[FE7] ENM: The speedy completion draft!

Right, I just had a quick idea for this one. I won't be participating.

Drafting:

1. This draft is for 5 players.

2. Eliwood, Marcus, Merlinus, Ninian/Nils, and Athos are free for all to use.

3. Geitz and Wallace are drafted as a pair.

4. Marcus is banned after Chapter 15.

5. The game will be played on Eliwood Normal Mode, skipping Lyn Mode..

6. Players are ranked on game completion rather than turncounts, the winner is the first person to complete the game and log all chapters.

6a. This will start from when drafting is completed, DO NOT START before everyone's finished drafting!

7. There is a time limit of one month from the time drafting finished to complete the draftbefore you forfeit your place, so make sure you can finish the game in a timely manner.

8. Logs (including character stats) are required for all chapters, even if you don't have a lot to say.

Rules:

1. Undrafted units may recruit characters, rescue undrafted units and NPCs, trade, visit Shops and Armories, and dig up items in the desert.

2. Undrafted units may not do anything not listed above, including but not limited to meatshielding, building Supports, opening Doors or Chests, and talking to Fargus in Chapter 16x.

3. All Gaiden Chapters except 22x and 26x are required to be visited. 22x and 26x may be visited at the player's discretion, and don't count towards the total turncount up to 20 turns taken per chapter.

4. Other units may do as they please without penalty.

5. Defend chapters count the last played Player Phase for turns if the timer is waited out.

Penalties:

1. Undrafted units have a 4 turn penalty, per unit per chapter.

Exceptions:

1. Meatshielding is allowed for Chapter 13x.

2. Lyn, Kent, Sain and Wil are free for Chapter 15.

3. Undrafted Thieves may be used to obtain necessary Promotion items.

Teams:

[spoiler=Units remaining]

Lowen

Rebecca

Dorcas

Bartre

Hector

Matthew

Serra

Oswin

Guy

Erk

Priscilla

Florina

Lyn

Sain

Kent

Wil

Raven

Lucius

Canas

Dart

Fiora

Legault

Isadora

Heath

Rath

Hawkeye

Geitz/Wallace

Pent

Louise

Karel

Harken

Nino

Jaffar

Vaida

Renault

Edited by CrashGordon94

To be honest, the draft kind of defeats itself. If it's not based on turns then penalties mean nothing and you can just use whoever you want to.

ssh stop pointing out flaws in the obviously half-baked and half-cocked sorta vaguely new draft idea gosh man

To be honest, the draft kind of defeats itself. If it's not based on turns then penalties mean nothing and you can just use whoever you want to.

Fair enough, perhaps a different penalty would work?

ssh stop pointing out flaws in the obviously half-baked and half-cocked sorta vaguely new draft idea gosh man

sorry man don't hate

Fair enough, perhaps a different penalty would work?

I don't know Crash. Really the system doesn't work for penalties.

Eh ... I don't think a draft based on "who finishes the first" is the best idea. Because I'd totally mop the floor with everyone in that case. I finish drafts faster than everyone else who drafts (except possibly Horace, and I've even finished drafts sooner than Horace). Also, I could draft a completely terrible team that costs me turns in everything that they do, and yet finish the draft because I finished it on the day that we finished drafting, and all the other drafters aren't even at the Dread Isle. So ... yeah.

Eh ... I don't think a draft based on "who finishes the first" is the best idea. Because I'd totally mop the floor with everyone in that case. I finish drafts faster than everyone else who drafts (except possibly Horace, and I've even finished drafts sooner than Horace). Also, I could draft a completely terrible team that costs me turns in everything that they do, and yet finish the draft because I finished it on the day that we finished drafting, and all the other drafters aren't even at the Dread Isle. So ... yeah.

I don't think the idea is good too, but "it's bad because I'd win" is just as bad a counterargument!

I don't think the idea is good too, but "it's bad because I'd win" is just as bad a counterargument!

Lol. My point was that I finish drafts quicker than almost all other drafters, from start to finish, but I take much longer in the actual game than most other people. In other words, it's not really a victory. It just means I had more spare time on my hands than everyone else.

Because it's not really measurable in any specific timeframe. I'd just ban use of them altogether, seeing as how turns don't matter.

Fair enough, will do.

This is a horrible idea. No offense.

But then what do I do?

Penalties should be in terms of days. As in, undrafted units have a 4 day penalty, per unit per chapter.

That said, this is a bad idea because I'd actually win. Not because I play faster than Boron, but because I'd create a fake log while drafting was going on and post it a couple of hours after drafting finished.

What about defining a turn as two hours (or some other finite measure of time)? That way it encourages quick play in real-time and quick play in-game also.

[02:23] <@Paperblade> Mekkah there's a draft being hosted that I would always win

[02:23] <@Paperblade> http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=32461&pid=1971692&st=0entry1971692

[02:23] <@Paperblade> "6. Players are ranked on game completion rather than turncounts, the winner is the first person to complete the game and log all chapters."

[02:24] <~Mekkah> agree'd

[02:28] <@Paperblade> also

[02:28] <@Paperblade> this draft gives an unfair advantage to pirates

[02:28] <@Paperblade> because of the turbo button

[02:28] <@Paperblade> and save states saves a lot of time in case of errors or bad luck on restarting

Edit: also anyone who spends 2 hours on a turn even when LTCing is terrible at time management

Edited by Paperblade

The problem I see with this draft is that it's just like a normal playthrough, in which you have to finish in a month or whatever time limit it was.

I find that if a draft isn't finished in the first month or month in a half it's not usually gonna be completed in the first place, unless people go back to it (which is rare).

I can't really offer any other solutions though :/

What about ranking it in game time? Like a speed run does it.

Well, maybe but that's kinda different. :/

What about making it a vanilla draft?

That would just kill the entire point...

Though I thought of doing that but keeping the one month time limit.

I find that if a draft isn't finished in the first month or month in a half it's not usually gonna be completed in the first place, unless people go back to it (which is rare).

That's why I put the time limit there, to make sure people actually finish it.