I fully support SOPA.

Geriba

If you're going to let your ignorance cloud your opinion, maybe you should be the one who stops ;B

It's like I'm back in high school debate all over again. Let me help you out a bit: you're conflating the effectiveness of SOPA with the aims of SOPA. The aims are to crack down on piracy in order to protect the rights of intellectual proprietors. Be clear about where your problem specifically lies.

Nice ad hominem, by the way. You know you're on the winning side of an argument when all you can produce are empty insults and embedded videos. :newyears:

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like I'm back in high school debate all over again. Let me help you out a bit: you're conflating the effectiveness of SOPA with the aims of SOPA. The aims are to crack down on piracy in order to protect the rights of intellectual proprietors. Be clear about where your problem specifically lies.

Nice ad hominem, by the way. You know you're on the winning side of an argument when all you can produce are empty insults and embedded videos. :newyears:

No, the aim of SOPA is to give large businesses control over the internet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc

He makes let's plays. If anything like SOPA were to go through, it would make any and all video game videos illegal, and in addition to that, it would give the government the right to take down the entire hosting site because of what that one user put up.

And ha ha ha I still can't help but laugh when I hear of youtube partners who make lps

Oh, ho, and I'd get 5-10 years of jail time for having videos that contain games. Isn't that nice ;D

Btw that's 1-6 more years than Conrad Murray was sent to jail for.

and yet you fully support sopa that would shutdown his source of income. how is this going to work again? oh right IT'S NOT.

According to the previous poster, he makes LPs. Which, to be clear, involves taking intellectual property, milking it far beyond the already generous "fair use" clauses currently in the books (which, by the way, are too generous to begin with, and should be seriously looked over), and then trying to make a quick buck off it.

Sorry, but I have no problem with limiting the "career" of someone who posts inane and unfunny commentary over another's work without permission.

Maybe you should go back to criticizing other people's work on the Creative Board before making a bigger fool of yourself, yeah?

inane and unfunny commentary

The hypocrisy in this topic is so loud.

And a quick buck?

There are tonnes of Let's Players who support themselves entirely with their videos. So I'm sorry if you disagree, but I enjoy playing video games for a living ;B

No, the aim of SOPA is to give large businesses control over the internet.

TinFoilHatArea.jpg

The hypocrisy in this topic is so loud.

Not really, bud. Sorry if calling out your "profession" for what it is hurts your feelings.

And a quick buck?

There are tonnes of Let's Players who support themselves entirely with their videos. So I'm sorry if you disagree, but I enjoy playing video games for a living ;B

No one cares if you enjoy stealing for a living. You know, jail time might not be so out of line for someone as unrepentant as yourself. Not 5 years, of course; how about 6 months?

Edited by God Brady

the bills are complete bullshit but I have to wonder if the internet won't just evolve around them like they're not even there

wow my post is like 5% of the actual area that it takes up on my screen and prabably yours too as such

that is like way cool; I'm cool

Edited by Obviam

According to the previous poster, he makes LPs. Which, to be clear, involves taking intellectual property, milking it far beyond the already generous "fair use" clauses currently in the books (which, by the way, are too generous to begin with, and should be seriously looked over), and then trying to make a quick buck off it.

vDQta.jpg

Sorry, but I have no problem with limiting the "career" of someone who posts inane and unfunny commentary over another's work without permission.

8s9ig.jpg

Actually, I'm pretty sure that he's not trying to make money off it. He's making money off his own commentary... which is something quite different. It would be like saying that football commentators are "stealing" from the football players they comment on, or that reviewers are "stealing" from the movies or games they review.

Not really, bud. Sorry if calling out your "profession" for what it is hurts your feelings.

No one cares if you enjoy stealing for a living. You know, jail time might not be so out of line for someone as unrepentant as yourself. Not 5 years, of course; how about 6 months?

For what? Enjoying myself and doing nothing that hurts the companies that the games represent? Fuck, man, LPs have been giving games tonnes of marketing. Nintendo has even stated that they enjoy the publicity, in multiple interviews, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

And does LPing hurt anyone?

Well it looks like it hurts your butt :B

come at me bro

Edited by seph1212

Intellectual property rights need to be protected, and all those fighting against it are just a bunch of anti-capitalistic, free-riding pirates. Since we can't hang 'em from the rafters like we did in the old days, SOPA is an acceptable Plan B.

Do you agree, Serenes? Serious responses only please.

The shaky remnants of my faith in humanity reside in your being a troll.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that he's not trying to make money off it. He's making money off his own commentary... which is something quite different. It would be like saying that football commentators are "stealing" from the football players they comment on, or that reviewers are "stealing" from the movies or games they review.

Thanks for showing everyone how ignorant you are about property rights and the law. Allow me to clarify:

In the NFL, independent commentary is fine; that's why you have dozens and dozens of independent football podcasts every week. But if those were attached to NFL-owned footage (i.e. any game ever aired ever)? Heavy fines, disbanding of the podcast, possible jail time. Professional announcers have very specific contracts for just this reason. It works that way in sports; it should be applied equally to gaming.

For what? Enjoying myself and doing nothing that hurts the companies that the games represent? Fuck, man, LPs have been giving games tonnes of marketing

Again, if an individual company allows people to freely use their intellectual property publicly, then there's no problem. But companies often like to save those opportunities for themselves, in case they want to cash in with walkthroughs of their own. Rovio, for example, has a comprehensive Angry Birds walkthrough available on YouTube, which generate tons of hits every day. If every Joe Schmoe were allowed to "harmlessly" post their own, then traffic would decrease, taking away profits.

Bottom line, no one cares if you think it's unfair. Get a new job, leech.

Edited by God Brady

In the NFL, independent commentary is fine; that's why you have dozens and dozens of independent football podcasts every week. But if those were attached to NFL-owned footage (i.e. any game ever aired ever)? Heavy fines, disbanding of the podcast, possible jail time. Professional announcers have very specific contracts for just this reason. It works that way in sports; it should be applied equally to gaming.

That's sorta why unpartnered LPers don't make money, while partnered ones sign contracts and get paid money for them :B

You just said what it exactly is.

this topic has inspired a name change.

this was posted by someone who changed their name to something about killing sopa.

who lives in texas.

and is not me.

If I flew over a field of 20 brown cows and was told there was a 21st somewhere, I would assume it's probably brown.

If I flew over a field of angry Americans...

That means seph would be employed by Nintendo. . .which would be really cool.

No, that's not how reality works.

I really, really hope this is a joke. It's like saying that if I steal a loaf of bread and sell it piecemeal to beggars, I'm "employed" by Wonder.

That's sorta why unpartnered LPers don't make money, while partnered ones sign contracts and get paid money for them :B

You just said what it exactly is.

Can I just take this time to say how obnoxious your YT profile skin is :P:?

Edited by Tangerine

Again, if an individual company allows people to freely use their intellectual property publicly, then there's no problem. But companies often like to save those opportunities for themselves, in case they want to cash in with walkthroughs of their own. Rovio, for example, has a comprehensive Angry Birds walkthrough available on YouTube, which generate tons of hits every day. If every Joe Schmoe were allowed to "harmlessly" post their own, then traffic would decrease, taking away profits.

Bottom line, no one cares if you think it's unfair. Get a new job, leech.

How would his walkthrough get less hits? Unless he's a horribly unfunny and boring guy, I doubt people would watch someone else. Or they might watch both :B

Why? My job right now is perfectly legal and fine~

Bottom line, no one cares if you think it's unfair

you're right, we don't care if people with way more money think [people who deserve it more than them] getting some is unfair.

we really don't

Edited by Obviam