Ivalice Mafia - Winners: Clan No Lynch

Radiant Dragon

Probably for the best, I almost certainly wouldn't have been able to resist doing this:

Rules.

Death is certainly the end for everyone.

If your role pm contradicts the rules, follow your role pm.

Ezel the Town Rogue.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TA is good, TA2 is utter shit.

TA2 is fine. I don't really agree with some of the changes like making it harder to recruit units and having to unlock classes, but other than that the gameplay is pretty much the same as TA. I'm not sure how you could play both games and hate one and love the other when they both have almost identical mechanics.

TA2 is fine. I don't really agree with some of the changes like making it harder to recruit units and having to unlock classes, but other than that the gameplay is pretty much the same as TA. I'm not sure how you could play both games and hate one and love the other when they both have almost identical mechanics.

The evade and damage mechanics are a little different as well, in addition to lots of abilities being less accurate than they should. That said, I do prefer TA2. Luso's hilarious.

The mana changes, laws being a joke, the plot, as well as other things make me hate FFTA2.

The mana changes, laws being a joke, the plot, as well as other things make me hate FFTA2.

The laws are certainly not jokes in FFTA2. To the contrary, while 2 always only has one active law, it has much more complete bullshit laws than FFTA. In FFTA, you avoid the "Don't mimic the previous move" and "Don't hurt monsters" laws and you're perfectly fine. In FFTA2, things like "don't heal", "never deal more than 50 damage", "never miss" (when most attacks cannot have 100% hit) pretty much guarantee that you lose the ability to revive people. They could as well not even have put phoenix downs and the raise spell into the game in the first place, because 90% of the time, you won't be able to make use of them - either because you've already broken the law, or because reviving someone would be breaking the law.

And yes, the MP system is bullshit in FFTA2. What's the point in raising your max MP if your MP will never come close to being full anyway?

But while the game had many flaws, I still thought it was decent at least. Not as good as FFTA, and I've never played the original FFT, but hey.

Breaking the law in FFTA2 means you can't revive characters for the rest of the fight, compared to FFTA where it flat out removes the law breaker from play. Which is a cunt when you hit enemies like the final boss that scramble laws to mess with you.

Laws are a complete joke in FFTA2 because you can easily completely ignore them and not suffer in the slightest, unless you somehow manage to get someone killed. You say they may as well have not put Phoenix Downs or Revive in, on the contrary, they may as well have just not put the laws in.

@RD:

- The "Don't have less than x HP" ones, as you yourself mentioned.

- The "Don't heal" one. Reviving heals at the very least one HP, breaking the law.

- IIRC, in some missions the Holy element is banned. All methods of reviving someone have the holy element for some reason.

Yes, you can ignore laws in FFTA2 if you have the advantage anyway. But in the late- and postgame, in the towers and stuff, you do not have the advantage. With some of the monsters having bullshit moves like the one that gives haste and regena to the entire enemy party, lots of more-or-less instant death attacks and enemies just generally being completely overpowered, not being able to revive someone is kinda crippling.

FFTA on the other hand? Most of the laws are piss-easy to abide by, and like 90% of them can in fact be avoided altogether by just not deploying certain units. Yes, the punishment for actually breaking a law is much more severe, but it really is your own fault if you do. There are no bullshit laws like "you must not miss".

You also have control over what laws appear in which mission, and can actually negate ones that bother you, as well as add ones that cripple your enemies.

In FFTA2, enemies ignore laws altogether, and most laws ban something that can't be avoided by simply not deploying certain types of units. The punishment for breaking the law may not be as severe, but it's still crippling in a difficult fight. FFTA2 happens to have significantly more difficult missions than FFTA.

Then again, I guess laws don't matter if, like in FFTA2's Final Tournament, you never even get a turn at some point because the entire enemy party consists of tonberries that get two free turns at the very beginning of the fight to shove instant death attacks into your face that cannot be negated in anyway (because they simply deal 999 damage with a 100% hit chance). Find me a single fight in FFTA where you can lose with a maximum level party before you even get to move (or at all, really).

Edited by Shade of Shadow

If I'm not mistaken, Phoenix and Phoenix Downs are not Holy-based.

I may be confusing that with FFTA1, then. I'm 100% certain one of my units got a red card there because they used a phoenix down on someone when Holy was banned.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the game further. Continue.

Edited by Shade of Shadow

It has that cave doesn't it? Where you can't revive anyone who dies there?

That's FFTA, and you can still revive them. You just lose them permanently if they end the battle KO'd.

I mean the ones that take away the law. With Illua.

Oh, right. I thought you meant a law against reviving.

Except for the final boss, who is hard mainly because she has a %chance of using a Totema turn 1 and killing all your units immediately.

Yeah, that sucks.