should I play Final Fantasy?

whase

many times people told me, because I like FE, I should try playing FF. they say I'd like it.

now I ask you, as part of the FE community, which part should I try? I don't want to be scared away from the game by starting off with the worst part...

What generation of gamer are you? The series has a few different points where certain kinds of gamers will have more fun than others. If you're more into Tales of shit games, you probably want to start later in the series. If you're more into JRPGs, start earlier. If you like a certain kind of "serious" story, FF7, FF8, and FF12 are good choice. The last one is basically Star Wars if Square Enix made it :p

My personal favorite is Final Fantasy VI, but the series as a whole is excellent. Unlike in FE, though, the gameplay is less consistant from title to title, with the earliest games being turn and round based, while the later ones favor an action battle system. The entire main series (that is to say the numbered FF titles) are available on systems from the Gamebay Advance era forward, though the difficulty level on certain ports and remakes has been lowered greatly from the original release. There's no bad title. If you're looking for something closer to FE's gameplay, check out the spinoff series Final Fantasy Tactics, which combines classic RPG elements with those of a grid-based strategy game.

Edited by Mystical Mermaid

Hmm I don't really know what fire emblem has to do with final fantasy, but final fantasy is still a good series.

I'm still a newcomer to the series, so I might not be the best person to answer your question, but I would start with 6. Its the one I started with and so far my favorite.

A lot of people would say 7 is the best, but I never owned a playstation console, so I don't know about that. I played 5 and 6 on the advance, 4 on the ds and 13 on the 360.

Btw Celice, whats wrong with the tales games?

Edited by Sasori

They aren't very compelling or fun for me, is all :E

Oh yeah, Final Fantasy has spun off into fuck-tons of directions, so it might help to know if you're wanting to play a Final Fantasy Final Fantasy, or a spin-off Final Fantasy.

i only read the topic title and my answer is yes

i'm an old school gayme whore so i would recommend ff6 here since it's the inbetween child that incorporates a healthy dose of the old and the new

In my opinion, the FF series is decent, but overrated.

Liking FE does not equal liking FF. FF is pretty standard JRPG fare, whereas FE is an S-RPG series. That's a difference.

If you want a tactical FF game, go with Final Fantasy Tactics (Advance/A2), those are (a bit) more similar to FE.

Otherwise, I've only played the first six games, but to sum it up:

FF1 (GBA Remake): Stupidly easy, hardly any story, not very interesting overall. Probably not worth your time.

FF2 (GBA Remake): Has an interesting leveling mechanic, though that potentially makes it a bit grindy. The game's plenty beatable without a lot of grinding, though. Interesting.

FF3 (DS Remake): Pretty hard and absurdly grindy near the end. Rather plain story. Good game beyond that.

FF4 (GBA Remake): Stupidly hard, boring story, no interesting gameplay mechanics. Personally don't like this one.

FF5 (GBA Remake): Challenging (in a good way), interesting gameplay mechanics (job system!), moderately okay-ish story (it keeps you on your toes, at least). Solid game all-around, probably my favourite in the series.

FF6 (GBA Remake): Very easy unless you're keeping your level low on purpose. Takes a while to get going and really become interesting. Then is a good game for a while... ...until you get Ultima/Quick (or any other broken spell or equipment) and completely break the game. Overall decent, but has its share of issues.

tl;dr: FF5 definitely worth playing; FF2/3/6 can be worth your time; don't expect too much from FF1/4.

Dont start with 9. It has easter eggs and references from all of the preceding games that you wouldnt get.

1, 2, and 3 have their issues. 4-8 are all good. 10 and 12 are good too. Honestly you could start with any of them. Unlike FE the gameplay mechanics of FF are completely different with each installment.

If you dont mind grinding, go with 1-6. If you want to play quickly without needing to grind go with 7-10, or 12.

Dont play 9 until you've at least played a few of 1-6. It will make the experience a little better.

It really depends on what kind of game do you favour... I'll list out the better ones (in my opinion) and their differences

1,2. They haven't aged well despite success at the time.

3. The DS remake offers some new features. The story is nearly non-existent though so I wouldn't recommend this to start off.

4: DS remake is better than the original. The story is decent and difficulty somewhat high in FF standards. Kind of an old school JRPG.

5: GBA remake. The graphics may not appeal to the newer generation, but the game itself is good.

6. GBA remake. One of the best in my opinion. Once again the graphics may not appeal to younger gamers, but the story is dark and gripping, the characters are distinctive and the gameplay is fun. You should probably start with this if you are more interested in story.

7. The most famous of the bunch, being the first in the series to foray into 3D. A good game all around, you should probably start with this if you want to familiarize with the characters and cultures, plus awesome music.

8. Very similar to 7 in its soul, but with graphics and gameplay overhaul.

9. Like previously mentioned it's an easter egg game that pays tribute to classic JRPG. Probably my favourite of the franchise, though it's definitely not a good starting point. It would still be a good game if you play now, but the soul won't be there.

10. Kind of mediocre in many aspects, though it does offer good graphics. If that's your thing this should be where you start. Also offers more grindy sidequests than others.

Tactics/Tactics Advance 1/2. Worth your time if you like Fire Emblem.

Edited by nano

It really depends on what kind of game do you favour... I'll list out the better ones (in my opinion) and their differences

1,2. They haven't aged well despite success at the time.

I LOVE 1 & 2. They're my favorites in the series.

Other than that, I really liked Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube. That was fun if you had friends.

Pick your Poison

FF1) Definition of Oldschool JRPG, what is this story thing you talk of

FE2) minmaxing game of my dreams, medicore story

FE3) Fuck the story I wanna be "insert random job name". Also annoying dungeons where you have to turn to a frog -.-

FE4) Very good story, bare boned system

FE5) Bad story, Good system

FE6) Very Good story, bit bare system, This thing

FE7) So much hyped story, ok system, has not aged well, big fucking swords fetish, big god damn bumbers

FE8)

FE9) As long as furry characters don't scare you, you like the feeling man. Also nice yet bare system

FE10) Annoying characters, Liners as hell story, Annoying graphics. One of the better battle systems

FE10-2) Fanservice

FE11) WoW, the hipster version.

FE12) WoW without the other players

FE13) I have no idea

You should definitely play Final Fantasy!

FF1: No real story but it is a classic and fun jrpg. Go with the PS1 version (Origins).

FF2: Cliche plot but the gameplay is fun. You are forced to grind and there is a bit of learning curve but it is still really good. Again, go with the PS1 version (Origins).

FF3: Story is bare and sucks but it is a pretty decent game. I prefer the NES version.

FF4: Wonderful story and one of the best FF in my opinion. :P I like the PSP version most (The Complete Collection).

FF4 - The After Years: Story isn't that great and you're all over the place but I think it is a really fun game, especially if you liked FF4. Again, go with the PSP version (The Complete Collection).

FF5: Story is alright but the gameplay is pretty good. Has a job system like FF3 but it is way better done. I like the GBA version because you get more jobs and an extra dungeon.

FF6: Another amazing story with a crazy clown villian so it is definitely worth checking out. It is one of my faves as well. :P I also prefer the GBA version because again, there are extras.

FF7: Over-rated as balls but it is a good game. Like Shoptimus said, it hasn't aged well . :P

FF8: Didn't play.

FF9: I didn't think the story was that great but the gameplay was super fun.

FF10: I liked the story and the battle system is really good.

FF10-2: Skipped this one.

FF11: I don't like MMOs so I skipped it.

FF12: I tried playing it but I didn't like it either because of the MMO-esque battle mechanics.

FF13: The story is poorly told and it is very linear but the areas are beautiful and the battle system is neat. I thought the characters were entertaining as well.

FF13-2: Haven't tried it yet!

FF14: See FF11. xP

And just for shits!

FF - The 4 Heroes of Light: A pretty old-school jrpg in modern times; it was pretty fun.

FE3) Fuck the story I wanna be "insert random job name". Also annoying dungeons where you have to turn to a frog -.-

No you don't. You only need to be a frog to enter the dungeon. You change back afterwards. There are places where you have to be small, though. That's a pain.

I've only played a handful, and as much as I heart 13, I wouldn't recommend it to first-time players. My entry point was 6, and it was the first game I played for eight hours straight. I am extremely fond of 9, because it somehow blends dark and cute. Wasn't too fond of 7, though.

many times people told me, because I like FE, I should try playing FF. they say I'd like it.

now I ask you, as part of the FE community, which part should I try? I don't want to be scared away from the game by starting off with the worst part...

As someone who has played everything that has a Final Fantasy nametag on it, even the ones that aren't actually Final Fantasy (like Legends and Adventures), I'd definitely recommend you try at least some of them out. They are greatly indicative of their generations, and generally shining examples of JRPGs, with various fans squabbling over which later titles suck because of this or that reason.

The general thing is this: All of the Final Fantasy games' worlds are interdependent from one another, save for ones that are direct sequels such as Final Fantasy X-2 and Final Fantasy XIII-2*. In other words, You can actually play any of them and enjoy yourself, as the stories are all original; in addition, character archetypes and even the battle systems are generally changed in each iteration, making each title in the series new in most fashions. Each title in the series, however, does generally build upon themes and conventions from earlier titles, so a new player would of course miss this, for better or worse. For example, every main (as in numeral) Final Fantasy title since Final Fantasy II has featured a side character that goes by the name of Cid.

If I had to recommend where to start, I suppose I would vote for the most accessible, yet still complex of the titles, which is Final Fantasy VII. It was widely regarded as one of --if not the-- best RPGs ever made, and still is by many today. In addition, until XIII came out it was generally regarded to be the easiest to play for newcomers. Finally, it's very easy to obtain at a cheap price on any PS3 or PSP for a meager $10, without any need for any emulation or anything. So it's a perfect place to start. Then, if you feel like continuing them, you will at least have a feel for some of the themes and naming conventions common to the series.

There is one exception, in that Final Fantasy X-2 and thus X is supposed to be a far-flung precursor to Final Fantasy VII as referenced by one creator. However, it is absurdly stupid and not supported by any actual evidence and is ignored by everyone as the jaw-dropping stupidity that it is. So it doesn't count.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

Pick your Poison

FF1) Definition of Oldschool JRPG, what is this story thing you talk of

FE2) minmaxing game of my dreams, medicore story

FE4) Very good story, bare boned system

FE5) Bad story, Good system

FE6) Very Good story, bit bare system, This thing

FE7) So much hyped story, ok system, has not aged well, big fucking swords fetish, big god damn bumbers

FE8)

FE9) As long as furry characters don't scare you, you like the feeling man. Also nice yet bare system

FE10) Annoying characters, Liners as hell story, Annoying graphics. One of the better battle systems

FE10-2) Fanservice

FE11) WoW, the hipster version.

FE12) WoW without the other players

FE13) I have no idea

It's funny that you accidentally said FE instead of FF, because half of those points actually match up to Fire Emblem too.