SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

Yeah, they definitely wanted to get the NA version out before Black Friday. Why Europe's getting the game a day before Japan is a mystery to me, unless December 6th is a significant day in many European countries (like how Germany got the 3DS version on October 2nd because October 3rd was an important German holiday they didn't want to conflict with).

If I had to guess, it's probably St. Nicolaus Day, a holiday that I know happens early in December for Germany at least. It's when kids leave their shoes at the front door in hopes that they'll find goodies inside them on the morning of the holiday. I learned about it while I lived there.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm...in the credits both Eng and Jap names are in them. These games wouldn't be made if both companies didn't team up. x.x

Shigeru Miyamoto, Intelligent Systems and Masahiro Sakurai are legendary developers and with them alone made this worthwhile.

No, Bandai Namco was the developing team with Sakurai directing. NoA is only credited because of localization and publishing. There are Producer credits for Miyamoto and folks at IS/MONOLITH/SEGA/CAPCOM and others, but both games were developed primarly in Japan.

I don't know the reason for this, but as far as I know, Nintendo games are always released on a Friday in Europe. That fits with the fifth of december. I don't think that St. Nicolaus Day has anything to do with the release date.

If I had to guess, it's probably St. Nicolaus Day, a holiday that I know happens early in December for Germany at least. It's when kids leave their shoes at the front door in hopes that they'll find goodies inside them on the morning of the holiday. I learned about it while I lived there.

You lived in Germany for a while? Where exactly, if I may ask? Just curious.

Development

An Iwata Asks interview released in June 2011 revealed a few early details about the game. Discussions between Iwata and Sakurai about creating a Super Smash Bros. title for the 3DS with the then newly formed Project Sora began shortly after the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl in 2008. It was decided however that Sakurai and his team would first tackle Kid Icarus: Uprising. As development of the Wii U began, it became clear to Sakurai that creating a game for both systems would be necessary. He began to think about the differences between the two platforms, and realized the personal nature of the handheld experience. This led him to consider the idea of customizing and leveling up characters with things like experience points, however he and Iwata expressed how this may limit the "pick-up-and-play" quality the series is known for. Ultimately, “What Sakurai hopes to do is have the 3DS version of Smash Bros. allow players to build up their character through battle and rewards, then take their custom character to the Wii U version to face off against everyone. He feels it could be nice if they can make the “personal” portable space and the stadium-like “public” console space mesh together.” Sakurai has acknowledged that the Wii U version could offer 60 frames per second visuals, high quality graphics, dynamic effects, and smooth character movements, while the 3DS version will likely offer players a slightly different Smash Bros. experience. Many members of the Kid Icarus: Uprising staff are likely to work on the project. Sakurai hopes to let his team handle the character balancing this time around, as opposed to him personally doing it as he did in the previous titles.[2]

Hee hee...

Customed character boosts can be transferred.

When asked about whether or not a Capcom character could make an appearance, Sakurai said “I can’t say that it’s entirely out of the realm of possibility that some Capcom character could appear in the next Smash Bros. The big problem, though, comes from the idea of trying to get characters from a completely different universe to fit with the style that has been dictated by Nintendo's characters in a fighting game.”[3]

Early development on the game finally began in February 2012 after Project Sora had finished it’s work on Kid Icarus: Uprising. On April 25, 2012, Sakurai revealed some of his early thoughts on the games in an interview with IGN, explaining that the series needs to evolve. “There is a certain dead end we come to if we just expand the volume of the game. I intend to change direction a little as we go. The key to that’s going to be its dual support for 3DS/Wii U. I’m really just getting started on this so it’s going to take time, but I'll come up with something that uses that link as the game’s central axis, so I hope you're looking forward to it.”[4]

Sakurai has stated that he plans on reviving more old Nintendo characters in the game, much like he did with Ice Climbers and Pit in previous titles.[5]

In an interview with Nintendo Power, Sakurai expressed that the wait for the game's release may be longer than many fans are expecting saying, “We've just taken what you could call the first step of the process. This is the first time I've ever had my next project announced before it’s even entered development, and because of that, I fear that players will be forced to wait even longer than they expect to. Please be patient.”[6]

On June 21, 2012 during a Nintendo Direct video stream, Nintendo announced that Namco Bandai would be developing the two games with Sakurai's Project Sora. A top tier group of developers from Namco have been assembled including Masaya Kobayashi (Ridge Racer series), Yoshito Higuchi (producer and director of the Tales series), Tetsuya Akatsuka (producer and director of Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs.), the art director/sound director of the Soul Calibur series, as well as the main development team staff from the Tekken series.[7]

This is a fact.

In an interview with Nintendo Power, Sakurai discussed the amount of playable characters saying, “It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive…. In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.”

Even though the IC were planned to be the 50th character...due to hardware difficulties is why that they are cut from the 3DS version. Is why that the new 3DS is going to exist soon.

When asked about the possibility of any Namco Bandai characters making an appearance in the game, Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada said “We’re not really sure at this moment but when thinking of the playerbase who is playing Smash Bros, maybe Tekken characters is something they wouldn’t want, so I’ve been pulling back on that a bit. But I don’t know.”[8]

At the E3 2013, Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer were revealed to be playable characters in the game.

On July 12, 2013, Pikmin & Olimar were announced on the official website.

During the Nintendo Direct on August 7, 2013, Luigi was announced for the game.

On September 12, 2013, Princess Peach was announced for the game.

On September 26, 2013, Toon Link was announced for the game.

During the Nintendo Direct on October 1, 2013, Sonic the Hedgehog was announced for the game as a returning third-party character.

On November 7, 2013, Marth was announced on the official website.

On December 18, 2013, Rosalina & Luma were announced as a newcomer to the Smash Bros series. This is the first newcomer announced since E3 2013.

On December 26, 2013, Princess Zelda was announced of the official website.

On January 10, 2014, King Dedede was confirmed to return via the official website.

On January 31, 2014, Lucario was confirmed to return via the official website.

On February 13, Little Mac was announced as the fifth newcomer in this iteration of the Smash Bros during a Nintendo Direct.

On February 20, Diddy Kong was confirmed to return via the official website.

On April 8, 2014, a Nintendo Direct showcasing the game occurred. Revealed the mechanics of online play, release windows, Zero Suit Samus, Sheik, Yoshi, Charizard and Greninja.

On May, 2014, Ike was confirmed to return via the official website. He takes on his Radiant Dawn appearance now.

On June 10, 2014, during the Nintendo Digital Event, there was 3 variants of the Mii Fighter introduced; The Mii Brawler, the Mii Swordfighter and the Mii Gunner. It also revealed NFC functionality. The 3DS release date was also revealed. In addition, Palutena was revealed with a trailer animated by Shaft at the end of the event.

Later that day, at the Smash roundtable, Sakurai revealed Pac-Man with a new trailer that also hinted Mr. Game and Watch could return.

On July 14, Sakurai revealed not one, but two newcomers: Lucina and Robin, with a trailer in a style of a cutscene from Fire Emblem: Awakening. Also, during a trailer, Captain Falcon was confirmed to return.

On August 13, Meta Knight was revealed to return. In addition, the site updated to explain the single player modes and revealed a limited edition 3DS XL that was due to release on October 3 in Europe.

On August 29, Shulk was revealed in a Japanese Nintendo Direct. In addition, Amiibo support for confirmed for the 3DS version.

On October 3, three of the secret characters, Ness, Falco, and Wario, were revealed to return.

3aK3dd.jpg

Ha.

They didn't mention Bowser Jr's leak which was unofficial. Those people are bad seeds to society and messing with Sakurai is a no-no.

Reception

The 3DS version was received pretty well, recieving a 37(10/10/10/9) out of 40.

It sold over a million in its first weekend in Japan alone, with 944,644 at retail. Worldwide, by October 6, the game had sold over 2.8 million copies

O.o

The community has also received the game pretty well, finding it fairly suitable for competitive play.

Here are the credits for Smash 4. Adom Howden and Jason Adkins are doing Shulk and Iiiiiike. :D

The Producer credits mostly were from Japan. Nintendo Of America did the voice acting for America's games. Plus the other development teams such as Monolithsoft, etc made this probable million, possibly to a billion exclusive game be made which Hyrule Warriors is already selling like this as well.

Edited by PuffPuff

You lived in Germany for a while? Where exactly, if I may ask? Just curious.

Oh, I first lived in an apartment on an American Army base in Heidelberg, then we moved up to the mountains nearby. I didn't really like it though, I had very limited access to American games there because the only places that sold them had crappy selections. So I wound up getting so many games late, including Melee. >.>

OH MY GOD.

MEGUMI HAYASHIBARA DID EEVEE/GARDEVOIR/SNIVY/FENNELKIN in the Jap version. I'm so glad that I've got the Jap version of the 3DS...too.

Oh, I first lived in an apartment on an American Army base in Heidelberg, then we moved up to the mountains nearby. I didn't really like it though, I had very limited access to American games there because the only places that sold them had crappy selections. So I wound up getting so many games late, including Melee. >.>

Haha. Now imagine living here permanently and getting nearly every game later than the rest of the world. That's why I was so happy when we got Smash 3DS one day earlier than everyone except for Japan. It was like a very small victory. xD

I'm addicted by smash run! Help me! D:

Just kidding. Unlocked all of the characters and having a blast like always.

Also, I lost the most times as Meta Knight while I won the most with Dedede, but probably that's because I was doing a 99 Stock match against level 1 CPUS with 2.0 Launch rate.

Haha. Now imagine living here permanently and getting nearly every game later than the rest of the world. That's why I was so happy when we got Smash 3DS one day earlier than everyone except for Japan. It was like a very small victory. xD

Yeah, that's why even though I'm American, I don't like how Europe gets shafted so much. They DO have more languages to translate to, but even so, NoE is ridiculous at times. I'm supportive of Europeans getting as much as they deserve as the Americans deserve because I lived in Europe and sorta experienced how they feel about their game versions coming out later than everyone else's.

Although, to be fair, Europe DOES on occasion one-up us. Like getting that Hyrule Warriors scarf as a pre-order bonus while Americans could only get it at the Nintendo World store. >_<

Additionally, if a game sells bad or is expected to do so, then most often Europe gets the short end of the stick. There are several games I love that didn't get released at all here, while NA got them.

Although, to be fair, Europe DOES on occasion one-up us. Like getting that Hyrule Warriors scarf as a pre-order bonus while Americans could only get it at the Nintendo World store. >_<

None of the Smash-related events that all of you were talking about in this thread were available here, as far as I know. These tourneys and demos in certain stores. None of that. I think some scarf is an acceptable price for getting all this.

I actually found it rather funny how so many complained about not having a Gamestop near them. I've got two in my city, but I could forget about that demo-event anyway. xD

I can't beat Master Core on the highest difficulty, what's the best strategy for beating him? (I have the most trouble with the first form, I take way too much damage at that phase)

I can't beat Master Core on the highest difficulty, what's the best strategy for beating him? (I have the most trouble with the first form, I take way too much damage at that phase)

Honestly I have more trouble with Master and Crazy hand. Anyways he's attacks have a huge window of start up. So take advantage of that and predict his moves and strike. His sword form however is the worst of them all. I have no strategy besides hit hard.

Edited by Ace Gamer

Don't worry, FEFan. I have full confidence that Ike will get an Amiibo! I mean, if Captain Falcon, a guy from a dead series, can get one, Ike definitely should. He's still appearing in other games (SMT x FE is on the way. And you never know if Ike's own games will get a re-release someday...) and has popularity out west.

Every character is supposed to get an amiibo, IIRC. Eventually.

This hasn't been stated anywhere. And awhile back, there was a poll here asking people whether they thought every character would get an Amiibo. Some people voted that only most or some of them would.

But I would like every character to have one so all of their fans can get one.

This hasn't been stated anywhere. And awhile back, there was a poll here asking people whether they thought every character would get an Amiibo. Some people voted that only most or some of them would.

But I would like every character to have one so all of their fans can get one.

Polls are biased. All characters will get an Amiibo. Makes no sense why they shouldn't.

It looks like we're getting Smash 4 Wii U two weeks before Japan! I guess those of us in NA get the last laugh in regards to Smash 4's release dates. (World Wide release would still be best IMO)

Edited by Shulk

It looks like we're getting Smash 4 Wii U two weeks before Japan! I guess those of us in NA get the last laugh in regards to Smash 4's release dates. (World Wide release would still be best IMO)

Was there a reason why it comes in U.S. first? Does Japan love us that much?

Anyone plans on buying all the Smash Amiibos?

Maybe to just say i own figurines of my favorite Smash characters

But for real, maybe

So far they just haven't caught my eye, ya know?

That's for getting the 3DS version first,buttholes

World wide releases are always a very cool thing