Differences between 6 and 7?

BBHood217

FE7 is the only FE I ever play (though I did once play a little of FE8, up to completion). That said, I've taken an interest in its chronological sequel especially now that I can play it in a language I can understand.

So I ask: What are the gameplay differences between 6 and 7? I suspect that 6 might be missing a few features that 7 has, what with it coming first and all.

And why is Lilina not a lord?

6 has a completely different storyline, and is a sequel to fe7

Also, Lillina isn't a unit I'd reccomend, but she's fun to use.

Also, use Clarine, and remember.

Dieck>OJ

and

Gonzales>Geese.

and

Use prepromotes.

Weapon Accuracy is much worse in FE6 than in FE7 like... MUCH MUCH worse

Dont be surprised when you see your accuracy on a handaxe varying from 60%-30% hitrates

The cast as a whole is weaker (A lot of bad-meh units)

The main Lord is ass

And maps are big

Weapon Accuracy is much worse in FE6 than in FE7 like... MUCH MUCH worse

Dont be surprised when you see your accuracy on a handaxe varying from 60%-30% hitrates

The cast as a whole is weaker (A lot of bad-meh units)

The main Lord is ass

And maps are big

Ditch Wendy and don't use Sophia.

Or the armours or Wolt

Use The paladins,fliers,valks, Gonzales,Dieck,Rutger,Fir,Lot,the WKs, and Echidna/Barte/Garret, Lugh&ray, Shin,Niime, and the theives

In terms of gameplay mechanics, weapon hit got severely screwed. There's also something about support points (which you'll never hit unless you're grinding for supports), and effective weapon coefficient is x3 instead of x2, as it was in FE7.

Dieck>OJ

and

Gonzales>Geese.

There's nothing stopping anyone from using both Dieck & OJ or Gonzales & Geese at once.

No, not even promotion items. Most units that don't join in the very early game don't hit Lv20 until you can buy promotion items anyway, so unless you're a fan of early-promoting, promotion items are not an issue.

Weapon levels are much harder to raise in FE6 than in FE7 because all weapons only give 1 WExp. This is especially evident with staves, which are almost impossible to get to any reasonable level for anyone not already starting out with them.

Unlike all other FEs, units with multiple weapon types can have S ranks in all of them; however, unlike FE7 and FE8, having an S rank in your weapon type doesn't give you a +5 bonus to Hit and Crt, so it's of dubious value unless you want a unit to carry multiple divine weapons at once for whatever reason.

Rankings in FE6 mostly are a complete joke.

Due to bad weapon Hit and ridiculous Avd boni from gates and thrones, many bosses in FE6 are stupidly difficult to actually hit.

Edited by Shade of Shadow

And why is Lilina not a lord?

Lilina's role within the game's story is actually pretty small and insignificant. You have to remember that FE6 was created before FE7, regardless of chronology. Lilina probably would have been given a more prominent role if FE6 was an actual sequel.

Anyway, there aren't too many differences in terms of gameplay. Off the top of my head, promotion gains are generally much better in FE6. Effective might is tripled instead of doubled (example: an Iron Bow has 18 might against a flier instead of 12). Swordmasters and Berserkers have a 30 crit bonus instead of 15. The weapon triangle is also a bit weaker, giving +/-10 hit instead of 15.

Edited by Gustave

Lilina is basically Shiida of FE6 except not as good at fighting. Not /that/ important, but recruits random people she has no connections to. Gonzo is alright. Shaky hit but massive damage and pretty fast. Garret isn't that great but has his uses.

Mind, she doesn't have to be trained to recruit said people. I usually train her because I hate using Lugh, but on the one run I decided to use Hugh instead, it was pretty easy to protect her via rescue and stuff once she did her recruitment duty.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

just play it like you would play any FE. only thing you should keep in mind is that Roy's promotion comes in one of the last chapters of the game.

many people here are just telling you their favorite units. truth is, when playing normal mode, nearly everyone is usable.

As many stated, weapon accuracy is low, and because of that, SKL is actually a very important stat. Axes have it very horribly. Don't take chances like you would in FE7; the game does not have much "fault tolerance."

There is one thing in particular that I also want to bring up, but it's more fun for you to experience it.

There's also something about support points (which you'll never hit unless you're grinding for supports)

I always grind for supports anyway. Gotta fill up that support library (I know I can just read all the supports here on this site, though).

Dieck>OJ

and

Gonzales>Geese.

and

Use prepromotes.

Ditch Wendy and don't use Sophia.

Or the armours or Wolt

Use The paladins,fliers,valks, Gonzales,Dieck,Rutger,Fir,Lot,the WKs, and Echidna/Barte/Garret, Lugh&ray, Shin,Niime, and the theives

I think Oujay is terrible, Geese is really good but Gonzoles is better

and follow the rest of the creeper's advice

You learn something new everyday.

BTW, is it possible to hack the WEXP for Staff so that it gains the same amount of WEXP that's healed?

Even if you could, that doesn't seem very fun to me. Every staff user would be S ranked in no time. If you really want that, you should just give 'em S-rank to begin with

There's nothing stopping anyone from using both Dieck & OJ or Gonzales & Geese at once.

OH MY GOD RAYMOND I SWEAR I COULD KISS YOU RIGHT NOW

In fact the rest of his post was right as well

Best advice: Just use who you want to~ Don't stress yourself out trying to get some kind of godly dream team, just use the people you ... you know, actually find yourself liking. FE6 NM isn't hard at all, and even scrubs like Bors or Wolt can be used, and eventually actually make positive contributions.

Edited by Furetchen

OH MY GOD RAYMOND I SWEAR I COULD KISS YOU RIGHT NOW

In fact the rest of his post was right as well

Best advice: Just use who you want to~ Don't stress yourself out trying to get some kind of godly dream team, just use the people you ... you know, actually find yourself liking. FE6 NM isn't hard at all, and even scrubs like Bors or Wolt can be used, and eventually actually make positive contributions.

Speaking of which, you guys at the Emblem Brigade need to fix that Normal Mode tier list you have going there. I took a brief look, saw Bors near the top of High and went WTF.

FE7 isn't horrible

Edit: Well, not completely horrible

Edit 2: Seriously don't bother playing FE6 I would say it's the worst game in the series but I haven't played FE1 so for now it's the worst/second worst

Edit 3: Put any time you considered putting into FE6 into an FE game that doesn't suck like 2, 3, arguably 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, or 12

Edit 4: Or do some more playthroughs of FE7

Edited by Hikarussr

Even if you could, that doesn't seem very fun to me. Every staff user would be S ranked in no time. If you really want that, you should just give 'em S-rank to begin with

Well, one can either increase the amount of WEXP needed to get to S rank or make it so that the WEXP gain is equal to half of the HP healed. Eitehr way is better than that 1 WEXP per staff use.

So does this mean that EVERY staff gives you 1 WEXP per use regardless of its rank?

Dieck>OJ

and

Gonzales>Geese.

and

Use prepromotes.

Marcus is a tarp.

The difference is that FE6 is harder than FE7, thiefs can't promote, you'll need thieves along in the game more than in FE7 and that's really all.