Fire Emblem 4 No Repairs Run

Refa

You know, there have been a lot of playthroughs recently. I was feeling a bit left out! I haven't beaten FE6 HM, so that might be interesting, but nah, too many FE6 runs. Hey, I know a lot about FE7/FE8, but I have no interest in playing those! Yet again, my inattentive brain is my downfall. At one point, I was even thinking FE5, but Dio got to it before me. Then it hit me like a spark; Fire Emblem 4!

[spoiler=Prologue]
maY7e.png

I've thought about a run such as this a while back, but shelved it because...I dunno, I just didn't feel like playing FE4 at the time. But anyways, I'm not even sure if such a run is possible (if you hadn't guessed, the challenge of this run is to beat it without repairing any weapons). I may need to make some exceptions later on! But seeing if the game is beatable without repairing a single weapon is something that interests me, and I hope it'll interest you, the reader, too. So without any more walls of text to type, let's get on with the playthrough.

TsIG4.png

I have a feeling this guy is going to get a lot of use in this playthrough. He's motherfucking Sigurd, if anyone can prove this run true, it's him.

aD4YJ.png

People say he's not as good as Alec, and I won't deny that perhaps he would appreciate Pursuit. However, in this run, his increased damage will definitely make him more valuable than Alec at least. Also he's a better role model.

Bkgaf.png

Alec relies on a lot of weapon uses to get the most out of him, so I'm kind of shaky on how helpful he'll be. I might even dump him after prologue.

DJKnU.png

Hahaha Arden. Wierdly enough, he might occupy some bizzaro sort of niche in this challenge, being able to use bows and axes after promotion. Wait, Lachesis can do that too, poor Arden.

v33ye.png

Being my only axe user for the majority of Gen 1 definetely makes Lex even more awesome than he was before. Welcome to the team, Abe-San bro.

LFy8F.png

Azel is in a very similar position, being one of my few early magic users. Dunno how much use he'll get later on though.

Cplq2.png

Oh gameplay, right. I'm having Noish and Alec take topside, which should have relatively few enemies, thus saving those precious item uses.

2wN0i.png

Sigurd does what Sigurd does, which is soloing the bottom portion, although he will get some help from Fin and Ethlin later on.

dswFA.png

Meanwhile, Azel and Lex will be busy dealing with the numerous enemies around their spawnpoint.

quGLW.png

Hey, you guys finally showed up!

oMNbg.png

Cuan's massive STR will definetely be a boon to the cause. I also have one other use for him that will become apparent later on...but for now, standard strong mount.

GzhBQ.png

Ethlin is my first healer, however using her in combat is a real drain on the weapon uses, so while I'll definetely feed her kills when given the chance, she might be more relegated to a support unit.

Pqibq.png

Fin will of course, get all the EXP. Gotta save those Gen 2 weapon uses!

pCMes.png

Not sure how useful money is in such a run, but might as well save all of it from certain extinction.

RDXeT.png

I've been feeding all of these kills to Azel, because little bugger has a hard time getting EXP. Azel ORKOes all of these chumps, save for this one Hand Axe goon, which is why Lex is weakening him in the first place.

Tq5bx.png

I attempt to go for the lover crit to save uses....will it work?

mtpYN.png

Oh well.

0v1qq.png

Arden's chip on the last turn weakens these dudes into KO range for Fin, so I think that's just what I'll do (and if they decide to suicide themselves on Cuan, he KOes them too).

kg0y4.png

I also make an effort to use Iron Lance whenever possible, as while Steel Sword isn't the most valuable thing ever, it'll be much more useful later on than a smelly ol' Iron Lance.

INqmo.png

RESET

SqwHD.png

Noish procced Charge this time, which saved me some time. Nice going Noish, that +HP +SKL + DEF level wasn't bad either.

rNKDf.png

Wow, he dodged a 77%...That just goes to show how good Fin is except for the time that he died but I retconned that and so should you.

OW9qY.png

Well, you can't get lucky without being equally unlucky, now can you? Or at least I sure as hell can't.

01ROH.png

Sad thing was, that was a critical.

MGN5M.png

Azel can take the punishment and dish it out twicefold! Also +HP +MAG +SPD +DEF is basically the best level ever without the toppings of the other lesser stats.

FfMAQ.png

He's so almost dead, even Ethlin could push him over the edge! In fact, I think I'll do just that.

sSAgD.png

As you can see, my elaborate strategy of sending Alec, Noish, and Cuan through the middle has been utterly, completely, entirely, literally []ly forgotten.

er7Fb.png

Leaf needs the money.

1FqJe.png

Therefore, I must save all of the villages for great justice! And tribute!

pli7C.png

Iron Lance Sigurd can not only cleanly 1RKO these guys, but also save me some Steel Sword uses. Yay for this bizzaro type of efficiency!

UAC4P.png

Ardan and Noish do some teamwork of their own to save the Speed Ring village, which canonically goes to Fin, OF COURSE.

Brjuz.png

Sigurd gets a quick tuneup before the boss. After all, he loses his psuedo-invincibility when he has lances equipped.

FriYo.png

Azel saves the day! Again!

blyMJ.png

Cuan chips...

0BZRo.png

And Sigurd takes the-

6YrhJ.png

Well, what do you know. Saved me all of one Steel Sword use!

Oaxo2.png

Castle = Castle + Seized!

UNyO0.png

I dunno how much I'll use Midir when I have two other bow users who kill shit faster (parameter wise)...still, he is a better father than Jamka, I'll deliberate on it.

PRO STRATEGY

dx7nH.png

After Ethlin visited all of the villages (did I mention this wasn't efficient in any sort of way, because that's something that needs to be mentioned), I set her up here for the sibling crit.

Ga8Mj.png

BEAUTIFUL (a clean 1RKO with Silver Sword)

But before we end this update, let's go over something that will be much changed in this style of challenge....before chapter arenaing! In any other type of run, there was absolutely no reason not to go to the arena! Here, this is not the case, it's actually somewhat of an investment. I opt to have Sigurd and Cuan not use the arena, because they're both powerful enough without it, and Sigurd will hit level 30 naturally. Ethlin is too weak and wastes far too many uses, so she's out of the running too. Arden is kind of not going to see much use, so he'll be missing out as well.

MpgEn.png

Noish does impressive damage, and at the same time could use the levels, so I got him all the way to arena 5.

uYpWC.png

I do really like Alec, so despite my doubts about how useful he'll be, I decide to take him to at least Arena 4, where he can't even take the swordfighter (4HKOes with Slim), so his run stops there.

1CRMz.png

Fin gets to 5, where I stop because a) that axe armour takes way too many uses to kill, and b) it's a pain getting Fin past that fight.

yJy0u.png

Lex ends at 4, less because of uses (which I couldn't care less about when it comes to axes), and more because swordfighter just destroys him.

zoUIy.png

Guess who else ended at 4 and why? Fire tome I'm not too concerned about losing, so I'm planning to make the most of it.

mjx2e.png

Midir got to 3 because he needed to burn some RNs for Fin.

Next time; Chapter 1!
Name   Class         Level HP STR MAG SKL SPD LCK DEF RES Items
Sigurd Lord Knight   09.08 40 16  00  12  13  10  13  03  Silver Sword (48), Steel Sword (37), 
                                                          Iron Lance (32)
Noish  Social Knight 06.41 35 12  00  08  08  05  10  00  Steel Sword (38), Iron Lance (42)
Alec   Social Knight 03.29 32 10  00  10  10  04  08  00  Slim Sword (43), Iron Sword (38)
Arden  Sword Armour  03.32 36 13  00  05  04  03  13  00  Iron Sword (46)
Fin    Lance Knight  03.64 33 09  00  08  16* 09  07  00  Steel Lance (35), Javelin (50)
Cuan   Duke Knight   04.64 34 16  00  10  10  05  10  03  Iron Lance (43), Javelin (50)
Midir  Bow Knight    02.62 32 09  00  07  09  03  07  00  Iron Bow (44)
Azel   Mage          03.66 32 11  00  07  11  02  03  06  Fire (35)
Lex    Axe Knight    06.86 35 11  00  10  11  08  10  00  Steel Axe (50), Iron Axe (37)
Edited by Refa

The next chapter is upon Sigurd and his compatriots! Can they make it through with sufficient weapon uses, or will they be lying dead in a heap, deeply regretting the day they chose to fire the repairman?

Of course it's option one, this is only the second chapter, but just play along.

[spoiler=Chapter 1]

O3naP.png

Since turn one is really boring, and I get bored just thinking about it, let's start in media res with turn two.

More party members!

p29VR.png

Dew pillages the village, but it's OK because he's blue. Since he can give anyone on my team money should the need for it arise, I have no problem throwing some villages his way.

UWWqA.png

Sigurd can ORKO these guys with Steel, so I have the first round of enemies knock him about for a bit (although really it's the other way around), before the rest of the gang arrives to clean up the mess.

0vIxa.png

Even Ethlin got a kill! I personally am shocked.

MPlzy.png

Much as I'd love to whack this twat's face in with another unit (preferably one that can use axes if you know what I mean), Sigurd is the most reliable way of finishing this guy off and not having a death on my hands.

56rMK.png

Fin might be my only non-Sigurd unit who reliably ORKOes, which is an impressive feat in and of itself.

JL1RL.png

Might as well give him some more kills while I can, for he'll most likely get dropped next chapter.

9VvGy.png

Oh great, it's that part of the chapter.

fdl5z.png

Well, time to heal Cuan up for some unreliable chip.

5i1bI.png

That was unreliably successful!

tJmwm.png

Sigurd is awfully good at capturing other peoples' castles, I wonder who he got that from?

z1kUg.png

Oh dear god, she's going to Shooting Star Stab him to death, isn't he?

vyGQ0.png

That...went better than I expected.

SAP4Z.png

I know she's not as good as a lot of the fans say, but I'm rather fond of Ayra, not to mention the Hero Sword, so of course I'll be recruiting her.

XNwiG.png

Looking good! I'm not sure if her overkill offense will be a blessing (because less weapon uses) or a curse (because Astra), but I'm going to use her regardless.

Oh yeah, I forgot to do the writeup for Dew and Aideen, didn't I?

MZFeO.png

Aideen is hurt by the no repairs because she can't just spam Warp till promotion, but utility wise she's not much different, although she'll have to be careful with the Libro and Warp staves.

A9wQg.png

Dew is pretty lame combat wise, and the amount of uses it'd take to get him to Thief Fighter would just not be worth it. However, his moneybags will be a great asset to team.

o3S33.pngsnGhM.png

Ayra really appreciates the levels early on, so I use up quite a bit of her Iron Blade to give her some of that juicy arena EXP. She could only get to 6, but that's good enough for me.

4xMDd.png

I prosess Aideen's Return.

Skipping ahead a little...

cf4qJ.png

Noish softens up the enemies, and he's damn good at it too, I might add (the guy above him has 1HP, almost got OHKOed by Noish). Noish's survivability was helped by Fin, whose "I'm a Lance user" drew several of them towards their death by Fin.

94MJq.png

Sigurd is still king of combat, though.

oOqat.png

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about Warp! That would have been unfortunate.

FlYAC.png

She might not be the best, but she's a close second to Sigurd in my books.

Which are completely inaccurate and full of author bias, don't read them.

YOczJ.png

Such a reliable strategy.

WtRus.png

It's a one hit wonder even though it took two hits!

Now let's skip ahead to Spirit Forest.

rmv9Z.png

Oh dear, my Recruit Jamka plan seems to have gone awry.

rdFQZ.png

This should hold him off for a while.

c3K7L.png

It didn't, so I killed him. Nah, he's hiding behind Sigurd's statbox.

TE4ht.png

Jamka is no Machis, so he'll take the bait and attack Sigurd, allowing for an easy recruitment with Aideen.

RH2i2.png

He better be worth it, he sure didn't make recruiting him easy.

rG5wl.png

Wonderful bases! Wonderful skills! A wonderful bow! I think I will ditch Midir after all.

YvngA.png

He's already proving his worth!

yzoF3.png

Sigurd: "Have we met before? No, I'm not an idiot, I'm just playing hard to get."

veA0I.png

She'll be spamming Aura, for noone else in the entirety of Gen 1 can make use of it anyways. Of course, she'll need the Magic Ring to spam it to her fullest potential.

XxtT6.png

Did I mention Noish is wonderful?

AvpTd.png

I did NOT mean to aggro those dudes this early. Oh well, I'm sure I can deal with them.

Lwrqf.png

Jamka really shines her, or he would if anyone was dumb enough to attack him.

Sj57V.png

I probably should have done this earlier.

lUuH9.png

And this, too. Lex is now the proud owner of his very own Hero Axe!

n2lFO.png

And I feed the boss kill to Diadora, and that's a warp...er, wrap.

I had an elaborate arena writeup, but then I lost it, so you'll have to do without it for one chapter. I know it's soul crushing, but that's how it goes. At least I still have stats! Yes, I did recruit Holyn.

Name    Class         Level HP STR MAG SKL SPD LCK DEF RES Items
Sigurd  Lord Knight   15.27 46 21  00  14  14  12  16  03  Silver Sword (40), Steel Sword (3), Iron Sword (20), Iron Lance (23), Javelin (48)
Noish   Social Knight 10.36 38 12  00  08  10  05  11  00  Steel Sword (26), Iron Sword (38), Iron Lance (32)
Alec    Social Knight 03.96 32 10  00  10  10  04  08  00  NONE
Arden   Sword Armour  03.43 36 13  00  05  04  03  13  00  NONE
Fin     Lance Knight  09.52 37 13  00  11  18* 13  10  00  Steel Lance (45), Iron Lance (14)
Cuan    Duke Knight   08.29 39 18  00  12  12  06  13  03  Steel Lance (16), Javelin (43)
Midir   Bow Knight    03.25 32 09  00  08  10  03  07  00  NONE
Holyn   Swordfighter  12.16 40 14  00  17  17  01  11  01  Iron Blade (47)
Azel    Mage          05.38 33 11  00  09  12  02  03  06  Thunder (50), Fire (22)
Jamka   Bowfighter    10.64 40 15  00  15  17  07  12  00  Killer Bow (36), Steel Bow (42), Iron Bow (24)
Lex     Axe Knight    12.88 40 13  00  12  12  09  11  00  Hero Axe (43), Steel Axe (39), Iron Axe (30), Hand Axe (50)
Dew     Thief         03.45 28 03  01  06  16  13  02  00  Iron Sword (36)
Diadora Shaman        05.66 27 01  21* 09  12  06  04  17  Aura (43), Silence (2), Magic Ring, Circlet
Ethlin  Troubadour    04.56 31 07  08  12  13  08  04  06  Slim Sword (45), Live (36), Return (10)
Ayra    Swordfighter  11.07 35 11  00  20  20  03  09  02  Steel Blade (40), Slim Sword (32)
Aideen  Priestess     04.80 28 00  13  08  09  12  02  10  Relive (41), Warp (10)

Items Broken: Iron Blade

*counts rings and/or Holy Weapons

Edited by Refa

And because it's broken at the end of Gen 1, it doesn't get repaired when Celice gets it.

Have fun with Alvis.

Ahaha.

Actually, it DOES get repaired. On my first playthrough, I didn't have Sigurd repair it because then, I didn't know you exactly had to have the right amount of gold to repair items, so I left it broken. But when I had Celice talk to that one guy, it was good as new.

• 2 weeks later...

Belated yes, sure, why not, as long as I don't end up dying an implausible and tangentially related death because of it.

Anyways, Chapter 2 is such a long ass chapter that I'll be splitting it into two parts! I'm sure you readers can hardly contain your excitement at getting double the dose of chapter 2.

[spoiler=Chapter 2 Part 1]

KWPPC.png

My preciooooousssssssss....The Light Sword that is, not Ethlin. Not that I don't love Ethlin, of course.

XARBf.png

First turn where I can actually engage the enemy in some mano-e-mano combat and I'm already feeling like I'm boned.

8q9kH.png

That just worked out perfectly, didn't it? It's almost as if this was planned out or something, especially considering how ballz Ethlin's magic growth is and the stupendously low chance that she'll actually proc it.

5vGcV.png

Wow, for once in my"career" of playing Fire Emblem, I am genuinely impressed with my tactics.

j60lW.png

I know I need to save Light Sword uses, but it's so tempting that I just do it, the Nike way.

f12rD.png

After yet another HP/STR/SPD/DEF (this Cuan is the best one I've ever had), he acquired the mighty Silver Lance. This weapon will be most useful for this chapter, as Cuan is the only one who can use it for quite a while, so I'll have no trouble spamming it a little here or there.

eu3Fh.png

I...probably should have recruited her earlier, shouldn't I? After Heirhein, I promise!

ezSnF.png

With this formation, I hope to have Sigurd soften up the enemies with his Iron Lance, and perhaps have Cuan grab a few kills of his own, before sending in my main force to finish the fight.

YPsSC.png

At least he's not dead!

PbMUH.png5b6YQ.png

Noish crits are a thing of beauty.

ywtLU.png

Wow, Cuan is even more ridiculous than I previously thought; and I thought he was plenty ridiculous enough, you all read me!

Now let's warp skip to faraway times...or a few turns ahead, if you want to get technical about it.

R4uMP.png

Since these armours are unusually bulky, I'm going to have to have Sigurd waste a turn chipping this guy. I just hope I can kill the boss in one round as planned.

HUbbt.png

Cuan takes the lead...

4GdKi.png

Fin burns some RNs...

xUFPi.png

Ethlin does some chip with that super valuable sword that I have much grander plans for but Great Shield forced my hand...

GWrsa.png

And bada-bing, we've got ourselves one dead boss!

1GU6c.png

My castle!

UnkpY.png

Reinforcements! Man, without you guys, those villages would be so boned.

BqxdJ.png

Levin's bases are ridiculously good (especially for his level), not to mention he has the one-up on any other land magic user with his 6 base move. Of course he's going to be incredibly useful.

QlFnp.png

She has the power of dance! Weapons are meaningless to her, so this run doesn't really affect her much at all. Of course, I'm sure I can put her Slim Sword to good use elsewhere...

KPS70.png

It's that time you've all been waiting for.

crBw6.png

HERO TIME

9HGdX.png

Let's get Lex to help out too, that army is lacking a bulky axe dude, and Lex fills that niche perfectly.

hRDH9.png

Oh no, Voltz is attacking, whatever will we do, eta eta.

W9Jb4.png

This guy is actually rather tough! It's almost infuriating.

ZMIi8.png

My body is ready.

dPDK1.png

Thank god for that Continue proc, I was so close to missing Bargain.

vuLae.png

Time to get a new member for the holy cause.

DEN4i.png

Wow, his stats are much better than I thought. He's basically Alec combined with Noish, except he can't use lances but swords are way better anyways (although in higher demand, which could be a problem). I think I'll pair him up with Lachesis, I've never done that before.

vKFGm.png

Thank god for Fin. He'd usually need a Hero Lance (he's wielding Steel at the moment), but Cuan's chip is that good.

p87Bp.png

Doesn't that look more manageable? Most of the chumps suicided on Fin, while a few took their chances with Noish, which didn't work out much better for them.

INXcP.png

And with the Free Knights gone, I set Lex up to aggro the main enemy horde. Would Cuan work better? Of course, but Lex has uses to waste from his axe gallery, hence why I put him at the forefront.

3rd4T.png

POWER OF PURSUIT

vD0Ub.png

All in all, this tanking thing could have gone a lot better.

Uxi7Q.png

I don't remember these guys being so obnoxious before...FE4 sure looks a lot harder when you can't just Sigurd stomp your way to victory.

6jx4o.png

Let's finish off this jerk once and for all.

R1GaW.png

One...

D2jyR.png

That doesn't count, also I am very disappointed in you Lex.

rrlLI.png

Two, three...

yUG10.png

Fourfivesixseven boss defeated,good job team except you Lex, you're a miserable failure!

Join me next time, as I waste loads of time with boring management stuff before getting on with the rest of Chapter 2! It'll be lovely.

EDIT Also the editor is being stoopid, so you'll have to deal with everything in the spoilered text being BOLD. Sorry about that!

Edited by Refa

• 3 weeks later...