How do I get a girlfriend?

Helios

Nah but I'm curious as to how everyone here approaches the girl or guy they are attracted to. What are some techniques or methods or strategies or things you like to do to get someone to fall for you? Discuss.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I flirt a bit, ask her out on a date.

First date tips:

Don't do movie and dinner for a first date; if conversating is tough you'll have to sit out the entire evening doing it. Ask her out to something you think is fun.

When on your first date; there are some things you should talk about and some things you should avoid. Generally you want to talk about your interests, her interests, how life is, funny stories etc. Avoid explaining to her in great detail how quantum mechanics or a certain piece of statistical mathematic works and how your father used to beat your mother.

And last but not least, chill the fuck out. It's only a first date.

go get 'em tiger.

-Develop a coalition to prepare for an attack on multiple fronts

-Gather actionable intelligence on their strategic interests

-Engage in dialogue, deflect tension with jocular measures

-Consult allies, if their expertise is applicable

-Plan the deployment of "missions of good will," convince of common interests

-Ask them to the library or games or something

Actually depending on the guy your chances might end up lower if she knows you.

Thats kind of dumb and backwards. People ought to get to know each other before getting into dating imo. Of course stories from other people seem to agree with you.

For starters, you need to meet someone with similar interests. Romance must not be an objective during the initial stages. Since honestly, the notion of a girlfriend is worthless in comparison to that of an actual friend anyway. If you find a girl with similar interests, then compound on those interests. Discuss those things. Get to know her better through the things she loves. Share things you love that she hasn't been exposed to, and likewise, be willing to explore her own interests that are alien to you as well. As a friendship develops in this way, the two of you will become more involved in each other's lives, just as any real friendship would develop. And from this point, if there is any kind of romantic spark there, it'll just continue to deepen until eventually you are in a position where if you wanted to, asking her out might be just fine. That can take a very long time to be in that sort of amazing friend / borderline romantic interest position. Make some kind of move too early and you not only threaten the friendship, but when that happens, it may also seem like it was all just to try and come onto her. That's the sort of thing that no girl wants to feel. Ultimately, just be a friend. And keep being an awesome friend. The most successful relationships are between best friends. Not lovers. Lovers fall to pieces. Best friends never end.

For starters, you need to meet someone with similar interests. Romance must not be an objective during the initial stages. Since honestly, the notion of a girlfriend is worthless in comparison to that of an actual friend anyway. If you find a girl with similar interests, then compound on those interests. Discuss those things. Get to know her better through the things she loves. Share things you love that she hasn't been exposed to, and likewise, be willing to explore her own interests that are alien to you as well. As a friendship develops in this way, the two of you will become more involved in each other's lives, just as any real friendship would develop. And from this point, if there is any kind of romantic spark there, it'll just continue to deepen until eventually you are in a position where if you wanted to, asking her out might be just fine. That can take a very long time to be in that sort of amazing friend / borderline romantic interest position. Make some kind of move too early and you not only threaten the friendship, but when that happens, it may also seem like it was all just to try and come onto her. That's the sort of thing that no girl wants to feel. Ultimately, just be a friend. And keep being an awesome friend. The most successful relationships are between best friends. Not lovers. Lovers fall to pieces. Best friends never end.

I really think this is the best advice anyone could give on this subject. :)

no. this gets you friendzoned. And that, my dear friend, is not where you want to be.

not sure if this is written by a teenaged girl or boy who has no experience. but that doesn't matter.

In any case, just go with whatever attracts you. Subsequently use the first date to find out whether the inside also attracts you (expect to end up feeling "meh" on that part often, which is why a first date holds little weight IMO)

Edited by Daigoji Excellen

My first relationship lasted 2 and a half years. I took her out to IHOP for our first date.

Take the girl to IHOP. Also, smile a lot and laugh at her jokes. Smiling + eye contact = victory. Trust me when I say that's the winning formula.

However, if you're in college... you have to be an asshole to the girl. Sad yet true.

no. this gets you friendzoned. And that, my dear friend, is not where you want to be.

not sure if this is written by a teenaged girl or boy who has no experience. but that doesn't matter.

In any case, just go with whatever attracts you. Subsequently use the first date to find out whether the inside also attracts you (expect to end up feeling "meh" on that part often, which is why a first date holds little weight IMO)

That you honestly think that is the case is kind of exactly why people seem to get bad advice constantly. That does not get you friend-zoned at all. I am neither a teenage girl nor a boy without experience, but a woman who happens to live with her own girlfriend (and best friend too, so much for that friend-zone), and kind of knows a thing or several hundred about how many more nerdy girls operate (i.e. probably the kind of girl that anyone who hangs around a Fire Emblem forum is going to share interests with).

I'll put this out here right now: Dating is a useless and outdated form of relationship building. In an era where communication with the other side of the planet is instantaneous, seeing someone once a week in any personal capacity isn't going to make anything more than a fleeting interest of time occur. True friendship is essential now more than ever, and that everyone is still following the horrible methods of the past is why there is a nearly 50 percent divorce rate these days.

Edited by Sophia Aetheria

Idk if this would be from my lack of experience or not. But in some my mind getting to know someone and feeling like we get along like great friends would is all that I look for. As long as I know that we "click" perfectly and also as long as I feel a super strong bond then I get super interested in the guy.

I want to get more time to get to know a guy, but not by letting loveydovey feelings get in the way. Because then it just feels less real to me... And it also personally feels less awkward to me if I get comfortable with somebody before showing that I might want to be committed... Not sure if I'm explaining this in the right way or not... I'm trying XD

Well either way...

If there are girls out there that think the same way then you guys might want to be aware of that though XP

But of course all girls people will take things in different ways. I somehow doubt there's any definite way to know how to deal with one because they will all have different opinions on what they want...

your ideas interest me. share with me your basic philosophical ideas.

My basic philosophical ideals... Hm. Well, many of them developed as a result of the internet and the nature of anonymity removing consequences from actions and as a result having to deal with many many people who treat others without even a shred of respect, as well as dealing with prejudices in my offline life. So.. I guess I'll list the basics for you, as you asked. >w<

Empathy is the most important single concept in existence. It doesn't matter how much one may be able to sympathize with another person. When someone is truly in pain, saying it'll be okay and patting them on the back does nothing for them and certainly doesn't allow you to feel where they are coming from. To be capable of having actual relationships with people, one must put themselves in the shoes of the other. Every thing they do must be something you can at least attempt to think of from their perspective, in such a way that it makes since why they might do things as they do. When someone begins to empathize with others, they can become much closer... and most importantly, can be of greater help. And helping others is something that I'm pretty much entirely about.

Do not condemn anything outright. No matter how horrible or wrong something may seem, to condemn it solely on personal bias is completely inane. Think about the concept and everything related to the concept. If it is a belief, then one must think about why the other person would hold such a belief. Why such a belief is good for them, but perhaps not for others. Is this thing harmful to others? Is it harmful to that person? Many questions arise, but until evidence to prove that something is negative has been given, it is best to assume that at least, for the holder in the belief, it is okay on some level. Looking at how you said my method would result in getting friend-zoned... My guess is that would stem from having taken such an approach and that being the result, or perhaps hearing of it happen to others. Personal experience is plenty of reason to believe something to be true, so I don't think you are necessarily wrong about that possibility. But it certainly isn't the only outcome available. Obviously there are concepts for which thousands of years of evidence, anecdotal, historical and scientific exist to the contrary, and for something as obvious as one of those, it is okay to condemn it. Acts such as murder or rape would fall under this category. But even with such acts, it is still important to try and consider the motives, such that perhaps if the signs were seen in a person, one could steer them away from a destructive path.

No matter how out of the way it may seem, always stop to help anyone with anything that you are able, and if you are unable to help, try to direct them to something or someone that can help them. Altruism is a major basis of my life, and I've learned that sitting around feeling sorry for myself and blaming the world is completely pointless. The reason the world seems to suck so bad is that so many people act that way, and fewer and fewer people out there are helping people for the sake of helping them. So instead of just sitting around waiting for someone to save me, I prefer to be the sort of person who extends their hand to anyone who would take it. To those who are hurting and crying out for help as I did long ago. And even not as extreme as that can be, after all, just helping someone who tripped up is a kind gesture that is becoming ever rarer.

Never assume you know anything about anything, honestly. No matter how much you have learned, you still have much much much more to learn about not only it, but everything else in the world. I'm still young, and I certainly haven't even but begun to learn everything that life has in store to teach me. I'm learning new lessons everyday, and applying them to myself as best I can. My opinions are prone to changing over time, and even part of my philosophies as well. To talk as though you know everything and cannot be wrong only assures that people may dismiss you. Keeping one's mind open to both learning new facts and changing opinions on both previously learned facts and beliefs is vital to growing as a person as well as being able to maintain healthy relationships with others. Plus, if someone is static, they are totally boring. owo

So um... yeah. There's a lot more than that too, but um, there's your answer.

Philanthropists. Pfft.

Being selfless as best as someone can be is a thankless job. I don't expect anyone to understand it, or honestly to even respect it. Though I'd prefer that people do. On that note, don't knock it just because it seems dumb or you may have been burned trying it.

Being selfless as best as someone can be is a thankless job. I don't expect anyone to understand it, or honestly to even respect it. Though I'd prefer that people do. On that note, don't knock it just because it seems dumb or you may have been burned trying it.

Nah, people just aren't worth my time :V

That's honestly one of the most selfish and arrogant things I've ever heard someone say... but I guess that's standard fare on the internet. To each their own? >.<

Sorry, I just took a good, long look at the USA and decided that the majority of humanity was beneath me :V

most individuals here (SF) aren't, oh no; a lot of them are awesome people who I would consider to be worth my time, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to help people unless they've proved that they're worth helping ~( ' 3')~

and if you'd like me to record a video saying "People just aren't worth my time" or whatever you'd want to convince you that it's not just some internet quip I throw out to troll, I can

Edited by seph1212

Sorry, I just took a good, long look at the USA and decided that the majority of humanity was beneath me :V

most individuals here (SF) aren't, oh no; a lot of them are awesome people who I would consider to be worth my time, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to help people unless they've proved that they're worth helping ~( ' 3')~

and if you'd like me to record a video saying "People just aren't worth my time" or whatever you'd want to convince you that it's not just some internet quip I throw out to troll, I can

Oh, no, that's okay. And I do understand how that view can develop... I certainly felt that way myself years ago... It feels like if everyone is so horrible, how can anyone be worth being nice to? My answer eventually just became to be that one nice person among the flood of unpleasant someones.

Anyway, thank you for clarifying... Misunderstandings are the bane of communications. v.v