7/26- Ike

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PoR Ike wasn't musclebound, though.

I guess you could say they were basing it on PoR Ike, but even then he seems too slender. Look at what you can see of Ike's arm in this photo:

Fepr-ike.jpg

I dunno, maybe it's just me :\

Edited by Cosmic_Harold

Oh, I don't disagree that he looks even more slender than PoR Ike, to ridiculous proportions. :P Just pointing it out that Ike wasn't always some musclebound guy.

I don't think he looks noticeably skinnier than FE9 Ike. It's just that you can't see his muscles as directly because his forearms are covered.

Coming from an art perspective, no he is not too skinny. It's his head. It's just too large, which makes his body look off. Along with that, the hips and leg placement are jacked up, and the perspective is very incorrect (see the cape in the weird pose and his right arm.)

313px-Hero_of_blue_flames.png

doesn't that picture ring a bell to you Othin, because this pose is truer to Ike design.

The "fixed" version doesn't look like that. It's hips were off and shoulder alignment didn't make sense. You can't properly fix something that's broken like that without redoing the torso.

EDIT:

I guess you could say they were basing it on PoR Ike, but even then he seems too slender. Look at what you can see of Ike's arm in this photo:

Fepr-ike.jpg

I dunno, maybe it's just me :\

The reason that the PoR Ike looks more buff is because the artist sucks at proportioning. The head is WAY too tiny and the legs are ridiculously long. It doesn't match human proportioning at all.

FE actually has a bad history with proportioning.... Awakening is way better, though.

Edited by LegendaryHero0

FE actually has a bad history with proportioning.... Awakening is way better, though.

Have you seen the official art?

Their legs and poses in general look odd/deformed.

Then again it's animu. It's to be expected.

Have you seen the official art?

Their legs and poses in general look odd/deformed.

Then again it's animu. It's to be expected.

For awakening? No, it's far better. The proportions match up realistically. I've seen all the official art and so far, none of it is messed up.

What exactly are you referring to?

EDIT:

ACTUALLY.. come to think of it, there is one example where it's screwed up. Frederick's proposal picture has him with wonky proportions. But aside from that, I can't think of any that are incorrect that aren't meant to be (like Fauder..)

Edited by LegendaryHero0

Coming from an art perspective, no he is not too skinny. It's his head. It's just too large, which makes his body look off. Along with that, the hips and leg placement are jacked up, and the perspective is very incorrect (see the cape in the weird pose and his right arm.)

[...]

The reason that the PoR Ike looks more buff is because the artist sucks at proportioning. The head is WAY too tiny and the legs are ridiculously long. It doesn't match human proportioning at all.

For heaven's sake, we see this kind of proportioning in anime all the time and nobody calls the animators up on it. And in case you hadn't noticed, the vast majority of games in the Fire Emblem series use anime-style artwork. And I can't say I agree that the head is too small on PoR Ike. It might look it to you because his clothes make his torso look thicker. But really, why care? Why does a 2D cartoon drawing have to match human proportions?

For the record, and this isn't aimed at the comment I'm replying to, but at everyone who's been acting like it's the end of the world throughout this whole DLC thing, I like Ike's new artwork. In fact, I like all of the DLC artwork. I'm open to all kinds of art styles (just look at a collection of famous portraits and you'll know that whether or not a sword should be before or behind a person's knee would matter very little to a lot of the artists), and I'm bearing in mind that they're all redesigns. They're supposed to look different to the characters as we know them! Look at Roy, Elincia, Cellica; they look so different from their original designs that they could get away with being different characters altogether.

Remember also that the descriptions all say "from another world", meaning that this probably isn't the same version of Ike that was in PoR and RD anyway.

For heaven's sake, we see this kind of proportioning in anime all the time and nobody calls the animators up on it. And in case you hadn't noticed, the vast majority of games in the Fire Emblem series use anime-style artwork. And I can't say I agree that the head is too small on PoR Ike. It might look it to you because his clothes make his torso look thicker. But really, why care? Why does a 2D cartoon drawing have to match human proportions?

For the record, and this isn't aimed at the comment I'm replying to, but at everyone who's been acting like it's the end of the world throughout this whole DLC thing, I like Ike's new artwork. In fact, I like all of the DLC artwork. I'm open to all kinds of art styles (just look at a collection of famous portraits and you'll know that whether or not a sword should be before or behind a person's knee would matter very little to a lot of the artists), and I'm bearing in mind that they're all redesigns. They're supposed to look different to the characters as we know them! Look at Roy, Elincia, Cellica; they look so different from their original designs that they could get away with being different characters altogether.

Remember also that the descriptions all say "from another world", meaning that this probably isn't the same version of Ike that was in PoR and RD anyway.

body%20human%20proportions.jpg?m=1323283049

That is proper human proportioning. As you can clearly see, PoR Ike has way too long of legs. It doesn't "look it to me", it IS.

Why does it have to be realistic? It doesn't. However people were claiming that the new design is way too skinny, but that's not true according to realistic proportions, just that the head is too big. My point was never that FE had to match up perfectly, but that it didn't.

Also, we can reasonably say that the artist's goal IS to match up correctly but that's neither here nor there.

I'm not too fond of the redesign, but I do agree that they are supposed to look different. However, it's reasonable to expect that their goal is to still capture the character in question. While the design, strictly speaking, is fine, the actual art isn't that great in terms of posture and positioning.

EDIT:

I don't know where you're learning your proportions from, but http://serenesforest...ite/chara03.jpg is far from realistic.

Far from? No not at all. It's stylized to be skinnier than normal, (and not even that much), but it matches pretty accurately with a young girl.

http://www.idrawdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/prop2.jpg

While not a girl, you can see that the torso is dramatically skinnier at a younger age. The height is about right, the head size isn't too off. Really the only "flaw" is the stylized skinniness.

Edited by LegendaryHero0

It's a matter of stylisation. Anime-style artists often take a bit of liberties with the proportioning and as long as it looks alright, there's no issue with it. This is on the grounds that the artist actually studied human anatomy enough to make such modifications work. Then there's blatant errors that really can't be passed off as stylisation. FE8/9/10/12 and most of awakening's artwork is the former. FE6/11 and some of the less well-done DLC is the latter.

Elongation of the legs is very commonly done as a stylisation. I don't see why PoR's art and Awakening's stylisation choices should be treated differently, since both are unrealistic anyway.

Edited by Zhuge Liang

As you can clearly see, PoR Ike has way too long of legs. It doesn't "look it to me", it IS.

I agree his legs aren't realistic. I was just talking about his head. Again, though, I say it really matters very little.

It's a matter of stylisation. Anime-style artists often take a bit of liberties with the proportioning and as long as it looks alright, there's no issue with it. This is on the grounds that the artist actually studied human anatomy enough to make such modifications work. Then there's blatant errors that really can't be passed off as stylisation. FE8/9/10/12 and most of awakening's artwork is the former. FE6/11 and some of the less well-done DLC is the latter.

You're arguing an incorrect point.

My point is not that it's wrong because it doesn't match up perfectly, my point is that realistically, the new artwork is NOT too skinny compared to PoR, but that the head shape and the proportions make it seem that way.

You're arguing an incorrect point.

My point is not that it's wrong because it doesn't match up perfectly, my point is that realistically, the new artwork is NOT too skinny compared to PoR, but that the head shape and the proportions make it seem that way.

This is good, I think I'm starting to like you a bit more now.

EDIT: LegendaryHero0, when you mentioned the legs on PoR!Ike being too long, were you talking about that in relation to Ike's head, or as a separate issue to the head (just in relation to the torso and arms)? Because I was on about the latter and I'm starting to think maybe I got a bit confused about your point there. This isn't me getting all technical about proportions, I just think I might have argued that particular point when I didn't mean to.

Edited by Murdok Dracul

This is good, I think I'm starting to like you a bit more now.

EDIT: LegendaryHero0, when you mentioned the legs on PoR!Ike being too long, were you talking about that in relation to Ike's head, or as a separate issue to the head (just in relation to the torso and arms)? Because I was on about the latter and I'm starting to think maybe I got a bit confused about your point there. This isn't me getting all technical about proportions, I just think I might have argued that particular point when I didn't mean to.

Haha, well thank you.

But yeah it was meant to be the former. I mean, proportionally it IS too long compared to real life, but for stylized anime, that's not as big of an issue. I should have summed it up in a more concise point, so i apologize for the confusion.