SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope he doesn't have a heart attack making this game.

Yeah, same here. Some Smash Bros. fans have no respect for Sakurai whatsoever. They'd probably still be complaining to him if the game was delayed due to him having health problems.

Anyways, two Articles I want to share with you before GoNintendo floods them out with new posts:

Sakurai says there's no time to bring back every Smash character in Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS

Sakurai details how Pokemon are selected for the Smash Bros. series

It looks like cuts are still very much possible. I'm all for Snake, Sonic, and Toon Link being cut (guest characters should be one time only and I don't want secondary versions of characters taking up a slot, but we'll see what Sakurai does). Lucario and Ike look like they're going to be the "expendable characters" for this Smash Bros., sadly, if they run out of time. But as I said before, Sakurai always does a good job with the majority of the roster, so I'll trust him and his decisions. I personally don't mind suprise characters like R.O.B. (who's my best and favourite Brawl newcomer) and Wii Fit Trainer (she's still Nintendo and you can't complain about her un-uniqueness), so Sakurai's suprise characters don't bother me, as long as they're 1st Party and not second versions of characters.

As for the Pokemon article, it looks like for Pokemon they care about recentness and heavily featured Pokemon, contrary to what most of you were saying about recentness and relevance not being a factor in roster selection. And I'm glad that's the case. I mean, if they stuck someone like Lachesis as a Master Knight just for her unique abilities (all three weapons and magic types), I could only imagine the floods of character request there'd be for really obscure characters and everyone screaming about how their favourite is "unique." It got bad enough with Snake causing floods of 3rd party requests, and I'd rather not have it be extended to really obscure characters (barring the 2 retro newcomers that are practically a given ever since Melee) and characters who are hardly iconic in their series (eg; characters like Joshua, Tharja, Salamence, etc. Just listing examples and not characters that are highy requested).

Edited by Randoman

I disagree. I didn't like the idea of Wii Fit Trainer at first either, but she actually seems to fit nicely and I might try her out.

I don't care for Mewtwo though.

But Keldeo was recent and got his own movie! He's my favorite Pokemon and I'd love to play as him. But sadly, Mewtwo seems more likely due to how many fans he has and his new form in gen 6. >_>

Edited by Anacybele

Keldeo doesn't have the body of a fighter, nor do any quadrupeds. Mewtwo is still one of my favourite legendaries, after Deoxys. Actually, on the topic of Deoxys, wouldn't he be a cool character, he could switch forms with his down-B, starts in his somewhat light normal form, and can toggle through the light speed form, a heavy but slow defence form, and a light attack form with major launching power. Gotta right this down, brb. But I doubt Deoxys is likely. I wouldn't mind Zoaroark, he'd be cool, or maybe Blaziken.

That didn't stop Sakurai from including Ivysaur as one of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon in Brawl. Keldeo would fit just fine. He could use his back legs to shoot water as one of his moves just like in the movie and Secret Sword would be his Final Smash. Sacred Sword would be a B move.

But as I said, Mewtwo is sadly more likely... ;_;

Edited by Anacybele

Ivysaur had the vines so she had something to use to grab items. Keldeo doesn't really have anything to grab items with beyond it's mouth.

Also: http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1970559/super_smash_bros_we_dont_have_time_to_bring_all_characters_back.html

I draw your attention to:

"So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans."

So he's not intentionally going to cut characters like he did with Pichu and Young Link. But he'll only cut characters if they run out of development time, as was the case with Mewtwo, Roy and Dr. Mario.

And I don't see anything wrong with Keldeo using his mouth to pick things up. xP Wolf Link does the same in Zelda: Twilight Princess.

But whatever, it isn't like any of us think he has a high chance of being playable. Though at this point, Sakurai could do anything.

Edited by Anacybele

I must have missed what you said in your past post. But you do realize that I wasn't the only person being "ignorant" and didn't know that it took so much effort, don't you?

You only came to mind because you was most vocal about your opinion on this matter. Take my previous comment as a compliment, because learning is good.

Also, regarding Villager and WF Trainer:

I don't like the idea of them being there - especially if it meant that the team spent less time on other characters I may or may not prefer. Regardless, I think I'll be happy with the final roster since Marth is almost a certainty, at least.

Who the fuck is Villager anyway?

Edited by Raven

You only came to mind because you was most vocal about your opinion on this matter. Take my previous comment as a compliment, because learning is good.

Oh, I see. Then yes, I do take what you said as a compliment. Thank you.

Also, regarding Villager and WF Trainer:

I don't like the idea of them being there - especially if it meant that the team spent less time on other characters I may or may not prefer. Regardless, I think I'll be happy with the final roster since Marth is almost a certainty, at least.

Who the fuck is Villager anyway?

The character you play as in Animal Crossing. That's all I know.

The character you play as in Animal Crossing. That's all I know.

He's the default male appearance for the villager in Animal Crossing, based off of their look in Wild World and City Folk/Let's Go To The City.

And he's not a homicidal maniac, Internet, stop that.

I honestly couldn't care less about the Wii-Fit trainer, but I do feel like they really wasted a character slot for her. However if they add another "joke" character like her (or keep R.O.B) I will be annoyed about her inclusion.

Edited by Kamina

Umm no. Thousands would gladly choose the roster for free. That's a small part of Sakurai's job.

Umm do you think Sakurai is the one doing all the coding for each character? He obviously has people working under to do the knitty gritty, otherwise he wouldn't be a project manager. He probably has a hefty budget for Smash 4 seeing as how much money it generates. From what I understand regarding characters, all he does is decide which ones to place in the game, how much would be too much for his staff/budget, and how to balance the gameplay, as well as approving the final character design. He does more than just characters of course, the above is stuff that isn't actually as stressful as you all make it seem.

Umm do you think Sakurai is the one doing all the coding for each character? He obviously has people working under to do the knitty gritty, otherwise he wouldn't be a project manager. He probably has a hefty budget for Smash 4 seeing as how much money it generates. From what I understand regarding characters, all he does is decide which ones to place in the game, how much would be too much for his staff/budget, and how to balance the gameplay, as well as approving the final character design. He does more than just characters of course, the above is stuff that isn't actually as stressful as you all make it seem.

Uhh, if you think he's just pawning out work to the people on his team, then you're sorely mistaken.

If he did this to his development team during brawl, he wouldn't have a team for this new game.

Umm do you think Sakurai is the one doing all the coding for each character? ... He does more than just characters of course, the above is stuff that isn't actually as stressful as you all make it seem.

I dunno man, managing people working on a project as big as a Smash game sounds like it'd be pretty stressful, considering if anything isn't up to par it'd be his ass on the line and his name the one everyone would be trashing. And that goes beyond just characters.

Eh, it was kind of ambiguous before about whether or not we'd get all the same characters on both versions. It was likely, but the things that were being said, plus the fact that the website doesn't have 3DS images for some characters, made some people question whether both versions would get all the characters. This makes it concrete.