How do you guys cope with doing bad on exams?

mewyeon

Got bad grades pretty much all the time in high school so I got used to it there. Now that I'm in college, I haven't gotten less then a 8/10 (dutch scoring system) yet.

I'm in the same boat more or less, except for me it's anything less than a B. In fact, I've gotten almost nothing less than an A; just two Bs. Still done pretty horribly on certain exams during my time at college, but I pulled through with an A or B.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I deal with it because I'm completely used to it. I don't really mind. Don't understand why people can make such a big deal about these things.

Personally I think it's more of a big deal in college when many of the good graduate schools that you'd want to go to are in a GPA crunch when you want it to be as high as possible. Add that to the fact that most college exams are 20-25% of the grade in that particular class, at the very least, then you have A Big Deal.

deends on lessons, every lesson had different standards...i'll show you 2 prime examples that HAS HAPPENED in my lifetime

physics:

first physic test score: F+ (18/100) not bad not bad my STUPID intelligent brain.

Second physic test : C- (around 50), nice!! i think i did my best here.

Third physic test: B- (around 75), *goes partying*

oh and every physic test gets a +7 score due to standard score error for physics in report card. (so my third one got 82 ;D)

Math:

first: B+ (80-85) : Damn it!!

Second: C+ (60-70): mother of god... *hates math for 2 months*

Third: i don't want to post the score...

long story shoty, some lesson i am totally perfectionist, some i don't care at all (which leadse to my downfall in report card)

but if i did get a VERY VERY BAD score on a certain lesson, i think i've got blue screen of doom for a while and then i was like *screw this, i can do better next time*

Edited by Pukuriripo

Hmm. . . I personally apply a sort of mental filter to see if I should be concerned about a poor test score, which runs along the lines of:

1. Does this score have a chance of impacting my GPA? If no, forget about it and derp on.

2. Did I prioritize my studies beforehand and decide to allot time to studying for another activity instead? If yes, then I'd already been mentally prepared for a lower score and it's not a problem.

I think it comes down to managing which exams you know you need to score well on. If there was one that I knew I had to, and did, invest a lot of time in that didn't work out so well, I usually just comforted myself with the "what's done is done" mentality. That might not be the best attitude to adopt if you're not otherwise particularly studious to make up for it, though, as you could start getting ambivalent with your studies.

In any case, good luck!

(edited)...bad results, I get drunk.

I have to admit this is the reason i decided to go out drinking with my buddy. After a week of really bad midterms, I said fuck it and went drinking. It helped. A lot. Not that I promote drinking to cope with problems.

Edited by SlayerX

As long as you know you did the best you possibly can, you have no need to feel disappointed. I had an exam today, I have a feeling I failed pretty badly, but I still walked out without a problem, because I know I did the best I could.

The best advice I can possibly offer is, expect the worst. I know that's very pessimistic, but you expect the worst, you won't be disappointed. And if you do well, you'll get a nice surprise! :D

I cope by not coping; I'm pretty brutally hard on myself, and academic acumen is one of the few things I am truly prideful about. For instance, this semester, I failed to pass a single test in Japanese 102, 56/100, 44/100, and 45/100. It was a grammatically perfect class presentation and homework that scraped me up to a D in the class.

After each test, I would get angry for a few moments, but anger is seldom a helpful thing, so after the anger subsides, I start planning a study regiment....however, since high school and most of college was rather easy for me, I have neither skill nor discipline when it comes to studying...as the above test grades show...so then I usually just play video games...

I cope by not coping; I'm pretty brutally hard on myself, and academic acumen is one of the few things I am truly prideful about. For instance, this semester, I failed to pass a single test in Japanese 102, 56/100, 44/100, and 45/100. It was a grammatically perfect class presentation and homework that scraped me up to a D in the class.

See, this is because you didn't have a training montage with the weebs of SF, Rocky style.

おまえは雷を食べて、雷光を。。。。を。。。。えっと、そのことばがしらない。クラップして。

Conjugation's easy until you get to keigo and then it's like fuck this language.

I'm already preparing my apologies for future events when I make a fool of myself. Awhile ago there were some Japanese exchange students learning English that came in our class and talked with us. One really nervous guy kept calling them omaetachi, and they couldn't stop laughing at him. I don't think I'll ever get that bad, but I can tell I'm going to get the wrong keigo sometime soon and I gotta be prepared. ._____.

it is easy to unconsciously mix up the 尊敬語 and the 謙譲語 forms

an incredibly embarrassing moment for me was when i accidentally said to the entire class that i hated chinese people. (this is ironic because i am chinese.) i was trying to explain some nuanced point of view, but that's quite ambitious in a beginner's language class.

In the long term, things like work experience matter more than your grades. It's important to get the degree, but employers tend not to ask about grades much.

If you plan on going to graduate/law/etc. school grades do matter, although you don't have to do perfectly. Just try and stay above a 3.0 and you can get into a decent graduate program.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Well the thing about staying above a 3.0 is that many people who are competing for good and even decent graduate programs are above a 3.5 with solid research experiences depending on the major. Maybe you're not as pressed when you're an engineer, but with my field the average GPA accepted into graduate programs is a 3.8 so it's very easy for a bad grade to destroy you.

it is easy to unconsciously mix up the 尊敬語 and the 謙譲語 forms

an incredibly embarrassing moment for me was when i accidentally said to the entire class that i hated chinese people. (this is ironic because i am chinese.) i was trying to explain some nuanced point of view, but that's quite ambitious in a beginner's language class.

Wait what how did you do that? >__>

One person in the grade above me got kicked out for having a very visible erection when he stood up.

Should've claimed it was an optical illusion.

Conjugation's easy until you get to keigo and then it's like fuck this language.

I'm already preparing my apologies for future events when I make a fool of myself. Awhile ago there were some Japanese exchange students learning English that came in our class and talked with us. One really nervous guy kept calling them omaetachi, and they couldn't stop laughing at him. I don't think I'll ever get that bad, but I can tell I'm going to get the wrong keigo sometime soon and I gotta be prepared. ._____.

Meh, well, I'm not a particularity talkative person anyways, and have no intention of changing my citizenship anytime soon, so I'm more interested in broadening my base of being able to read and comprehend rather than communicate, so not as massively worried about messing up the forms in conversation rather than just knowing them in general.