Rate the Unit, Day 16: Kent

Kngt_Of_Titania

He's kind of like Sain, but crappier in practice.

Sain and Kent both rank higher than Lowen in my books because of LHM alone, but Kent's stat distribution makes him worse in the main story (most HHM playthroughs) than his green counterpart (and they're both about equal in LHM). I went in detail about Lowen and I will go in detail about how awesome Sain is, but unfortunately Kent will not get the same treatment. I decided to make the justification for my ranking much like Kent's personality: serious, bland, uninteresting, lacking in depth, and more than a tad bit irritating.

Ranking: 7.5/10

EDIT: Nobody's offered to make me a Wil avatar yet. sad.gif

Current ranks (in order):

Bartre-2.8

Rebecca-3.13 (...the irony)

Dorcas-4.1

Eliwood-5.34

Guy-5.63

Erk-6.05

Lyn-6.12

Matthew-6.3

Serra-6.3

Oswin-6.7

Lowen-6.75

Hector-8.3

Priscilla-8.3

Florina-8.43

Marcus-9.29

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

I find it funny that you talk about Kent as being bland and uninteresting, when I can say the same of Lowen, TC. That aside...

8/10. I'll admit I prefer Sain, but Kent's awesome as well.

Edited by Metal King Slime

8. High skill and dependant. What frustrates me about Sain is that he misses a lot more than Kent. I try to use them equally, but I usually drop Sain because he is always missing, whereas at least Kent can actually get some hits. He's not the first unit I'd use a Knight Crest on but he'd be soon after.

I'd rather hit and do less damage than rarely hit with high hits.

Gets to doubling speed faster.

Has the option of being early crested.

Has Anima aff.

Has a speed buffer for better weapons

Also, support Fiora for an ending.

Cons

Lowish strength, and average-slightly above average growths.

Means he'll need to wait until level 20

Right. Due to HHM enemies having ass for speed, Kent's skill and speed lead isn't all that important as Sain's strength. Still, he's solid, he kills things, and he's on a horse. So he's pretty good. Like Sain, he has the opportunity to practically solo Lyn mode if the player chooses to, and thus become a mini-Marcus (sans amazing axe rank and sex appeal) come C16, which is always a bonus. There's no harm in having a SainKent support going either if you choose to use them both, since it's of a decent speed and they share movement. 8.4/10.

For me, Kent has no redeeming features. Decent Skl and Spd growths make him reliable, alongside an ok 40% Str growth.

I'd give him a 7 if LHM wasn't counted, but it is so meh.

Raven's rating: 83%

8/10

I prefer Sain due to his superior strength. Kent's superior speed is usually unnecesary as they both double everything anyway and Sain does it with a lot more str than him.

Kent's better looking than Sain, and I like him more.

There's some other bullshit about horses and WTC and shit, but it boils down to I like him more. Plus he's around for almost ever thanks to LHM.

Incidentally, Kent's "superior speed" is 1 point higher base and 5% more growth (read: practically nonexistent).

9/10

EDIT: also sain's going to be a 9 too for being better but I like him less so it averages

Edited by Integrity

Whilst not quite packing as much power as Sain, he still performs respectably. He has LHM, as well as a reasonable join time and decent stats across the board. However, his speed lead is tiny and his luck is a little suspect. In a choice between Sain and Kent, it's usually Sain but I try to use them both if I can.

7.5/10

I prefer Sain, but Kent is awesome as well and the two make a great duo. Really, cavaliers and paladins are broken as hell, so averageish stats are all you need to be a great unit, and Kent has just that. Being able to train in LHM helps a lot, and there's also the "feed him lots of kills and promote him in LHM" trick if you want to do that.

9/10

Give me Sain any day. That said, Kent is almost as good, just lacking in the offensive department compared to Sain, the defensive to Lowen and the badass to Marcus. That said, there's nothing wrong with being a jack of all trades if you're decent at all and better than most, so he's a nine.

Also, if you're not going for Second Marcus, Sain/Kent have one of the few viable supports. Anima/Wind gives full attack, which is nice. ...and Crit Evade, I guess.

Edited by Furetchen

I prefer Kent because of the skill over strength and the fact that he can support lyn. Seriously how come Sain doesn't support LYN...he'd hit on a twelve year old (looking at you Florina). Anyway also he's not as annoying a Sain. Good Availability, WTC, stats to make this game his bitch. 9/10 (The luck and defense are greatly lacking however)

He's alright... With average and okay growths, he's fine and with Lyn Hard Mode around; you get the chance to turn him into a second Marcus; being a faster version; that is.

Supports... Supports; the likely thing he's touching is Fiora due to MOV but is kinda iffy since she's likely ferrying stuff like Flo-Flo does; Lyn's okay, but unfortunately the lady has to fall behind. Anything else? A fast Sain Support! With that at A-rank support; he gets full ATK (This is way needed!) and HIT (although redundant due to high skill).

Now promotion... He gets access to Axes; which he needs to boost his offenses and sounds kinda nice with that high skill of his. And also due to my biases on giving every GBA Christmas Knight Axes upon promotion.

My verdict?

*drumrolls*

9/10

*gets shot*

Bias says 3750927390572306790237602302x10^a billion out of ten. But I highly doubt that would be counted.

Anyway, the only really issue with Kent is that he won't join as awesome as LHMPromoted!Sain (well, most of the time. I kind of hate Sain but he's still the better cav) but he'll likely get more levels under his belt before promotion. WTC is awesome, and he's kind of vital in the chapter where he's recruited. His supports aren't hideous. And just because he doesn't have as high strength as Sain doesn't make it bad.

9.5/10

Kent is one of the two Christmas knights that you would get in any FE game, and he's the more-or-less balanced one.

For the cavalier who is supposed to be fast, Kent sure fails to impress until he's sufficiently leveled. Despite this, he's good at doubling. At 9/0 going into Chapter 16, Kent has 11 spd. This is enough to double most everything on the map except mercs(9-11AS), myrms(11-13AS), and the thief(12AS), which is about the same as 6/0 Florina. Not bad. You would think this gives him an advantage over Sain, but it honestly doesn't. 9/0 Kent only has 16 atk with an iron lance/steel sword which only 2HKO's things like pegs and myrms. He 3HKO's the higher end mercs and only 4HKO's the cavs(Sain 2HKO's with iron unless they have 28HP/8def.). Oh, and Kent's str growth is only 2/3 that of Sain's(40 vs 60), so it takes him far longer to reach 2HKO status.

Durability wise, he's decent. 27HP/7def is getting 4HKO'd by most things, with only a few enemies in the midgame maps reaching the 16 atk req'd for a 3HKO. And this pretty much continues for most of the game(85HP/25def growths). 15/1 Kent is 3HKO'd on average with WTA by steel lance wyverns, for example.

I'd also like to address that he's mounted, which gives him a little more flexibility in any given map, and also lets him take part in rescue chains. Pretty nice.

Overall, his rating: