Favourite Underappreciated Games thread

Narga_Rocks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never even played the series. The most I've been in contact is its constant theme song rolling on rainwave's streams.

(I thought the entire concept was pretty boring, like the imma-doctor game on the DS).

Destiny of an Emperor seems to be a series that was forgotten about pretty quick too. It >>>>> Dynasty Warrior crap :)

I've never even played the series. The most I've been in contact is its constant theme song rolling on rainwave's streams.

(I thought the entire concept was pretty boring, like the imma-doctor game on the DS).

As a game, it's not very interesting, but the dialogue is hilarious and I would hazard to say that the serious parts are actually good too. And I really love the music. Listen to the jazz/soul and classical spins on the soundtrack for some damn good stuff!!!

I think the Legacy of Kain series is underappreciated.

At least there's a good segment of the internet that plays Legacy of Kain- anywhere you go you can search Legacy of Kain and get something. I've yet to see a Shadow Hearts fan here.

City-building games such as Emperor:Rise of the Middle Kingdom appear to be rather underappreciated.

I also would like to point out the Total War series, which seems to be quite a minority in the RTS department unless I'm mistaken (I probably am...)

I also would like to point out the Total War series, which seems to be quite a minority in the RTS department unless I'm mistaken (I probably am...)

Total War always seems to sell reasonably well, it's just that I've never seen its fanbase permeate the communities I visit (not very many) too heavily...

I think that Valkyria Chronicles should get more love.

It's popular enough in Japan to spawn two sequels, a cartoon, and a few comics and a figurine sets. Over here, you basically find stores like Gamestop promoting it, but that's it. You don't hear much discussion about it. :(:

The Dark Cloud series could use some love too. We only got two games in the entire series for crying out loud!

Underappreciated is known as "Rondo of Swords". Everyone thinks an absolutely wonderful game is a piece of crap.

I also like Etrian Odyssey (II, haven't play I or III.) Mapping is fun!

Great, you can help me out in Rondo of Swords, I'm stuck. And EO is very fun. Using your imagination while playing a game is fun!

I love all of the Hamtaro games, my favorite being Rainbow Rescue. Breath of Fire III doesn't get much discussion either, needs more.

As an advocate of "popularity = quality" I have little to no 'underappreciated' games.

In that context though the NES is highly underappreciated here since it's still the console with the most household penetration.

By the definition that is going around here though it's definitely

The colorful and detailed graphics, the amazing music, the highly refined physics... this game is a shining example of pushing a console to the limits and how you should alway check out the games coming out at the end of a console's life cycle as there is always some amazing stuff.

As an advocate of "popularity = quality" I have little to no 'underappreciated' games.

Well, I suggest considering the possibility of under-advertised or other such reasons rather than popularity = quality, but to each his own.

• 2 months later...

Yggdra Union

Oh, and I think Okami is underappreciated as well

Yggdra Union was a very good game 100% pure epicness. Practically any Japanese Game (Hint: like FE, VC, Golden Sun, and Tohou) is bound to have a secretive fan base. Riviera: The Promised Land is very underappreciated. Despite the LONG battle scenes, I still found the game to be fun and interesting.

Chameleon Twist-n64

Yggdra Union-GBA

Pikmin series for GCn and WII

Don't see a lot of people interested in PIKMIN.....

Also, does FE count

Battalion Wars

De Blob.....

And how 'bout Excitebots-while childish, it does have a wacky appeal...

Or how 'bout The Night into dream series...

Or the Spyro series

Also, TMNT Smash-up is a good clone of SSBB/SSBM......

Yeah, seriously-I've yet to meet people who enjoy Pikmin.

And have yet to meet people IRL who enjoy FE...

don't make a republican field joke don't make a republican field joke don't make a republican field joke

Popularity as quality seems like a really flawed idea to me, it certainly doesn't imply lack of quality but it seems to me that it's more about appeal to a certain audience. Poor distribution and bad timing (releasing on a lame duck system, for example) can lead to a well-made game getting swept out to obscurity to no fault of its own design.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2wua0sRWok&list=FLfjDYxfPDiaKN8AjqI6inJg&index=59&feature=plpp_video

so many nostalgia-nerd boners for this game oh my god the chibi hordes of destiny

This would have been a really good appeal to whatever audience I fit in, if I had been more than friggin 4yo at the time it was released. The same guy who introduced me to emulation (he had a massive rom library holy shit) and Super Punch-out showed me this, and it's probably part of the reason I got into Fire Emblem later. Best baby-sitter the fuck ever

and no sequel ever came to america.

the end >8C

Edited by Rehab

You know what had poor distribution, bad timing and little marketing?

The Virtual Boy!

There' a point there, but what games did the Virtual Boy have? That's really all quality depends on in the end.

Chameleon Twist-n64

Yggdra Union-GBA

Pikmin series for GCn and WII

Don't see a lot of people interested in PIKMIN.....

Also, does FE count

Battalion Wars

De Blob.....

And how 'bout Excitebots-while childish, it does have a wacky appeal...

Or how 'bout The Night into dream series...

Or the Spyro series

Also, TMNT Smash-up is a good clone of SSBB/SSBM......

Yeah, seriously-I've yet to meet people who enjoy Pikmin.

And have yet to meet people IRL who enjoy FE...

I played pikmin before and it's a pretty decent game. I always seem to leave at least one yellow pikmin behind (not that I really need him since I have over 89). But it still gets to me that I couldn't save him. And also in SSBB, not that many people play as Olimar, I mean his attacks are cool, and if you know how to use him, he WILL kick their asses lol.

The Breath of Fire games are great and they not only need more love from gamers, they need more love from their developers.

I love Breath of Fire, mostly because you had to solve multiple puzzles to know where to go. I remember getting stuck at the lvl where you had to find the city in the desert. Took a total of 45 minutes before I found the dang thing lol ^_^

Edited by Lord Glenn