Who coined the term "Ambush Spawning"?

MarkyJoe1990

I had a discussion with AstraLunaSol about ambush spawning not too long ago, and it occurred to me that I have no idea where the term came from.

The earliest reference to Ambush Spawning that I can remember is in Tale 3 of my Elibean Nights playthrough. It was either in the video itself or I said it in the comments, so it makes me wonder if I was the one who coined the term.

I've never heard of that exact term before, so it must be new-ish. Chances are that, if no-one else remembers it either, you're the "creator". Not sure why it matters, but whatever.

Personally, I call them SURPRISE REINFORCEMENTS (yes, in all caps). xD

I've never heard of that exact term before, so it must be new-ish. Chances are that, if no-one else remembers it either, you're the "creator". Not sure why it matters, but whatever.

Personally, I call them SURPRISE REINFORCEMENTS (yes, in all caps). xD

Surprise buttsex? :D

On a similar note, when and why did people start calling sidestory chapters 'gaidens'? I'm almost positive they're never referred to as that, in the entirety of the English games.

And I doubt that an offhand comment from an obscure LPer would coin a phrase this widely used.

Edited by Furetchen

Gaiden is Japanese for side story. That's why FE2 is called that.

And in regards to the OP, I don't believe the term would really be considered a neologism.

Edited by Hawkeye

So ambush spawning is when a computer generates a spawn based on a player character/unit entering an area?

Ya, I coined that one too.

EDIT: You can thank me by also using it to refer to when your forces ambush enemy forces and they automatically spawn units on the fly with little or no noticeable delay.

Edited by Mouse

I had a discussion with AstraLunaSol about ambush spawning not too long ago, and it occurred to me that I have no idea where the term came from.

The earliest reference to Ambush Spawning that I can remember is in Tale 3 of my Elibean Nights playthrough. It was either in the video itself or I said it in the comments, so it makes me wonder if I was the one who coined the term.

The term "ambush spawn" has been around since the days of FESS, so I'm pretty sure you didn't coin the term.

I'd wager without any proof that the phrase "ambush spawn" has been around roughly since there were video games with enemies that spawned.

ambush? wot's that, like a gorse bush?

Edited by Integrity

I doubt that an offhand comment from an obscure LPer would coin a phrase this widely used.

Are you sure? Cause "reskin" was coined by either me or BuringPenitentEngine, and that seems to be commonly used as well.

The term "ambush spawn" has been around since the days of FESS, so I'm pretty sure you didn't coin the term.

What's FESS?

Are you sure? Cause "reskin" was coined by either me or BuringPenitentEngine, and that seems to be commonly used as well.

When did you "coin" reskin? I've been using it for roughly a decade and I certainly didn't invent it.

When did you "coin" reskin? I've been using it for roughly a decade and I certainly didn't invent it.

I believe it was back when Shrine of Seals was still Fire Emblem Universe.

I think the story went like this. Assuming BuringPenitentEngine used it first, it was probably in one of his playthroughs of one of my Fire Emblem hacks. I must've heard him use it, so I started using it myself and I spread it across the FEU forums where it stuck.

If I coined it, then... it's the same story minus the first part.

I believe it was back when Shrine of Seals was still Fire Emblem Universe.

I think the story went like this. Assuming BuringPenitentEngine used it first, it was probably in one of his playthroughs of one of my Fire Emblem hacks. I must've heard him use it, so I started using it myself and I spread it across the FEU forums where it stuck.

If I coined it, then... it's the same story minus the first part.

Yeah, sorry dude, neither of you coined "reskin" on a Fire Emblem fansite.

Hell, I probably called the palette swaps in various SNES games "reskins" back in the '90s.

EDIT: Being as I never had anything to do with FESS, circa what year would this be?

Edited by Integrity

So you have no idea when it was, but you're pretty vaguely sure that you had about a coin-toss chance of having invented the term "reskin".

Yeah.

EDITOR'S NOTE: and by yeah i mean no

Edited by Integrity