• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

Continuing on my no-Blade summon run of Xenoblade 2, i realized that one of the mandatory field skill checks requires Lv.3 Fire. Problem is, Brighid doesn't get Lv.3 Fire until she reaches Lv.5 Affinity and Pyra isn't avaliable during that segment. Which means my only options would've been to grind Brighid up to Lv.5 Affinity or have other Fire Blades. Fortunately, i got lucky. I got two Common Fire Blades from when i was forced to summon for the mandatory Merc Mission but if i didn't get them from that i think i would've bent the rules a little bit. Grinding to Lv.5 Affinity takes a while.

I think the hardest part of the no-Blade summon run is the restriction placed on Blade Combos. Unless you tinker with Poppiswap or brew some Coffee with Milk, you are locked out from doing any Ice and Dark Blade Combos. Granted, that's only two of the eight elements but even the Blade Combos you can do can be a bit tricky to pull off regarding your party composition. And breaking the elemental orbs during Chain Attacks before the end of Ch.4 was rough because of your limited Blade pool.

Anyways, now that i've reached Ch.8, i've got the ideal party composition for this kind of run

• Rex: Pyra/Mythra, Roc, Catalyst
  • Nia: Dromarch
  • Tora: Poppi, Poppi QT
  • Morag: Brighid, Aegeaon
  • Zeke: Pandoria, Wulfric

Unlike normal runs where it doesn't matter what your party composition looks like, this is what you want to have for a no-Blade summon run. Well, it's not like you have much of a choice anyway, since only Wulfric can be bonded to anyone whose name isn't Tora. But ideally, you'd want Wulfric bonded to Zeke.

• Roc can be swapped out with the Common Wind Blade you get as a freebie in Ch.2 I say this because the only way to level up Roc's Affinity is through Merc Missions but that takes a while and that eventually requires more Blade summons, which isn't allowed. Raising Affinity also increases overall power and that Common Wind Blade has a very easy Affinity Chart. But i prefer to keep Roc out of personal preferance.
Edited by Armagon

I've been thinking about K-Sha lately (no, not like that), and I tried to think about ways to improve her character without compromising the story. And you know what? Literally all you need to do is remove the Yandere aspect of her character. You just need to change her motivation from "I want Noire all to myself" to "I was raised as a killer, but I don't want that anymore".

Edited by DragonFlames

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

I've been thinking about K-Sha lately (no, not like that), and I tried to think about ways to improve her character without compromising the story. And you know what? Literally all you need to do is remove the Yandere aspect of her character. You just need to change her motivation from "I want Noire all to myself" to "I was raised as a killer, but I don't want that anymore".

Most yandere characters can be fixed by doing literally just that funnily enough.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of two yandere characters done right or at the very least, not done wrong: Yukako from JoJo Part 4, who actually stops being a yandere once she realizes how terrible being one is and (hot take incoming) Faye from SoV, whose yandere-ness (if you could even call it that, it's not imo but let's say it is for the sake of this argument) seems to stem from war trauma.

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

Continuing on my no-Blade summon run of Xenoblade 2, i realized that one of the mandatory field skill checks requires Lv.3 Fire. Problem is, Brighid doesn't get Lv.3 Fire until she reaches Lv.5 Affinity and Pyra isn't avaliable during that segment. Which means my only options would've been to grind Brighid up to Lv.5 Affinity or have other Fire Blades. Fortunately, i got lucky. I got two Common Fire Blades from when i was forced to summon for the mandatory Merc Mission but if i didn't get them from that i think i would've bent the rules a little bit. Grinding to Lv.5 Affinity takes a while.

I think the hardest part of the no-Blade summon run is the restriction placed on Blade Combos. Unless you tinker with Poppiswap or brew some Coffee with Milk, you are locked out from doing any Ice and Dark Blade Combos. Granted, that's only two of the eight elements but even the Blade Combos you can do can be a bit tricky to pull off regarding your party composition. And breaking the elemental orbs during Chain Attacks before the end of Ch.4 was rough because of your limited Blade pool.

Anyways, now that i've reached Ch.8, i've got the ideal party composition for this kind of run

• Rex: Pyra/Mythra, Roc, Catalyst
  • Nia: Dromarch
  • Tora: Poppi, Poppi QT
  • Morag: Brighid, Aegeaon
  • Zeke: Pandoria, Wulfric

Unlike normal runs where it doesn't matter what your party composition looks like, this is what you want to have for a no-Blade summon run. Well, it's not like you have much of a choice anyway, since only Wulfric can be bonded to anyone whose name isn't Tora. But ideally, you'd want Wulfric bonded to Zeke.

• Roc can be swapped out with the Common Wind Blade you get as a freebie in Ch.2 I say this because the only way to level up Roc's Affinity is through Merc Missions but that takes a while and that eventually requires more Blade summons, which isn't allowed. Raising Affinity also increases overall power and that Common Wind Blade has a very easy Affinity Chart. But i prefer to keep Roc out of personal preferance.

I am curious, is this something that's really fun? Dont get me wrong, I dont mind challenge sometimes, but Xenoblade 2 kinda boasts different setups, flexibility, etc. So taking that away must make the game feel very restrictive, then. The idea sounds fun, I was just wondering how it was in practice.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

I am curious, is this something that's really fun? Dont get me wrong, I dont mind challenge sometimes, but Xenoblade 2 kinda boasts different setups, flexibility, etc. So taking that away must make the game feel very restrictive, then. The idea sounds fun, I was just wondering how it was in practice.

It's defineitly restrictive but the fun comes from working with what you have. Blade Combos and even Full Bursts become more satisfying when you're able to pull them off with your restricted setups.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's defineitly restrictive but the fun comes from working with what you have. Blade Combos and even Full Bursts become more satisfying when you're able to pull them off with your restricted setups.

I guess that's true. I just like the idea of having many different options, I guess. How difficult is it, if at all?

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I guess that's true. I just like the idea of having many different options, I guess. How difficult is it, if at all?

Well i played on Normal. Honest to God, it's overall easier than i thought it'd be, though that could be because knowledge=power. Though the difficulty does ramp up once you reach Tantal.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Well i played on Normal. Honest to God, it's overall easier than i thought it'd be, though that could be because knowledge=power. Though the difficulty does ramp up once you reach Tantal.

Is this new game+, or normal playthrough? Since obviously, ng+ would make it leagues easier. I can see some bosses being pretty rough without flexibility in setups.

12 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Is this new game+, or normal playthrough? Since obviously, ng+ would make it leagues easier. I can see some bosses being pretty rough without flexibility in setups.

It'd be cheating if it was NG+. I know you can level down in NG+ but i'd still have all the Skill and Affinity Chart bonuses.

I'm not enough of a madman to do a no-Blade summon run on Bringer of Chaos difficulty.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Most yandere characters can be fixed by doing literally just that funnily enough.

Haha, ain't that the truth!

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Off the top of my head, I can only think of two yandere characters done right or at the very least, not done wrong: Yukako from JoJo Part 4, who actually stops being a yandere once she realizes how terrible being one is and (hot take incoming) Faye from SoV, whose yandere-ness (if you could even call it that, it's not imo but let's say it is for the sake of this argument) seems to stem from war trauma.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this!
It's pretty clear from her supports and general storytelling that her psyche isn't the most stable at that point and that (her crush on) Alm has become something of a lifeline for her. It's never stated outright, but there are enough hints that point toward this interpretation of her character. And it is for this reason I actually do like Faye, as you may know.

As for Faye being a Yandere or not, I agree with you that she isn't.
She likes Alm and talks about him often. That's pretty much it. All you can fault her for is that she's obsessive with her crush (most likely due to above mentioned psychological trauma induced by almost dying as a child, and being rescued by Alm), but she never threatens the life of someone else who gets close to him and she never says that Alm is hers or that she's the only one he's allowed to be with (heck, she still gets along well with Celica if you recruit Faye as her). Which is quite unlike the common depiction of the Yandere archetype.

Well we only got like 10 seconds of it but i can already tell that even the remastered version isn't enough to save Time to Fight.

Well, it's not that Time to Fight is a bad song but it's just so weak compared to literally every other Xenoblade battle theme. 

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

It's pretty clear from her supports and general storytelling that her psyche isn't the most stable at that point and that (her crush on) Alm has become something of a lifeline for her. It's never stated outright, but there are enough hints that point toward this interpretation of her character. And it is for this reason I actually do like Faye, as you may know.

Same.

I think Faye's biggest problem is her general lack of Support Convos. But that's a problem shared with everyone in the entire game. They went back to more traditional "quantity vs quality" Supports but some characters could've used an extra Support or two. Faye (and Kliff) could've benefited from having Supports with Celica as they are the only two Ram Villagers that can be recruited on Celica's path.

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

she never threatens the life of someone else who gets close to him and she never says that Alm is hers or that she's the only one he's allowed to be with (heck, she still gets along well with Celica if you recruit Faye as her). Which is quite unlike the common depiction of the Yandere archetype.

And the biggest thing is that when she's rejected she actually takes it pretty understandably. Something actual yandere characters almost never do.

Well, it's not that Time to Fight is a bad song but it's just so weak compared to literally every other Xenoblade battle theme. 

Listening to it right now, and while I can't speak for all other battle themes (obviously, since I don't know all of them), the song somewhat lacks the energy and "yeah, let's fight!" hype factor the other battle themes I do know have. Personally, I get more "lategame dungeon" or "lategame area where there's a storm going on" vibes from this.
Still pretty good music, all things considered.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Same.

I think Faye's biggest problem is her general lack of Support Convos. But that's a problem shared with everyone in the entire game. They went back to more traditional "quantity vs quality" Supports but some characters could've used an extra Support or two. Faye (and Kliff) could've benefited from having Supports with Celica as they are the only two Ram Villagers that can be recruited on Celica's path.

Bold part: Absolutely. As is, you pretty much have no reason to gimp Alm's party like that.

As for support convos themselves, I think it's likely they only have so few because this is the first game in the series that's nearly fully voiced and maybe they didn't have the budget to voice more.
I do agree that many characters could have used some more supports. Genny, anyone?

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And the biggest thing is that when she's rejected she actually takes it pretty understandably. Something actual yandere characters almost never do.

Yandere characters typically tend to go all "If I can't have you, no one will!" when they are rejected.

Edited by DragonFlames

3 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Since I completed all of his supports early on and the guy never shown up for base conversations.

Did you try resetting the Base Convo pool? iirc, there can only be like three Base Convos at any given time so Kliff probably got the short end of the stick.

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Listening to it right now, and while I can't speak for all other battle themes (obviously, since I don't know all of them), the song somewhat lacks the energy and "yeah, let's fight!" hype factor the other battle themes I do know have.

Here's the original version of Time to Fight since we only have like 10 seconds of the remastered version

And then during the second half of the game, the regular battle theme switches to Mechanical Rhythm

The difference is night and day. And then you listen to the regular battle themes of the other Xenoblade games and they all nuke Time to Fight from orbit (though admittedly, Xenoblade X's Black Tar will depend entirely on your personal tastes and whether or not it grows on you).

11 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I do agree that many characters could have used some more supports. Genny, anyone?

Genny pretty much forces you to recruit Sonya. Because if you choose Deen over Sonya, then Genny just doesn't get to talk to anyone.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Did you try resetting the Base Convo pool? iirc, there can only be like three Base Convos at any given time so Kliff probably got the short end of the stick.

Funny enough, he rarely appeared in bases after resets. Must be afraid from talking to Alm.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The difference is night and day. And then you listen to the regular battle themes of the other Xenoblade games and they all nuke Time to Fight from orbit.

Yeah, that's about what I figured.
As I said, Time to Fight would have been better suited to be an area theme rather than a battle theme.

(though admittedly, Xenoblade X's Black Tar will depend entirely on your personal tastes and whether or not it grows on you).

*listens to Black Tar*
*instrumentals come on*
Hey, sounds cool! I wonder what he meant by personal tas---
> Rap happens.
NOPE!
> Rap stops.
Well, it's fine I guess.
> Rap comes back on.
NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE!

And that was an accurate account of me listening to the first three minutes of Xenoblade X's battle theme.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Genny pretty much forces you to recruit Sonya. Because if you choose Deen over Sonya, then Genny just doesn't get to talk to anyone.

While that is a shame, of course (they could have at least had her support with Mae, Celica, and/or Boey, come on!), this isn't too hard a decision for me to make, because at least Sonya is an interesting character, whereas Deen is generic edgelord #4,857.

I'd say, I agree on that subject about the lack of supports in SoV.

You know, on that subject even if they would've only been available in Chapter 6, I think they should've added a few cross-army supports. Then again, perhaps that might as well be the reason they didn't. Oh well.

Also as a side-note, the Genny and Sonya support is like one of the most heartwarming things ever. If I ever get the game, I don't mind never recruiting Deen just so I can make those conversations possible in every playthrough I do...

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

It'd be cheating if it was NG+. I know you can level down in NG+ but i'd still have all the Skill and Affinity Chart bonuses.

I'm not enough of a madman to do a no-Blade summon run on Bringer of Chaos difficulty.

I have faith you can do it! First try, at that! 

Serious reply: yeah, it would take the fun out of it.

@DragonFlames

Is Bardias the second 1 vs. 1 fight I must not lose?

If so, I should have done the worst of the game hopefully.

Impossible to beat without brave orders in any difficulty.

Whatever...

I have to say I hope the game's over soon... 38 hours and seriously aside of having some nice backround story and the game does not do much to keep me motivating.

I have spent ten hours in this chapter for little Jaeger and monster fights and gaining some backround information about a few characters yet. Sara's conversation was nice at least whilst I still don't understand Claire's motivation to support Osborne. Idk how much despair she must have had to do this step.

I think I'm the only person who has this opinion, but in my case it was a mistake to play Crossbell first because I had totally different expectations about gameplay, story and soundtrack.

This game feels dull, doesn't even make me really happy. I rather torment through this game what only happened to me in Sky FC yet.

Edited by Falcom Knight

They finally announced the third and final expansion pack for Civilization VI- the New Frontier Pass. For $39.99, you'll be drip fed from May 21, 2020 to March 2021 new content.:

civilization-vi-roadmap.jpg

Maya and Gran Colombia (so Simon Bolivar is leaving the Great Generals to become a leader?) finishes representation of Latin America. Sorry for the Peronists out there who are crying Argentina has lost its chance to exist. Ethiopia doesn't rule out the possibly of another African civ, but I'm not counting on it.

Adding together all the DLCs, you get a total of 50 distinct civilizations to play as, the most of any game in the Civilization franchise. Sure some great would-be/former civs are going to be left out, but you can't satisfy everyone.

Not going to buy the pass right away myself, I'll be waiting for the rest of the content to be revealed, but I'll buy it eventually.

And about that Apocalypse Mode...

upload_2020-5-11_17-10-20-png.555266

18 minutes ago, Falcom Knight said:

@DragonFlames

Is Bardias the second 1 vs. 1 fight I must not lose?

If so, I should have done the worst of the game hopefully.

Impossible to beat without brave orders in any difficulty.

Whatever...

Yeah, that's the one. Congrats on beating it!
Bardias is on my "I hate you list" for this battle, as well as a cutscene that should be happening pretty soon (or maybe it already happened, depending on if you finished the chapter or not).

But yes, with this, the worst this game has to offer in terms of bosses should be behind you. From here on, they're uneventful at best and mind-numbingly boring at worst with one exception that I'd say is kind of good.

I have to say I hope the game's over soon... 38 hours and seriously aside of having some nice backround story and the game does not do much to keep me motivating.

About that...
AIeESwH.jpg
This is my playtime at the beginning of the game's second to last chapter, at what I think is pretty normal speed. I didn't particularly rush things nor did I intentionally slow down. I just tried to do everything I could.
I cut off the rest of the screenshot so nothing gets spoiled for you or anyone else.
I think from there to the actual finale, it took another five hours, at least.

whilst I still don't understand Claire's motivation to support Osborne. Idk how much despair she must have had to do this step.

Hence why I say she sucks, too.
As do the rest of the Ironbloods minus Millium.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And about that Apocalypse Mode...

upload_2020-5-11_17-10-20-png.555266

R.I.P.

Edited by DragonFlames