SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

it's not like fe6's story progression contains anything that really qualifies as an EARTHSHATTERING SEISMIC TWIST anyway, possibly aside from jahn's exposition (and even that barely counts). even so, roy's profile doesn't exactly say anything that goes beyond the game's second chapter

now, lucas's trophy profile on the other hand? yeesh

with respect to lucina, on one hand yes it was obviously meant to be a big plot twist they were setting us up for back in the japanese pre-release cycle, but then practically everything nintendo's done with fe13 merch and promotional materials since then clearly doesn't care about that at all and may as well be shouting "MARTH IS LUCINA" through a megaphone. between that and how happy they were to completely fucking spoil everything about mother 3 in lucas's, i strongly suspect they simply don't care, period, and spoilers simply aren't a factor in choosing characters or how to present them

also fe13's writing is utter garbage seriously who gives a fuck if it's spoiled

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also they spoiled the entirety of the final chapter of Mother 3 with new pork city and various trophies.

Edit wow my phone didn't show the latest post done. Sorry for being a broken record

Edited by Jedisupersonic

i guess i'd argue the new pork city thing to be more borderline with respect to spoilers, given that the pigmask army is introduced very early and, well, what kind of antagonist army doesn't have a matching huge capital city? porky himself is more of a spoiler than that, even if there aren't really any other inferences you can make about why these guys are pig-themed (it's been a while so i don't recall exactly how early porky himself was first mentioned in the course of mother 3's events. i'm guessing not any earlier than chapter 5 though)

idk. defining spoilers is pretty nebulous territory when you're not handling stuff as blatant as darth vader's famous SHOCKING REVELATION

Once again, who cares if they spoil Mother 3 (which they didn't by the way)? The game never made it out of Japan, much like Sword of Seals.

But I will agree, Nintendo isn't really keeping "Marth's" secret identity a secret any more and neither is everyone who played the game

Robin... how do they stand?

The addition of the Villager proves that avatars can be put in Smash, but I still have my doubts. I never was fond with the character per se, but the amount of creative combinations that could be put to use with him/her is interesting.

1 big factor stands in the way, though, and that's because Chrom is much more likely to join over Robin, due to having a specific character design and play style, and generally being the poster boy of the game.

I haven't played Golden Sun, so my opinion on Isaac is pointless.

I think Avatar and Chrom's chances are equal. Chrom is indeed the poster boy of the game and the main character/lord which is kind of a big point, but Avatar would have a more unique playstyle because magic, and even has a design that stands out more among Marth and Ike. A female Avatar would also be a female FE rep. So yeah, I think it could be either one of them, it's just up to Sakurai which he would prefer.

I would prefer Avatar, of course, as I've said before.

Edited by Anacybele

I'd rather see Robin in just for variety's sake. Chrom would be another blue-haired swordsman, somewhere in between Ike and Marth in fighting style probably, whose signature move is also Aether, and he just wouldn't be interesting or do a good job of representing FE when we've already got Ike and Marth in there.

Once again, who cares if they spoil Mother 3 (which they didn't by the way)? The game never made it out of Japan, much like Sword of Seals. But I will agree, Nintendo isn't really keeping "Marth's" secret identity a secret any more and neither is everyone who played the game

yes, because the only people who played mother 3 were in Japan. Pfft. Who cares if there are spoilers? If the character would be a better rep, then that character should get in.

Once again, who cares if they spoil Mother 3 (which they didn't by the way)? The game never made it out of Japan, much like Sword of Seals. But I will agree, Nintendo isn't really keeping "Marth's" secret identity a secret any more and neither is everyone who played the game

Did you not even hear about the legendary translation team that got Mother 3 to English speakers?

And yes they did spoil it. The identity of the Masked Man was an enormous spoiler

Ideally (assuming we actually get an Awakening rep) we'd get a duo character between Avatar and Chrom like the Ice Climbers but you can switch the leading one with down B, although that's kinda out there now that they even went and made former transforming characters independent from each other, we'd get not only an Awakening rep but an actually unique character that represents the pair up mechanic to boot.

Of course this won't happen and it'll be just Chrom as a middle ground between Marth and Ike with yet another pure swordsman moveset, but I can dream.

Seeing RD Ike being in has sparked my inner Micaiah fanboy to want her in Smash again. Unlikely as it is...sigh. Would be so cool to have a mage woman rep from FE though.

I know it's a little late... but I JUST became happy about Zero Suit being in SSB4. She was my main in Brawl.

I always feared that she would be on the chopping block. And now that she is back... I hope she retains her ability to use her whip (Side+Special) to grab on to ledges. But hopefully it won't ledge hog, and annoy the crap out of my brother. He hates when I play as ZSS.

And it's good that she's separated Samus. And how Zelda / Sheik are separated. I just wonder what ZSS final smash will be... And I hope they change Sheik's final smash too.

Once again, who cares if they spoil Mother 3 (which they didn't by the way)? The game never made it out of Japan, much like Sword of Seals.

But I will agree, Nintendo isn't really keeping "Marth's" secret identity a secret any more and neither is everyone who played the game

Who cares if they spoil Mother 3, you ask? How about players in Japan? Did you forget that these are all Japanese-made games? Smash Bros. games have historically been released first in Japan. If Sakurai cares about spoilers, this is where he looks first. And Mother 3 never made it out of Japan, so how do you know if they spoiled it or not?

Your idea that spoilers only matter if the game released outside Japan is making you sound rather self-centered.

Seeing RD Ike being in has sparked my inner Micaiah fanboy to want her in Smash again. Unlikely as it is...sigh. Would be so cool to have a mage woman rep from FE though.

Yeah, I also want a female FE char in Smash. Lyn is already an Assist Trophy so that only leaves space for Miccy... or... uhh... Eirika or Elincia. Screw Awakening and Avatars

unless Tiki gets playable and Sakurai says he was loltrolling us again...

edit: I've had enough with swordsmen, though not sword girls :D

Edited by Quintessence

So for Monday, I'm guessing we'll be getting some sort of update regarding aesthetic/moveset changes to Ike, since that's what happened for all the other newly revealed characters for SSB4 (barring the April Direct revealed characters, since there's 5 characters revealed and even without that factor, it's still quite the special case due to the sheer depth of info revealed).

I wonder if we're getting anything special revealed on May 29/30, since it is Mario Kart 8's release date (29 for Japan, and 30 for most other regions). Even if we're not getting Wario or a Wii U Mario Kart stage, maybe Sakurai will go more in depth on the 3DS Rainbow Road?

Does that mean all of the Pokemon have been revealed because Greninja was revealed? That means Squirtle and Ivysaur are gone (not surprising), as well as Jigglypuff (VERY surprising, even though Jigglypuff isn't remotely relevant anymore to the Pokemon series), and Pokemon has two fewer reps than in Brawl (since Sakurai counts Pokemon Trainer as three characters).

I still think Jigglypuff is safe myself, and that there will be one other Pokemon rep (either Mewtwo returning or a newcomer) to match the number of Pokemon that were in Brawl.

If this is the case, then we'd have to assume that we have all of our Pokemon veterans with Pikachu. Charizard and Lucario. Greninja brings the total to 4 Pokemon characters. That is two less than Brawl. But seeing as Mario lost a character in the transition from Melee to Brawl it isn't too unlikely and doesn't bother me much.

Mewtwo q_q

Good points. I guess I should've thought about that theory not applying to Pokemon. Well, it's possible that they just didn't feel like Jigglypuff would work well in the Greninja trailer since they mostly featured the tough and cool Pokemon (Greninja, Charizard, and Lucario). Even Pikachu didn't feature that much in the trailer (only 5 seconds and Charizard had the spotlight in those 5 seconds over Pikachu anyways) despite being the face of the Pokemon series. They might also be saving revealing Mewtwo for E3 or the 90 minute E3 Smash Direct or something to build up hype after his exclusion from Brawl, which is why not all the Pokemon veterans were shown before Greninja was revealed.

Either way, I don't think the "show Marth and Ike before E3 so that they can feature in Chrom's reveal" theory is particularly disproven because Pokemon didn't follow suite like Mario did for Rosalina. On the flip side, even if the "reveal Marth and Ike before E3 so they can feature in Chrom's reveal" theory does turn out to be right, I don't think that confirms Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, and Greninja are the only playable Pokemon we're getting, due to the reasons I listed in the above paragraph.

Though to Steve, I should remind you that in Brawl's programming, Jigglypuff was shown to be one of the last characters to be programmed in (though she didn't beat out Wolf and Sonic as the last programmed characters), which implies that Jigglypuff was of lesser priority compared to the other characters (she was the only veteran from Melee that still made it in to be deprioritized like that) and may have been considered to be cut. I don't think Jigglypuff's chances of being cut from SSB4 are that high, but since it's implied quite a lot in Brawl's programming, that still makes her being cut a possibility to keep in mind, at least.

I'm still hoping that Jigglypuff will be in SSB4. And she probably will.

She's been in the Smash Series since Smash 64! It'd be insane to remove her(?) I assume that Jigglypuff's a girl. I have no idea if pokemon have genders or not, I don't play it, or know anything about it for that matter... :XD:

They even made an event in Brawl about it! Y'know that one about "Secret Perfect Attendees". With that being said, I still think Captain Falcon, Ness, and Jigglypuff will all be in SSB4, being as they're a part of the "Original 12". And Luigi's already been confirmed, and it was pretty obvious that he'd come back. He's huge! Well-liked.

When MK8 comes out, we'll probably just see the Mario characters on the Rainbow Road stage. I mean, it IS an SSB stage now too. :P

Also, it IS possible that Marth and Ike both being revealed now sets up for an FE newcomer in E3, but it might not even be Chrom. So let's not go and assume that. It'd look weird if we were to find out that he's not the one. lol

EDIT: Pokemon have genders, Carter. lol And this Jigglypuff is considered to be female because of the girly hats she can wear.

Edited by Anacybele

I doubt Ness, Capt Falcon, and Jigglypuff are going anywhere.

Also a few post back someone asked about Isaac's chances now Ike was back in. I think he still has a chance. You could give him psyenergy or djinns

Isaac is still my most wanted newcomer. But I don't think he'll be in, I highly doubt it by this point. The only evidence to his possible being there is not being shown in the assist trophy deal

Layton is 3rd party, actually. He's fully owned by Level-5, with Nintendo only publishing the games outside Japan.

So there's a new rumour/alleged CSS leak making the rounds. There were a whole bunch of images posted and apparently they're not all from the same guy.

These images were posted to 4chan today around 5 PM U.S. Central Time.

CI9zStg.jpg

dD3Qvco.jpg

Later, we got this:

froS00I.jpg

Then:

e50f51cdd00b7fa8be84f9fef068c070.png

Then this:

dnoRlxm.jpg

Most likely a different guy though.

Then finally this.

DV6I4Wx.jpg

With this:

heres one of the early pics i got (the first few were crappy) but i dont think i got a lot of guys on this one. anyway to answer some ?: the tourny mode has 2 new characters and a third appears when the mode is won(?) mac ridley and megaman. didnt see any others srry. color button gives you a pallet picker and charcter model. booths looks nice. deleting these from my phone now

Image 3 is most likely the same guy as the first two. Same for the last one.

Most people have dismissed the 5th pic as fake because apparently the bit of Pac-Man we can see matches up with some official art of him for Ghostly Adventures or something.

And apparently all the pics were taken down pretty quickly.EDIT: Correction: Apparently only the first three were taken down.

Thoughts?

Edited by shinpichu