Thinking of trying FE5.

CrashGordon94

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm willing to warpskip some certain chapters if they're painful.

Also, more questions! What should I use the Thief Staff on? What should I do to Lifis and Pahn? Who should I give what Skill Manuals to?

Thief Staff: Shit you deem valuable and difficult to obtain otherwise. If you're up for it, you can rig the RNG around to make Tina purposely miss so her Thief Staff doesn't lose some uses and she'll still get that juicy 10 WEXP per attempt.

Lifis and Pahn: I usually bench Lifis and use Pahn as soon as I get him but this is because Lifis never gets the BLD to beat Pahn for me. Basically, try them out as you like, look for opportunities to steal some nice stuff like the Wind tomes found in Chapter 11x which even LARA can steal because they're just that light (and rare).

As for the Skill Manuals: I suggest you work that out yourself. Make some skill combinations you think are fun since you're robbing yourself of a first-time experience getting so much insight as it is.

5: If he goes A route, at this point he has Safy (likely A) and Sleuf (A base). Add to that Tina (maybe, she does start with a shit-kickin' E), Sara (B), Salem ©, *maybe* Linoan ©? He's not on GOTTA GO FAST mode, which means time to raise stick ranks.

Linoan should be at least B Rank on staves on Ch. 22 even on a speed run, given she can only promote on Ch. 21 and that adds +1 to her Staff rank.

Even without Cyas there are still 9 Leadership stars to ensure the accuracy of Reinhardts army and Reinhardt himself with maxed magic, Daimthunder and Vantage. And the bridge removed behind you and the area in front of you protected by the series finest ballistas cripple your movement horribly as Reinhardts Thoron-equipped Mage Knights approach you. It's insane.

And this is why I mentioned the Rescue staff.

Linoan should be at least B Rank on staves on Ch. 22 even on a speed run, given she can only promote on Ch. 21 and that adds +1 to her Staff rank.

Everyone after Sleuf I only listed their base rank, not projected.

I've already decided on A route, fine on Thief Staff and Pahn, confused about Lifis (there seems to be disagreement on what to do with him), now for Manuals...

As for the Skill Manuals: I suggest you work that out yourself. Make some skill combinations you think are fun since you're robbing yourself of a first-time experience getting so much insight as it is.

This will be be the third or fourth time I've said this: NO!

Advice won't be "robbing" me of anything, this "try it yourself!" bullshit is the thing that will "rob" me of a good experience and I asked for advice because I want advice. The rest of this post was fine but I just have an issue with that part.

Now, with that out of the way who should I give what Skill Manuals to? I've heard about Vantage on Olwen and Elite on Karin but that's about it. If the Vantage/Wrath combo worked like normal I would put Wrath on Halvan and Vantage on Othin but apparently they cripple or void each other when on the same unit (I don't know the details) so that's out.

Everything on Machua because I love Machua. Except Wrath. Because Wrath/Ambush doesn't mix well in this game.

And then kill Veld with her too.

Because female Hero why the hell not

Edited by Luminescent Blade

I like ONE of Wrath or Ambush on Olwen, though if you don't want her Wrath fits well on anybody with good enemy phase exposure. I've got some leverage out of it on Asvel and Felgus. Ambush fits REALLY well with someone who has low durability but hits like a truck.

Elite goes on anyone you like, I had it on Calion just because I can.

Honestly, if you're not going for turns, it doesn't really matter. Machua was the recipient of ALL MY favoritism (okay Mareeta too, Machua can only have so many scrolls on her at a time and Elite was useless on her anyway since she promoted damn quickly) on my first run, and she was MVP, tanked everything, killed everything, and never died. It's when you go into efficiency/ranked/etc when "effectiveness" really matters. Just pile it all on your favorite character. Seriously.

Most of FE5's difficulty stems from all the unexpected shit the game throws at you. There's only very few actually difficult chapters if you're not going through it blind.

Also I wouldn't even bother recruiting Xavier the first time around unless you're a perfectionist. It's too much effort for nothing really valueable.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Advice won't be "robbing" me of anything, this "try it yourself!" bullshit is the thing that will "rob" me of a good experience and I asked for advice because I want advice. The rest of this post was fine but I just have an issue with that part.

Would you like a turn-by-turn walkthrough while we're at it?

Honestly, there isn't much to say about skill scrolls because it's really just a matter of preference. You won't get hugely different results with them on one character as opposed to another.

Edited by Othin

I would not recommend putting charge on anyone. Charge activates even if the character is attacked from long range and has no means of countering. For example, if a character with charge is attacked by a ballista or long range magic and charge activates, the ballista or long range magic will attack a second time. It basically causes characters to get doubled by things that have no place doubling anyone. Whatever benefits you might reap from charge aren't worth it in my opinion.

And don't put ambush on Othin or any other character with wrath. That's a total waste of wrath.

Edited by Charlie

Charge also activates if you attack something that has no means of countering. It can be great; you just have to be careful.

It can really ruin characters that aren't able to use it well, though, like Xavier.

Try Marty+Brave Axe.

Also.

10/1Marty is quite good.

He becomes another Dagda.

Without Charge.

A skill ring is also a nice investment.

Oh.

And Machua, don't ever forget Machua.

She can use axes!

I put Elite on Eda myself, it really helped her as a latecomer to catch up to par, but that involves holding onto it for way longer after you get it than is probably for the best.

I put Wrath on Karin, if I remember right. It allows her to kick ass and take names after dismount dropping into a pile of enemies, so she can work on her sword rank.

I think I saw Dio give Charge to Dagda, for better luck with capturing, in case he missed a mid% hit rate, which was way better than me giving charge to Fergus, who always kills things before it activates.

Ambush went on Olwen for me.

I don't remember who I gave, Luna/Continue, etc. to.

Try Marty+Brave Axe.

Also.

10/1Marty is quite good.

He becomes another Dagda.

Without Charge.

A skill ring is also a nice investment.

Oh.

And Machua, don't ever forget Machua.

She can use axes!

Big whoop, she can use an Iron Axe after she promotes. Unless you work on her axe rank really really hard, it's unlikely to be of any value at all. Even if her axe rank actually goes anywhere, the game already gives you numerous good axe users like Dagda, Othin, Halvan, and Brighton, who are all far better than Machua.

Seriously, the way people talk about axe users, you'd think this was an FE9 topic.

I really hope the RNG fucks all the stats over making you have to toss your careful planning out the window and use actual strategy. That'd make my day. You shouldn't be playing this game, you should go watch an LP.

I think I saw Dio give Charge to Dagda, for better luck with capturing, in case he missed a mid% hit rate, which was way better than me giving charge to Fergus, who always kills things before it activates.

Dagda's default skillset includes Charge...

It can really ruin characters that aren't able to use it well, though, like Xavier.

Huh? Xavier is one of the better users of Charge - high HP, high def, and little means by which to double enemies naturally. You just need to be careful not to let him be targeted by long range tomes.