(Serenes Forest Mafia) General Discussion

Psych

SK is fun to play, just difficult. In fact I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they dislike playing SK? Only if they roll it a bunch of times in a row, but that's with any alignment really.

@Randa- nobody thinks there's a cult; we're still joking

Edited by BigPlaysMeteor

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but even then usually games that rely on SKs for balance lose any balance whatsoever when the SK goes down. Also the person playing as the SK will have a really difficult time trying to win considering its 1 v everyone. Basically it isn't really fun for anyone because everyone else just has to deal with another role that kills people and setups aren't balanced independent of the SK.

Now as I said, Mentor/Mentee or a Cult with limited recruits would be interesting and neat to play as. Angels and Lynchers might also be a good idea for some setups.

If you're trying to add an SK to 'balance' your game, you're only making an unbalanced game worse.

SKs are a faction like any other, the game should be balanced around their inclusion, they are not a balancing factor at all.

Edited by Haze

generally large games that are balanced around a SK become awkward if the SK dies early no matter how balanced they are, or if, say, the hooker blocks the SK n1 and the SK freaks out and decides to idle until d5 while scum fails their kills

not bitter though!

generally large games that are balanced around a SK become awkward if the SK dies early no matter how balanced they are, or if, say, the hooker blocks the SK n1 and the SK freaks out and decides to idle until d5 while scum fails their kills

not bitter though!

No idea what that's like. In what world would an SK idle kills for 3 nights?

>.>

<.<

It's not like the SK was scanned as a Doc or anything, and lynched over an unscanned vig

Edited by Elieson

should've been less scummy

and yeah don't put in SKs to nerf town, if you think town is too strong just nerf town/buff scum, don't add an SK

you put in wolves because they're really fun to make and play (unless you have no soul)

Edited by Paperblade

so im doing that thing other people did

Jester Vengeful-Lynchproof 1-Shot Lightningrod (Trainwreck): this sure was a role in trainwreck mafia. RIP snike. the funny thing was when it was obvious shinori was a jester in a game with multiple vigs but nobody ever did anything about it, at all

1-Shot Deathproof Insomniac Friendly Neighbor Compelling Survivor (Trainwreck): this too, the compelling thing was to fuck with the jester and a bunch of other trainwrecky roles, which turned out hilariously when scum drove the lightningrod with psych N1. manix's "THE MOD CAN MODKILL YOU AT ANY TIME" modifier was at first a last minute thing to give him incentive to actually play but then it just became a running joke. in hindsight this set-up was probably scumsided even without the kalas modkill and i shouldn't have had both this and the jester but hey, Trainwreck Mafia

Reimu Hakurei, Serial Killer (Spellcard): i explained the basis for reimu's design in postgame. overall i think boron played the role well and it did everything i wanted to, including causing chaos with the daykills out of nowhere. even if it was really strong, it was one man/anime girl vs 23 other players and boron definitely deserved her win, so GJ

Aya Syameimaru, Reporter (Spellcard): i explained this one postgame too (it was supposed to be a survivor with actual incentive to survive that wouldn't fuck up LYLO numbers) and it didn't turn out nearly as well. sorry strege. to be fair you probably could've pushed claiming / using cards a bit harder but ultimately the loss was just due to town not playing how the mod expected them to play

Sailor Waddle Dee, Hated Serial Killer (Kirby): i wanted a SK instead of a 4-man scumteam to help eliminate town's more powerful roles and potential clears from the distribution faster. however kirsche got TOTALLY FUCKED by the role assignment process, gg weapons. this never came into play but i probably should have given him a passive BP as part of the role because geez

Minecraft, Serial Killer (CY'OR): also stated in postgame, the crafting gimmick was a total last-minute thing based on elie's character choice, originally the sk was just a jack of all kills type deal. anyway I made the SK a doc (but with incentive to use his role) because aside from claim WIFOM it was a large game and I didn't want town to stop the flow of kills and that sure turned out well lmao

Edited by Prims

I've only hosted one game with KEFKA as the Day SK.

Yeah that went well. Should've given scorri a BPV as well ;-; (Numbers claim went well as I expected gg)

1-Shot Deathproof Insomniac Friendly Neighbor Compelling Survivor (Trainwreck): this too, the compelling thing was to fuck with the jester and a bunch of other trainwrecky roles, which turned out hilariously when scum drove the lightningrod with psych N1.

Best drive ever.

The only other third party role I remember having in my setups aside from lyncher Shin is the arsonist from Folgore Rangers mafia. Of course, it took us forever to balance and even when the game was running I wasn't exactly happy about it. Still ended up winning the game. But never again.

also, don't mean to hijack the ITP discussion, but how do you guys feel about a role madness game where everybody has a role, but alongside the lynch town votes on two action classes each day and only actions of those classes can be used for that night and the following day phase

it'd basically be like semi-precious where everybody's a power role in theory but in effect the power isn't constant while still not being centralized

the main problem is that town can't really pick classes strategically without massclaim but it might be fun anyway so IDK

the system i had for class voting is that the top two at the end of the day are picked, but town can "hammer" one class option early to set it in stone and extend the day 24 hours

i already have the set-up finished and everything and would probably host it over pictures of dogs if there's more interest in this than a vanilla set-up. just not sure if it people think it'd be fun

Edited by Prims

I'd probably play that setup if it runs at a time that works for me, but what exactly do you mean by "action classes"? Do you mean something like town votes on whether they can use investigative or protective roles that night phase or something like that?

I forgot the part where I actually explain that because I write my posts out of order.

Town has 6 potential classes (fire, water, wind, earth, holy, dark), most actions are linked to one of those classes.

Only actions that are linked to town's current two classes can be used.

I forgot the part where I actually explain that because I write my posts out of order.

Town has 6 potential classes (fire, water, wind, earth, holy, dark), most actions are linked to one of those classes.

Only actions that are linked to town's current two classes can be used.

That makes a bit more sense, I guess. Either way, I'd probably play that game if it were at a good time for me.

Or it's Chrono Cross mafia because the game doesn't care about giving it's characters flavor either

SO BANDWAGON TIME

Shining Force 2 Mafia

• Multiball so it doesn't really count

Everyone Is Mafia Mafia v2.0 & v2.1

• Lol this doesn't count either

Battle City Finals Mafia

• Yami Bakura: Lyncher Mayor (with LPV Piercing Vote)

My first game, so kinda lol, but essentially had to flavorhunt to find Yugi, then had to get him lynched, not killed outright. In hindsight, a strong town presence on the Yugi slot could've gotten him NK'd, but the Deathproof was there to prevent that.

Toonami Mafia

• Yu-gi-oh!: Lynchproof 3x Role Recharger Survivor (cannot target same user more than once)
  • Cowboy Bebop: Bounty Hunter (Bulletproof Bounty Checker SK) (Wincon - collect bounties equating to $1,000,000 by killing more popular serieses.)

The YGO role was meant to be able to side with either alliance, and Bebop was meant to play a the game by himself, with a lemon twist, kind of like Drafters. His ability to check the value of other players meant that he wasn't just blindly guessing at things, but the fact that his role was the flavorhunter of the game just seemed like a unique concept, and Snike did it well. J00 did fine as YGO I thought, though lategame, shit just got confusing.

Apparently I've hosted a bunch of games, just only these two with wonky ITPs (anonydraft, mlp, cyoc and fe6 didn't have anything beyond Town v Maf). Dang I'm boring

I really did like the Bebop role though. Props to Helios for co-developing that

Edited by Elieson

I thought the Bounty Hunter role was cool but it also really promoted jointing which was swingy when the game already had a survivor (you can see how that turned out).

Twitch Plays Pokemon Mafia

I don't always play mafia games

But when I do, they have ridiculous themes that I can back

also if anybody will definitely not play in qprogue mafia but also is experienced enough with designing gimmick games (so basically manix) and can review thatd be cool

ill probably just let people vote which set-up they want to play more between this and pictures of dogs when my turn on the small queue comes up

Edited by Prims