Famitsu info - Tiki & Continent of Varm

Ursula

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, the sub-category. So special tomes like Flux and Nosferatu will probably still be counted in the Tomes category, but be restricted to Dark Mage and Sorcerer. Odd that Dark Knights sound like they can't use them, though. WHY ARE THEY CALLED DARK KNIGHTS THEN

So sword/tome regular class is confirmed, then, but we're still lost as to a tome/axe one. Which isn't overly surprising, since there's no way they're going for everything, just most things.

Is Master Strategist still locked to sword/tome? I'd assume so, but I want to make sure. Also, that seems to be MU's only promotion, then? (Barring reclassing, anyway.) If so, then Krom is probably the same story. I also suspect Krom will be able to reclass, since apparently everyone else can.

And dammit the images aren't clear enough for me to determine exact base stats and promotion gains.

Dark Knight is a pretty funny class name (especially given the Black Knight in FE9/10 was a Dark Knight) and I don't quite understand why they didn't just call it Mage Knight. Well, they do still ride a black horse...

Maybe Gryphon Knights are the Axe/Magic class? Just completely guessing.

Didn't the Black Knight use kanji for his name? So the Japanese names are both written and pronounced completely differently.

It's possible, but eh. I hope not; would be rather redundant with Dark Pegasus and make both of them much less interesting, which doesn't seem to be what the developers are going for with this game's classes. I mean, we're definitely not seeing bow/tome or bow/staff, so it makes sense that we might also miss out on a couple of other things, like axe/tome and lance/bow. I'm hoping Griffin Knights are a second axe/bow class, personally; there are too few bow classes confirmed, and they should be different enough from Warriors.

Most of the unconfirmed classes seem predictable enough right now, like Sniper, Warrior, and Berserker, as well as Troubadour's promotions. The main thing I'm left wondering about is the foot lance class Donny has. Soldier --> Paladin / Halberdier, maybe? The odd thing about Halberdier is what skills is might have to make up for being mono-weapon. The Backup skills seem to be a big part of this sort of thing for mono-weapon and other classes that seem to lose in other core attributes, and I think we'll see them looking like this:

Strength Cry: Berserker

Magic Cry: Sage

Skill Cry: Sniper

Speed Cry: Swordmaster

Defense Cry: General

Resistance Cry: Battle Monk / Battle Cleric

General is the best example so far, since it's inferior to Great Knight both in weapons and mobility, although ithas slight stat advantages. Sage may need these tricks to stand up to Sorcerer, having dark magic, and probably Troubadour's magic promotion because of its mount. Also its stats are kinda low. Strength Cry for Berserker is basically confirmed from Vake's skill screen, since it's alongside some crit-boosting skills.

Speed / Skill / Resistance are the ones I'm assuming, but they make sense. Sage has a magic power bonus and Magic Cry. Berserker has a crit bonus and Strength Cry. Sniper probably has a range bonus and Skill Cry. Swordmaster probably has a Hit bonus and Speed Cry. This is the odd one, since Ayra does seem to have a skill that offers +20 to something, but her battle stats don't seem affected, including Hit. Also, she doesn't display Speed Cry, but maybe it's learned at a higher level or something. Meanwhile, Battle Cleric is like Sage; it has low stats (abysmal compared to Falcon Knight and loses horribly in mobility) so it makes sense for it to have healing boosts and Resistance Cry.

But then this doesn't leave much for Halberdier. I'm sure it'll still have skills attached like all classes seem to, but not the stuff that fits into this pattern for the super-special stuff for classes that need it. Maybe it'll be replaced with that lance/bow class we've I've been waiting for?

Edited by Othin

Oh yeah, the Black Knight himself uses kanji for his name, but FE10's pretty funky in that every class is written in katakana and kanji. So his class is both Shikoku no Kishi and Daakunaito. A bunch of classes have some jarring kanji names though, like the promoted Pegasus/Dracoknights are called Holy Pegasus/Dracoknight and the 3rd tiers are called Divine Pegasus/Dracoknight.

Bow and Magic might be a little redundant, although Berwick Saga did have Lynette. Bow and Staves doesn't sound half bad, now that we've got a class with Axe and Staves.

Ah, right. Now that you mention it, I remember you mentioning that back way back when we were first getting FE10 info. That was... over five years ago. Damn.

Lynette did have her own class, though. Also, she had swords, although there was no reason to ever have her use them since her personal bow and spell would last the whole one chapter she was available. Swords just feel like they balance it more rather than being weird and lopsided... even if being lopsided makes sense. I dunno; maybe I'm just spouting nonsense.

Either way, though, I just don't think we'll see those classes just because we seem to have most of the information for a complete class system without them. Here's my projections for the "regular" classes, with confirmed things in bold:

Soldier (lance) → Halberdier (lance) / Paladin (sword/lance)

Cavalier (sword/lance) → Paladin (sword/lance) / Great Knight (sword/lance/axe)

Knight (lance) → Great Knight (sword/lance/axe) / General (lance/axe)

Pegasus Knight (lance) → Falcon Knight (lance/staff) / Dark Pegasus (lance/tome)

Dracoknight (axe) → Dragonmaster (lance/axe) / Griffin Knight (axe/bow)

Archer (bow) → Sniper (bow) / Horseman (sword/bow)

Mercenary (sword) → Horseman (sword/bow) / Hero (sword/axe)

Fighter (axe) → Hero (sword/axe) / Warrior (axe/bow)

Brigand (axe) → Warrior (axe/bow) / Berserker (axe)

Myrmidon (sword) → Swordmaster (sword) / Assassin (sword)

Thief (sword) → Assassin (sword) / Trickster (sword/staff)

Mage (tome) → Sage (tome/staff) / Dark Knight (sword/tome)

Dark Mage (tome) → Sorcerer (tome/staff) / Dark Knight (sword/tome)

Priest (staff) → Sage (tome/staff) / Battle Monk (axe/staff)

Cleric (staff) → Sage (tome/staff) / Battle Cleric (axe/staff)

Troubadour (staff) → Valkyrie (sword/staff) / Mage Knight (tome/staff)

This seems pretty much complete. I made a few guesses to fill in the blanks, but I don't think they'll be too far off.

Wouldn't the Valkyrie class outclass the Trickster class? They have the same equipment, but have access to a horse.

I don't think so. Trickster is a thief class, meaning it likely has several fancy skills attached, and substantially different stats in comparison to the primarily healer class. Weapon levels may also matter; Tricksters promote from a sword class while Valkyries promote from a staff class, meaning that the characters likely to access the class will use one better than the other, and when other characters use Change Seals to access the classes, their base weapon levels may be affected correspondingly.

Of course, FE has been no stranger to making classes that really do just outclass others, such as Cavaliers with two weapon types and increased mobility and then promoting to Paladins with the entire weapon triangle. But I think FE13 is doing a better job of keeping that in check, especially with skills.

Interesting. I'll just add that , in reference to Trickster vs Valkyrie, Trickster could potentially gain some movement bonuses in deserts and such. I can't really recall if thieves gain movement bonuses in past FE's, so correct me if I'm wrong there.

As for the surprise...Another returning character, perhaps? We've got Marth and Tiki thus far, I wouldn't be surprised if another old character were revealed.

Then again...I really have no idea what it could be.

They don't gain bonuses, but they tend to not be hindered by the desert, while mounted units are. Regardless, that's usually the case and I don't think it does much to balance out horses.

Tiki has an excuse to return because she's a dragon. I don't think we're likely to see anyone else still alive from FE1/3; it's probably something new.

I thought not, couldn't remember right. I'd agree that it's not much, but I suppose the effectiveness (and frequency) of Horse Slayer wielding enemies could offer some form of incentive. Other than the possible skills that they may possess.

Hm...most likely something new then. The game is about to be released in a few short weeks, so let's wait and see before the threshold of info comes in the form of the Japanese release.

It depends. In FE11, there seemed to be at least one enemy with a Ridersbane in most maps, so that worked decently well as a check against mounted units, although they still tended to be much better overall.

We've seen enemies of the soldier class in the trailers, if it means anything.

Perhaps, but they've often shown up without being playable before. On the other hand, having reclassing and the flexibility to actually add such a character could make it so that there could be no real justification for withholding it from the player.

Edited by Othin

Perhaps, but they've often shown up without being playable before. On the other hand, having reclassing and the flexibility to actually add such a character could make it so that there could be no real justification for withholding it from the player.

Very true.

Still this game even has the normally unplayable Bandits available through reclassing Vake, so I kinda of get the impression the game isn't going to have many enemy-only generic classes.

You may be right. However, comparing it to the class systems in FE8 and FE11/12, it seems to be taking the place of the similar Pirate class. So who knows?

They don't gain bonuses, but they tend to not be hindered by the desert, while mounted units are. Regardless, that's usually the case and I don't think it does much to balance out horses.

Tiki has an excuse to return because she's a dragon. I don't think we're likely to see anyone else still alive from FE1/3; it's probably something new.

There's also Xane, and Bantu.

oh please bring back bantu

Yeah, I wonder where poor Bantu i-

...!!!

New theory! Xane is masked Marth!

I've called that twice already

There's also Xane, and Bantu.

oh please bring back bantu

I doubt they'll care about Bantu

Isn't it sad, Bantu

Who knows, though even Bantu could've already bean dead of old age at this point. And perhaps Gotoh as well.

So yeah, Xane is the most likely to also return if anything.

I thought Gotoh had died in the end of one of the games; I must be be confusing him with another old dude. There's also Nagi for another potential returnee, unless she turns out to be actually Naga, then it's a moot point.

I would love it if Holsety would make an appearance.

I thought Gotoh had died in the end of one of the games; I must be be confusing him with another old dude. There's also Nagi for another potential returnee, unless she turns out to be actually Naga, then it's a moot point.

I would love it if Holsety would make an appearance.

No that was that one guy in fe7 . I don't remember his name because I loathe fe7 but yeah he died at the end not gotoh

Edited by The_Purple_Knight