Any Final Fantasy Fans Out There? Any people wanting to get into Final Fantasy?

Randoman

I'm mostly doing this for an event at another forum I go to (for any EoFFers reading this, this is Evastio posting).

So, are there any fans of Final Fantasy here on Serenes Forest? What's your favourite Final Fantasy?

And for those that haven't played it yet, are you interested in getting into the Final Fantasy series? If you're completely new to it, I'd recommend starting with FF1, FF4, FF6, or FF7. Those are out of the ones I've played (which are FFs 1-7). FF2, 3, and 5 can be quite difficult and complicated and may scare you off of the series. For ones I haven't played, I think FF9 and 10 are simple enough to start with as well.

As for my favourite Final Fantasy, it'd definitely be FF4. That's probably because it was my very first RPG. Even so, it's got an awesome story, fleshed out characters that all play an important role, a rather level playing field (in that there's no extremely cheap tactics like Ultima x 5 in FF6 or Dual Wield-Rapid Fire in FF5), and an epic soundtrack (especially in its 16-Bit-ness).

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uh, what's my log...

Played a bit of 1, almost none of 2, a bit of 3, nearly beat 4 (that's a story), played most of 5, beat 6, most of a disc of 7, the demo of 8, beat 10, beat 10-2 like all the times, beat 12.

X-2's the best.

Nice. So I take it the saves still work well and don't erase on you? Where are you in each of the saves?

Yupyup.

First is a 99:99 with max lvl, Odin (Spd) trained everyone (except Gau. I hate Gau).

Second is I dunno the time, save in Vector, just after the battle with Chupon. I like the entire floating island thing too much to pass it up.

Third is early on, at the "Chose a scenario, kupo" scene, Aboosed file with Baron powergrinding Terra x co (a no equipment, natural magic run)

Edited by Elieson

I'm one of the ones who has yet to really get into it. I played FF3 on the DS, got FF4 and played some of it (then lost it), but that's it so far. It seems like a good series, I just haven't really given it a go yet :P

I've pretty much played just about every FF, I love 4, 9 and 13 the most of them all with 6, and all the others close behind I just love the whole series really. lol

Played the first six games (well, the GBA Remakes, or the DS remake in the case of III), but I think the series as a whole is overrated. They're decent games, but there are better RPGs out there.

Played FFTA and FFTA2, too. I like those quite a bit more, although the former is too easy while the latter is downright unfair in some instances.

My least favorite FF would be FFIV, because your entire party keeps shuffling its members after like every single goddamn story event, which makes grinding a massive waste of time if you do it at the wrong time.

And grind you will, because lategame enemies in this game are so ridiculously overpowered that every single random encounter will destroy your party unless you're overleveled.

Entering the moon at like Lv30 and having every member except Cecil and sometimes Kain get one-shot by everything isn't particularly fun, especially considering that to even have a reasonable shot at defeating the final boss, you have no choice but to be close to Lv60, as otherwise you'll simply have too few HP to survive his Big Bang spam. Lots of grinding ensues.

My favorite FF is FFV. I like being able to customize my characters, and FFV allows the player to do so rather freely. Being able to mix skillsets is also nice, although the way FFTA(2) did it is better imo.

More importantly, FFV has very solid gameplay - even though you have a lot of room for customization, the difficulty always remains at just about the right level - neither too easy nor too hard. FFV isn't entirely free of gamebreakers (dualwield X-Fire lol), but it doesn't have anything nearly as bad as FFVI's ULTIMAQUICKULTIMAULTIMAULTIMAULTIMA.

FFI is boring and pathetically easy.

FFII has an interesting way for your characters to grow stronger, but tends to be too easy (excluding a few pretty fiendish random encounters).

FFIII is about as average as an RPG gets. Like FFV it has jobs, which adds some replay value, but like FFIV it too has poor balance, where you can enter the final dungeon at like Lv32 and won't have a reasonable shot at beating the final boss until you're well above Lv55.

FFVI is decent, but needs way too long to get going (almost the entirety of the WoB is a massive borefest, if you ask me) and then becomes too easy. Also, ULTIMAQUICKULTIMAULTIMAULTIMAULTIMA.

Played FF1-6, bit of 8, 13, not much of 13-2. I was bored with the games I had and I had FF13 at the time so I beat it out of boredom. 13-2 is not the best since you can't even heal properly like in 13. . . <_< How could they do that. . . If you take damage it seems to be pernament in 13-2. . . so you pretty much have to grind to save your behind. . .

Beaten 3 DS, 4 DS, 5 & 6 Advanced and as stated above 13. My favourite being 6, 4 coming close.

If you take damage it seems to be pernament in 13-2. . .

Got me interested there, how exactly does that work?

The only health system that I know of that works like that is Yggdra Union's Morale system, where the only way to recover morale is to use strictly limited items.

Got me interested there, how exactly does that work?

The only health system that I know of that works like that is Yggdra Union's Morale system, where the only way to recover morale is to use strictly limited items.

In 13 and 13-2 you recover all health after a battle. No need for potions outside of battles.

I've played 1-6. My favourite is FF2.

That's considered odd, no?

Most dislike II because of its battle system, so yes. It's commonly regarded as the worst in the series, next to IX.

II is probably my second or third favorite of the first six, personally.

Most dislike II because of its battle system, so yes. It's commonly regarded as the worst in the series, next to IX.

Attacking your dudes to raise their HP? Don't blame people for thinking that it's bad.

IX is bad? Now, I haven't played it, but I don't think it's not as polorizing as, say, II or XI.

Inb4flamewar

In 13 and 13-2 you recover all health after a battle. No need for potions outside of battles.

I see, but then I fail to understand what Replica's problem with it is. Are there no longer healing items to use in combat, or have healing spells been cut? Anything that'd make healing more difficult?

As for FFII, you don't actually have to take damage to raise your HP; they'll increase on their own every few battles.

It's just that blasting your own party with random spells until you run out of MP is the best way to raise pretty much any stat, which of course is somewhat silly.

Edited by Scarlet