Rescue or Pair Up

Jotari

What would you like to see in future versions of Fire Emblem? Has Pair Up stolen your heart as a game mechanic or do you still believe in the practical uses of rescue? Or could you see them both being implemented in one game?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rescue went from protecting the other unit while gimping the rescuer to protecting the other unit AND providing crazy stat boosts to the rescuer. Pair Up is far too over powered. I like it but I much prefer Rescue if only for balance's sake.

Doesn't really matter to me since I never really cared much for the rescue feature. However, I'd really like pair up to be balanced out.

Pair Up is just a terribly implemented mechanic. Somewhat ironically, it discourages teamwork, instead promoting the so-called juggernaut paradigm: the few good units on your team get strong very quickly, while the others fall behind just as quickly and find use only as staff/transport utility.

Pair Up is crazy overpowered. There's almost no reason not to use Pair Up unless you want to be weaker for some reason (like luring an enemy).

Well, there are specific situations where you don't want to use Pair Up. For example, if your two tough units need to block a chokepoint to protect units behind them, you wouldn't want them paired up, or, if you need multiple player phase actions. However, since FE13 favours rapid boss-kills, or killing huge waves of enemies on enemy phase with a strong unit, those situations almost never crop up.

if Pair up was more balanced, it'd be nice (being able to Canto away after rescuing someone was stupid)

continuing with what Anouleth said, more defense missions would have made not pairing up more useful

(being able to Canto away after rescuing someone was stupid)

what that was like, the best part of rescue

continuing with what Anouleth said, more defense missions would have made not pairing up more useful

i doubt it. a defense map in fire emblem is just a euphemism for a rout map that you can't finish early.

i doubt it. a defense map in fire emblem is just a euphemism for a rout map that you can't finish early.

Yeah but add in massive enemy density like some of the later chapters in awakening and Lunatic+ and suddenly you are thankful for the option to defend instead of rout.

Some games also have chapters where you must survive a certain number of turns meaning if you to manage to rout it your doing pretty well for yourself.

Combine them? Remove pairing up on one space and replace it with Rescue, but keep the pair up when one ally is adjacent to another ally.

If that made sense?

Rescue makes more sense to me (FE5 Rescue, that is, where you can't do silly stuff like Innes rescuing L'Arachel).

Much as I like them, a defence chapter can, and should be designed to prevent unarmed tanks from stopping the enemy 100%, e.g. give enemies the Pass skill, moving siege attackers, less convenient choke points, some kind of capture/shove mechanic on unarmed units.

Edited by Baldrick

Well, there are specific situations where you don't want to use Pair Up. For example, if your two tough units need to block a chokepoint to protect units behind them, you wouldn't want them paired up

Well then, just don't pair those two units up with each other.

As for Rescue, I don't use it much, if ever, so I'm not bothered if it returns or not.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Rescue. Does exactly what it says on the tin, has its merits and flaws, and provides some cute tricks. It provides a fallback if you make a mistake, too.

With Pair up, it's very difficult to rescue someone other than with a rescue staff. It massively devalues soft, non-combat units like dancers and healers.

Worse still, Pair up brings FE closer to Super Robot Wars' "less is more" problems. Anyone who isn't a great combat unit is going to be a liability since you can't easily keep them out of range.

...and then we get into the fact that supports matter too much, and the impact of who you're paired up with...

No, pair up is just far too restrictive. Maybe keep dual attack/guard from someone adjacent to you, but otherwise Rescue is just much better.

Edited by LunaSaint