A Higgs Boson walks into a church,

Raven

Integ can pin things in the sections he moderates (since I could when I was a section mod) but I think FFtF is Eclipse's?

Actually, I can't. Am I supposed to be able to?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain to me the joke? I feel left out.

[spoiler=joke killing explanation]The Higgs Boson particle is the particle that gives things mass. In this joke, the word mass is used as a pun which is what makes the joke funny.

I second this.

Integ can pin things in the sections he moderates (since I could when I was a section mod) but I think FFtF is Eclipse's?

Anyway, the joke was funny regardless. xD

The joke was amusing, but I'm not the one that pinned this (unless something really weird happened with my middle mouse button).

[spoiler=joke killing explanation]The Higgs Boson particle is the particle that gives things mass. In this joke, the word mass is used as a pun which is what makes the joke funny.

[spoiler=oh no how could yooouuuuu]I've never heard of a Higgs Boson either! But I decided to look into it (yay wikipedia...?). I was pretty lost by all the explanations but I think I sort of came to understand what it was supposed to be. And I was guessing that the reason it's not allowed in churches is because it helps back up the Big Bang Theory? I have a feeling I misunderstood this part, at least, but does it also explain how mass doesn't need to be "Created" by a God?

Edited by Freohr Datia

Actually, I can't. Am I supposed to be able to?

Really? Odd! I was able to pin things in the Sprites/ROM Hacking forums when I was section mod! You might wanna ask the admins about that. :o

I'm disappointed in the population here.

You have a particle physicist on staff, who spent a significant portion of his graduate career on Higgs searches (mainly the H->WW->μμ channel), and you can't figure out who might have pinned this topic?

I'm not actually disappointed, I don't remember how public knowledge I made everything, tbqh. It just sounds funny if I fake outrage.

Really? Odd! I was able to pin things in the Sprites/ROM Hacking forums when I was section mod! You might wanna ask the admins about that. :o

6a76bfb3e7914a1436679ab9568c0af1.png?1363470555

I've been the problem child since I joined the staff :D

I'm disappointed in the population here.

You have a particle physicist on staff, who spent a significant portion of his graduate career on Higgs searches (mainly the H->WW->μμ channel), and you can't figure out who might have pinned this topic?

I'm not actually disappointed, I don't remember how public knowledge I made everything, tbqh. It just sounds funny if I fake outrage.

I didn't actually know what you were a doctor of.

Edited by Integrity

citizen-kane-clapping.jpg

That was quite an amusing read haha.

On people that are interested on the Higgs boson, here's an explanation in [hopefully...?] bite sized videos

[spoiler=Let's reduce the size of this post]

The discovery of Higgs boson's existence pretty cool since it shows how accurate the standard model is haha.

Minutephysics has more really interesting videos on various topics that I hope you guys will find enjoyable!

Edited by pinkbubblegum

[spoiler=oh no how could yooouuuuu]I've never heard of a Higgs Boson either! But I decided to look into it (yay wikipedia...?). I was pretty lost by all the explanations but I think I sort of came to understand what it was supposed to be. And I was guessing that the reason it's not allowed in churches is because it helps back up the Big Bang Theory? I have a feeling I misunderstood this part, at least, but does it also explain how mass doesn't need to be "Created" by a God?

I'm pretty certain that the part about not being alowed in church was only there to set up the mass joke, actually.

[spoiler=joke explaining bandwagon]The not being allowed in church thing probably relates to the fact that the Higgs Boson was given the (terribly misleading) nickname of the "God particle", which made certain non-sciencey religious types irritated since the misleading nickname gave them the idea that the particle was meant to explain creation, or something.

also groan. i am allergic to puns.

^

so how long till this gets unpinned by someone who hates fun

I have a medical condition, people enjoying puns near me triggers a constriction of my trachea

(Browsing sf has brought me to the emergency room countless times already)

[stuff]

Saori? Like from DSCoders Saori?

Your avatar looks familiar where's it from

RE: The joke

I found it acceptable and thought it was okay for it to be pinned simply because it's about modern science (bonner alert) but it should be unpinned in a few weeks ago when it stopped being news and started being olds.

[spoiler=joke explaining bandwagon]The not being allowed in church thing probably relates to the fact that the Higgs Boson was given the (terribly misleading) nickname of the "God particle", which made certain non-sciencey religious types irritated since the misleading nickname gave them the idea that the particle was meant to explain creation, or something.

Calling it the "God particle" makes certain non-religious sciency types prickly too. That nickname is an equal opportunity offender.

Calling it the "God particle" makes certain non-religious sciency types prickly too. That nickname is an equal opportunity offender.

I find this acceptable

MVBbhEf.jpg

Who drew that and what is it supposed to represent? I'm assuming the original isn't the artist showing Jesus twisting some guy's arm (literally) and the guy threatening to slap him.