Avatar the Last Airbender Mafia: D4ends 5/2 at 9:30 PM EST

scorri

I'd be surprised if certain elements were designated for specific things, but that is a possibility. If that would be the case, though, then it's a two-edged sword. Docs might be water, killers might be fire, etc. It might not be worth it to claim elements if that's the setup, but if it's not, then it might be almost a waste not to (well, in my opinion). So yeah, again, only if a majority of the people tihnk it's a good idea should anyone be claiming their element.

Bananas, that's very helpful, thank you.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm water and PGO is kind of self protecting so...

Well, I still wouldn't make assumptions without evidence.

Regardless of whether we're mass claiming elements or not, I'd be more comfortable revealing mine. I am fire nation. I am the previous Avatar.

What Eclipse said, there are a lot of redirecting roles in mafia.

IIRC, Scorri said that there weren't any Vanillas in this game either. In fact, probably more games on SF are role madness than not. But role madness doesn't mean that only important characters get strong roles. That's just sort of bad design, IMO.

Also, I'll go ahead and throw in with Boron that my element and my role have no connection to each other (I think the flavour for it is kind of weak personally, but w/e). I just think that claiming element could potentially harm town. There could easily be an anti-town role that works off people's elements.

IIRC, Scorri said that there weren't any Vanillas in this game either. In fact, probably more games on SF are role madness than not. But role madness doesn't mean that only important characters get strong roles. That's just sort of bad design, IMO.

Also, I'll go ahead and throw in with Boron that my element and my role have no connection to each other (I think the flavour for it is kind of weak personally, but w/e). I just think that claiming element could potentially harm town. There could easily be an anti-town role that works off people's elements.

Miller is still new to me, but if it's more like traditional role madness, then it won't take me long to adjust. Just different meta is all. Also, important characters getting stronger roles was usually because we had name cops instead of detective roles.

I'll also throw in that my role and my element don't coincide at all.

We're scrapping element claiming then?

I am slightly intrigued by Boron's claim and claiming the previous Avatar might be a little far fetched, aka possible safe claim for scum.

##Unvote

##Vote: Sangyul

Mancer, after people got on FTP's case for basing stuff off characters and flavour, why do you think it's a good idea to vote someone for their character/element claim?

We're scrapping element claiming then?

I am slightly intrigued by Boron's claim and claiming the previous Avatar might be a little far fetched, aka possible safe claim for scum.

##Unvote

##Vote: Sangyul

Why is it so farfetched, hm? Is it more farfetched than being a post restriction cop in schoolteacher (which, need I remind you, we got doubly lynched over)? Considering that our elements are said to be "important" and the "fire nation" in general are the villains, I'd rather just come clean with my element.

It's far-fetched to me because I think that it is unnecessary for you to have a character claim this early on when we're only discussing element claims.

Most of the villains in AtLA are Fire and I think the previous Avatar is too easy a way to excuse having that element, especially with the way you claimed your character.

Woah I'm late.

Mancer where did that vote even come from? You have no idea on what characters were used in the setup and for all we know Aang and the gang are safe claims.

This whole element claiming thing doesn't affect me one way or another because it doesn't tell anything regarding my role.

My gut is on Mancer right now because that logic is so graspy, but I believe that Millerclaim.

Arg

##Vote eclipse

It's far-fetched to me because I think that it is unnecessary for you to have a character claim this early on when we're only discussing element claims.

Most of the villains in AtLA are Fire and I think the previous Avatar is too easy a way to excuse having that element, especially with the way you claimed your character.

You claimed Zuko and your Role and your element. Why is it so ridiculous for anyone else to do the same?

You're pushing my buttons with this

Best we get the flavourspec out of the way as soon as possible, no?

Boron, is your element Fire or Fire Nation?

Eh. The only information I have is my role PM, so trying to prove/disprove things at this stage is really iffy, at best. Once there's a few more flips, it might be more relevant. For now, we have to hold everyone to their word.

Says the guy who made a character claim (in other words, you are once again barking up a tree which I see no good fruit on).

Mancer, element claiming is a bad idea, I think this is what we've decided on. Why are you still pushing it? Those coloured charts are a nice way to fake contributions without really doing anything, your Boron vote is weak and you've been calling out for claims too much.

##Unvote

##Vote: Mancer

Also element cop+alignment cop seems kind of redundant, don't you think?

Well, if she's going to claim Fire, then whether or not she claims character hardly matters, does it? We just established that character isn't an indication of role strength, so there's no real point to withhold it. It's just that claiming it doesn't really mean anything either, because the mafia presumably have character fakes, so there's really no point in discussing it. That doesn't mean that claiming it is a scummy thing to do. You're grasping, Mancer.

This may not be really convince anyone but my role cares about people's elements.

Don't like Mancer's vote in particular. The same could sorta be said of his claim, though character is mote important with a miller claim. More wiki-fu shows that Roku appears to be kind of important, so calling it far-fetched seems a bit weird (though I'm not sure how that would work as far as being alive goes? well whatever). I wouldn't be that surprised if there were some non-mafia fire people to balance things out there.

Best we get the flavourspec out of the way as soon as possible, no?

Boron, is your element Fire or Fire Nation?

Element is fire.

Also, Mancer, is that seriously the only reason you suspect me? Because claiming the previous Avatar as a fire nation character is "too convenient"? I claimed my character because I expected that people would want me to do so anyway (since I recall someone saying that "element claims don't mean much without character" -- especially if I'm fire).

Right now, you literally have no reason to think I'm scum other than claiming Roku is too easy of an excuse. Unless you know why certain characters are in this game and others are not, then your reason is stupid. (Hello, town!JB in Pokemon Adventures as Pokemon Fan Club President.)

Why is it so farfetched, hm? Is it more farfetched than being a post restriction cop in schoolteacher (which, need I remind you, we got doubly lynched over)? Considering that our elements are said to be "important" and the "fire nation" in general are the villains, I'd rather just come clean with my element.

Was there a need to include the character claim too? The character claim feels like an extra step to "prove" that she is town.

The point on coming clean with the Fire element catches my attention too.

I really don't think that element is an indication of alignment. As FTP pointed out, you could have that Earth guy who could be mafia. Azula's friend, the one with the bending-blocking abilities, can't even bend, so she doesn't even really have to be Fire element despite being allied with the Fire Nation. Therefore, I don't really think Align + Element Cop would be redundant (I just don't think an Element Cop would be that useful, or it shouldn't be, anyways).

##Unvote, ##Vote: Elieson

What's the point of that Eclipse vote?

Was there a need to include the character claim too? The character claim feels like an extra step to "prove" that she is town.

The point on coming clean with the Fire element catches my attention too.

You're being a hypocrite. Please fix this Mancer.

And hey Eclipse long time no chat. I figured I'd irritate you first and just get it out of the way.

Also leaving work now but can we please stop with this whole thing Mancer? You've really done exactly what you're boron for and I don't think you even realize it.

Mancer.

You. Are. Grasping.

You claimed your own character when you could've just said you were a town-aligned miller with a fire element. Why are you now turning on me for claiming my own character?

And why is it so weird that I'm coming clean with my fire element? Look at my posts before I claimed, namely the one where I speculated about the possibility of an "element cop". If such a thing exists, I'd rather just get it out in the open rather than waste time in a future phase trying to convince people I'm fire but town-aligned.

If your character is indeed Roku, claiming it this early could draw too much attention from scum, which is why I think it's unlikely for such an important character to be claimed so carelessly.

Imagine if you were Katara Doctor or Aang Vig, where your character is definitely important, you wouldn't carelessly claim it, would you?

Roku is quite an important character which makes me think that one wouldn't carelessly claim it on D1. Especially when your only intention was to element claim alone.