it out with a spare file and it works. Thanks for the information...

Edited by Aelphaeis Mangarae

About what, different save loading? It should all be kosher until the project starts making changes to the SRAM directly. Savestates are fair-game too (safe). Just get the game to reset its status in the RAM so it can load the changes--it will have the game's content before a patch still loaded, and thus displayed, until it's told to recall the relevant data again :)

I'm talking about an "idiots guide to transferring saves", essentially. I already know how to do it but I'm kind of lazy and don't feel like figuring things out in detail (specific file extensions, which folders to put them in, loading stuff, naming conventions, etc). At least, not right now. *shrug*

I realize it's easy for you but I like to assume people have little to no knowledge of anything, including basic logic. That way guides tend to be more foolproof XP