What are your favorite PSP games?

redturtle806

I just finished FF4 complete for the PSP, and I'm looking for a couple of new games to play. I just got Shin Megami Tensei today, but I'm trying to get some other games lined up. I've also been thinking about picking up Silver Lunar Star Harmony too. I just feel like I need to explore more of the JRPG library, because I've only played a few. Plus my roomate just sold his 360 and my PSP is all I've got for games atm for save my crappy laptop.

I've already played/loved:

FF 1, 2, 4, 7, Crisis Core and Tactics

Tales of Phantasia

Resident Evil 1, 2

Astonishia Story

GTA Chinatown Wars

Castlevania SOTN

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep

Tactics Orge

Also any PSX, SNES, or Genesis recommendations are welcome too, after all I don't have a 1000 for nothing...

OKAY. . .uhhhh. . .

- Yggdra Union: I fangirl hard over this game, because it's a strategy game that's damn fun once you get past the learning curve

- Gungnir: Another game that made me think hard

- Dissidia (including Duodecium): Watching everyone interact, and beating up stuff with Firion is always worth it

- Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep: I have an unnatural obsession with Ice Cream Beat

mmmhm

Well, if you haven't played Persona 3 on PS2 I'd say the PSP version is a must-play, Persona 2 is worth playing as well though I think it's battle system was pretty meh the characters are so goddamn charming you'll play through it anyway, I'd also recommend Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky for being ballbustingly amazing in a lot of ways, and um

fate/extra, the best rock/paper/scissors simulator of all time

disgaea 1&2 along with Jeanne d'Arc if you feel like grinding and tactics (Jeanne isn't really very hard but I thought the story is worth the recommendation)

the Ys games (Oath in Felghana and 7) for action rpgs of the highest quality (and that psp kingdom hearts game if that tickles your fancy)

the dissidia final fantasy game for a strange 3D fighting RPG hybrid that is really quite enjoyable

Oh, and even though it's not even kind of in RPG territory play a DJMAX game. Because of reasons.

Get those classics for your emulators.

Look up the few translated visual novels that have been ported to PSP if that sounds like your kind of thing.

There's a lot I'm forgetting here but yeah

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth is my favorite game on PSP.

Class of Heroes, Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Persona 3 Portable are the other three JRPGs I kept in my collection after selling off most of my PSP stuff.

Oh if SRPGs are included, Jeanne d'Arc is amazing, and Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2 are tons of fun as well.

Edited by Tangerine

Good to know, I just beat Devil Survior OC on my 3ds (before I sold it because my landlord is a cheap bastard), and I decided to go and play all 3 of the Persona games. I've also been looking at Yggdra Union too, looks pretty cool. And you know I've got those emulator classics already, I was always a Genesis kid at heart. :D I'll probably play the shining force games again at some point.

Edit: Forgot that I just got Chrono Cross too. Don't know how I never played that.

Edited by redturtle806

I'm right there with Birth by Sleep - pretty good graphics and storyline, not to mention developed characters.

I would second Dissidia though. I'd suggest getting Duodecim, since the first one is effectively in Duodecim anyway and there's no point effectively doing the same stuff twice. Plus, if you've played the other FF series, then that's a good place to be! The controls are a pain to learn, but it's the sort of thing you need to give a chance before you see its full potential. In a way, it's very similar to Birth by Sleep...

@eclipse: Firion's a spammer XD Real men use Jecht

Aw man, Shining Force! The Suikoden series is really good too, but I don't think any of them are for PSP. Maybe Tierkrist if you're lucky, but I thought it was for DS...

I'd say that my favorite PSP games are the only ones that I currently have (I got a PSP last year, so I only have 5 games).

God of War: Ghost of Sparta - I wasn't a fan of the God of War games on PS2 and PS3, but as far as this one goes, it's pretty damn decent. I enjoyed it.

Dissidia Duodecim - I enjoyed this game so much that I literally had to STOP playing it because I almost broke my Circle button. XD But it's definitely one of my favorite games so far.

Gods Eater Burst - By far the best game I've ever played. The controls take some getting used to, but it's a lot like Monster Hunter. If you're a fan of Monster Hunter, you'll definitely enjoy this game.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin - I've hit a roadblock here, so I'm kind of stuck, but I do enjoy this game. I expected this game to play like Persona 3 and Persona 4...it doesn't in any way possible, and that's actually a good thing. Definitely recommend that you lot play it.

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core + - Probably the only game I've downloaded from PSN and not bought in the store. I'm a huge fan of this series, so naturally I'd get this game at some point. With many different fighters to choose from, this whole series defines an entire generation of fighting games and spinoffs that have arisen because of it (namely BlazBlue and Persona 4 Arena).

At some point, I wanna get MGS: Peace Walker, KH: Birth By Sleep, and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. If I have any money (and time) to spare, I'd probably get Persona 3 Portable as well.

Final Fantasy Dissidia [both of them]

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep

Fate/Extra

Crisis Core

Disgaea 2 - Dark Hero Days [a port with some extra awesome stuff]

The Star Ocean Remakes

Final Fantasy 4 The Complete Collection

Maverick Hunter X

Megaman Powered Up

Dracula X Chronicles

Capcom Classic Collection Reloaded

Now stuff I got from the PSN downloadable titles and such via my PSP are mostly these 3 older games that were all on the PS1 back in the day!

The Legend of Dragoon [very underrated amazing RPG imo, the translation is sketchy but its awesome regardless]

Final Fantasy IX [my 2nd favorite FF in the series]

Castlevania: Symphony Of the Night

Edited by Spirit Detective Jedi

There's also Langrisser (strategy based game very similar to FE... I think there's one for the PSP, but I'm not sure) and Growlanser (also a RPG). They're going to release FFIII for the PSP later and it's probably my favorite FF.

Oh wait I remember now, I have a really big list of PSP games which I want to play when I get one:

Persona 3 Portable

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep

Star Ocean 1

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII

Radiant Mythology

Persona 3 Portable

Gungnir

Dissidia 012

Class of Heroes

Corpse Party

Yggdra Union

Shin Megami Tensei

Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time

Tekken 6

Dissidia: Final Fantasy

Valhalla Knights 2

Ys Seven

Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Ys I & II Chronicles

Half-Minute Hero

Lunar: Silver Star Harmony

Fate/Extra

Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection

Maverick Hunter X

Megaman Powered Up

Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 - Innocent Sin

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona

Hexyz Force

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Tag Force 3

Star Ocean: Second Evolution

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

Guilty Gear Judgment

SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny

Valkyria Chronicles II

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger Portable

Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II

Blazing Souls: Accelate

Wild ARMs XF

Edited by Rapier

I'm not a man, therefore, I have no reason to use Jecht

I completely forgot about the Legend of Heroes series. The story gets cheesy at times (third one, I'm looking at you), but the battle system's quite amusing.

PSPs are surprisingly cheap now too, I saw some going for 20-30$ bucks at my local pawnshop. One of the few benefits of living in a high drug/crime area I suppose.

Yeah but where I live it costs 300-400 bucks at best since I live in a place cursed with huge inflation. >:

One day I'll get one, however!

Oh, easy. Dissidia 012, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Ys Seven, and Jeanne d'Arc. Pity that the sequels to Trails in the Sky will take forever to come here - assuming they ever do, and past third that's a delusion - and the other LOH trilogy had a silly little translation. SC shows a ton of promise.

As for the other three... Dissidia is just plain fun, Ys appeals to my collector's OCD while being a tasty little challenge, and Jeanne d'Arc... I don't have any particular reason for Jeanne d'Arc. That's one's more of an "I JUST DO, OKAY?".

Lesse, list of JRPGs I liked playing with my PSP(meaning start tallying rate of titles being mentioned on the thread and derive the best choices from there. I also skip stuff you've already covered):

Class of Heroes(do dungeon crawls count?)

Valkyrie Profile(Make sure you play on Hard mode if you're a completionist

Yggdra Union

Legend of Heroes

Unchained Blades(This one is a bit new I think got it this year and it's a dungeon crawl with a capture system since you need all the minions you can get to survive)

Cladun: This is an RPG(That is the title)

Cladun X2

Star Ocean Second Evolution

Brave Story New Traveler

Mana Khemia(Alchemy setting done right IMO)

Of this list, my most recommended is Mana Khemia and Valkyrie Profile.

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth is my favorite game on PSP.

Class of Heroes, Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Persona 3 Portable are the other three JRPGs I kept in my collection after selling off most of my PSP stuff.

Oh if SRPGs are included, Jeanne d'Arc is amazing, and Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2 are tons of fun as well.

Holy shit woman, stop stealing my tastes!

I recommend all of the above, especially Valkyrie Profile. I'd also add Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness to the mix.