Scrabble Tips

MacLovin

So, I've entered some kinda inter-school competition for Scrabble and I'm wondering if there are any more tips on how to get better at it.

Aside from use as many 2-3-4 letter words as possible and use the rare letters like Z/Y/W/Q/etc.

Know how to fit words into tight spaces. Small boxes on the gameboard are annoying to play in, but there are good points to be had there most of the time.

Try and hit the point increasing spaces. Similarly, try to make it harder for others to hit the point increasing spaces.

The 2-letter word list is something like 40 long, that's what, fifteen minutes of memorisation, tops. Worth it, you think? (Half of them are obscure but count for points anyway, and you already know the other half.) The 3-letter list is several hundred long, I think.

If you want to practice, find that game which gives you a word to shuffle and make more words out of. I forget what it's called. Anagrams are great practice.

Know when to use a short word, and know when to swing for game. Hitting a seven-letter word on a triple word score counts as game (I did that to my mom, and she still hasn't forgiven me).