[FE11] Banzai Draft

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it seems as though people are saying I should leave the rules be, so I'll do that. In subsequent drafts, however, I will probably make a note about Arena and Boss abuse (especially if I decide to do the same parameters for a game that has easier arenas and bosses, like FE7 or FESS).

Again, I'd like to remind everyone that this is largely experimental and seeing what works and what doesn't is all part of the revision process. You guys are my guinea pigs and while I feel I've accounted for a lot with my rules, invariably I've missed something that you guys will spot.

Also, Horace, what is your opinion on not counting restarts for Chapters 1 through 3?

No, people should have a plain and simple right to abuse all they want to, because this scoring system doesn't punish having high turncounts.

If Banzai disagrees, then that means that he's submitting to the much-reviled LTC ubermensch.

dondon, please define "sportsmanship" in your own words, if you are capable of doing so.

Merric has more potential since hes at a lower level and since we arent aiming for low turncounts, you should be able to take advantage of him more than Wendall. At least, thats whats I think about it.

dondon, please define "sportsmanship" in your own words, if you are capable of doing so.

Easy. It's being courteous and respectful to your fellow competition and competing within the bounds of the rules.

(I love it when people ask a question and are all like "AHA checkmate whatcha gonna do now")

Easy. It's being courteous and respectful to your fellow competition and competing within the bounds of the rules.

(I love it when people ask a question and are all like "AHA checkmate whatcha gonna do now")

And Boss Abusing really doesn't sound like that.

And Boss Abusing really doesn't sound like that.

Indeed. It follows the rules, but it forces your opponents to spend an inordinate amount of time rather than strategy in order to keep up, which is quite discourteous.

Indeed. It follows the rules, but it forces your opponents to spend an inordinate amount of time rather than strategy in order to keep up, which is quite discourteous.

Uhh, no, it is not discourteous. In case you haven't figured it out, sportsmanship does not preclude playing to win, as long as by playing to win, you remain within the rules. In fact, when it comes down to competition, I think that one of the most unsportsmanlike things to do is to sandbag, because you are denying your opponent the satisfaction of a well-deserved win if he wins, and if he loses, then his relative inferiority is rubbed in his face.

Not to single General Horace out, but in this scenario, if he chooses not to boss abuse when the option is plainly available and optimal while the other users do so, then that is unsportsmanlike, because he is consciously throwing the outcome of the competition in the direction of the other participants instead of putting up a serious challenge.

Do you think taking rebounds is discourteous in basketball? "But my opponent literally SNATCHED the ball away from me! How rude!"

Edited by dondon151

So the answer to my previous question is, no, you can't. As I thought, you're not capable of comprehending abstract concepts; you are only able to evaluate hard numbers.

Thanks for playing.

Othin, he gave a perfectly logical explanation. Would you say that an olympic class runner is being unsportsmanlike because by training for hours, they are implicitly forcing their opponents to train for hours too if they want to stand any chance of winning? Of course not.

"Sportsmanship is an aspiration or ethos that a sport or activity will be enjoyed for its own sake, with proper consideration for fairness, ethics, respect, and a sense of fellowship with one's competitors."

Doesn't seem entirely dissimilar to dondon's suggestion.

Othin, he gave a perfectly logical explanation. Would you say that an olympic class runner is being unsportsmanlike because by training for hours, they are implicitly forcing their opponents to train for hours too if they want to stand any chance of winning? Of course not.

"Sportsmanship is an aspiration or ethos that a sport or activity will be enjoyed for its own sake, with proper consideration for fairness, ethics, respect, and a sense of fellowship with one's competitors."

Doesn't seem entirely dissimilar to dondon's suggestion.

Fire Emblem is a game of strategy. The Olympics are based on preparing yourself as best as you can for a demonstration of physical abilities. Kind of a difference there.

If a sport allowed for a technique with a risk of injury to the opponent, with no penalty, would it not be sportsmanlike for teams to agree to not use that technique and to win by other means? According to dondon, such an agreement would be unsportsmanlike, which is clearly false.

Edited by Othin

Draug and Cord.

And really guys? I wasn't even being that serious in regards to the boss abuse. I don't have the patience to do that for 10 levels. Even if I did, me boss abusing Gordin isn't going to make this unwinnable at all because Gordin's bases are shit and his growths are also pretty shitty. May I ask how this is going to put the other players at a disadvantage?

It "forces your opponents to spend an inordinate amount of time rather than strategy in order to keep up"? What? If anything, that's me, not the other players.

Edited by CR-S01

Maybe Jake will be of some use. I mean, if I have to recruit him anyway, I may as well take advantage of him.