So, I'm giving up Caffiene.

Elieson

And I feel like a sluggish mopey pile of meh, which sucks because my life depends on me being both physically and mentally active, from wake up to sleep.

Anyway, I'm not here to bitch. I'm here to sort of chronicle my task, and seek advice for the duration of my withdrawl.

That can't be fun. Switch to cocaine.

In all seriousness, exercise really helps with anything, including taking your mind out of the gutter. Go for runs, you'll feel better.

Edited by Aere

I do those (gold's), and listen to plenty of rock, jazz, funk, and electro/DrumNBass upbeat stuff...i don't like many modern songs with low BPM.

But exercise, I could regiment that back in, primarily when my daughter goes to sleep.

Also, water/juice all day, erry day. I sure do love me some Welch's

It might not be the best thing for you in large doses, but I somewhat remember a Psychology Today article that claimed a study found a smallish daily intake of caffeine, say a cup of coffee a day, is actually good for us, possibly our hearts. I'd think twice before taking my word for it, though.

I'm doing this for my health :/

And I've heard the same, much like a glass of red wine, with its antioxodants, is good for you too.

I'm trying to wean my dependence of it. When I need a can of Dr. Pepper to.snap out of zombie mode, and several more to keep myself going....i just don't want that chemical dependence.

Plus, the other stuff found in soda and coffee, like the copious amounts of sugar (artficial or otherwise), dyes, etc that promote tooth decay and other health issues.

This is just a crusade for better health is all.

What do you mean by quitting caffiene? Like no coffee/dark pop or absoultely no caffiene at all (so no chocolate/tea/whatever)? Just curious.

Plus, the other stuff found in soda and coffee, like the copious amounts of sugar (artficial or otherwise), dyes, etc that promote tooth decay and other health issues.

Make your own coffee? My mum and me buy preground mixes and have our own espresso maker thingy and make our own coffee. It tastes better than the crap you find at the shops (and I'm assuming you're American--American coffee is awful) and you save money and calories for less sugar and milk.

That can't be fun. Switch to cocaine.

Dude no cocaine slows you down forever I mean -6 speed is balls and you only get 3 lines of it

I've found that chewing gum (not the sugary kind though, those are kind of bleh) helps because it keeps you moving and the minty ones also keep you more alert.

Edited by CR-S01

Instead of going full cold-turkey, try cutting down. If you're feeling sluggish, give yourself a shot of green tea or something. Oh, and lots and lots of water! I'll see if I can catch you on IRC so we can compare music libraries. :P:

Day 2 of Caffiene Abstinance:

Following a night of 5 hours of sleep, I'm awake, after whacking the snooze button 6 times. Got my son ready for school, and I'm chillin with my daughter for a few before I take her to daycare. I could definitely go for another nap.

Tall glass of water, check.

Washed my face, check (eyes hurt now).

Considering picking up some greentea this morning (as all I have is plain iced tea, and that tastes awful to me).

Boy the headaches must not be fun. All I need is a cup of coffee in the morning and if i miss it my head decides to hurt as if i hit my little toe on the coffee table for the 20th time that day.

Oh yea.

Day 3

Been dealing with Suddenlink internet ppl all day. I finally get interwebs back yay!

I kinda plowed through the sluggishness brought on by the lack of caffiene, but it's 1pm now, and starting to hit me again.

Considering picking up some greentea this morning

But doesn't green tea have caffeine in it?

If you're looking for a tea that lacks caffeine, buy some Rooibos tea. It's naturally free of the stuff.

Edited by Esme

which sucks because my life depends on me being both physically and mentally active, from wake up to sleep.

And nobody listens to me when I tell them posting on Serenes Forest is both mentally and physically exhausting.

Anyway, make your own coffee. Caffeine is called the miracle drug for a reason; it's both addicting and very good for you in moderation. If you make your own coffee, which isn't hard or time consuming to do at all, you can reap all of the benefits, get your energy boost, and not have to deal with the problems of buying pre-made coffee.

Caffeine can help prevent cancers, diabetes, heart problems, strokes, dementia etc. Caffeine just has way too many potential benefits that outweigh its one unavoidable problem - that it's really hard to quit. As long as you make it yourself and drink it in moderation, there is absolutely no reason not to drink coffee. Of course, if you are able to quit then you are more than capable of drinking it in moderation and getting all of the benefits without the negatives.

If it's soda that is your problem, there is no way to avoid its health hazards, lol. Well you can prevent all tooth problems by drinking it with a straw I suppose.

Edited by Tangerine

Anyway, make your own coffee. Caffeine is called the miracle drug for a reason; it's both addicting and very good for you in moderation.

This is more or less why I was confused at the beginning of this thread. Caffeine does not tend to be a factor in health problems unless you are using it in unnaturally large doses very frequently.

I support anyone who wishes to kick the habit though. I quit caffeine when I wanted to prove that I was above chemical dependency. If nothing else, it's kind of liberating.

Sympathy!

Though, after reading replies, i really should adjust it to giving up Soda (mainly), and storebought coffee.

As for the progress...i botched and had a glass of Dr. Pepper yesterday. First one in a few days, but man it buzzed me hard for an hour.

I definitely suggest you get some caffeine in your diet somewhere :P. I used to drink a lot of soda for the energy boost during my hs/college years and it was tough to quit before I started drinking coffee. The caffeine is what makes the soda addictive, so if you replace it with coffee it'll be no trouble dropping it. Soda has almost no nutritional value because the little in it that is good is ruined by everything else, especially brands that use artificial sugar.

That said, I still can't resist a cherry pepsi every now and then :(.

Caffeine in large quantities puts me to sleep, and does hell to my internals. First time I drank green tea, I was awake but felt like I couldn't think. Second time, all it did was send me to the bathroom. :(:

I probably should cut back on my caffiene use. We're discussing substance abuse/dependence in Abnormal Psychology, and I actually have Caffiene Dependence. If I don't have coffee in the morning I go through withdrawal by the afternoon (sluggish, tired, etc.) My main intake is through coffee, as I've been cutting my soda drinking, but I need at least one in the morning, sometimes one in the afternoon.