Thinking of trying FE5.

CrashGordon94

Just like the FE6 topic I just made, I've read about this game for a while so I'm interested in trying it. I was very intimidated by it at first given the game's reputation for being very hard and unforgiving but I was inspired by seeing Sharpoon and Dandroid go through the game and its reputation seems to have died off in recent years.

I don't know which Mode I want to do it in, I'm open for suggestions on that.

I plan to take the A route but Shanam's Bargain Skill and the second Pugi nearly tempted me otherwise.

I want to avoid using Evayle while she's around and I want to try and avoid doing very much with Dagda.

Characters I'm considering/want to use:

Fin

Othin

Halvan

Tanya

Safy

Machua

Brighton

Lara

Fergus

Karin

Asvel

Nanna

Shiva

Carrion

Olwen

Mareeta

Salem (optimally I'd like to use him for combat too)

Pahn

Homer

Sara

Sety

Galzus

Characters I'm on the fence about:

Marty (He sounds like a very controversial figure...)

Lifis (Stealing sounds rockin' but I don't want to expend large effort to get him working)

Dalshin

Tina

Dean

Eda

Sleuf

Xavier (Sounds great but also sounds terrible to recruit...)

Characters I DON'T want to use:

Evayle/Dagda (as mentioned above)

Ronan

Amalda (But I want to recruit her for her equipment)

Cyas

I'm VERY open to suggestions other than these (I seem to have covered most of the cast! :sweatdrop:) because I'm still intimidated by this game...

Side note 1: What's this about transferring things to Manster? What should I bring?

Side note 2: Does anyone drop any items ever? The Item Locations bit on the main site lists everything on an enemy because of the Capture system so I'm confuzzled. :wacko:

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't have issues with the characters you listed. Marty is easy enough to use, Rifis shouldn't take effort, and Dean is great, but be ready for Seluf to not be able to fight ever. And yeah, Xavier will be a pain to recruit. Salem can work in combat as long as you don't try to make him specifically a dark magic user, since the only dark magic he's likely to use is rare and heavy. He can use elemental magic just fine, though.

For Manster, you need to have Leaf and Rifis bring any items with them at the end of Ch3 that you'll want for the next few chapters. Make sure you bring the Flame Sword, Light Sword, Lockpick, Armorslayer, and Hero Axe. (You get the Armorslayer in one of the chests in Ch3; the Hero Axe along with the first Pugi are items Othin and Halvan can get from houses in the first chapter. Don't miss them.) Other items aren't as pressing, but bring what you want; just make sure not to bring more than 12 items total. And empty Eyvel's inventory.

Enemies never drop items in FE5, but it's usually not too difficult to capture enemies with items you want. You can have your axe users practice against enemies in the first few chapters; you won't get anything too great, but it'll help you get the feel of it for later.

I recommend checking the Gaiden requirements and going for them, also. 2x and 4x in particular let you get important characters and items.

All in all, though, don't worry about details too much. As you observed, it's not as scary as its reputation has made it seem.

Edited by Othin

Don't shirk from using Dagda. He's amazing as a capture-bot and extra stuff is handy all the time.

Amalda is fucking amazing there is absolutely no reason not to use her. Seriously.

The B route (with shanam/miranda) is an absolute motherfucker by the accounts I've heard compared to the A route. Stay away. Plus, the A route get you Sleuf (sexy) and Misha (sexier) so why not?

but a serious tl;dr to mine and othin's posts: if I told Harpoon to just chill the fuck out and roll with it as it goes, I'll right well tell you the same.

chill the fuck out and just roll with it as it goes mang

You shouldn't have issues with the characters you listed. Marty is easy enough to use, Rifis shouldn't take effort, and Dean is great, but be ready for Seluf to not be able to fight ever. And yeah, Xavier will be a pain to recruit. Salem can work in combat as long as you don't try to make him specifically a dark magic user, since the only dark magic he's likely to use is rare and heavy. He can use elemental magic just fine, though.

That's all fine by me, gonan wait for more advice about Marty (no offence, he's just been the subject of a lot of controversy), glad to hear about Lifis, suspected that about Dean, fine with Sleuf not fighting, was actually thinking about Dark for Salem so he could eventually fling Fenrirs at people but recognised the Wieght thing and was willing to put Anima on him anyway.

For Manster, you need to have Leaf and Rifis bring any items with them at the end of Ch3 that you'll want for the next few chapters. Make sure you bring the Flame Sword, Light Sword, Lockpick, Armorslayer, and Hero Axe. (You get the Armorslayer in one of the chests in Ch3; the Hero Axe along with the first Pugi are items Othin and Halvan can get from houses in the first chapter. Don't miss them.) Other items aren't as pressing, but bring what you want; just make sure not to bring more than 12 items total. And empty Eyvel's inventory.

All sounds cool to me.

Enemies never drop items in FE5, but it's usually not too difficult to capture enemies with items you want. You can have your axe users practice against enemies in the first few chapters; you won't get anything too great, but it'll help you get the feel of it for later.

Damn! Well, okay then... I knew I was going to have to Capture anyway.

I recommend checking the Gaiden requirements and going for them, also. 2x and 4x in particular let you get important characters and items.

I certainly will do, not sure about 24x though, can I have Sara and Kia without going to it?

Don't shirk from using Dagda. He's amazing as a capture-bot and extra stuff is handy all the time.

He's also a Jeigan... More Capturing is tempting though, can't other people do that too?

Amalda is fucking amazing there is absolutely no reason not to use her. Seriously.

She's the Jugdral equivilant of a Valkyrie and she isn't Mist or Nanna, that's actually a very big reason for me. :/:

The B route (with shanam/miranda) is an absolute motherfucker by the accounts I've heard compared to the A route. Stay away. Plus, the A route get you Sleuf (sexy) and Misha (sexier) so why not?

That's what I thought, thank you.

but a serious tl;dr to mine and othin's posts: if I told Harpoon to just chill the fuck out and roll with it as it goes, I'll right well tell you the same.

chill the fuck out and just roll with it as it goes mang

No thank you, I actually really don't like it when people say this, I'm not equipped to chill out or roll with it, really...

I'm not going to do what I did for FE6, since you need a lot of guys because of fatigue/minimum party sizes.

Instead, use every dude unless he sucks. And use Olwen. She is the bestest ever.

He's also a Jeigan... More Capturing is tempting though, can't other people do that too?

She's the Jugdral equivilant of a Valkyrie and she isn't Mist or Nanna, that's actually a very big reason for me. :/:

1: Dagda and Fin are your prime capturers early. Why use one when you have two? Free shit is cool.

2: This is mostly why I hate you, you know. You're just randomly throwing out one of my favorite units without even giving her consideration because of some stupid bias.

Instead, use every dude unless he sucks. And use Olwen. She is the bestest ever.

Soudns fair.

1: Dagda and Fin are your prime capturers early. Why use one when you have two? Free shit is cool.

2: This is mostly why I hate you, you know. You're just randomly throwing out one of my favorite units without even giving her consideration because of some stupid bias.

1) Isn't Marty supposed to be good at Capture too? And my concern is because Dagda is a Jeigan. You do have a point though.

2) Didn't you once say to me to use people I like? Doesn't that go both ways?

1) Isn't Marty supposed to be good at Capture too? And my concern is because Dagda is a Jeigan. You do have a point though.

2) Didn't you once say to me to use people I like? Doesn't that go both ways?

Capturing halves (?) your Skill. Marty doesn't have overmuch Skill to start. Dagda is leagues more reliable.

EDIT: Incidentally, "jeigan" means even less in this game compared to others. Stat caps are a blanket 20, with scrolls most units can hit that fairly easily on important stats.

I did tell you to use units you like, I distinctly remember. I also said to at least use the fuckers and formulate an opinion as to why they suck before you decide not to use them ever again.

Edited by Integrity

Capturing halves (?) your Skill. Marty doesn't have overmuch Skill to start. Dagda is leagues more reliable.

Fair enough then.

EDIT: Incidentally, "jeigan" means even less in this game compared to others. Stat caps are a blanket 20, with scrolls most units can hit that fairly easily on important stats.

I heard about the stat caps and scrolls, I still am kinda iffy just because I can't really get past the Jeigan thing.

I did tell you to use units you like, I distinctly remember. I also said to at least use the fuckers and formulate an opinion as to why they suck before you decide not to use them ever again.

But I wouldn't enjoy using someone I hate either.

Crash, you've really got to get over this Jeigan hate you've got going on. Some of them are great characters, and all of them are useful units that can be used to help you do better at the games, while not wrecking the games. Yes, I know that certain ones like Seth and Titania (who are actually oifayes, but whatever) can make the games too easy, but in a game like FE5, having and using Dagda is a life saver. He can capture pretty much everything with ease, and can even use bows for those enemies he has trouble hitting. He really is a unit worth using.

But I wouldn't enjoy using someone I hate either.

But how do you know you hate them until you've tried using them?

Edited by seph1212

This is essentially what I've been arguing all along. All you're doing, Crash, is letting prejudices get in your way and utterly incapacitate your ability to reason.

I'll never say you MUST LIKE Amalda, but for the love of God don't just say "i know i dont like her" with no knowledge of her personality (such as it is) or her performance.

It's also very selective. Why does he like Nanna again when she conforms much more to the archetype? She even has the feather for fuck's sake.

The B route is a pain, the forest chapter's annoying and Shanam and Miranda aren't quite as nice as Eyrios and Sleuf. However, you do net a second pugi axe, the Luna scroll (I think) and you face Cyas one time fewer. Curse you, Cyas!

Dagda's bases are enough to carry him throughout the game. Enemy stats are never real high, and Dagda can use just about every Axe from the start.

The B route is a pain, the forest chapter's annoying and Shanam and Miranda aren't quite as nice as Eyrios and Sleuf. However, you do net a second pugi axe, the Luna scroll (I think) and you face Cyas one time fewer. Curse you, Cyas!

I often take the B route because I find A tons more annoying to deal with :/

If you've played the GBA games, you shouldn't have any trouble accommodating to FE5's system. The difficulty is blown out of proportion, always has been. If you're really pansy about it, you can go for Elite Mode.

Crash, you've really got to get over this Jeigan hate you've got going on. Some of them are great characters, and all of them are useful units that can be used to help you do better at the games, while not wrecking the games. Yes, I know that certain ones like Seth and Titania (who are actually oifayes, but whatever) can make the games too easy, but in a game like FE5, having and using Dagda is a life saver. He can capture pretty much everything with ease, and can even use bows for those enemies he has trouble hitting. He really is a unit worth using.

I really don't know what to say here. :/

I don't like it when people ask this, I know because of what I've heard.

And Amalda is a Lawrence. Don't use her beyond pony filler.

I figured as much.

Sounds very fair. I think I can go without Pugi 2 and Luna... I think.

Dagda's bases are enough to carry him throughout the game. Enemy stats are never real high, and Dagda can use just about every Axe from the start.

...Okay. :/

I often take the B route because I find A tons more annoying to deal with :/

Fair enough, I think I'll still take the A route, most other people seem to be saying it's better. I must say that I do appreciate this though.

If you've played the GBA games, you shouldn't have any trouble accommodating to FE5's system. The difficulty is blown out of proportion, always has been. If you're really pansy about it, you can go for Elite Mode.

Or don't play Elite mode and just scrollspam like a motherfucker.

FE5 isn't all that hard when not played blind.

Actually, this has got me wondering which mode I should go for.

Use Amalda for her leadership star. +3 hit/avo for every one of your units on the map is never bad, especially when paired with leadership stars from Fin and Leaf (2) and Glade and Sety. +18 hit/avo is quite helpful. You don't even have to do anything with them other than keep them alive.

Same rules of thumb about flexibility and fun as I told you previously.

I plan to take the A route but Shanam's Bargain Skill and the second Pugi nearly tempted me otherwise.

Everyone claims the forest map to be more of a pain than it actually is. Just use a map to be aware of the teleporter tiles, just like you would for finding buried treasure on desert maps, and it's really no big issue at all. It's made even easier if you're not afraid to make ample use of Warp/Rewarp. I'm not sure Shanam himself is going to really be good, as Bargain comes after purchaseable S-Drinks, and you get most of your gear through Capture anyways... but extra Pugi is always fun, and Miranda is kind of a neat character.

I want to avoid using Evayle while she's around and I want to try and avoid doing very much with Dagda.

Use Dagda to capture everything that moves, and then have Marty take the enemies from him, steal their stuff, and do the catch and release. This is way better than trying to actually capture the enemies directly with Marty, in my experience. Evayle you can probably duplicated everything you need her for with Finn if you're taking your time on maps, so feel free to do so.

Characters I'm considering/want to use:

Fin

Othin

Halvan

Tanya

Safy

Machua

Brighton

Lara

Fergus

Karin

Asvel

Nanna

Shiva

Carrion

Olwen

Mareeta

Salem (optimally I'd like to use him for combat too)

Pahn

Homer

Sara

Sety

Galzus

Tanya was tricky for me. You're not likely to be able to get her trained high enough before she leaves on account of bow-lock, and then when she comes back the situation isn't exactly the best for her. Her most redeeming quality is making Othin better through support, IIRC. Not sure I'd frequently give up a deployment for that.

Machua was very situational use, and may have trouble making it in the long-term. Or maybe mine just didn't want to cooperate.

Shiva didn't impress me all that much, but he's almost certainly a better choice than say Trewd. You're probably better off with somebody on a horse though, all said and done.

Characters I'm on the fence about:

Marty (He sounds like a very controversial figure...)

Lifis (Stealing sounds rockin' but I don't want to expend large effort to get him working)

Dalshin

Tina

Dean

Eda

Sleuf

Xavier (Sounds great but also sounds terrible to recruit...)

Marty should be used to strip equipment in early chapters and benched after Purple Dragon Mountain, IMO.

Lifis is your thief until you get Pahn, and barring miraculous growths, is probably outclassed by the latter in every way.

Dalshien is only really worth using in the Manster chapters, because you have nobody else.

Tina, unlike everyone on this list up until now, is actually pretty damn amazing. She has a couple of Prf Staves, and a shit-ton of remove stars, making her very clutch at a lot of useful things. She's probably my favorite staffer of the bunch, barring Nanna.

Dean and Eda are both solid, IMO, though if you want to get Eda up and going, you'll probably need to invest a skill manual of some sort onto her, and it may or may not be overall worth it. It really depends how much you like extra fliers and if you want to invest any effort into her at that point in the game. Dean is just pick-up and go, though.

I'm VERY open to suggestions other than these (I seem to have covered most of the cast! :sweatdrop:) because I'm still intimidated by this game...

I would also recommend Selphina, if for nothing else, being good with a Brave bow and a pony.

If you're using Olwen, then Fred is a solid accompaniment for her.

Supports are nice, but I don't think the bonus from Tania will make much of a difference for Othin with how powerful he is already. Regardless, if Crash isn't concerned about having a perfect team (which he shouldn't be), she's certainly usable.

Edited by Othin