Pokemon SoulSilver Draft

Bluedoom

Well, considering anything I draft from here probably won't be used, I'll just get this over with.

Pokemon Soulsilver: Lyra's Grand Adventure

To begin, I do all the usual, get Pokegear, etc. Change text speed to fast, battle scene to off. Go to lab, get Cyndaquil (now to be known as Quilly), proceed through Route 29, bashing up wild Pokes on my way to Cherrygrove. In Cherrygrove, I save after the tutorial, grab 10 Potions from the Mart, and then head north, toggling the Running Shoes permanently on. I make it to Mr Pokemon's house, and rush back to Cherrygrove. I save before taking on my rival. Following are the stats of Quilly:

Name       Species    Nature   Lvl HP  Atk Def SpA SpD Spe
Quilly     Cyndaquil  Jolly    8   26  14  12  13  13  17

Total time so far: 0:14

I subsequently wreck my Rival (who will be called Dennis, don't know why) without even having to think about it. I return to the lab, and then backtrack all the way to Route 30, and proceed to blast every trainer there into oblivion, and when I get Ember it was much easier. Route 31 also went down easily. I save as I enter Violet City.

Quilly     Cyndaquil  Jolly    12  35  19  16  18  18  24

Total time so far: 0:31

So after that, I burn lots of Bellsprout in Sprout Tower (I healed at the Pokemon Center beforehand), Quilly evolves on the way up, and I use the Escape Rope to bail once I beat the Elder. I immediately go to the Gym, without healing, skip the trainers and save before Falkner.

Quilly     Quilava    Jolly    15  47  26  24  27  26  34

Total time so far: 0:40

Falkner was pathetic. I managed to crit Ember Pidgeotto, and subsequently 2HKO it. Wow. I get the Togepi egg, get some Repels and other healing items, then go to the Pokemon Center to get rid the egg, and heal Quilava. I rush down through Route 32, beating up trainers on the way. I save before entering Union Cave, with a Repel active.

Quilly     Quilava    Jolly    17  52  29  26  30  28  38

Total time so far: 0:49

I rush through Union Cave, not fighting anything. I grab Kurt and (pretty much) throw him down the well. I beat up Team Rocket really easily. By dropping Sentret off in the PC (I caught it for Cut), I don't have a fight the twins in Azalea Gym. Quilava gets Flame Wheel just before Bugsy. I save.

Quilly     Quilava    Jolly    20  59  34  30  35  33  45

Total time so far: 0:58

Bugsy went down as quickly as Falkner. Scyther is 2HKO'ed by Flame Wheel (also outsped), Metapod and Kakuna are pathetic. I managed to crit both of them with Flame Wheel. Not sure if that was necessary, though. I bring Sentret back into the party, heal, and save before taking Dennis. I OHKO Gastly with Flame Wheel, cop -6 Speed against Croconaw and almost dying, 5HKO'ing it with Flame Wheel (1 crit). I riskily keep Quilly in against Zubat, and cop a Supersonic to the face. I manage to hit it with Flame Wheel without hitting myself, OHKO'ing it.

And that was probably going to be the hardest fight for me for the whole game. lol. I use a Potion on Quilly and save.

Quilly     Quilava    Jolly    22  64  37  33  37  36  49

Total time so far: 1:02

I grab some more Repels and Super Potions, then enter Ilex Forest. I catch the two Farfetch'd in record time (lol, not really), and get the Cut HM. I have Sentret Cut the tree blocking my way, and rush through without fighting anything. I mostly ignore Route 34, and go into Goldenrod, and immediately beeline for the Bicycle shop, get the Bicycle, get radio card. I proceed to the Department store to grab X items. I get an X Attack for Whitney (the plan was to get 2 X Defends as well, but I didn't have the money for it). I proceed to the gym, easily beat the mandatory fights, and save before Whitney.

Quilly     Quilava    Jolly    23  67  39  34  39  37  51

Total time so far: 1:15

Bloody Miltank. I led with X Attack against Clefairy, using Ember then Flame Wheel to KO it, then spammed Flame Wheel on Miltank until it died. Flame Wheel was a 3HKO, and it hit me with Attract, and healed with Milk Drink a lot. I managed to break the attraction enough to get a Flame Wheel and than a Flame Wheel crit to KO the damned thing. Quilly had 5 HP left from that. It took 2 tries to win. None of the other fights so far needed that (not even Rival 2). I go to Route 35 and avoid most trainers. I go the National Park and grab the Soothe Bell, then participate in the Bug Catching Contest. To grind. I save beforehand.

Quilly     Quilava    Jolly    25  72  42  37  43  40  55

Total time so far: 1:24

Edited by Manix

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still need to draft my 6th and 7th Pokemon - it may make all the difference to my team and my current performance. So it's appreciated if everybody drafts as soon as possible.

Session 2

So now, the time elapsed since beginning it 2:27. I just destroyed the 2nd gym with Zubat and his Wing Attack. I caught a Geodude to use Rock Smash where needed. I'm probably going to have to catch a new Pokemon to Cut around the place. I'll get that one in Ilex Forest. But first, heal up and defeat Kai.

I obtained the Old Rod. I have the chance to catch and raise a Magikarp and get a Gyarados sometime between the 3rd and 4th gym badges... But I'm going to wait. Why waste EXP on a Magikarp? It may be useful from the time he evolves to where Red Gyarados is available, but I'd rather pump the EXP into Zubat and Bayleef then capture the Red Gyarados later on. Oh yeah, Chikorita evolved in the cave along the way.

Defeated Kai. Zubat grew to Lv20, Bayleaf 17.

Got the Farfetch'ds, caught HM Cut slave Oddish, and taught Headbutt to Bayleef.

Made it to Goldenrod. For the sake of extra EXP (Zubat is 2 levels off evolving) I'm going to go to R35 to find and defeat the person who will notify me of Yanma swarms within the area. When I do eventually capture it, I will be teaching it U-Turn, as opposed to waiting until it's level 49. (49!)

Oh lol, Togepi hatched.

In the middle of R35... Falling asleep while playing is never good, so I'm calling it quits at this point for now.

Time: 2:59

Pokemon:

Bayleef Lv20

- Headbutt

- Synthesis

- Razor Leaf

- Reflect

Zubat Lv21

- Wing Attack

- Confuse Ray

- Astonish

- Bite

So, after beating up a bunch of Beedrills, Butterfrees, Scythers and Pinsirs for experience, I move towards Ecruteak City, grabbing a Pidgey for Fly later. Upon reaching Ecruteak, I immediately head west to find a Magnemite. After catching one, I heal it and Quilly using Potions and proceed to the Burned Tower.

I save before fighting Dennis.

Dennis: "You must be here to catch a legendary Pokemon to make you look strong."

Hahaha! What a laugh. Raikou is strong, and will allow me to stomp through the game. And even you, idiot.

Quilly KO's Gastly easily, Magnemite 3HKO's Cronocaw with Thundershock, Quilly KO's Zubat after getting confused, snaps out of confusion the next turn, and OHKO's Magnemite. That was easy. I go down and trigger the legendaries to flee. I leave the Burned Tower, and go to the Pokemon Center. I find Bill, get rid of Magnemite, and return Sentret to my party, heal, and return to Goldenrod. I get Eevee (calling it Ez) from Bill (saving beforehand to get a decent nature) and glue the Soothe Bell to it. I return to the boundary between Route 36 and 37, and save.

Quilly     Quilava    Jolly    30  86  51  44  51  48  66
Ez         Eevee      Mild     5   21  11  9   11  11  11

Total time so far: 2:05

And now for Raikou hunting. I specifically use the boundary for Route 36/37 because it is really easy to manipulate its movement. I go for repeatedly Flame Wheeling it, and I get a burn on the second hit (and the burn will never damage it, winning). I am cautious when it reaches yellow health. I save after every encounter, just to be sure I don't kill it accidentally.

(Also, for reference: Fleeing for them seems to be a negative priority (that why I can hit it before it flees, has always been the case), which is why I'm choosing to get it now. It is going to save me that much time, it's not funny.)

(For this reason was exactly why I drafted it. Midgame becomes trivial, and lategame is still easier)

(And in addition, the running I have to do will make Eevee evolve earlier. Now you see why I choose both of them? I was going to lose the time anyway, so why not get some extra use out of that time?)

And after about 3 hours (real time, resetting) of attempting to capture, I still haven't. 37 attempts using the Fast Ball given to you, however many more to go.

Edited by Manix

I chose Totodile and named it Leviathan. It has a neutral nature, how wonderful.

Did the packaging stuff, took my time. Leviathan kicked Silver(rival)'s ass pretty easily.

I failed in the tower due to a rather abysmal hoothoot( pretty good, but can't OHKO)

I captured a lvl 6 female mareep andtrained it against the gym trainers. It still needed one lvl to get thundershock. Had to grind for it. >.<

It kicked Falkner's pidgey in on hit(but after several turns... darn sand attack) I forgot to switch Mareep for Levi and ended up switching Levi in later on. Levi kicked Pidgeotto... and just syrvived on 1 hp. o.O

Time: 2:07. o.O

EDIT: I realized somethiing. Frameskipping on emulator is not a good idea. >.<

Edited by blues

Part 4: A whole lot of confusion

Okay, so I was playing this while out tonight, so this part might be a bit jumbled, hence the title. I headed to Ecruteak, Valmanway OHKOed everything in my Rival's arsenal while Lucas decimated the gym leader. Headed back to Goldenrod to pick up the Eevee, Mild as well. I named it Volt. Bought two Charge Beam TMs. Then came the Pokelathon. It was a huge pain, but I got a thunderstone for Eevee. Level 5 Jolteon FTW! Anyway, I headed through route 38, training Volt. Notable was him killing a level 20 Mr. Mime at level 10. Fun stuff. I caught a Farfetch'd, because I realized I would need a fly slave. Saved in Olivine City. Oh yeah, Gnome evolved twice and Lucas became an Alakazam.

Time: 3:51

Team:

Rampage (Level 24)

-Bite

-Water Gun

-Ice Fang

-Headbutt

Gnome (Level 25)

-Selfdestruct

-Rock Blast

-Magnitude

-Rock Polish

Lucas (Level 24)

-Psybeam

-Focus Blast

-Disable

-Charge Beam

Valmanway (Level 23)

-Rock Smash

-Agility

-Pursuit

-Wing Attack

Volt (Level 16)

-Sand-Attack

-Thundershock

-Thunder

-Charge Beam

Edited by Overlord Zetta

It took 41 attempts. But I finally got Raikou (henceforth known as Blaster) into that Fast Ball. Lonely nature, I'll live. It had 14/122 HP and a burn. Here's the breakdown on how many times I got a certain number of shakes:

Shakes | Times
0        22
1        11
2        3
3        4

After that, I go to heal, and save.

Quilly     Quilava    Jolly    30  86  51  44  51  48  66
Ez         Eevee      Mild     5   21  11  9   11  11  11
Blaster    Raikou     Lonely   40  122 89  69  99  93  99

Total time so far: 2:19

Ok, now I'm really starting to get odoubts. Is my timing real bad because I'm frameskipping? Gosh, its 4 hours now. o.O

Session 2:

Leviathan helped me rush through Union cave and in Azalea Town, I decided to use Hoothoot again( Mareep was level 14. I forgot to nickname it, so I'll call it Voltina for now. As for hoothoot.... stick with Bridget. Levi was lvl 17)

I tried training hoothoot against the rockets, but it came down to red quickly, so I had to switch it with mareep. That was when I realized it was almost eolution time, lol. xD

Bridget continued to struggle in the gym and I had a tough time against bugsy. His scyther managed to take down Voltina(now a Flaafy) and Bridget easily, although Voltina did get thundershock on it and paralyzed it(good girl)

Leviathan rocked after losing my two pokemon. Man, the dude is a tank, I swear. Levi managed to take Scyther down just when levi's HP hit red,xD. Oh yeah, Bridget dealy with Kakuna while Levi managed to win against Metapod before the big scyther battle.

Oh, and fittingly so, Levi evolves right after that battle. I made a mistake, he was lvl 16 before the battle, not 17. xD

Silve was kinda tough to deal with. His Zubat really effed up Voltina. Bridget did do well against gastly though :D But then Bayleef basically sweeped Bridget and Voltina and it was once again Leviathan who saved my team. I'm so grateful for picking up that Totodile( well, its a Croconaw now)

I spent time getting those painful farfetch'd. >.< Write now I just tried the bug catching contest and got 3rd. I also cot Nidoran M. Man, I wish I could remember to nickname my pokemon. Only one with a name so far is Levi. I'll name this one... Jackie(Chan).

Right, so now I go and grab Surf from the Dance Theater. I proceed to beat the Gym, while swapping Ez in and out for Exp. Blaster barely misses the KO on Gengar with Spark, but cleans it up easily. After that, I immediately head east (not west, towards Olivine), and rush towards Lake of Rage. I nuke the Red Gyarados, and run back to Mr. Pokemon's house. I get the Exp. Share, and stick it on Ez. I return to Mahogany Town to deal with the Rocket Hideout. I blast my way through there, without even really having to think about it. I head out after finishing up there and heal, then save.

Quilly     Quilava    Jolly    34  96  58  49  59  54  75
Ez         Eevee      Mild     22  61  31  29  34  35  33

Total time so far: 3:11

Session 3:

Beat some nubs through R35 and 36. Went back to R35 to capture a Yanma. 1% chance of showing according to Serebii.net. A Lv12 female Yanma showed up about 10 minutes after looking. Caught it and taught it U-Turn.

Now in the middle of gym 3. Using Yanma's speed and U-Turn to my advantage here to feed it EXP. Surprisingly strong for a bug Pokemon. Can't wait for Lv34 when it evolves.

Speaking of evolution, Zubat evolved on R35. This gym is feeling too easy.

I'll post stats etc. after I beat Whitney.

But for now can people drafting keep drafting? I still have a gap in my 6-Pokemon team.

Session 3:

Beat some nubs through R35 and 36. Went back to R35 to capture a Yanma. 1% chance of showing according to Serebii.net. A Lv12 female Yanma showed up about 10 minutes after looking. Caught it and taught it U-Turn.

Now in the middle of gym 3. Using Yanma's speed and U-Turn to my advantage here to feed it EXP. Surprisingly strong for a bug Pokemon. Can't wait for Lv34 when it evolves.

Speaking of evolution, Zubat evolved on R35. This gym is feeling too easy.

I'll post stats etc. after I beat Whitney.

But for now can people drafting keep drafting? I still have a gap in my 6-Pokemon team.

Same here man. We're waiting on Horace. :|

Session 4:

Beat Whitney. I could've taught Rock Smash to my Bayleef, but fuck that. Everyone gained a level when they all took a pop at Miltank and his fucking Milk Drink.

Team at this point:

Bayleef Lv24 (Miracle Seed)
- Headbutt
- Synthesis
- Razor Leaf
- Magical Leaf

Golbat Lv23 (Soothe Bell)
- Wing Attack
- Confuse Ray
- Astonish
- Bite

Yanma Lv15
- U-turn
- Sonicboom
- Quick Attack
- Double Team

Time: 3:56

That's it for now. I have dissertation work to complete.

So... that draft? Still waiting on Horace, I guess. I want to see if I can escape Dodrio.

Also, are we going to play up to beating Red? I want to.

Edited by Overlord Zetta

Sorry about the delay all, Cable company pulled my internet for a few days because I'm poor.

Tauros, because he's cool.

Also blues, some pokemon like magnemite that have been drafted are still in the OP. I didn't check for others.

And I'm so starting this today. I'm going to be much worse at a pokemon draft than a fire emblem draft.

Edited by General Horace

Also, are we going to play up to beating Red? I want to.

I know I am. Or at least i'm going to give it an attempt or two. Anyone's who's been drafting even somewhat competently should be able to cover all bases by around that time, for sure.

Another thing I was thinking would be interesting, although probably not possible, is that since there are 8 of us, we could end everything with a small tournament. But I know not everyone has wi-fi, I would have to dig out my old router and hope it still works.

EDIT: I might start as well, but i'd hate to get too far and wind up drafting a pokemon I could have had a couple of gyms ago.

Edited by The Smithy Gang!

I'm not too far in - only 3 badges. Maybe I can pick up Pokemon that will still be of some use to me.

Who's drafting now after Whoreface lol Horace?

Alright, Time to get this rolling.

Chose Totodile as my starter, named him Dragonite. Ran to Mr. Pokemon's house and back to my Rival, killing several Pidgeys. Rival growl spammed, so it took a while for him to be taken down.

POKEMON      NATURE    LEVEL     HP  ATK  DEF  SPC  SPD  SPD  
Totodile     Modest      8       26   15   15   13   13   13

Time: 0:14

I know I am. Or at least i'm going to give it an attempt or two. Anyone's who's been drafting even somewhat competently should be able to cover all bases by around that time, for sure.

Another thing I was thinking would be interesting, although probably not possible, is that since there are 8 of us, we could end everything with a small tournament. But I know not everyone has wi-fi, I would have to dig out my old router and hope it still works.

Sadly I have no way to get my DS on Wifi at college. Le sigh.

Continuing on...

I catch a Sentret, and name it Jesus. Make a slight detour to route 46 to grab a Spearow for Sprout Tower and Bugsy. I don't know if I'll give this one up when I get to Goldenrod. I name it Ho-oh.

I give Sentret some exp along the way to Violet, and Spearow more or less solos sprout tower. Spearow Leer spammed Pidgeotto until it died, then Totodile scratched it to death.

POKEMON      NATURE    LEVEL     HP  ATK  DEF  SpA  SpD  SPE  
Totodile     Modest     13       36  22   22   18   18   19
Spearow      Jolly      11       30  21   14    9   13   24
Sentret      Brave       6       21  12   10   10   12    7   

Time: 0:52

Ran towards Union cave, wild pokemon were pricks. Got some levels on Sentret, and more importantly, she got quick attack, which compensates for her awful speed. Killed some trainers in Union Cave, then Sentret took on the well until he got poisoned, and Totodile took over. He evolved in the gym, and Spearow was sacrificed to Scyther. Finally went to the pokemon center for the first time since Violet, and easily killed my rival with a combination of Spearow and Crocanaw. I don't think it would be very fun trying to take on Bayleef with only Crocanaw, as it has Reflect, Synthesis, Razor Leaf, and Poisonpowder, which is annoying.

POKEMON      NATURE    LEVEL     HP  ATK  DEF  SpA  SpD  SPE  
Crocanaw     Modest     20       57  37   38   33   32   33
Spearow      Jolly      13       34  24   16   11   14   28
Sentret      Brave      11       30  17   15   15   17    9

Time: 1:28

Edited by General Horace

Right then. I beat up Mahogany Gym quite easily (Quilly couldn't OHKO Piloswine, Raikou dealt with Seel and Dewgong). I go to Olivine, beat up Lighthouse, and then proceed to Cianwood. I beat Eusine for Exp, and Quilly evolves to Typhlosion after that fight. Raikou solos Cianwood Gym, and then I use fly to go to Violet City, heading south to Route 32. Why? To catch a Tentacruel. Funny thing though; I realized I could use Repels to give me a L36 Tentacruel (leading Quilly, who is L36) after I got down there. So I went back and got Super Repels, Revives and Hyper Potions. I catch a Timid Tentacruel (to be now known as Inky), give it Surf, and return to Olivine. I save the Lighthouse, and go to beat Jasmine. Typhlosion OHKO's both Magnemites, and Tentacruel OHKO's Steelix. After that, I fly to Goldenrod, to back to Ilex Forest to get Headbutt on Eevee, go back to Goldenrod, heal, and then save.

Quilly     Typhlosion Jolly    36  116 77  67  81  71  97
Ez         Eevee      Mild     29  78  41  38  44  45  43
Inky       Tentacruel Timid    36  104 54  61  68  100 89

Total time so far: 4:00

Edited by Manix

Part 5: The Blitz

My goal for this part was to get the next 3 gym badges in under an hour. I failed, but just barely. Rampage mopped up the lighthouse without trouble, and I continued to raise Volt on the way to Cianwood. I got to Cianwood, and Valmanway just laughed at the Cianwood Gym. Storm Badge get. Flew back to Jasmine and proceeded to beat the crap out of her. Lucas OHKOed the Magnemites, then whiffed on Steelix and ate a boot to the head iron tail to the face. Rampage finished the job with a few surfs. Flew to Ecruteak, then went east and north to the Lake of Rage. Caught the Red Gyarados for HM bitch purposes, then returned to Mahogany. Blew through the rocket hideout and went to tackle the gym. Volt OHKOed Seel, Rampage took out Piloswine, and Dewgong ate a selfdestruct.

Comments so far: I think the Goldenrod area cost me too much time overall, time I'm not sure if I will be able to recover. Damn Pokelathon... I remember the days when you could buy thunderstones. On the other hand, Jolteon is absolute awesome, and I love having it follow me around. My team is a bit underleveled...hopefully the swarm of rocket grunts will fix that.

Team Opinions: Golem has been a bit disapointing so far, probably do to a terrible moveset. Hopefully earthquake will help a bit. Scyther and Alakazam, on the other hand, have been absolutely boss. Jolteon is great, but I die a little inside every time charge beam misses. Croconaw has been solid, but not amazing. He still gets to evolve again, however.

Time: 5:04

Team:

Rampage (Level 28)

-Bite

-Surf

-Ice Fang

-Headbutt

Gnome (Level 27)

-Selfdestruct

-Rock Blast

-Magnitude

-Rock Polish