SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Huh? Capes can be ankle-length too. Ike calls his cape a cape, for example. "If I have my cape, I can sleep just about anywhere."

Simply put, Ike's wrong. It's just nobody cares. I'm sure we can easily find dozens of examples of the word misused, I even provided an example in my initial post.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh. Huh. I really hadn't known that. But yeah, so many people call the long ones capes anyway...

And dang, Link tosses away his shield in that video. lol wow.

Oh, damn that title. :/ I wanted Chrom over Lucina, and I actually felt excited for a moment. It's stupid they axe Chrom for being "too similar", then add Lucina and make her a fucking clone of Marth. Fuck this, I'm gonna get some popcorn and join shadowofchaos in watching this thread from afar again. "OTL

Sakurai knows Lucina is better than Chrom.

I facepalm a little every time someone gets mad about Lucina being in without Chrom because it's been made very apparent how it all happened.

Chrom is better than Lucina, imo, but Sakurai must think Ike is better than him, sooo... :awesome:

Also, Faye, Lucina wasn't even originally going to have her own spot either, you know.

Edited by Anacybele

I don't like the idea of picking a female character over a male character solely because they're female - especially in a case like with Chrom and Lucina, where the former is arguably the more important protagonist.

While we could definitely do with more female characters, what we really need are legit female protagonists. As cool as Peach, Rosalina, Zelda, and I suppose Lucina are, they are not exactly the "heroes" of their series. Peach and Rosalina are secondary characters to Mario, Zelda to Link, and Lucina is not the main face of her game let alone FE as a whole (and to my knowledge, there is no female lord who gets to have the spotlight all to herself anyway). I think the first thing we need to worry about is having legit female protagonists who are THE protagonist of their game, and then we can worry about adding more women to SSB.

Edited by Sunwoo

And I was supposed to know that how? It was hardly clear to me. But excuse me for not being good at catching jokes.

I mean I get that sarcasm on the internet isn't always the most apparent, but it should have been clear as day there.

Between Ike clone Chrom and Marth clone Lucina, Lucina would be chosen because there are less females on the roster. It is as simple as that.

As much as people like to go, "ZOMG better chance cuz female!" I really don't think gender is a strong consideration for Sakurai when choosing roster candidates. In Lucina's case, her gender definitely had nothing to do with it.

In Lucina's case, her gender definitely had nothing to do with it.

If Lucina were a blue-haired male dressed in the same attire, I don't think (s)he would have made it in. Different sex is the only major difference Lucina's got going for her aside from some minor gameplay tweaks.

wait are there still people who take the "info" Shin puts in the title seriously? after all this time?

If Lucina were a blue-haired male dressed in the same attire, I don't think (s)he would have made it in. Different sex is the only major difference Lucina's got going for her aside from some minor gameplay tweaks.

if she were a blue haired male in the same attire she'd definitely be in

because that's literally marth, and he's been in since melee

But we know her reason for being in, and her gender is not part of it. That reason is: she was originally a Marth alt, they normalized Marth's moveset and separated it from him via Lucina. Had she been Luke, Chrom's son from the future who otherwise plays the exact same role, I'm pretty sure the result would be the same.

If Chrom had of cosplayed as Marth he would have been a clone. But no cosplaying = no cloning....We should have a Bayonetta alt for Link, Peach, Fox and Samus.

Edited by Jotari

There is no place for Chrom or Ephraim in Smash. We don't need any more lancewielders other than Bandanna Dee. <3

Although I've recently discovered that the series I REALLY want in SSB is Etrian Odyssey.

Just imagine Frederica from EO:Untold in Smash. Disabling the enemies' special moves by using bind shots. Oh gosh, that would be awesome.

If we're really talking about Chrom again, the only thing that could possibly be the deal sealer between him and Lucina is pretty much the fact that they both share Falchion, if you think about it. Why not just leave both of them as alts, being Marth/Lucina and Ike/Chrom? Given how Chrom's Falchion becomes exalted around the end of Awakening, that could have been added for him as an alternative Eruption and Final Smash for him, had Sakurai went through with that: an Exalted Aether. However, having an "Ike" with a Falchion just doesn't mix well with the differences in swordplay, or even type of blade the Falchion already establishes with Marth, (and by extension, Lucina) than Ike with Ragnell. At best it'd only stir up confusion. Ergo Lucina wins by default

Now if Chrom was just taken out of the Marth bloodline altogether, things could have been different for him, and possibly more potential for a better story for Awakening too, imo. But that's a whole other topic entirely and borderline fanfic territory, so eh, what can ya do? *shrugs*

But we know her reason for being in, and her gender is not part of it. That reason is: she was originally a Marth alt, they normalized Marth's moveset and separated it from him via Lucina. Had she been Luke, Chrom's son from the future who otherwise plays the exact same role, I'm pretty sure the result would be the same.

Hm yes, I forgot about the original concept of Lucina was simply a Marth alt. The fact Lucina's female works out for the best in this case. However were Lucina male, I still don't think they would have went ahead with the split, however.The fact that she's female helps differentiate between them that much more, and I'm willing to bet this probably tipped the scales in the argument for making her her own character.

I wanna add my two cents!

There's the matter of Robin's Final Smash. If Lucina and Chrom had swapped places... It wouldn't have felt right. Chrom, being the main Lord of the game (There's no debating that) should support the OTHER Main Character: Robin. Their Final Smash is fitting, because despite Robin's gender... They're besties. Two friends pairing up to defeat a foe... (@Final Smash/Pair Up) Lucina, again, wouldn't have been a good character in the position of Robin's Final Smash... It isn't revealed who she is until halfway through the game. Would it not be hard trying to explain that, without spoilers?

I would've liked Chrom, to be a clone of Ike. But, I suppose, a bit faster, in exchange for less powerful moves. Aether would have its play here... But for things like Eruption, I don't know.

But if that was the case, how would Robin's Final Smash work out?

(I would've liked for him to like, grab a Master Seal mid battle, and Promote/Transform for a bit)

But again, Smash Bros is about things being FITTING.

It wouldn't make sense for Lucas to replace Ness, for example. When one thinks of Earthbound, they think of Ness.

I don't know about you, but when I think of Awakening, I think of Chrom, AND Robin. Together.

...and screw you, Sakurai. If anything, Chrom being a combination of Marth and Ike would've been cool...

But of course, this is all just my two cents. :D

Edited by ~Silver

Still, Sakurai could have just as easily decided to turn Chrom into an Alt but instead he decided on Lucina. One way or another, Lucina took a spot that could have just as easily gone to Chrom and there has to be a reason for that. They both fight the same way, they even use the very same weapon.

The only thing we had him saying in that regard is this:

"Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A."

Maybe this line just got misinterpreted by whoever translated it, otherwise I would have to wonder what version of Awakening he was playing were the connection between Lucina and Marth goes beyond a cosplay.

But be it Chrom or Lucina, I feel like they should have been a clone of Ike. I feel like Ike's movements are far closer to the ones that they are using in Awakening.

Btw, it's funny how the Ike Amiibo also includes those tiny scratches on his armor, among other things. I'm sorta impressed by that but I think they should have left those details out. At least to me they come across less as Ike wearing roughed-up armor and more like the figurine itself is damaged or badly manufactured.

Edited by BrightBow

I don't think Sakurai meant a literal relationship, I think he meant that Lucina's design is based on him and she really admires him and all. I mean, she masqueraded as him so she could feel like the hero her world needed. So yeah.

And I like that Ike's Ragnell and armor have scratches! It shows just how tough he is and how many battles he's been victorious in!

Also, btw, I discovered the "The Ultimate Swordsman" event. Where you have to play as Ike and beat all the other sword guys. That's just awesome, go Sakurai. :D

Edited by Anacybele

Oh, I most certainly like those scratches too. But only on his 3D model. I just don't think the Amiibo is detailed enough to make them look good.

Come to think of it, the Amiibo is the first time I ever got a good luck at that symbol on his cape. Does anyone maybe know what the deal with the symbol of Ike's back is? The tiger is similar to the one on the banner of Gallia but that's about it.

Edited by BrightBow