Rate The Unit Day 5: Halvan

AMCC4728

Dat Rules (stolen/borrowed from Integrity, which where then copied from the FE10 ratings)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Normal Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get home from school, between 1500 and 1600 EST.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a warp staff" or any other justification as an argument.

- Rating a unit too low because you think its overrated will make me throw away your vote without mercy.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

- Scrolls have no impact on a unit's rating. Just because Marty can become awesome with scrolls does not mean his score should go up.

- Warp skipping has an impact on scores in so far as "Safy has an high base staff rank". Nanna would score lower than Safy because of her lower rank, but no chapter is explicitly said to be skipped. You can't get Warp and then suddenly say every character after doesn't exist or requires turns to recruit. Something could be said of Xavier, or Conomore/Amalda who are in an escape chapter where Leaf starts next to the escape point.

Evayl:5.02

Leaf:8.18

Othin:8.86

Fin:9.06

Since Papermate has been gone for 2 days I hope he doesn't mind me doing this one. Halvan is basically Othin without Wrath and a better PCC.

8.5/10

Edited by Austin LePurple

He compensates what he has not with the sexy PCC he has, and that is almost as good as Wrath, but Wrath is a free counter, so its, for me, a

7.5/10

Good unit that can allow itself to own fuckers that dare to attack him in enemy phase.

I actually prefer him to Othin, mainly because his stats are generally higher and he has a good PCC. That Brave Axe also helps a lot, but it isn't as good as the possibly two Pugis. 8/10 +.5 of bias so 8.5/10.

Edited by Konnor97

No, whoops, I just forgot to put up the thread yesterday. I was waiting for two hours so it'd at least be 2 full days. I'll put Dagda up tomorrow.

Othin without Pugi, Wrath, and one less PCC

6.5/10

Unique with the Hero Axe and having Ambush will make him a great frontliner in every chapter. His greater Defense than Othin will make him more useable in the enemy phase than Othin. But Slightly. Use him, or weep.

9.9/10

Edited by リンダ

That Brave Axe also helps a lot, and it can be passed on to other axe users, unlike the Pugi.

...how is this a point in Havan's favor as opposed to Othin and the Pugi?

dondon how exactly is "exists forever except Manster" availability issues when it's entirely better than like 80% of the characters?

Othin without Pugi, Wrath, and one less PCC

Othin has 3 PCC, while Halvan has 4.

Not too special, but solid. 7/10

dondon how exactly is "exists forever except Manster" availability issues when it's entirely better than like 80% of the characters?

halvan does basically nothing from chapters 1-3 except rescuing a couple of times

so he basically joins in chapter 8. not that much better than units like shiva, trewd, etc.

dondon how exactly is "exists forever except Manster" availability issues when it's entirely better than like 80% of the characters?Othin has 3 PCC, while Halvan has 4.Not too special, but solid. 7/10

It doesn't really matter enough for me to change my vote.

halvan does basically nothing from chapters 1-3 except rescuing a couple of timesso he basically joins in chapter 8. not that much better than units like shiva, trewd, etc.

Trewd doesn't join till chapter 13, basically, and there's nothing special about him. How is that better than Shiva or Halvan.

...how is this a point in Havan's favor as opposed to Othin and the Pugi?

He's the only one who can get it, and he can pass it to another unit if needed. Pugi is better stat-wise besides might, but it is Othin locked. I generally prefer multiple user weapons over single unit ones. Never mind, I had a change of thought.

Edited by Konnor97

how is that a point for halvan over othin

watch me flip your argument around:

othin has a better weapon that's solely for him, halvan has to compete with other axe users for his brave axe

Umm, never thought about it like that. You can even get two Pugis compared to the one Brave Axe. That's a good point. I'll change my vote because of that argument.

Trewd doesn't join till chapter 13, basically, and there's nothing special about him. How is that better than Shiva or Halvan.

i never said that trewd was better than shiva or halvan

but the sad thing is that i can actually make a case; trewd starts 6 levels closer to promotion than halvan, has B swords vs. D+10 axes (by the way, axes that are not pugi or brave axe are not that good in this game), has 1 more movement after promotion, and has innate adept upon promotion, and nihil actually lets him face some enemies and bosses without the risk of instantly dying

also i never understood how vantage was any good in this game; you basically need a brave axe or a critical hit in order to make it really worth something

anyway the point is that halvan is extremely mediocre without the brave axe, and there's a certain someone that uses the brave axe far better than halvan

Edited by dondon151

i never said that trewd was better than shiva or halvan

but the sad thing is that i can actually make a case; trewd starts 6 levels closer to promotion than halvan, has B swords vs. D+10 axes (by the way, axes that are not pugi or brave axe are not that good in this game), has 1 more movement after promotion, and has innate adept upon promotion, and nihil actually lets him face some enemies and bosses without the risk of instantly dying

also i never understood how vantage was any good in this game; you basically need a brave axe or a critical hit in order to make it really worth something

anyway the point is that halvan is extremely mediocre without the brave axe, and there's a certain someone that uses the brave axe far better than halvan

If Halvan can't gain 6 levels in the 12 chapters you have him then you probably aren't using him. Halvan also gains Swords on promotion, so he has a much better weapon choice after promotion. Plus, it's much easier for Halvan to have 1-2 range in the form of Hand Axes then for Trewd to compete for a magic sword for ranged options. You're also likely going to use a better boss killer than Trewd when you have to kill someone and you probably won't use Halvan either.

Pretty disappointing, actually. He's a combat unit that never becomes as reliable at killing as Othin, Fin, Felgus, or even Mareeta. Yeah, he has 4 PCC and axes, but those are not enough.

5/10

Edited by Mekkah

Othin doesn't have a horse and Fin's Brave Lance is also pretty cool.

Othin doesn't have suffer dismounting stat losses or lose his weapon indoors. Lets not forget the godly power of the Wrath Skill.

I guess I can understand Fin's early game and outdoor utility. Hero Lance is exclusive to him and awesome to use.

Much like Othin, his start isn't bad but is overshadowed by Fin, Eyvel and Dagda. He does have statistical leads over him in HP, Strength, Defense, while him trailing in Skill and Speed doesn't mean much when his PCC is higher and how his Speed is still good. Then there's his skill, Ambush, which can be fairly useful at times, such as choking points against Armorknights with a Hammer equipped, or the Hero Axe against almost anything else. However, while Othin's Pugi is personal, the Hero Axe is not, and there's quite a few axemen making good use of it.

He's far from perfect, but he's still pretty good at killing enemies. He's sturdier than most and his high HP is good against fatigue. Might want some time with the Odo scroll but that's not too much to ask.

7.75/10

Edited by Dio

If Halvan can't gain 6 levels in the 12 chapters you have him then you probably aren't using him.

It's not that Halvan can't gain 6 levels (although you'd be surprised at how hard it is when LTCing the game); it's that those levels could have been put elsewhere, like Othin, Fin, Dagda, etc. whereas Trewd starts right off the bat at a level that is close to promotion.

Halvan also gains Swords on promotion, so he has a much better weapon choice after promotion.

Halvan gains D swords on promotion and gets no axe rank bonus. The only good D- level sword is the Elite Sword. Furthermore, lack of an axe rank bonus keeps Halvan from getting closer to Silver Axes and Master Axes. Trewd, meanwhile, can use a Silver Sword, any of the magic swords, a King Sword, a Brave Sword, etc. right off the bat, and promotion pushes him to the rank for Master Sword and Sleep Sword. When it comes to usable weapons, Trewd wins in pretty much every way (except for the Brave Axe, but the Brave Sword is pretty damn good, too).

Plus, it's much easier for Halvan to have 1-2 range in the form of Hand Axes then for Trewd to compete for a magic sword for ranged options.

But you'd only give Trewd a magic sword if he needs it - you can't just deny him one because you don't like him. And sure, Trewd's mag is total ass, but 15 atk with the Fire Sword as a swordmaster hitting nonexistent mag stats doesn't do much less (it may even do more) than 20+ atk with the Hand Axe hitting def, and the former also has 25 more hit.

Really, in an indoor map (which is where Trewd relatively excels), who else is going to use your magic swords? Most of the alternatives have 6 or fewer move due to dismounting, like Dean and Eyrios.

You're also likely going to use a better boss killer than Trewd when you have to kill someone and you probably won't use Halvan either.

Trewd is one of those units that can face Elf without getting instantly killed on the counter, or face berserkers while ignoring Wrath.

It's not that Halvan can't gain 6 levels (although you'd be surprised at how hard it is when LTCing the game); it's that those levels could have been put elsewhere, like Othin, Fin, Dagda, etc. whereas Trewd starts right off the bat at a level that is close to promotion.

Why would you give Dagda levels? His growths are ass. Obviously he's good so he's going to get a decent number of kills. Maybe it's just the way you phrased the sentence, but I don't see any benefit to actually giving Dagda levels.