The Lunatic Club

Shinori

Hey nice. Thats exactly how I found this place too. Well, Welcome to the club.

Alright now that im done with stuff Im going to do my restless and deathless vinila lunatic run. I intend to use no renown ( except bullon) three golden Gaffe runs (after gangrel or whenever really ) Three bonus box units and no grind. Yes I know this is alot but I only have just so much time to play. I was going to start around Noon on 6/17 (I know this is short notice)My twich name is the_windwak3r.

EDIT: nevermind this stuff isnt working

Edited by ultmatelifeform

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think i might have got a (un)lucky crit or 2 with Robin, which ends up ending fights faster and thus less support exp.

That's not the kind of randomness Kuroi is talking about, the stuff that's been happening to us is completely inexplicable by just watching recordings and counting support gain by the traditional method. It's most likely some form of hidden jealousy system like FE4, but nobody understands the ins and outs of it yet.

having discovered these forums yesterday I created this account in celebration of this feet and came here to brag to the people most likely to be impressed by this (Or tell me to come back when I finish it on lunatic +)

It's less of a "you're a legend" thing and more of a "welcome to the club".

That said, congrats and welcome to the club!

Alright now that im done with stuff Im going to do my restless and deathless vinila lunatic run. I intend to use no renown ( except bullon) three golden Gaffe runs (after gangrel or whenever really ) Three bonus box units and no grind. Yes I know this is alot but I only have just so much time to play. I was going to start around Noon on 6/17 (I know this is short notice)My twich name is the_windwak3r.

EDIT: nevermind this stuff isnt working

Well, if you get it working, post again. I'd strongly advise doing a test stream first to make sure you're capable of broadcasting a (decent) picture, have your audio working, etc before you actually try to stream any content. But once it's up I'll come take a look, if I'm around.

Thanks for the welcome/congratulations everyone!

Grats! The mode is still fairly challenging, especially when you pile those extra restrictions on. I do encourage you to take a look at Lunatic+ if you're looking for even more challenge, though.

I am making my plans for lunatic+ presently, I'll probably start it later tonight.

If you actually managed to complete a no-grind Lunatic run with Donnel as a contributing party member. . .that's impressive.

I'm glad you think so!

But I mostly just relied on my super easy Donnel growth plan.

There are three archers on the map you get him on (One by the chests and two by the boss) that agro independently of the other units on the map, if you cage them in with your units you can have donned stab them to death risk free and since he has to attack them each like ten times to kill them on lunatic mode he will level up once for each archer and gain enough weapon exp to equip a javelin then you can force the boss to equip his melee axe(Ideally by breaking his ranged one), weaken him, and finish him with Donnel. This gets Donnel to level five without ever even entering the range of an enemy. (I like to break the ranged axe so that if Donnel misses he can still get the kill by attacking again.)

With his stat growths four levels takes him from a total liability to a slight one and with a little bit of care, exp priority, a few tonics before fights, and maybe a few more archers and he will catch up to the rest of your party fairly fast.

0% risk 100% repeatable.

And then Donnel is awesome (And his aptitude boosted kid is beyond awesome)

Also good luck with your run ultmatelifeform!

Edited by EmanEmal

@Emen: Thanks. Oh and I would agree with Kuori to not use donnell on L+. I didnt even try but like he said pass will wreck that strategy and such high attack and no real long range attacks are highly susceptible to counter. And to boot luna+ will be devastating because he will have a high defence. I would still advise marrying him off though to get a better unit that has long range attacks with aptitude. I would suggest Nah. As Nah handals alredy great stats and has long range witch by-passes counter and it does help that I found Aiges+ to show up less often than Pavise.

Edited by ultmatelifeform

Fair warning: if you plan to raise Donnel on Lunatic+, those Archers can have Pass, which will mess with your feeding strat. Donnel's Aptitude actually also works against him here, as his Str sticks uncomfortably close to his HP. Keep him away from Counter, or he will wreck himself.

I'll keep that in mind, it would certainly be a nasty way to mess up an otherwise finished level. Though I'll still make be using him. The team really benefits from aptitude's exp efficiency.

and I'll agree with the donnel nah thing, that's what I used in my last run and it was amazing.

Good points about counter as well, maybe instead of classing him merc->hero I'll go fighter-->warrior

that way he can fight counter with a bow and make better use of his high hp with counter.

anyways I started the run! Made it to chapter 2 without to many problems, though vantage+ seems to catch me by surprise more than it should. Crazy luck with robins levels, so far all like 4-6 stats, so he's starting to get quite strong.

feeling confident as I am going into chapter 2, but then again it is still chapter 2 so that might change.

Also I have a question, if I pair up the male robin with Olivia can I class change the female morgain into a dancer? Because that would be perfect for my plans.

Nope, no Dancer Morgan.

Donnel has several issues that make him generally considered a bad unit on Lunatic(+). The main one is that he comes early, starts slow thanks to his bad bases/weapon rank, requirement of an extremely valuable Second Seal, and getting reset to E Swd (never make him a Fighter, Merc is much better), and then gets good for midgame thanks to Aptitude. But once he's capped, he's capped. He has an extremely small class pool so he can't hop around to pick up extra skills and get into a good final class, and he has terrible mods. So once you get to around Cht.22 and all the enemies are catching up to your capped team... He's back to useless, with no stat advantage over your other units and a ton of flaws. This would be all fine and dandy if the mode was normally easy in the beginning and the end and hard in the middle, because then he'd be strong at the point where you need power the most. But it's not, it's very hard in the beginning and end and gives you a massive break in the middle- so Donnel is a wuss when you need help, and he's helping when you don't. Basically he's not aligned whatsoever to what your team needs.

Compare someone like Yarne, who also starts in a bad class that he must instantly leave and start with E weapons and counters that with high growths: Yarne comes in the middle of the game when the going's easy (and is already Lv.10) and Second Seals are plentiful, and while he has a bad initial class set that can be fixed with a good father (especially Stahl). He also has incredible mods and can marry 2nd gen, allowing him to stay extremely powerful and relevant through the end of the game, when you really need it.

tl;dr Donnel doesn't do his job very well. He can still pass Aptitude to someone, but the children are all already growth units and won't really see a difference big enough to make up for the investment in getting Donnel off the ground. He also has major (moreso than everyone else) issues with Counter, as Kuroi outlined. If you still want to use him, more power to you, but know that it's considered a challenge run for a reason.

If you want to add some easy exp efficient units to your team, pile on the Staffbots. Lissa is a great candidate due to her availability, and Sumia and Cordelia can go Falco either after or if they're not going DF. Libra is an easy drop-in and can also easily marry another staffbot to give you another child (usually hard support Owain with a DSp+ inheritance). Maribelle works too but is generally an inferior version of Lissa except with Demoiselle, and Anna has Thief/+Mov utility on top of enough bases to take a hit all through Valm even without investment. Once the staffers get going later on, they can make valuable combat contributions (especially in the Pegs' cases if you got GF first).

I'd advise pairing Avatar with someone who has good availability and can benefit from his pairup bonuses (though I have used Avatar x Olivia on vanilla Lunatic with some dance spamming and saved Paralogues and it turned out very well anyway).

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

And I just beat Lunatic+!

I didn't even use brave weapons on Grima, just a dance with Olivia on Morgan!

Here's my retrospective:

Alexandria: Tactician 20 -> Mercenary 10-12ish -> Bow Knight 16 -> Dark Flier 20 -> Grandmaster

Definitely the star player of the team. While Morgan and Lucina became noticeably more effective towards the end of the game by sheer virtue of having each other as pairup partners while Alexandria had a Chrom that had barely gained any levels in Great Lord, She did the really dangerous stuff for basically 2/3 of the game. I just barely managed to get her galeforce by the end of chapter 13, which was very lucky, because it made the middle game MUCH easier having three galeforce users immediately. Come the endgame, she capped EVERYTHING but res. Her signature weapons: Katarina's bolt, Forseti and a levin sword. I bought her the Katarina's bolt because late in the first half of the game, high crit weapons are basically a saving throw against counter enemies if you're not quite strong enough, and she just kinda never ran out of it.

Lucina: Lord 10 -> Tactician 20 -> Grandmaster 15 -> Paladin

While her magic wound up not keeping up with the generous starting bonus her mother granted her, it lasted long enough for her to get Veteran and Ignis out of the tactician-grandmaster path, which was all I really needed before class changing her. It would've been great if her magic had been a BIT better, but it was enough to make Ignis do a decent 10-15 more damage when paired up with Morgan, so it was worth it. She wound up capping most of her stats in Paladin by the end of the game, save for mag and res, and I managed to train her up to an A rank in lances which I didn't use as much as I thought I would, but hey, it didn't hurt to be prepared.

Morgan: Tactician 20 -> Grandmaster 16 -> Mercenary 10 -> Bow Knight 10 -> Grandmaster

Rightful King turned out to be more useful than Aether in this run. Not only did it let him proc ignis a bit more often, but it also meant that he could eventually 100% Armsthrift from the back row. As for how he got armsthrift, well, I didn't even bother trying to train Laurent, his stats were too pathetic too late in the game. I instead took the opportunity with the suddenly-weak enemies in his paralogue to reclass Morgan to mercenary. It's amazing how much luck you still get even with a luck flaw. As soon as he started reaching 100% Armsthrift rate, I gave him mommy's Mjolnir and the leif's blade from renown, forged the latter with +3 mt and +15 crit, named it Fortuna, and had him use it at every convenient opportunity. What little financial trouble I had was pretty much over. I had enough to buy 2 forged celicia's gales at the end of the game that I wound up not using because my long history of dislike for brave weapons made me want to see if I could take down Grima on turn two WITHOUT them, which I wound up succeeding in doing thanks to Morgan and Lucina.

Miriel: Mage ?? -> Dark Mage 20 -> Sorcerer 20 -> Sorcerer.

Towards the beginning of the game she basically functioned as a second, inferior combatant who could walk just barely into some enemies' attack ranges and take a few of them down. I managed to reclass her to dark mage pretty quickly, expecting to need mire desperately for certain situations. Turns out no, I didn't really, I barely used it. What I did use a TON of was Nosferatu. She was pretty much an equal to the royal family in terms of usefulness because once they had galeforce'd away all of the nasty counter enemies, she literally sucked all the remaining enemies in like some nightmarish black hole of suicidally stupid AI. Because of her technically inferior stats to the royal family, every enemy pretty much without exception assumed she was the easiest target to kill. Lack of armsthrift wasn't even an issue since Fortuna was getting me tons of gold, so she seriously helped my team's survivability, ESPECIALLY in chapters 19 and 20. She started to slow down towards the very end of the game mostly due to her accuracy and critical rate starting to tank so that she wasn't as effective at one-rounding all non-aegis enemies (and even some of those too) as she was before, but she still inflicted a single hit point of damage in the final battle using mire that, had Lucina failed to dual strike all four times and Morgan had failed to get four procs of Ignis, would've been just enough for Morgan to finish off Grima anyway.

All in all, if I were to run this again, I might try reclassing Morgan to mercenary immediately instead of trying it as an afterthought, though the lack of a pairup bonus might have made Lucina's ranged attack performance suffer while she was in tactician and grandmaster. Otherwise I think I did everything fairly well!

Grats! I'm most amused that you got away with dropping Morgan back to tier 1 for a bit. Almost ending the game with triple Grandmasters is pretty great too. Also, I find it extremely interesting how much Miriel being a Nostank with middling stats messed with the AI so much.

And yeah, as I mentioned before, once you get a strong answer to Counter (and Galeforce on Robin is pretty much that, nevermind toting three on three strong characters), Lunatic+ gets significantly easier.

Deffenantly much esaeyr with a counter counter. And galeforce is great to one turn levels. Im actually going to use that mirial nostank thing though. I never thought to do that.

Grats! I'm most amused that you got away with dropping Morgan back to tier 1 for a bit. Almost ending the game with triple Grandmasters is pretty great too. Also, I find it extremely interesting how much Miriel being a Nostank with middling stats messed with the AI so much.

Oh Miriel totally saved my ass in chapter 19. I MIGHT have come up with some other way to survive the mounted forces rushing me from all sides, but hiding at the lower center of the map, galeforcing away the counter enemies as they came in, and making sure the royal family all ended their turns grouped around Miriel worked wonders.

Congratulations Alastor!

@Czar_Yoshi

That all makes since, but being as stubborn as I am it seems that I'll be doing a challenge run then.

And yes, I use so many staffs.

Kind of sad about the no dancer thing though.

I might be stuck on my current Lunatic run... Aside from Chrom/Avatar, i also planned to use Vaike/Tharja. First shop that spawned had a 2nd seal, so i swooped that up and gave it to Vaike into Barb. Mainly trying to get Noire to do some fun things as a sniper with Wrath + Bowfaire + Vaikes str mod and either Vengeance or Lifetaker from Tharja. (And a few bullions here and there are nice)

Anyhow, paralogue 2 came around, and i had my free 2nd seal in renown to use, which generally goes to Avatar at lvl 20 tactician right? Well I'm sitting here thinking man... why must Chrom always be useless? He was lvl 10 Lord and that point, and Para. 2 is great for training someone with range from that middle island. Fearing that I'd never have a chance to do that again, and tired of Chrom being a sitting duck, i went ahead and sealed him to archer and trained him up. Good news is, Chrom isnt useless anymore. Bad news is no 2nd seal for my lvl 20 Avatar.

So... i guess my question is how exactly to shops work/spawn? And is there a way to sort of... manipulate it into spawning more? Or do i just take a break for now and check it everyday? Side note, i've had massive amounts of armies spawn so far, and like only 2 shops... which is lame.

Anyways, thanks for any answers!

As I dont wanna make another thread I will ask here:I am currently doing a Lunatic run on Awakening and I am at the chapter where you protect Emm.My current team is Chrom LVL 6(Swords C)

FeMU LVL 11(Magic C,Swords D)Asset Spd Flaw Luck

Fred LVL 7(Lances A, Swords B, Axes D)

Vaike LVL 6(Axes C)

Lon'qu LVL 10(Swords B)

Miriel LVL 4|(Magic C)

Kellam LVL 7(Lances C)

Lissa LVL 9(Wands B)

Supports:FeMU&Lissa,Miriel B

FeMU&Chrom C

Chrom&Fred A

Lon'qu&Vaike C

Vaike&Lissa C

Miriel&Kellam C

Should I even bother continuing or should I restart?It seems that I have overleveled Fred yet let Miriel,Kellam,Vaike andChrom rather lowleveled.

I might be stuck on my current Lunatic run... Aside from Chrom/Avatar, i also planned to use Vaike/Tharja. First shop that spawned had a 2nd seal, so i swooped that up and gave it to Vaike into Barb. Mainly trying to get Noire to do some fun things as a sniper with Wrath + Bowfaire + Vaikes str mod and either Vengeance or Lifetaker from Tharja. (And a few bullions here and there are nice)

Anyhow, paralogue 2 came around, and i had my free 2nd seal in renown to use, which generally goes to Avatar at lvl 20 tactician right? Well I'm sitting here thinking man... why must Chrom always be useless? He was lvl 10 Lord and that point, and Para. 2 is great for training someone with range from that middle island. Fearing that I'd never have a chance to do that again, and tired of Chrom being a sitting duck, i went ahead and sealed him to archer and trained him up. Good news is, Chrom isnt useless anymore. Bad news is no 2nd seal for my lvl 20 Avatar.

So... i guess my question is how exactly to shops work/spawn? And is there a way to sort of... manipulate it into spawning more? Or do i just take a break for now and check it everyday? Side note, i've had massive amounts of armies spawn so far, and like only 2 shops... which is lame.

Anyways, thanks for any answers!

Lord's a really good class, but whatev. The shops are random.

As I dont wanna make another thread I will ask here:I am currently doing a Lunatic run on Awakening and I am at the chapter where you protect Emm.My current team is Chrom LVL 6(Swords C)

FeMU LVL 11(Magic C,Swords D)Asset Spd Flaw Luck

Fred LVL 7(Lances A, Swords B, Axes D)

Vaike LVL 6(Axes C)

Lon'qu LVL 10(Swords B)

Miriel LVL 4|(Magic C)

Kellam LVL 7(Lances C)

Lissa LVL 9(Wands B)

Supports:FeMU&Lissa,Miriel B

FeMU&Chrom C

Chrom&Fred A

Lon'qu&Vaike C

Vaike&Lissa C

Miriel&Kellam C

Should I even bother continuing or should I restart?It seems that I have overleveled Fred yet let Miriel,Kellam,Vaike andChrom rather lowleveled.

Kellam being higher leveled than Miriel is sketchy. Chrom should have A support with his wife to be, not Fred. C6 isn't that far in, so it may be worth the restart. We do have good strats here to get through the early stages quickly. Fred being level 7 is also pretty high, even for a non Robin solo.

Yeah you need a S level with female MU and Chrom. I think you might want to re start or do some grinding. Its not far so you should restart and feed less EXP to fredrick.

I decided screw Avatar and her overpoweredness. She was necessary for the first few levels, but Chrom is the Lord and dammit i'm going to make him good. And its only Lunatic... and Avatar should be easy to train up later on anyways.

And i know Lord is a good class but the lack of range hurts him (other than Levin's, but his magic blows and they are pricey), and i'll switch over to Great Lord later when i finish with bow knight. Or go sniper/bow knight, dunno yet, but Gt Lord skills are nice.

@Jay Definitely restart. You're going to have a nightmarish time when you are mostly training Fred. Especially if you are trying to train that many characters.

@Varidan You get another Second Seal in Ch. 8 anyways, and the difficulty of the game doesn't really pick back up until Ch 21ish, so SSs will be buyable at that point so that won't be a problem.

So I reached Donnel's recruitment map and after tweaking my strategy a bit I made it through and

I got Donnel to level six.

Looking back at the level it would be fairly easy and safe to snag at least level seven probably level eight on a non lunatic+ run.

Also, something very strange has happened.

I made Robin -strength for the run (With the idea that he would smack people around with magic normally, and then I could kill counter users by hitting them with week bronze sword [or a stick] hits followed up by dual attacks from Crom or Fred.)

The thing is though he went and leveled up strength almost every single time, so now at level fourteen I have sixteen strength (That is tied with luck for his highest stat) And so my plan if foiled now but I figure that it is fine.

Anyway I figured that that was weird enough to deserve being shared here. (I also was wondering if someone could clarify exactly how much the -stat reduces growths.)

Edited by EmanEmal

It's -10%.

For weak weapons to work, you have to have a really, really poor Attack stat (enemy defenses are really low and most of a character's damage comes from Str/Mag; this is further compounded physically by the big Def pair-up units also provided Str, which kind of works counter to the strat), for it to be worth it, at least if you're doubling. Otherwise, you'll just eat Counter damage for both strikes instead of one. Optimally, the Dual Striking character would put the enemy within range of dying to the second strike, so as to reduce damage suffered overall, but weaker weapons makes this less likely, not to mention Dual Strikes on the first attack aren't particularly reliable until S-rank (or A-rank or higher with Dual Strike+). Two-shotting tends to be the most consistent way to face tank Counter, as the incoming damage easier to plan around (rather than banking on getting that first Dual Strike). The absolute ideal situation is simply running the enemy over in one hit with forged tomes (or Bonus Box tomes, if one wants to break into that). The requires significantly overleveling, though (and even a Sorc with a high mt Flux can have issues meeting this benchmark).