thoughts thus far

cyron

Psst, Othin, what do you think of Orsin?

It's a good name for him. I'd go so far as to say it suits him even better than what we used to call him.

But all that said, I'm still Othin. Might even say I'm glad to now have the name to myself, even though I sort of did for a while. Ever since I used the wrong katakana to spell "Othin" as my name on my first FE13 file and decided to stick with it for other Japanese games.

Im also loving the little search for Previous Series Characters localized names that nintendo decided to add in for us Hardcore Fans who are looking forward to the older japanese only generation characters name translations. Whats better then a FE Demo? A FE Demo with a little fanservice :P

Good Job Nintendo! Im really hoping this makes some new comers to the series and causes the game to sell well so future games will be localized.

I only played about 10 minutes of the demo so far. How long is the demo anyway?

Anyway, thoughts...yeah.

Ok, the art style is still hard to get used to for me but i think ill manage as the game wears on. (like the real game.) The voice acting is pretty nifty and i like the voice clips in regular conversations. I only managed to play the first map cuz i had shit to do. I love the double teaming your enemy thing a lot. Support and stuff and then smashing your enemies with more than one guy at a time. I actually forgot that was a thing to be honest and was all like "oohhh yeahhh.....Awesome!"

Question, is it only up to two people or can you actually gang-rape your enemies by having more units surrounding them?

Game play is pretty smooth and familiar. The 3D is nice too. The battle sequences and animations are some sweet ass shit. Now THATS what im talkin about!

I feel the need to say this. Normal difficult is trivial. Hard difficulty is enjoyable, but not incredibly challenging.

Lunatic difficulty is a nightmarish clusterfuck. I have not yet been able beat Chapter 1, though I've got the Prologue mostly down pat. This is after 5+ goes.

Basically every enemy troop is more powerful than one of your guys (barring Frederick) and they outnumber you. Sully and Virion are basically liabilities. I think the jump from Hard to Lunatic is the single biggest leap in difficulty from a single setting that I've ever seen in a Fire Emblem game.

Edited by Onestep

I was able to do normal and hard, lunatic was just pure evil. I'll do normal for certain on my first file, then hard, then if I think

I'm able, lunatic.

Eh other than my first time playing Sacred stones as my first ever Fire Emblem, I've never had had issues with the first couple missions, so I wouldn't really be bother by the difficulty settings at this point. This only applies to normal/hard though

Edited by Thunderfox

Lunatic is indeed soulcrushing, as everyone has already stated. I barely made it past the Prologue on my 3rd try, and died in Chap. 1. >_> What really impressed me is the enemy AI.

[spoiler=Because it's kind of a long anecdote]I had an Avatar doubled Chrom at half health and a full health Freddy surrounding a half health myrmidon. Behind him was a full health fighter. Chrom could take one hit from the myrmidon but not the fighter. Only Freddy could act, but if he moved to attack the fighter (who he couldn't kill), the fighter could then go kill Chrom next phase. As it stood, I figured the myrmidon would attack Chrom (since he's the weaker unpromoted unit) again, leaving both at ~1 HP and blocking the fighter from being able to attack him. Instead, lo and behold, myrmidon moves out of fighter's way and suicides on Freddy, defying everything I've come to expect of Fire Emblem's AI, and Chrom gets an axe to the face and dies ^_^.

Tl;dr: AI is really smart. Kudos to IS.

Edited by Tarquin

Me wants to play so much, although I know some of the major plot elements, mostly to do with Marth and Gimle, I really have no knowledge of the actual story, I refuse to watch let's plays, (or at least, as few as possible) and play the game myself.

The nasty thing about lunatic is when they throw in that hammer fighter if you thought you were going to use Fred as an uber-crutch. I managed to beat it once, but I think it was luck. I'm still trying to figure what the best pairs for the fight are.

Looking back on normal mode after trying hard and lunatic a few times is kind of funny, and even on hard Krom or MU can practically solo when paired with Fred. I'm thinking I'll do normal for the sake of understanding the new mechanics and to get a feel for the universe.

My sole issue was with forests, I couldn't tell by appearance if a space was a forest or a plain sometimes, as the trees overlap sometimes.

There's a terrain window for just that :/

Ch. 1 strat that should work unless you get some really bad misses

Chrom pair onto MU, MU runs over to the upper left blinky tile (it was the same for me every time so I'm assuming it's always the same), switches with Chrom (depending on who does more damage to the Mercenary). Lissa pairs with Fred, who runs left so he can bait a Fighter, and drops Lissa above him out of range. After this, you can have Fred finish the Merc and then back away through the woods, slowly killing enemies. Have MU+Chrom try to bait the Hammer guy away since they can kill him by switching and healing (plus if you picked +Spd it's possibly one of them doubles).

Virion pair with Sully and bait the other Merc, slowly move upwards to meet up with Fred+Lissa while consuming Elixir uses to kill him (don't let him get on forests since she cleanly 3HKOs him). By the time she meets up, there should just be the Archer which Fred can OHKO while paired with Virion (or Sully but whatever). Then you can run away from the boss while healing up, bait him with Virion paired with Fred when you're ready, then charge in and kill him.

Edited by Paperblade

so couple quick questions (since I don't have a 3ds yet, getting the bundle. ;p ) Pairing up, are they both on the same tile or how does that work, heard mention of it quite a few times while lurking on here but still confused. The second deals with the boosting I saw on the playthrough video (I assume that's not pairing, just being next to each other support boost, or is that right there the pairing?) If there's a few people next to each other, how's it decided who helps who?

You see both units on the same tile - the one that's active is brighter and sightly bigger of the two.

When multiple people are adjacent to an attacker, dual striking or whatever it's called is based on the highest support value present among them.