The new art style

H-Bastaki

Don't hold your breath over Oswin actually, he may start out doing a ton of damage and enemies may start out tinking him but he really lags because of his lack of move and everything. Armors were never that great except like... Gatrie in FE10.

I guess I get lucky then, haha. Then again, I stopped playing HHM after chapter 15, I think. I hate school . :/

Neat, someone else who likes Phoenix Wright, you excited he's in UMvC3?

Of course! I'm more excited for Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, though, because I don't think I'll be able to buy UMvC3.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are hoop skirts really all that much worse than miniskirts, practicality wise? Especially given her role on the battlefield?

Given her role, not much of a difference. But under all circumstances, miniskirts would be more practical. I mean, something like hoop skirts would naturally restrict movement (and maybe even make it more likely to trip?). Mini skirts on the other hand is more like a cloth used in an attempt at decency (or modesty or whatever), but since it's small, it's unlikely to restrict movement. Its only disadvantage is that it offers little warmth, but... I can't remember Fire Emblem characters ever changing what they wear for weather conditions.

... In fact, mini skirts have the added ability of distracting the enemy team if they're like that. Sadly, the same would go for allies.

I think you guys are mixing up art style and art direction.

The main complaint of people against the new 'art style' is that the clothing and armor looks less practical, whereas in previous FEs it always made sense both in practicability and the character's background (ie. Titania has the fanciest armor of all the Greil Mercenaries because she was once a high-ranking royal knight).

Well if the majority of people are blaming practicality and background (and even the story's tone, I'd say), then I suppose though they might have a point practicality-wise, it wouldn't be fair to judge on background--as far as I know, most of us don't know what this story is even about... right?

Are hoop skirts really all that much worse than miniskirts, practicality wise? Especially given her role on the battlefield?

Woman with skirt-experience checking in!

Miniskirts can allow for movement, but it depends on what it's made out of. My stretchy one does not hinder my movement, but if I had one made of cured leather, it would royally suck. Something I have to consider is making sure the wind doesn't catch it, or things get super-embarrassing.

Hoop skirts allow you to stride as far as the hoops will let you (try to extend it any further, and you trip). They also have the added humbug of being heavier than a miniskirt, and being hotter, temperature-wise. I guess it protects the legs, but I'd much rather have mobility.

I'd think a standard robe would fit a cleric more than a skirt!

Yeah, I don't think it's overly odd. She's clearly not a front-line unit of any sort, so I don't see what's so odd about the outfit. Although it would be a really odd outfit if she was a melee unit.

And why no UMvC3 Phoenix Wright?

Edited by Mirron

Woman with skirt-experience checking in!

Miniskirts can allow for movement, but it depends on what it's made out of. My stretchy one does not hinder my movement, but if I had one made of cured leather, it would royally suck. Something I have to consider is making sure the wind doesn't catch it, or things get super-embarrassing.

Hoop skirts allow you to stride as far as the hoops will let you (try to extend it any further, and you trip). They also have the added humbug of being heavier than a miniskirt, and being hotter, temperature-wise. I guess it protects the legs, but I'd much rather have mobility.

I'd think a standard robe would fit a cleric more than a skirt!

True, I was thinking of the ones that really limit mobility.

Maybe she can have the same movement as knights! And be unable to pass through mountains and forests! Gogo healer who joins early and actually manages to suck!

Yeah, I don't think it's overly odd. She's clearly not a front-line unit of any sort, so I don't see what's so odd about the outfit. Although it would be a really odd outfit if she was a melee unit.

And why no UMvC3 Phoenix Wright?

No monies. :(

Why would you want your healer to suck? They're a royal pain to level as it is without abuse. I hope that it becomes a bit easier to level them, much harder to reach 20 without healing every scratch, which costs a lot of gold, or bonus exp.

And no money sucks. I know that issue. I'm getting it, but Kirby is the only other thing on my list.

much harder to reach 20 without healing every scratch, which costs a lot of gold, or bonus exp.

Healers are almost always my first ones to level due to their inherent experience flow available wherever one's hurt. Their cost is negligible, and often enough staves are thrown at you that I never pay for them at all.

Go back and play FE1, realize the only way to get a good healer is to use the Mage :P

Healers are almost always my first ones to level due to their inherent experience flow available wherever one's hurt. Their cost is negligible, and often enough staves are thrown at you that I never pay for them at all.

Go back and play FE1, realize the only way to get a good healer is to use the Mage :P

Why do people assume they must level healers for them to be good?

I agree that staffers were kinda egh in FE1 since their leveling meant they couldn't grow staff rank, so only a select few could actually use the very powerful stuff like Warp. Tough luck, Riff.

• 2 weeks later...

His point went way over your head didn't it?

The art style used in this game is fine. The only complaints I think anyone can really have are that it looks more "generic anime like" (but so does every JRPG) and that there are no talking and blinking frames.

Generic- "Characteristic of or relating to a class or group; not specific"

Haha, this could possibly be the most redundant comment ever. "People complain about this game looking generic, but then again, every JRPG looks generic". I mean seriously. Seriously. That is why people are complaining about it in the first place.

Anyways, I don't really like the new artstyle much at all. But hey, it's not...tooo bad, and even though I'd much rather have something along the lines of...really any of the past FE games, it's not going to stop me from enjoying the game. Hopefully the storyline isn't as overblown and convoluted as the art is, because that would suck.

Why do people assume they must level healers for them to be good?

Probably because if you use a Level 1 healer at chapter 20 they will die pretty quickly - oh, I almost neglected to mention that, you know, general speaking, higher levels means higher magic.

Probably because if you use a Level 1 healer at chapter 20 they will die pretty quickly - oh, I almost neglected to mention that, you know, general speaking, higher levels means higher magic.

Given that FE1 is being discussed, where many characters, healers included, don't get anything out of leveling up in the first place, and Magic as a stat doesn't even exist in any form at all, I'd say those really aren't relevant issues here.

Given that FE1 is being discussed, where many characters, healers included, don't get anything out of leveling up in the first place, and Magic as a stat doesn't even exist in any form at all, I'd say those really aren't relevant issues here.

My bad, I thought we were just talking about FE in general.

If we're done talking about healers here, I'd like to talk about the art some more...

OP: I like the art style a lot. It reminds me of Disgaea, especially the exaggerated expressions the characters have in cutscenes gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

For those who haven't played Disgaea:

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/1976/179809-disgaea.jpg

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2003/ps2/disgea/0820/dis_screen002.jpg

http://www.gameplasma.com/images2/disgaea_3__6_.jpg

Fire Emblem doesn't have it. And the art style doesn't really match that at all--check out the FE13 page on Serenes Forest to see a snippit of the high-res art. It's still Fire Emblem-y. It just has a slightly different style to it.

The art styles have been changing all the time, and this one isn't anything new. Hell, it's way better than to two DS remakes. Their art style was so... weird.