SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

No, but I wouldn't say they are difficult either. Characters like Ike and Bowser and other heavy hitters I find the easiest because you don't need to get combos to rack up damage, but it is more difficult to get results with them. Sheik and ZSS are the best characters in the game (well, I think Pikachu is better than Samus, but that's my opinion) regardless of their easiness or difficulty, that's why they may be common, but many people use them without knowing how to use them because they've been told so.

Its funny you say this considering Ike has a pretty good combo game these days.

I still think ZSS's grab is not good enough to be considered #2 in the game, but in skilled hands she can contend with the likes of Sheik fairly well.

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit:

I think a major problem is the whole "deserving" thing. Just because DK sells well doesn't mean it magically "deserves" more stuff.

While I agree with this to a certain extent, DK is still pretty under-repped for how big a franchise it is. 2 playable fighters, 3 stages across both games (only 1 being new), no assist trophies...If any series "deserves" more representation in Smash, it's DK.

While I agree with this to a certain extent, DK is still pretty under-repped for how big a franchise it is. 2 playable fighters, 3 stages across both games (only 1 being new), no assist trophies...If any series "deserves" more representation in Smash, it's DK.

Eh...Metroid is pretty under repped too. I mean DK at least has two distinct characters while Metroid just has Samus twice. -_- Though admittedly I am probably just a little bit more bias towards Metroid. It at least got an assist trophy.

Eh...Metroid is pretty under repped too. I mean DK at least has two distinct characters while Metroid just has Samus twice. -_- Though admittedly I am probably just a little bit more bias towards Metroid. It at least got an assist trophy.

I'm honestly impressed we even have the few stages with the 2 Samus's at all, considering Japan doesn't care about Metroid at all.

It has two assist trophies. Sad though because there are plenty of characters in the Metroid universe who'd make cool characters, but only Ridley and Dark Samus make consistent enough appearances that'd be worthy of representation. Though if Fire Emblem can have one-off characetrs like Robin, Corrin and Lucina, I wonder why Metroid can't?

I'm honestly impressed we even have the few stages with the 2 Samus's at all, considering Japan doesn't care about Metroid at all.

This might be why. I think the whole of Nintendo itself really underestimates the potential of Metroid.

It has two assist trophies. Sad though because there are plenty of characters in the Metroid universe who'd make cool characters, but only Ridley and Dark Samus make consistent enough appearances that'd be worthy of representation. Though if Fire Emblem can have one-off characetrs like Robin, Corrin and Lucina, I wonder why Metroid can't?

This might be why. I think the whole of Nintendo itself really underestimates the potential of Metroid.

Ah yes, I forgot about Mother Brain. I was really glad she got to be an assist trophy. She was criminally underrepresented in Smash before now. I man a sticker in brawl and that's it! She's the main antagonist of the series for crying out loud! As for Nintendo underestimating Metroid, it's just cold hard facts. Metroid is a beloved series but aside from Metroid Prime it has always consistently sold less than expected purely due to bat luck and timing. It's still one of Nintendo's biggest series to be sure but with the exception of (the first) Metroid Prime is just hasn't hit the commercial success it deserves.

FE constantly gets a new cast though. Does Metroid also get a new cast a lot?

Samus is usually the main constant, Ridley shows up a few times... Adam showed up twice, uuuuuh theres the Hunters in Metroid Prime 3....

Or Samus is just entirely alone. So honestly, I don't really think they could throw anyone in who wasn't Ridley or people would be really annoyed.

Also I don't think Mother Brain would be a logical option even in her form where she can actually move. Would be kinda awkward to translate.

Edit: Didn't Super Metroid also sell pretty well?

Edited by Jedi

I see, to be honest, I always found ZSS very hard to play as, but I kept hearing rumors about how easy she and Sheik are to main that I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

About Metroid,

I think it's easier to say that Japan sees Metroid the same way the west views Fire Emblem, a niche series.

Also, the reason Fire Emblem have one-off characters is because of the series's nature, it's rare for a character to appear in more than one game, while Metroid have recurring characters.

I see, to be honest, I always found ZSS very hard to play as, but I kept hearing rumors about how easy she and Sheik are to main that I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

About Metroid,

I think it's easier to say that Japan sees Metroid the same way the west views Fire Emblem, a niche series.

Also, the reason Fire Emblem have one-off characters is because of the series's nature, it's rare for a character to appear in more than one game, while Metroid have recurring characters.

The way the west used to view Fire Emblem you mean. Since Awakening, its become a Nintendo staple in the West.

In terms of relevancy to the franchise and moveset potential, the best possible new Metroid rep would, ironically, be Dark Samus. Problem is, while a different character entirely who could be very unique, she'd still be seen as "another Samus." And not Ridley.

The way the west used to view Fire Emblem you mean. Since Awakening, its become a Nintendo staple in the West.

I want to agree with you, but I still see many, many people calling Fire Emblem a niche series.

It may be a loud minority thought.

And sorry for changing the subject, but I'm curious, how did Japan react to the Corrin and Bayonetta reveals?

I went to Legends of Localization, but found nothing.

In terms of relevancy to the franchise and moveset potential, the best possible new Metroid rep would, ironically, be Dark Samus. Problem is, while a different character entirely who could be very unique, she'd still be seen as "another Samus." And not Ridley.

SA-X could honestly use all the other moves that Power Suit Samus doesn't too lol, like the Ice Beam and such. Which would be funny to me, but also work.

I want to agree with you, but I still see many, many people calling Fire Emblem a niche series.

It may be a loud minority thought.

And sorry for changing the subject, but I'm curious, how did Japan react to the Corrin and Bayonetta reveals?

I went to Legends of Localization, but found nothing.

Remember a loud minority tricked us into thinking someone like Bayonetta wouldn't be voted in, FE has become big time for Nintendo in general, when they used to only do all that well in Japan and even then it wasn't super grand at times, such as with Tellius despite their quality being really top notch. The best sellers in the franchise are as of now, Fates, Awakening and Mystery of the Emblem (FE3). For reference.

I'm not sure of their reactions, I doubt they are as salty about Corrin as us however, I think they'd be more annoyed with Bayonetta than the West.

Samus is usually the main constant, Ridley shows up a few times... Adam showed up twice, uuuuuh theres the Hunters in Metroid Prime 3....

Or Samus is just entirely alone. So honestly, I don't really think they could throw anyone in who wasn't Ridley or people would be really annoyed.

Also I don't think Mother Brain would be a logical option even in her form where she can actually move. Would be kinda awkward to translate.

Edit: Didn't Super Metroid also sell pretty well?

Critically it did fantastically, everyone loved it. Unfortunately it just happened to be released the same year as the PS1 and the SEGA Saturn which prompted Nintendo to get Rare to Make Donkey Kong Country, a game that was so graphically advanced it was able to compete with the 32 Bit consoles at the time. It also took months to get the project under way and has a two year development cycle which was considered pretty long. There's a reason after Super Metroid the next Metroid game wasn't released for another eight years.

Also just throwing out ideas for Metroid reps, while Mother Brain is out of the question due to her design (plus it fits quite well as an assist trophy), MB could be a possibility. As a humanoid version of Mother Brain you could easily give her a lot of Mother Brain's key attacks in a useable form. It'll never happen though since she comes from Other M which is near universally despised. Still though the idea of a Mother Brain Android is a good one and might be revisited in the future.

Edited by Jotari

Critically it did fantastically, everyone loved it. Unfortunately it just happened to be released the same year as the PS1 and the SEGA Saturn which prompted Nintendo to get Rare to Make Donkey Kong Country, a game that was so graphically advanced it was able to compete with the 32 Bit consoles at the time. It also took months to get the project under way and has a two year development cycle which was considered pretty long. There's a reason after Super Metroid the next Metroid game wasn't released for another eight years.

Also just throwing out ideas for Metroid reps, while Mother Brain is out of the question due to her design (plus it fits quite well as an assist trophy), MB could be a possibility. As a humanoid version of Mother Brain you could easily give her a lot of Mother Brain's key attacks in a useable form. It'll never happen though since she comes from Other M which is near universally despised. Still though the idea of a Mother Brain Android is a good one and might be revisited in the future.

Ah right, tough competition, especially in Japan, considering both of those consoles took off there as opposed to just the PS1 in NA. (Which makes me mildly salty I wish we got more attention in the Saturn, there were some good games for it that would never get localized... Like Sakura Wars)

I unironically think Adam would work as a third Metroid character.

I mean, he could use Freeze and Plasma guns and overall be an effective zoner.

Of course, the Metroid fanbase would have an aneurysm considering how they reacted to SSB4 Samus being Other M. But it'd be for the best unless they really wanted three characters named Samus. I know Dark Samus is Metroid Prime, but it still would be received like that. I don't think Ridley is at all feasible. He could probably be downsized some, but he'd still be large and would likely be either the best character or the worst character

I'm not sure of their reactions, I doubt they are as salty about Corrin as us however, I think they'd be more annoyed with Bayonetta than the West.

Ah yes. And due to the poll results, they'll actually have reason to whine about "Western appeal". I wonder who their top characters were bets on Captain Rainbow and a Monster Hunter/Felyne in the top ten.

Ah yes. And due to the poll results, they'll actually have reason to whine about "Western appeal". I wonder who their top characters were bets on Captain Rainbow and a Monster Hunter/Felyne in the top ten.

Last I heard, they really wanted K.Rool, Paper Mario (Like Knight said) along with Bandana Dee, I think Wolf was actually getting some solid support there too. Among other interesting choices.

And after Shantae was finally ported to Japan, she became an instant hit, but it was too late to make a difference I think lol. If there would have even been one.

Edited by Jedi

I hope they do release the official results of the ballot. Not only would it be great to see who's current popular where but it would give us some idea of who they currently deem unfeasible to make.

I hope they do release the official results of the ballot. Not only would it be great to see who's current popular where but it would give us some idea of who they currently deem unfeasible to make.

I somehow doubt they will, considering if certain characters are seen on it, and were deemed not plausible, I think people would riot.

I somehow doubt they will, considering if certain characters are seen on it, and were deemed not plausible, I think people would riot.

The last thing somebody wants to find out is that they're choice is listed in the "unfeasible" category.

Also, somewhat random, but Sakurai's glasses weren't just for show during the Bayonetta part of the presentation. In the FE25th Anniversary interview, he (once again) mentioned SSB4 is probably his last game; among the stuff like general stress and mental pressure from the project, he also mentioned he's experiencing failing vision.

He may have just put them on for the Bayonetta part, but my bet's on Sakurai wearing glasses in any future public appearances.

The last thing somebody wants to find out is that they're choice is listed in the "unfeasible" category.

Also, somewhat random, but Sakurai's glasses weren't just for show during the Bayonetta part of the presentation. In the FE25th Anniversary interview, he (once again) mentioned SSB4 is probably his last game; among the stuff like general stress and mental pressure from the project, he also mentioned he's experiencing failing vision.

He may have just put them on for the Bayonetta part, but my bet's on Sakurai wearing glasses in any future public appearances.

Yeah, I'd be heartbroken tbh. While Bayonetta wasn't my first choice (I voted for Zero from Megaman X). I enjoy the effort he put into the ballot character, and I like her games.

Oh wow, I didn't notice that, thanks for pointing it out, it also does seem like him to use the glasses for show, I love his little sight gags in the directs.

Edited by Jedi

Yeah, I'd be heartbroken tbh. While Bayonetta wasn't my first choice (I voted for Zero from Megaman X). I enjoy the effort he put into the ballot character, and I like her games.

If Zero would've got in, I would've preferred it to be based on his Zero series appearance. Not only do I personally prefer the design (no booblights), but all the weapons like the shield boomerang, Z-knuckle, recoil rod, triple rod, an so on would make for a much more diverse movest and shunt him out of the "another sword character" territory. Heck, cyber-elves could even make for an interesting gimmick.

Edited by The DanMan

Well I doubt they'd outright say who is unfeasable. They'd leave that up to our speculation. I'm guessing Ridley was probably there and even if they outright state they considered him unfeasible I'd still hold out hope for a SSB5 (playable) appearance.