4 New Gen6. Pokemon and New Details from Corocoro

Ema Skye

i don't remember wrap being banned ever when i played RBY and slaking has a very obvious flaw that renders it more or less unusable. you're kind of skirting around the point with the whole dominance thing, though; i never asked about whether snorlax or celebi were overcentralizing in previous generations.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the fact that most teams ran a steel type in gen 3 doesn't seem to me that steel "dominated." most teams also ran a water type in gen 3, but i bet you wouldn't admit that they dominated, either.

I think that's a bit different. Water types were and still are very common, iirc they're the most common type. Steel is a lot less common.

I think that's a bit different. Water types were and still are very common, iirc they're the most common type. Steel is a lot less common.

i don't think it's different at all. water type usage in gen 3 was centralized to a select group of pokemon. every team had to have one because not only were most of them defensively superior, but water was a decent attacking type and a great defensive type. it's the same reason why steel types were commonly used.

So apparently the English site just went fuck it and uploaded all the info about this. Is CoroCoro even out yet? It's pretty funny to see the officials just kinda give up on keeping things secret.

I think dondon is right in that type domination is more than just using a certain type. Water definitely didn't dominate gen 3 or 4 despite it being used on every team. It was mainly used for defensive purposes and it generally did not alter the course of the game in the same way that dragons in gen 4 did. Secondly, part of the reason water types were used so much was because they are the most numerous Pokemon in every gen.

Yache Garchomp took at least one pokemon down in most matches it was used. Water types never had such dominance prior to gen 5.

Edited by Olwen

Corocoro should be out now, if not in a few days.

Hiro shared the English names of the new Pokemon a few days ago, and they turned out to be correct. Naturally, I'm assuming that means that the rest of the info shared is correct as well.

Bring on the Fairies!

i don't remember wrap being banned ever when i played RBY and slaking has a very obvious flaw that renders it more or less unusable. you're kind of skirting around the point with the whole dominance thing, though; i never asked about whether snorlax or celebi were overcentralizing in previous generations.

Well, it's been banned for some years now. I don't think anybody in the current RBY comp community questions if it should return - the response would be a definitive 'no'.

Slaking has enormous phys attack with Choice Band. Switch it in a couple times, make your predictions (Hyper Beam/Shadow Ball/Focus Punch/4th slot for FB for Skarm and Forretress), see what happens. Good predictions can take down serious threats (e.g. Shadow Balling a Dusclops switching in). Gen 3 is a stall environment that pretty much requires mindgames between similarly experienced players, so Slaking functions nicely in OU.

The reason why I brought up the rest was to show one's status as a legendary or a high BST weren't really ever an indicator of which tier a mon would find itself in. Moltres and Entei always sucked for example.

I think dondon is right in that type domination is more than just using a certain type. Water definitely didn't dominate gen 3 or 4 despite it being used on every team. It was mainly used for defensive purposes and it generally did not alter the course of the game in the same way that dragons in gen 4 did. Secondly, part of the reason water types were used so much was because they are the most numerous Pokemon in every gen.

Yache Garchomp took at least one pokemon down in most matches it was used. Water types never had such dominance prior to gen 5.

Normal has even more Pokemon than Water, and the only one currently in BW in the newest gen is Blissey, so a rich representation doesn't necessarily correlate with the abundance of options. In ADV, Swampert, Gyarados, Milotic, Starmie and Suicune (Smogon says Cloyster is OU too but I don't buy that) just happened to be highly bulky Pokemon with various appealing qualities - you can't just pick a random water-type like Blastoise (which does feature all the traits dondon names) and expect it to fare well against a team that doesn't limit itself in any way.

More rumors.

Pokebeach, the publication that got the four latest Pokemon names correct, has receiveda fresh batch of rumours related to the forthcoming Pokemon X & Y. The source behind the information can’t be verified, so it’s clearly worth taking this latest batch of information with a grain of salt. That being said, Pokemon Smash will air later today, and Junichi Masuda, one of the founding members of Game Freak, will be on the show. Let’s hope we get some fresh Pokemon X & Y information. Anyway, here’s those delicious rumours.
  • Pancham evolves into Pangoro in the early level 30s. In order to evolve Pancham into Pangoro, you need to have one other Dark-type Pokemon in your party. Pangoro’s type is Fighting/Dark.
  • A Pokemon named Inkay evolves into Malimar. To evolve it, you have to hold your 3DS upside-down when it levels up (the 3DS has an accelerometer and gyroscope, so it can detect that). Malimar’s type is Dark/Psychic.
  • A Psychic-type Pokemon named Espurr (ESP + purr) evolves into Meowstick (Meow + mystic?). (Sounds like Psychic-type cats. Meowstick’s name sounds too similar to Meowth to me though.)
  • Like in B/W you have two rivals – one is friendly and the other is competitive. Your rival that is more friendly gives you his/her fully evolved starter Pokemon after you beat the game.
  • Another professor named Sycamore gives you either Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle.
  • Even though it shows the player riding on a Gogoat in the new trailer, players can’t ride on their own Pokemon. What was shown is just an alternate way of getting around Lumiose City and it only works with Gogoat.
  • HMs still exist but there’s a lot less of them.
  • Players will be able to see their Pokemon’s EVs (probably through the same in-game facility mentioned in the other post).
  • A new move, Belch, is a Poison-type attack that has a base power of 120. The user must consume a held Berry to perform it.
  • Draining Kiss is a Fairy-type attack that heals the user for the same amount of damage performed. It has a base power of 60.
  • If the previously revealed forme of Mewtwo can be said to look roughly similar to Mewtwo’s original design, the second supposed form of Mewtwo can be said to look roughly/vaguely similar to Mew’s design.
  • In case you missed our correction the other day, the Starters’ final evolutions are Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, and Water/Fighting.

...Players will be able to see their Pokemon’s EVs (probably through the same in-game facility mentioned in the other post).

Good lord I hope this is true. Pleeease let this be true.

More rumors.

• Pancham evolves into Pangoro in the early level 30s. In order to evolve Pancham into Pangoro, you need to have one other Dark-type Pokemon in your party. Pangoro’s type is Fighting/Dark.
  • Interesting way of evolution. Seems interesting.
  • A Pokemon named Inkay evolves into Malimar. To evolve it, you have to hold your 3DS upside-down when it levels up (the 3DS has an accelerometer and gyroscope, so it can detect that). Malimar’s type is Dark/Psychic.
  • More interesting evolution methods. Maybe we'll get a lot (or at least a good chunk) of evolutions be done in some odd way. Either way, Malimar seems interesting, although I get 'gimmick Pokemon' vibes.
  • A Psychic-type Pokemon named Espurr (ESP + purr) evolves into Meowstick (Meow + mystic?). (Sounds like Psychic-type cats. Meowstick’s name sounds too similar to Meowth to me though.)
  • Maybe it's some kind of Meowth/Persian expy.
  • Like in B/W you have two rivals – one is friendly and the other is competitive. Your rival that is more friendly gives you his/her fully evolved starter Pokemon after you beat the game.
  • Seems cool, though the part where the one rival gives away their starter seems really weird, and a bit suspicious.
  • Another professor named Sycamore gives you either Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle.
  • Tee hee, Sycamore. Honestly though, I'm not that surprised by random past-gen starter giving away stuff anymore.
  • Even though it shows the player riding on a Gogoat in the new trailer, players can’t ride on their own Pokemon. What was shown is just an alternate way of getting around Lumiose City and it only works with Gogoat.
  • Darn, but it still seems interesting that this is for the one city. It would have to have some reason besides coolness factor to ride it over using the Bike/its possible replacement (roller blades?).
  • HMs still exist but there’s a lot less of them.
  • As long as we have our 'core 4' (Cut, Fly, Surf, and Strength), or at least the not Cut ones, I'm happy.
  • Players will be able to see their Pokemon’s EVs (probably through the same in-game facility mentioned in the other post).
  • Sounds very useful. Makes EV training much more easy.
  • A new move, Belch, is a Poison-type attack that has a base power of 120. The user must consume a held Berry to perform it.
  • Sounds useless, considering that you only could use it once per battle. Though if they add in a 'mid-battle item equip' mechanic...
  • Draining Kiss is a Fairy-type attack that heals the user for the same amount of damage performed. It has a base power of 60.
  • I like the Fairy Drain Punch/Mega Drain, depending on if it's physical/special.
  • If the previously revealed forme of Mewtwo can be said to look roughly similar to Mewtwo’s original design, the second supposed form of Mewtwo can be said to look roughly/vaguely similar to Mew’s design.
  • How would it look roughly/vaguely similar to Mew though I wonder. Would it become pinkish? Would it become smaller? Would it appear kinder? This seems interesting.
  • In case you missed our correction the other day, the Starters’ final evolutions are Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, and Water/Fighting.
  • Let's see, some kind of suspicious looking/dark hedgehog/whatever Chespin is, a psychic fox, and a not-Poliwrath. I approve. (I'm not being sarcastic.)

So then, this is very interesting stuff.

Also, when reading the link thing on the last page from Ranger Jack, where it has the Pokemon Smash summary thing, during the section around Sylveon's type, it said that the Sylveon was instantly defeated by the guy with the oil drum, which is usually made out of steel. It also had that it 'immediately started choking and gagging' on the smell, representing poison type. The original rumored info about the fairy type and its weaknesses and whatnot had it be weak to steel and poison. Putting two and two together and things start to seem to make sense with the fairy type rumor. This maybe something that people picked up on right away if they read the page, but I felt like stating this because this seems interesting.

Edited by Konnor97

• 2 weeks later...

I figured Sylveon was a flying type. It's certainly not Sylvan-eon, because we already have lefeon. So all I see is a Sylph-eon. It's super-light, right? And honestly, I've never gotten rid of this Skyla/Fuuro vibe ever since I saw the thing. Seems I'm not the only one either, based on googling them together.

Sylphs, while associated strongly with air (and hence flying), are considered a part of the fey and supernatural. The whimsical colour scheme and lack of wings on Sylveon, plus the featurette on Pokemon Smash basically confirmed the rumours of a new type. Nothing in the game exists that is weak to both steel and poison, but Sylveon is. While "fairy" Pokemon have been relegated to being normal or psychic types before, Gamefreak has shown that they are willing to retype existing Pokemon. Magnemite is made of metal and it was an obvious fit for rebranding into a steel type. Clefairy is definitely going to see itself sub-typed into fairy at the very least, and Snubbull is also a possibility.

Now, with those new rumours, some of them seem so gimmicky to be true, but so long as there are hints in-game of how you're supposed to evolve new mons (like how BW hinted you should trade Shelmet and Karrablast) I guess it won't be so bad. I'm disappointed that riding a Gogoat is relegated only to a certain area and isn't a cool bike replacement.

Two more new pokemon were revealed in the trailer for X&Y a dragon flying called noivern and a flying bug type called vivillion.

Plus the official reveal of the Fairy type. Current known members: Sylveon, Jigglypuff, Marill, and Gardevoir. There is obviously going to be others (because if Clefairy wasn't going to be a Fairy but Jigglypuff is...), but those are the confirmed ones. Jigglypuff's and Marill's evolution family are also most likely Fairy type. But yeah, this makes me love Jigglypuff's line even more.

I find curious that on the official site, Noivern is sited as Flying/Dragon. As in, with Flying as the main type.

pokemon-x-y-e3-new-character.jpgpokemon-x-y-e3-new-pokemon-2.jpg

First one has a character asking "Would you like to have a sky battle with me?"

Second one is a levitating Haunter and some new bird.

Sooo, those Hiro rumors are becoming more and more true by the day.

Yeah it looks like its the second form of flecthling. I think the other two are a water/electric and a water/poison(I think dark but its using a poison move).

Also just saw this.

TL;DR – The source seems to be genuine, but still take the information below with a grain of salt. We are classifying it as unconfirmed. Do not soil our beach sand with red liquid if it turns out to be fake. :p

Fairy will be a new type. It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it.

Sylveon is Fairy-type. Some older Pokemon will be reclassified to Fairy, such as Mawile (Steel/Fairy).

Mewtwo has two new formes, not just one. Both are activated via items.

The professor’s English name is Patrice.

The Starter final evolutions are Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, and Water/Fighting.

The first Gym is Bug, the second is Fairy, and the fourth is Fighting.

A few attacks will be dual-typed.

There will be a new type of battling style that Flying-type Pokemon and Pokemon with Levitate can participate in.

You will be able to see a Pokemon’s EVs at a certain in-game facility. You will be able to boost the EVs through mini-games. It will take about two hours to get one stat to max EVs.