Aesthetic Changes

ZaHiro86

Ok, I love fire emblem, I really do. The whole medieval theme is great and I really enjoy it. But you know Europe wasn't the only area to have people running around on horses while stabbing people with lances. What do you guys think of an aesthetic change?

Some examples:

Japan (yay samurai)

China (famous for its cavaliers)

Greece (I wanna be a spartan on a Pegasus)

Norway (Vikings are awesome)

Native americans (tomohawks)

Or even more modern settings. Oh, India is cool too

What do you guys think? And any other ideas?

Fire Emblem doesn't take place in Europe, that's just an aesthetic/stylistic choice that helps bind the series together. Having it resemble something else...just wouldn't be Fire Emblem.

Fire Emblem is more antiquity for the most part. But admittedly the difference is hard to tell these days. But personally I don't consider that theme overused at all.

And Awakening being Victorian era themed was also pretty nice and kept things fresh.

I am still hoping for that Fire Emblem Mars setting, though.

Edited by BrightBow

Awakening being Victorian era themed was also pretty nice and kept things fresh.

Yes, it was so much fun firing muskets and cannons against the enemy just people did like in the Crimean War.

Oh wait! We're still using medieval weaponry, such as javelins, never mind.

Fire Emblem doesn't take place in Europe, that's just an aesthetic/stylistic choice that helps bind the series together. Having it resemble something else...just wouldn't be Fire Emblem.

So you mean there's not a continent in Europe called Ylisse :O???

I can agree that it may change the feeling a little bit but I don't think you have to overdo it. Just change armor desisns and make the iron sword look like the traditional broadsword of that age and you're set.

The gba myrmidon/swordmaster class is already based off of non-European swordsman. Just do more of that

Hmm. We already have had Myrmidons and Nomads with an eastern Asian aesthetic in the Elibe series. I wouldn't mind seeing other classes with some other cultural aesthetic as well.

I always associated mages and sages with ancient Persia, since the word "mage" is derived from the Old Persian word "magush," which referred to a caste of Zoroastrian priests and scholars. Not that I know much about ancient Persian fashion, but what tvtropes says about the "Robe and Wizard Hat" trope suggests a connection with the Zoroastrian magi.

Cavaliers and Paladins having a Chinese aesthetic would be interesting too, although the words "cavalier" and "paladin" are derived from Italian and Old French respectively.

Was any particular culture well known for its battle-axes? I can't imagine what sort of culture Fighters and Warriors would represent. Gauls, maybe?

Mercenaries are just strong guys with big swords, and Heroes are just strong guys with big swords (or axes) and gigantic shields, so I guess they could fit in practically any cultural aesthetic (although the Spartans were particularly well known for their big, sturdy shields).

While the Vikings weren't particularly well known for their battle-axes as far as I know, they were particularly well known for their piracy; I'd imagine that Pirates and Berserkers (and maybe Brigands) would best be shown as Vikings (as I think they are in the GBA games).

Shamans and Druids... hmm. The Druids were from Gaul and Britain before Julius Caesar's conquest, and the Shamans were priests of the Ural-Altaic peoples, who I believe come from Siberia or some other part of Asia. Not much connection between them, anyway. In any case, associating practitioners of dark magic with any real-life culture would have unfortunate implications.

Knights and Generals could come from late medieval or Renaissance-era Europe, I think, or possibly late-Republican or Imperial Rome. I can't think of any other cultures that had footsoldiers wearing cumbersome but effective suits of plate armor.

So you mean there's not a continent in Europe called Ylisse :O???

No man, there totally is. They just renamed it to "England" when they found out noone knew how the fuck to pronounce it.

Go mecha dragons!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoGYSvpJeII

This comes to mind for me.

While the Vikings weren't particularly well known for their battle-axes as far as I know, they were particularly well known for their piracy; I'd imagine that Pirates and Berserkers (and maybe Brigands) would best be shown as Vikings (as I think they are in the GBA games).

In addition to that, Dice from FE12 comes to mind.

DICE.PNG

Also he has a gambling addiction, like any good Pokemon protagonist. Didn't the Vikings used to train creatures like that too, I saw that in How To Train Your Dragon.

Edited by Refa