SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R.O.B is a bit too unique to leave. As much as I don't like him very much. I have to say he's part of the roster and will most likely show back up.

I didn't think ROB even really had a series. :/

GYROMITE

...and Stack Up, I guess.

R.O.B. is a required peripheral for the games Stack-Up and Gyromite, with the player taking control of ROB to solve puzzles in the game. (ninja'd)

However even though I really like R.O.B. as a character in Brawl, and he was a pivotal character in Subspace Emissary, I feel like either he or G&W should hit the dusty trail. He kind of lacks an endearing quality that makes a character like Villager an exciting new addition.

I'll explain R.O.B.'s role in gaming further in depth:

Back during the video game crash of 1983, English countries actually started hating everything regarding video games, and even mentioning the words "video game" would get people mad and disgusted, thanks to games like ET for Atari 2600 and Pac Man for Atari 2600 that were received poorly.

However, video games in Japan were insanely popular at the time, thanks to the Famicom (the Japanese equivalent of the NES). Gaming actually became popular in Japan thanks to Japan catching on to arcade machines that North Americans first invented (video games actually originated in North America and not Japan). They were planning to release the Famicom in North America, but after they learned about the bitterness North America had towards video games, they changed their approach to marketing the Famicom. They changed the design from a top loading console to a VCR like device and called the cartridges "cassettes" (so people wouldn't think it's a video game console), they advertised it as an Entertainment System rather than a video game system (hence why it's called the "Nintendo Entertainment System," so people wouldn't be all like "gross, another video game system"), and they had R.O.B. along with the system at launch (which came with Gyromite at launch, with Stack Up which is also compatible with R.O.B. being released a while later), so people would think it's a toy rather than a video game, and more people would buy it. People bought it thinking it was a remote control robot, only to find out it was actually a game console when they brought it home. But when they played the launch "cassettes" for NES (with Super Mario Bros. being one of the launch titles), they didn't mind at all since they found the games fun and their love for video games was rekindled. The result, R.O.B. basically served as a trojan horse to North American video gaming, and helped revitalize the industry and interest in video games there. You can't tell me that's not important or insignificant to Nintendo's history, or the history of gaming as a whole for that matter.

250px-NES-ROB.jpg

It's kind of suprising how much Smash Bros. gets you to research the more obscure characters and learn about gaming history.

Edited by Randoman

it's better than gamefaqs :P

and yes, R.O.B is really important to the industry and I wish people would stop proclaiming that he needs to leave. Though I don't know why they made him seem so... generic in the Subspace Emissary. =/

Frankly I don't think there's much real point in speculating what's most likely to happen in a new smash game, not just because with speculation we won't know for sure until release, but because Sakurai in particular just kinda seems to do whatever strikes his fancy

Like, having the Ice Climbers back when melee came out- I wasn't actually predicting and paying attention to character inclusion when I was friggin eight or anything, and when I saw them in, being eight I just kinda went "oh okay cool," but if now-me had seen them then I just would've been dumbstruck if I were actually trying to predict in characters. Pit in brawl, back when, to my knowledge, he didn't even have a game in the works and he hadn't seen the light of day since Captain N? I literally didn't even know he existed, so just "The fuck is this guy!?" I believe, was my response. I know I didn't see ROB coming either, and though I was overjoyed to find out Olimar was in, the dude still wouldn't have a totally new entry displayed to be in the works for years, so it's not like Sakurai has ever gone by some really strict criteria.

Now he has even come out and said, "even if a character has current relevance, and even if they'd easily fit into a fighting game, we won't put them in if I don't feel like it aren't guaranteed to feel like we can do them justice, so we might just leave them out because we can't think of a way to make them fit."

I'm tempted to say we could be setting ourselves up for disappointment just by trying to put any rhyme or reason into predicting what they'll decide to put in.

Edited by Rehab

New picture of the day. I do have to say I love the cutting through air effect the attacks have it looks really cool

June27thSmash4Update_zps0ba65b3c.jpg

They kind of look like silhouettes of monsters, perhaps from either Pokemon or Kirby.

Yeah, I was thinking the same as well. The figures vary in shape too much to be humans. But a boxing ring level seems suitable for Punch Out, which would have human spectators.

So what series do you think the boxing ring level represents? I'm leaning either towards it being Smash Bros. specific (with the Smash logo being prominently featured in the level) or Punch Out related (being a boxing ring and all).

Frankly I don't think there's much real point in speculating what's most likely to happen in a new smash game, not just because with speculation we won't know for sure until release, but because Sakurai in particular just kinda seems to do whatever strikes his fancy

Like, having the Ice Climbers back when melee came out- I wasn't actually predicting and paying attention to character inclusion when I was friggin eight or anything, and when I saw them in, being eight I just kinda went "oh okay cool," but if now-me had seen them then I just would've been dumbstruck if I were actually trying to predict in characters. Pit in brawl, back when, to my knowledge, he didn't even have a game in the works and he hadn't seen the light of day since Captain N? I literally didn't even know he existed, so just "The fuck is this guy!?" I believe, was my response. I know I didn't see ROB coming either, and though I was overjoyed to find out Olimar was in, the dude still wouldn't have a totally entry displayed to be in the works for years, so it's not like Sakurai has ever gone by some really strict criteria.

Now he has even come out and said, "even if a character has current relevance, and even if they'd easily fit into a fighting game, we won't put them in if I don't feel like it aren't guaranteed to feel like we can do them justice, so we might just leave them out because we can't think of a way to make them fit."

I'm tempted to say we could be setting ourselves up for disappointment just by trying to put any rhyme or reason into predicting what they'll decide to put in.

Well said. I think the main thing to remember is to not get our hopes up and not get too disappointed if our requested or guessed characters don't get in. As I said before, I never would've expected or wanted Ice Climbers, Marth, or R.O.B. to have been in Smash Bros. (especially since I didn't know Marth existed and I barely knew R.O.B.), yet here they are and they became my most some of my best and most favourite Smash Bros. characters.

It's still fun to guess and see if we're right about the SSB4 newcomers, especially with a director like Sakurai who really likes making suprise choices. I mean, don't you have fun trying to guess and being all excited and happy when you're right? As long as we don't get too disappointed by the roster regarding our expectations and the guessing, it's all good. I mean, getting all hurt and upset over a game completely defeats the purpose of it. I will admit, I do get a bit too angry about "Lucina will replace Marth" posts, which I really shouldn't let get to me.

Other then just a Smash Bros or Punch Out!! Stage it also reminds me of The boxing ring Kirby fights Dedede in slightly.

Now that I look again, they mostly look like people with their hands up, except one looks like it has a wing.

Hey guys. Today's daily picture is up and it's finally something interesting!

not

1urCkRg.jpg

Edited by Dinfinitysignfina

Hey guys. Today's daily picture is up and it's finally something interesting!

not

1urCkRg.jpg

We need Rocky music for this Mario training montage

HEh, I got a different thought about that picture... more in the likes of "That's not flying, it's falling with style!" sort of thing...