Your feelings on cutscenes?

Knight

51 members have voted

1. 1. Cutscenes?

• Skip
    • Stay and watch (except maybe when I have completed the game once)
    • Depends if it's a good story
    • Skip Text Based only
    • Skip Voiced only
    • I skip all cutscenes except Metal Gear Solid's (cause you know, YOLO)
  2. 2. Why do you skip cutscenes?

• Boring
    • In a rush
    • What do you mean, I watch all cutscenes?
    • I don't like reading text
    • No definite reason
    • They just aren't Metal Gear Solid cutscenes

Generally watch them even if i'm not paying attention to the story through that particular run through. Always watch them first way through.

I usually watch them if they're super cool cutscenes. If they're just normal ones, I'll watch them if the game isn't crap and it's my first playthrough: on subsequent playthroughs, I may or may not depending on how much I remember it. I usually don't rewatch something I can more or less remember on my own. For example, after beating Awakening twice, I skipped practically everything on my 3rd run, because everything was pretty fresh in my memory. XP

The answer I have isn't a part of the poll :/

Generally, I watch all cutscenes but on the situation where I had to start over a million times and rewatch that same cutscene a million times more, then yes, I'll skip it.

Watch them fully when playing the game for the first time. Then on subsequent playthroughs skip them unless they're not overall that long or if there is something to gain by watching them.

I will watch them once unless I've seen/read them unless they're just really boring.

Or in case of FE13 I'm very short on time since I only have so much free time borrowing my friend's 3ds during class breaks so I'm trying to get the gameplay done. Can always read dialogue from an LP later or if I get it myself.

I enjoy cutscenes for the most part. I'm often left watching some really cool cutscenes in fun games thinking "Man, if only this could somehow be made into the longest movie ever, I would watch the shit out of it."

The first time I always watch/read, after that I usually skip since I know it already. There should be an option for that.

Nailed it.

I skip on followup playthroughs because once I know the story I'm all about getting to the gameplay.

I often watch them on repeat plays to see if I can catch something I missed before, as even when if they're not particularly impressive I'd otherwise worry I'm "missing content." This can indeed kind of drag out the time spent on the game, though, so if I've seen them a real load of times, am pressed for time, or am in LTA's situation and have to rewatch one after continuing from a checkpoint of sorts, I'll go ahead and try to just get to the action as soon as possible.

Edited by Rehab

• 1 month later...

I enjoy cutscenes for the most part. I'm often left watching some really cool cutscenes in fun games thinking "Man, if only this could somehow be made into the longest movie ever, I would watch the shit out of it."

You should play Metroid: Other M. Once you beat the game, you can view all cutscenes as a movie.

You should play Metroid: Other M. Once you beat the game, you can view all cutscenes as a movie.

You should play MGS4, you'll get to watch all cutscenes as a movie, a 10 hour movie.

You should play MGS4, you'll get to watch all cutscenes as a movie, a 10 hour movie.

EDIT: Oops, just confirmed, 6 hour movie.

EDIT: Oops, just confirmed, 6 hour movie.

I like a little cutscene in my game for the razzledazzle, but that might be a bit too much.

I like a little cutscene in my game for the razzledazzle, but that might be a bit too much.

Still makes up for it though, the story of Metal Gear games are really good, and the some gameplay you get is still really good with great attention to detail. Not to mention the bosses, oh the bosses. Anyway, the infamous MGS cutscenes are what give it its own spot on the polls.

Something that I think a fair amount of people will agree on...A game shouldn't start with a long, unskippable cutscene. When I play a game, I like to have control immediately. Get into the swing of things first, and then get into the story of the game.

I always watch them the first time. And when I replay it, I watch them again.

The significance of a lot of things and the way they are connected only becomes apparent when you have the bigger picture from later during the story. What it's themes are and stuff like that. But by then you will have forgotten about those old scenes and events.

Of course, rather then finding such things, you might discover that the whole story is a random collection of nonsensical crap with characters acting like a bunch of morons for the convenience of a plot that has no actual point.

So I guess the way I see it, any story worth experiencing once, becomes better with every rewatch... except for Metal Gear Solid because that's totally unreasonable.

Edited by BrightBow

• 2 weeks later...

I always watch cutscenes, because I love story! I always want to find out what happens next! I think the only time I ever get annoyed with them is when I get stuck on a boss and I have to keep going through a long one over again when their is no option to skip (ToS, I'm looking at you...).