Least Favorite Pairing(s)

There are a few pairings I particularly dislike in this game:

Chrom/feMU - the fanfic writer in me wants to throw things when I see a self-insert marry a main character, because it's almost always poorly done. I felt their supports were lackluster compared to male MU's supports, and I disagree with people who say that marrying the Avatar and Chrom makes the story more "special". I think that a Chrom who can say everything he does to an Avatar who is a friend is a better person than a Chrom who only says it to his spouse. I feel that friendship should not be considered as a "lesser" bond than romance, nor should friends take a backseat to significant others.

Nah/Inigo, Nah/Gerome, and Nah/Laurent - I don't like the way Nah pretty much forced Inigo and Gerome to marry her, and I don't like the way she treats Laurent.

Tharja/Libra - I dislike how she explicitly says in the S support that he will always be second to your Avatar. I felt so bad for Libra.

another hater, bless

I think that pairing was overshipped to the brink that makes me hate them even more. Wish that people pair him with someone better instead. FeMU for life.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chrom/feMU - the fanfic writer in me wants to throw things when I see a self-insert marry a main character, because it's almost always poorly done. I felt their supports were lackluster compared to male MU's supports, and I disagree with people who say that marrying the Avatar and Chrom makes the story more "special". I think that a Chrom who can say everything he does to an Avatar who is a friend is a better person than a Chrom who only says it to his spouse. I feel that friendship should not be considered as a "lesser" bond than romance, nor should friends take a backseat to significant others.

I'm going to guess you either avoid the Fire Emblem FF.net/AO3 section, or you're training to have MU's amazing rock-throwing skills.

But yes to everything you've said. Chrom in my eyes will always be an amazing-ish friend, and I don't need him to be my husbando to overlap/overshadow that friendship.

I'm going to guess you either avoid the Fire Emblem FF.net/AO3 section, or you're training to have MU's amazing rock-throwing skills.

But yes to everything you've said. Chrom in my eyes will always be an amazing-ish friend, and I don't need him to be my husbando to overlap/overshadow that friendship.

Funny story. I've been a member of FF.net since 2002 or so, which is where my thoughts on self-inserts marrying main characters comes from in the first place.

EDIT: I mean, I don't care what people ship and I'm not going to bother them about it. But I just get rather irritated whenever people say that feMU/Chrom is "the most canon" or "makes the story better" or get ridiculously overprotective of their fictional spouse.

Edited by Sangyul

another hater, bless

I think that pairing was overshipped to the brink that makes me hate them even more. Wish that people pair him with someone better instead. FeMU for life.

Libra is my current lady Avatar's husbando. :):

Libra/Lissa is far superior in every way shape and form. So Tharja/Libra only got paired once on my runs.

Funny story. I've been a member of FF.net since 2002 or so, which is where my thoughts on self-inserts marrying main characters comes from in the first place.

EDIT: I mean, I don't care what people ship and I'm not going to bother them about it. But I just get rather irritated whenever people say that feMU/Chrom is "the most canon" or "makes the story better" or get ridiculously overprotective of their fictional spouse.

Eeeyup. It only gets better when they hate on Sumia or any of Chrom's potential wives. I can shrug off the in-game Sumia nudging like water off a duck's back, but that is a different story.

I hate Colette but for a completely different reason.

...Or more like a reason like I just find her extremely annoying. Doesn't help that I didn't really like the game as much as other Tales game (like Legendia), so it's just me. But I still used her though even if I hated her.

Sometimes, I'll still use some characters that I dislike or find annoying if I find they are actually useful in battle. unless I absolutely abhor them to the point that I become unreasonable and irrational.

Lol, I think I may have mentioned it to you before, but Shirley (Legendia) is the one I find most annoying. She and Colette are both the typical damsels in need of help, but at least Colette actually tries to help herself out of situations; Shirley not only doesn't help, she makes her problems even worse. I hate that the two are so often compared as the same....and as much as I like Legendia, she's sadly the reason that I'm sometimes turned off from playing it....

But yeah, I can sorta see why some people may find Colette annoying, but I'm surprised at how much vitriol she apparently got....

...Did I really start a thing over Colette? My bad?

...anyways: Having seen it, I now officially can say, I really, really, really hate Gerome/Lucina. GODS! BAD PAIRING!

I mean, Donnel/Cordelia is still probably the worst (once again >_< Thank you... GameFAQs.) but Gerome/Lucina was just plain bad.

Doesn't help that I didn't really like the game as much as other Tales game (like Legendia)

!!! Wow, I'm surprised to hear this. I don't know that many people that actually like Legendia. I think majority of the fans that I know like Symphonia the most (Which I honestly never got the opportunity to play...) Of the newer-ish Tales games, Legendia's my favorite too. It had that nostalgic close-knit friends vibe that Phantasia and Destiny had (Which along with Legendia are the three of my favorite Tales games haha)

To be honest though, I missed out on a lot of the recent games. The last one I played was Abyss, which I didn't like that much... Tear and the main character (Luke was it?) were a bit too down for my taste. I gave up on Abyss quite early though. I've had numerous people tell me that it gets better so I think I'll give it a try again soon!

Edited by pinkbubblegum

!!! Wow, I'm surprised to hear this. I don't know that many people that actually like Legendia. I think majority of the fans that I know like Symphonia the most (Which I honestly never got the opportunity to play...) Of the newer-ish Tales games, Legendia's my favorite too. It had that nostalgic close-knit friends vibe that Phantasia and Destiny had (Which along with Legendia are the three of my favorite Tales games haha)

To be honest though, I missed out on a lot of the recent games. The last one I played was Abyss, which I didn't like that much... Tear and the main character (Luke was it?) were a bit too down for my taste. I gave up on Abyss quite early though. I've had numerous people tell me that it gets better so I think I'll give it a try again soon!

Abyss... eeeeh....

I gotta say, I didn't exactly like a whole lot of it...

[spoiler=I've gotta rant now, sorry, but I will put it in this tag]

Yeah, Luke and Tear are major downer characters. This adds in the fact that Natalia and Anise manage to be kinda annoying. (Do. not. get me. started. on Mieu.) Guy is a pretty awesome dude, not gonna lie, and Jade is amazingly epic, but that's 2 characters out of the whole cast.

Regarding that whole "development" thing: BLECH. Luke starts off a jerkass, which is different, and dare I say it, fairly cool? Then you hit Akzeriuth Shaft 14. This is the Tower of Salvation scene equivalent. But unlike the Tower of Salvation, you don't meet the Crowning Moment of Awesome, instead you're handed the Dethroning Moment of Suck in what I'd say is one of the worst scenes in gaming. Yeah, you're used and betrayed, and shocking crap happens, but that's not the problem. No, it's the reaction to the scenario-- they play up this grand thing and everyone in the cast, and hell the plot itself tries to point at Luke, which if you paid any goddamn attention to what's happened, isn't correct at all. The party suddenly hates Luke- for him fully justifiably stating that it isn't his fault (PAY ATTENTION: IT ISN'T! Asch wasn't any one to be trusted what so ever- ambiguous intentions, but he was, up to that point, shown to the cast and player alike as nothing other than a villain! Then Luke got MIND CONTROLLED.) Sure, it's a shock that 10,000 people just died, but the party did point their fingers at Luke (which isn't right, at all) and then when he broke down and cried about their accusations (which is fully reasonable, thank you) the party essentially throws him out. (Except Tear because she decided to ditch everyone, and ultimately Guy because he's cool) At this point, Luke undergoes his "change" and goes from jerkass to full on generic-emo-male lead. The problem of Wangsty Luke goes on for a solid chunk of the game-- and actually intensifies following a certain boss who we see fall off a cliff.

Luke does pull around though, at the extreme end of the game: about 85-90% of the way to the finish, once you complete a dungeon called the Tower of Rem (It's the Tower of Salvation (under construction!). What do you expect is going to happen here?!) and he finds out he'll be dead soon, and decides that he wants to live it out as best he can. That's great, but the problem is, he's insufferably bad and irritating up until that point-- this can work for a written work, but for a video game, no, it just doesn't.

As far as the whole thing on the Six God Generals?

Hmm... Only "good" one is Dist. I find the others to be insufferable, and I wish you could kill Arietta sooner. (I prefer the Cardinals from Symphonia for secondary villains, honestly.)

Also Abyss introduced Broken Run into the series.

Nah/Inigo, Nah/Gerome, and Nah/Laurent - I don't like the way Nah pretty much forced Inigo and Gerome to marry her, and I don't like the way she treats Laurent.

Uh, I'm agree with this, but I don't hate the pairings

Anyway, probably my least favorite pairing probably is Chrom x VillagerGirl... Sorry villager girl Lol

Any and all complaints about the Tales characters/series should NOT be in this forum, let alone this topic. Depending on the content, it should be in Other Games/Far From the Forest.

Back to the regularly scheduled topic.

Tharja/Libra - I dislike how she explicitly says in the S support that he will always be second to your Avatar. I felt so bad for Libra.

There. I agree with you again

I never really like Chrom x FeMU as well.

I don't care how awesome Lucina and Morgan will be, I just can't like it.

and for Nah..

It's more like Nah x everyone who's not male!Morgan.

Good thing their support is so cute.

Her non-Morgan and non-Yarne romantic supports don't cut it for me. I can't remember Brady's and Owain's very well, but I did not like how in her S supports she pretty much forces Inigo and Gerome to marry her. And I definitely did NOT like her conduct towards Laurent in their entire support. I don't really like Nah as a character either, soo ...

Her non-Morgan and non-Yarne romantic supports don't cut it for me. I can't remember Brady's and Owain's very well, but I did not like how in her S supports she pretty much forces Inigo and Gerome to marry her. And I definitely did NOT like her conduct towards Laurent in their entire support. I don't really like Nah as a character either, soo ...

But Laurent always looks at people with his lecherous eyes. Examining them intently and all that.

Nah would bother me LESS if she didn't keep bringing up how her mother is soooo immature and has not a care in the world. For all her claimed maturity, Nah is very immature when it comes to most of her potential lovers and dealing with affairs of the heart. And it's not okay to call Laurent a pedophile and threaten to tell the entire camp that. Personally, the S support makes it worse.

Nah would bother me LESS if she didn't keep bringing up how her mother is soooo immature and has not a care in the world. For all her claimed maturity, Nah is very immature when it comes to most of her potential lovers and dealing with affairs of the heart. And it's not okay to call Laurent a pedophile and threaten to tell the entire camp that. Personally, the S support makes it worse.

That's the joke.

And Laurent kept looking at her all weird like. Without saying a word.

Personally I find their supports adorable.

The Chrom X FRobin support is funny but obviously is meant to appeal to fan girls who love the guy despite who little personality he has so I don't like it for that reason

Chrom X Sumia haters only don't like the pairing because they want Chrom for themselves "WHY ONLY PIESGDGDKGDAFIA!?!?!?!?"

there are much more boring supports than that for more reasons

Laurent is just a observer trying to make the army more efficient not a creep

Edited by FeFish

The Chrom X FRobin support is funny but obviously is meant to appeal to fan girls who love the guy despite who little personality he has so I don't like it for that reason

Chrom X Sumia haters only don't like the pairing because they want Chrom for themselves "WHY ONLY PIESGDGDKGDAFIA!?!?!?!? there are much more boring supports than that for more reasons

Gerome/Lucina

Donnel/Cordelia

MaMU/Say'ri

To name a few.

But Laurent always looks at people with his lecherous eyes. Examining them intently and all that.

Must be the hat.

And the glasses.

Chrom X Sumia haters only don't like the pairing because they want Chrom for themselves "WHY ONLY PIESGDGDKGDAFIA!?!?!?!?"

there are much more boring supports than that for more reasons

Some of them are not haters for their support convos only,

Sumia-haters, Chrom's fans.. something like that.

I mean, their auto-marriage cutscene was so cute (and without pies!)