SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ghirahim has a better chance than her. He's more important in the game, and has more defined moves. He's practically asking to be in Smash.

And Impa isn't nearly as important..? Ghirahim may have been the main antagonist(for the most part), but Impa did quite a bit in the game, too.

Not as much as Ghirahim. You fight him three times, he shows up several more, he summoned the tornado that swept up Zelda and threw away Link, and he friggin resurrects the final boss. He also summoned/controlled all the enemies Link fights. Impa just mostly gives tips and information and guides Zelda.

I brought up Impa as a Sheik replacement if Zelda were to lose her transformation gimmick. Also, Impa has been in 6 games (7 if you count a cameo in stained glass in Wind Waker), whereas Ghirahim is a one-off character. While most appearances of Impa are that of an old lady or a big fat lady, her most iconic roles in Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword have her as one tough warrior.

As for Sheik's gender, I actually think based on the official art that Sheik IS a man, due to his shoulder-hip ratio and wide, defined pectorals compared to Zelda and waaay different voice. However, Melee and Brawl Sheik and the Sheik concept art for Twilight Princess are more distinctively female. So it looks like over time Sheik was made to be a male-themed disguise of Zelda rather than a full-on transformation into a man like in OoT.

I'd prefer Vaati as an additional Zelda villain because he's been in more than one game, though he would be a weird choice thematically without Toon Link.

If Toon Link is cut, then there really aren't a lot of options for Zelda characters beyond Tingle, Ghirahim and Skull Kid.

I guess the Link between Worlds Link could be possibly interesting, but what do you call the character? Paper Link?

idk, Ghirahim doesn't really speak Nintendo All-Star to me. I can really only see him being a character added late in development if they decide "Hey we need a new Zelda character" because I wouldn't consider him a priority early in development like most veterans, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Mega Man were.

I'd prefer Vaati as an additional Zelda villain because he's been in more than one game, though he would be a weird choice thematically without Toon Link.

If Toon Link is cut, then there really aren't a lot of options for Zelda characters beyond Tingle, Ghirahim and Skull Kid.

I guess the Link between Worlds Link could be possibly interesting, but what do you call the character? Paper Link?

idk, Ghirahim doesn't really speak Nintendo All-Star to me. I can really only see him being a character added late in development if they decide "Hey we need a new Zelda character" because I wouldn't consider him a priority early in development like most veterans, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Mega Man were.

Mmm. Agreeing with this and adding a few things:

They are a few more options besides that: Fi's a faint possibility. Since she is the spirit of the game's most iconic weapon and starred in the prequel, her existence has basically been rewritten into every game made before Skyward Sword. Therefore, she's technically in every game the sword is.

[/shrugs]

If they do remove the Sheik/Zelda transformation, I'd love to see Impa. She actually IS very plot important, as she's protected Zelda for a good portion of the game and assisting Link on his quest. She's practically

Hylia's guardian, all things considering.

And yes, Ghiraham is a cool villian and all, but, once again, we'd have ANOTHER sword-user. If the roster from Brawl is staying, then we already have Ike, Marth, possibly Chrom, Meta Knight, Link and Toon Link with swords. And Sakurai did want to use unique characters, so... that hurts his chances a bit.

Edited by Vashiane

So's Pit, essentially. Dual blades.

Stretching a bit, but yeah. The only thing I have so ask is this: is his bow his blades put together, or are his blades his bow taken apart?

Oh yeah, Vaati is actually my favorite Zelda villain of all. But he hasn't appeared in a game since Minish Cap and that's why I want Ghirahim a bit more. But if not Ghirahim, then Vaati! :D

The new pic on the site. While it looks nice. its nothing really new.

Enjoy the view of Link spin attacking over Skyloft. Or as the Mangas call the attack. Kaitengiri

June25thSmash4Update_zps82586fd1.jpg

Edited by Jedi

This is an interesting interview. Not sure if it has already been posted:

http://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390

So if you're ever wondering why the roster isn't as impressive as you'd hoped, just blame it on the 3DS limitations.

But customising your characters on the 3DS and then transferring them to the Wii U version sounds neat to me.

Edited by Raven

If you guys haven't already checked out the new website, then you may not have seen the next newcomer: Wii Fit Trainer.

I honestly don't care who is a part of the new roster at this point, they're all moot compared to the awesomeness that is the Wii Fit Trainer Mega Man.

nobias

Personally I rather see Toad in before Geno. He's been relevant in many Nintendo games and is iconic figure.

Hahahahahaha, Toad, iconic.

"I'M SORRY BUT YOUR MOST WANTED CHARACTER IS IN ANOTHER GAME!"

I only see Mewtwo getting in now if they do something neat with his new form(s). Roy needs something unique though I guess if they can do a fire sword based setup with him then awesome.

Instead of copying from Shanan, he can copy from FE13 heroes instead!...Like himself! ROY IS SUCH A ROY RIPOFF

If Super Smash Bros. Melee was for hardcore players, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl was for casual players, the next Smash Bros. game will fall somewhere in between, creator Masahiro Sakurai says.

BUT WHAT ABOUT FOX VS FOX NO ITEMS 3 STOCK FINAL DESTINATION HOW COULD HE TAKE THAT FROM US

...Oh, right, by adding Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer.

BUT STILL!!

The only reason I prefer the Metroid Prime version is because Metroid Prime is a much superior game (if not one of the best ever), but the Other M Samus looks pretty good, the shape's a little more feminine.

Metroid Prime Samus is just 3D Super Metroid Samus. :p But yeah, honestly I prefer the old look.

Not that I really mind Other M Samus much, I mean it's still motherfucking Samus Aran.

I'm going have to disagree with you there, I'd like a moon-dropping Final Smash similar to Joshua's from The World Ends With You. That would be zetta cool.

Any tree can drop an apple. I'll drop the freaking moon!

I don't really even think he wanted to make these games, but then Iwata was like "hey we're going to make smash bros for 3ds and wii u!", and I remember reading that sakurai wasn't given much notice or choice in the decision.

Nothing happens (in Smash) without Sakurai.

If Nintendo was really interested in milking the series, you'd think they'd have released more than one version/console by now.

Plus he CLEARLY made Smash 4 to have an excuse to put Mega Man in SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!!

So if you're ever wondering why the roster isn't as impressive as you'd hoped, just blame it on the 3DS limitations.

But customising your characters on the 3DS and then transferring them to the Wii U version sounds neat to me.

Has Mega Man, impressed me, 10/10

tl,dr;

All I have to say is wow, Megaman!

FULL CIRCLE

Dang, that sucks about Sakurai's shoulder. D: Good that he's not letting it hinder him in the least bit though! Aside from using a mouse that is...

And he looks so young too, it's surprising to hear that he's got an issue like tendonitis. I'm still praying that he makes RD Ike playable, but staying with PoR Ike would be A-okay with me since he's still Ike. <3

Edited by Anacybele

Dang, that sucks about Sakurai's shoulder. D: Good that he's not letting it hinder him in the least bit though! Aside from using a mouse that is...

And he looks so young too, it's surprising to hear that he's got an issue like tendonitis. I'm still praying that he makes RD Ike playable, but staying with PoR Ike would be A-okay with me since he's still Ike. <3

Reading that made me appreciate Sakurai a hell of a lot more. Trying to work through a disability like that is difficult... and considering how much work and effort goes into this game... wow. That's definitely inspiring.

Thanks, Sakurai. ... It's an odd statement, but thank you.

Anyone who has a twitter is invited to tweet #YouCanDoItSakurai to @Sora_Sakurai. People have been doing it to show support, and I think there's been at least 500 people tweeting it in the past 5 days or so.

Anyone who has a twitter is invited to tweet #YouCanDoItSakurai to @Sora_Sakurai. People have been doing it to show support, and I think there's been at least 500 people tweeting it in the past 5 days or so.

Agh, I wish I did. I'm tempted to make one now...

Yeah, that's so cool, but I'm afraid I don't have a Twitter. Facebook is enough for me. xP But Sakurai has my support too! You go, man! :D

Just had a brain wave thought and I want to share it with you guys.

The roster for these games may very well be completed by now.

Brawl started development after E3 2005. It finished development the end of 2007. The roster was decided, with the exception of Sonic, in 2006, with Sonic being added in 2007.

So if go from July 2005 -> December 2006, that's 17 months.

Smash 4 started development after Kid Icarus finished, which was around the end of 2011/start of 2012. Now it's 18 months later.

And then there's this quote:

Sakurai: First of all, in regard to cutting characters: at this point there's nothing I can say in any official position regarding that process. But let's go ahead and talk a little bit more about how we decided what characters to have.

The past tense in the bolded sentence really makes me think that the rosters are complete.

Just had a brain wave thought and I want to share it with you guys.

The roster for these games may very well be completed by now.

Brawl started development after E3 2005. It finished development the end of 2007. The roster was decided, with the exception of Sonic, in 2006, with Sonic being added in 2007.

So if go from July 2005 -> December 2006, that's 17 months.

Smash 4 started development after Kid Icarus finished, which was around the end of 2011/start of 2012. Now it's 18 months later.

And then there's this quote:

Sakurai: First of all, in regard to cutting characters: at this point there's nothing I can say in any official position regarding that process. But let's go ahead and talk a little bit more about how we decided what characters to have.

The past tense in the bolded sentence really makes me think that the rosters are complete.

Makes sense. Makes a LOT of sense.

[/nods] Now we wait in anticipation.

Not that we'll find out about who is actually in the game until like...Japanese launch.

Also, I don't think they've actually programmed in all of the roster, so if they really wanted too, they could just add in Dixie Kong or whatever.

Yeah, I doubt they've finished the programming of all the characters. But in terms of character selection, I'd say it's either done or nearly there.